Safe mode

Is there any disadvantages to installing software (utilities included) in
safe mode? The reason for doing that is to eliminate going through the
motion of exiting out of everything to prevent conflicts as is usually
recommended. Your input is appreciated.
8 answers Last reply
More about safe mode

    Chris
    You've asked this question elsewhere, and received answers which are
    correct - why ask again here??

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > Is there any disadvantages to installing software (utilities included) in
    > safe mode? The reason for doing that is to eliminate going through the
    > motion of exiting out of everything to prevent conflicts as is usually
    > recommended. Your input is appreciated.

    Noel, are you sure I have asked that question? If so, please direct me to it
    so I can read the answer. To the best of my memory I have not, but then again
    I am getting old and old and older :-). thanks!

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > Chris
    > You've asked this question elsewhere, and received answers which are
    > correct - why ask again here??
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there any disadvantages to installing software (utilities included) in
    > > safe mode? The reason for doing that is to eliminate going through the
    > > motion of exiting out of everything to prevent conflicts as is usually
    > > recommended. Your input is appreciated.

    I don't think you can install anything in Safe Mode. But, hey, I'm not an
    expert. I may be wrong. Just what I thought. Irving
    > Noel, are you sure I have asked that question? If so, please direct me to
    it
    > so I can read the answer. To the best of my memory I have not, but then
    again
    > I am getting old and old and older :-). thanks!
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    > > Chris
    > > You've asked this question elsewhere, and received answers which are
    > > correct - why ask again here??
    > >

    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >
    > > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    > >
    > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Is there any disadvantages to installing software (utilities included)
    in
    > > > safe mode? The reason for doing that is to eliminate going through
    the
    > > > motion of exiting out of everything to prevent conflicts as is usually
    > > > recommended. Your input is appreciated.

    Irving, I have been installing stuff from safe mode with no problem for a
    while now. However, like Noel says can't use the CD rom though. I have only
    been doing that for downloads and stuff. Thanks for the input.
    "Irving Rosenfeld" wrote:

    > I don't think you can install anything in Safe Mode. But, hey, I'm not an
    > expert. I may be wrong. Just what I thought. Irving
    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Noel, are you sure I have asked that question? If so, please direct me to
    > it
    > > so I can read the answer. To the best of my memory I have not, but then
    > again
    > > I am getting old and old and older :-). thanks!
    > >
    > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Chris
    > > > You've asked this question elsewhere, and received answers which are
    > > > correct - why ask again here??
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > > >
    > > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > > >
    > > > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > > > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    > > >
    > > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    > NG's
    > > >
    > > > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > in
    > the

    In article <8221BA62-6C3A-40E5-8EA0-A61C1331E5BB@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?
    Q2hyaXM=?= says...

    > Is there any disadvantages to installing software (utilities included) in
    > safe mode? The reason for doing that is to eliminate going through the
    > motion of exiting out of everything to prevent conflicts as is usually
    > recommended. Your input is appreciated.

    I don't recall that I ever used Safe Mode for much; mostly drastic problems,
    which have been very rare, here. I have had my share of troubles with the
    latest flap over Kb891711; but I have not even resorted to System Restore
    for the problem.

    In my case, I usually just install from the "Normal" mode; unless something
    in the installation notes suggests I should disable a wad of stuff, then I
    just fire up 'msconfig', disable the startup group, let the system reboot,
    then install. Be sure to run 'msconfig' again and re-enable the startup
    group if you do that.

    You should disable any AV program. Norton Antivirus has a one-click disable
    feature. AVG7 requires launching the Control Center, then checking the
    Properties of the Resident Shield; uncheck everything that is checked, OK
    out, done. Re-enabling the Resident Shield is just a one click operation;
    when the Shield is down, clicking on Properties gives you the choice to
    "Activate" the Shield.

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    Hmm - I find that it's my memory that's in error - either that or you have
    'Frank Dennis' as a pseudonym! (in the alt.windows-me newsgroup)

    My apologies.

    To answer your question -

    Installing a program while in Safe Mode is normally done for one of two
    reasons
    1) there are existing drivers which may conflict with the install process
    2) to avoid having to disable or uninstall an anti-virus - or to avoid
    action of a virus itself.

    However, one of the major drawbacks of Safe Mode in Win9x is the lack of use
    of the CD-Drive - which means that it's only small programs that can be
    installed, unless you are able/prepared to copy the installation program to
    the HD.

    Generally, it's best to install program in Normal Mode

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > Noel, are you sure I have asked that question? If so, please direct me to
    > it
    > so I can read the answer. To the best of my memory I have not, but then
    > again
    > I am getting old and old and older :-). thanks!
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> Chris
    >> You've asked this question elsewhere, and received answers which are
    >> correct - why ask again here??
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Is there any disadvantages to installing software (utilities included)
    >> > in
    >> > safe mode? The reason for doing that is to eliminate going through the
    >> > motion of exiting out of everything to prevent conflicts as is usually
    >> > recommended. Your input is appreciated.

    Thank YOU!

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > Hmm - I find that it's my memory that's in error - either that or you have
    > 'Frank Dennis' as a pseudonym! (in the alt.windows-me newsgroup)
    >
    > My apologies.
    >
    > To answer your question -
    >
    > Installing a program while in Safe Mode is normally done for one of two
    > reasons
    > 1) there are existing drivers which may conflict with the install process
    > 2) to avoid having to disable or uninstall an anti-virus - or to avoid
    > action of a virus itself.
    >
    > However, one of the major drawbacks of Safe Mode in Win9x is the lack of use
    > of the CD-Drive - which means that it's only small programs that can be
    > installed, unless you are able/prepared to copy the installation program to
    > the HD.
    >
    > Generally, it's best to install program in Normal Mode
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Noel, are you sure I have asked that question? If so, please direct me to
    > > it
    > > so I can read the answer. To the best of my memory I have not, but then
    > > again
    > > I am getting old and old and older :-). thanks!
    > >
    > > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Chris
    > >> You've asked this question elsewhere, and received answers which are
    > >> correct - why ask again here??
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >>
    > >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > >>
    > >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    > >>
    > >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    > >>
    > >> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You're welcome, Chris

    --

    > Thank YOU!
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm - I find that it's my memory that's in error - either that or you
    >> have
    >> 'Frank Dennis' as a pseudonym! (in the alt.windows-me newsgroup)
    >>
    >> My apologies.
    >>
    >> To answer your question -
    >>
    >> Installing a program while in Safe Mode is normally done for one of two
    >> reasons
    >> 1) there are existing drivers which may conflict with the install process
    >> 2) to avoid having to disable or uninstall an anti-virus - or to avoid
    >> action of a virus itself.
    >>
    >> However, one of the major drawbacks of Safe Mode in Win9x is the lack of
    >> use
    >> of the CD-Drive - which means that it's only small programs that can be
    >> installed, unless you are able/prepared to copy the installation program
    >> the HD.
    >>
    >> Generally, it's best to install program in Normal Mode
    >>

    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Noel, are you sure I have asked that question? If so, please direct me
    >> > it
    >> > so I can read the answer. To the best of my memory I have not, but then
    >> > again
    >> > I am getting old and old and older :-). thanks!

Safe Mode Microsoft Software Windows