removing RESTORE folder

got a friend with a restore folder problem.
A/V scans, ScanDisk, AdAware scans
all stop or fail because of 400,000 files in the restore folder.
How can we reduce the number of files in the folder.

Thanks in advance..
RTS

Hey Rocky, lot time no read! Good to see ya! See if the following will be
of some help to your friend:
To reset System Restore:
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable
System Restore", Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot. This will flush you restore
folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable
System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should now
automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder,
System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider
to your preferred setting.
---------------------
If the above fails, try the following:
Reboot to DOS, using your Startup disk (emergency boot floppy)
type the following commands at the A:\> prompt

SMARTDRV

DELTREE C:\_RESTORE

Answer Y to the confirmation question

(This can be a lengthy process, have patience.)

When it's back at the A:\> prompt, take the floppy out of the drive, and
reboot to Windows. This will rebuild the control files, and hopefully SR
will then work properly.
Source unknown, but reliable.
Heirloom, old and plagiarizing

"Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq." <gafa_usa@/nospam\hotmail.com> wrote in message
> got a friend with a restore folder problem.
> A/V scans, ScanDisk, AdAware scans
> all stop or fail because of 400,000 files in the restore folder.
> How can we reduce the number of files in the folder.
>
> Thanks in advance..
> RTS

Source is probably either Mike M or myself, H!<g>
However, there is a much better way to clear the _Restore archive from DOS
which we discovered later -

Boot to DOS, using your Startup Disk (if you don't have one and can't make
one from Start | Add/Remove Programs, then download a diskmaker from
www.bootdisk.com, and create the floppy by running the file)

At the A:\> prompt, type the following commands (followed by [return])

ATTRIB -S -R -H C:\_RESTORE

REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

When the A:\> prompt returns, remove the floppy, and reboot the PC. The
Control Files will be rebuilt, and a Restore point should be created.

Then delete the C:\OLDREST folder, and reboot again.

Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder

This can be done in a couple of minutes - whereas the deltree instruction
can literally take hours!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> Hey Rocky, lot time no read! Good to see ya! See if the following will
> be
> of some help to your friend:
> To reset System Restore:
> System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and check "Disable
> System Restore", Apply and IMMEDIATELY reboot. This will flush you
> restore
> folder and erase all checkpoints, then,
> System | Performance | File System | Troubleshooting and uncheck "Disable
> System Restore", Apply and again IMMEDIATELY reboot. This should now
> automatically create a new checkpoint immediately following the restart.
> Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder,
> System | Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore
> slider
> to your preferred setting.
> ---------------------
> If the above fails, try the following:
> Reboot to DOS, using your Startup disk (emergency boot floppy)
> type the following commands at the A:\> prompt
>
> SMARTDRV
>
> DELTREE C:\_RESTORE
>
> Answer Y to the confirmation question
>
> (This can be a lengthy process, have patience.)
>
> When it's back at the A:\> prompt, take the floppy out of the drive, and
> reboot to Windows. This will rebuild the control files, and hopefully SR
> will then work properly.
> Source unknown, but reliable.
> Heirloom, old and plagiarizing
>

> "Rocky_T_Squirrel, Esq." <gafa_usa@/nospam\hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> got a friend with a restore folder problem.
>> A/V scans, ScanDisk, AdAware scans
>> all stop or fail because of 400,000 files in the restore folder.
>> How can we reduce the number of files in the folder.
>>
>> Thanks in advance..
>> RTS

Many thanks Heirloom and Noel
I've forwarded both replies to my friend..
(my friend has a real problem of keeping his computer clean and A/V's
updated..
I suspect he's caught a bug or had one recently..)
(he has a habit of using a cable modem without A/V or Firewall support)
I hope to get him started using PC-cillian in the near future..

Thanks again.
RTS

> Many thanks Heirloom and Noel
> I've forwarded both replies to my friend..
> (my friend has a real problem of keeping his computer clean and A/V's
> updated..
> I suspect he's caught a bug or had one recently..)
> (he has a habit of using a cable modem without A/V or Firewall support)
> I hope to get him started using PC-cillian in the near future..
>
> Thanks again.
> RTS

Good luck - recalcitrants such as this are very difficult to deal with!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

Thanks Noel, I have updated my notes to reflect, both the newer version of
resetting restore and proper credit to you.
Heirloom, old and been a yucky day