KB891711 - problems??

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

Sorry for the cross-post, but this (hopefully) may be important.

I'm attempting to correlate some data to find out the cause of people's
problems with this patch

Current advice from MS, is for those affected by the problem to either
uninstall the patch (Add/Remove Programs) or prevent it from running at
startup (use MSCONFIG|Startup)

What I'd like is for everyone (and anyone!) affected by this problem to
email me (my addy here is valid) with a copy of their Everest Home Edition
(or AIDA32) report.

To do this, please read the following carefully

Download and install Everest Home Edition from www.lavalys.hu and install
it.

Run the program, and once it's up and running, click on

Report
Quick report - All Pages
(here you can pick your choice - I'd prefer HTML, but if you're worried
about your privacy, then Text is a better option)

When the report is complete (please don't click on anything until it is
complete!) Save it!!!

Remove any information that you may consider sensitive - but please put
something in its place! (I suggest <removed>) so that I know that something
is missing

Save the (amended) file as "Report <your email>"

then email it to me as an attachment at
noeldpspamless@btopenworld.com

I can't promise to respond - but I'll try to at least acknowledge receipt,
particularly if you put some detail into the covering email.

Many thanks for your patience in reading this - I hope it makes sense!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

I request that users with the KB891711 problem run this simple test.

First, temporarily disable KB891711.EXE by using msconfig/Startup to uncheck
the box which launches it at boot. Reboot.
Then replace the current video adapter/driver with the MS plain-vanilla SVGA
driver, using the wizard in Device Manager.
Reboot and confirm that all is well. When satisfied that the machine and the
browser work fine, use msconfig to reenable the KB891711 "patch", reboot,
and see if the problems return, or remain absent.
Revert to the original video driver when desired, while disabling the
"patch", if necessary.

Please report all results to Noel.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
> Sorry for the cross-post, but this (hopefully) may be important.
>
> I'm attempting to correlate some data to find out the cause of people's
> problems with this patch
>
> Current advice from MS, is for those affected by the problem to either
> uninstall the patch (Add/Remove Programs) or prevent it from running at
> startup (use MSCONFIG|Startup)
>
> What I'd like is for everyone (and anyone!) affected by this problem to
> email me (my addy here is valid) with a copy of their Everest Home Edition
> (or AIDA32) report.
>
> To do this, please read the following carefully
>
> Download and install Everest Home Edition from www.lavalys.hu and install
> it.
>
> Run the program, and once it's up and running, click on
>
> Report
> Quick report - All Pages
> (here you can pick your choice - I'd prefer HTML, but if you're worried
> about your privacy, then Text is a better option)
>
> When the report is complete (please don't click on anything until it is
> complete!) Save it!!!
>
> Remove any information that you may consider sensitive - but please put
> something in its place! (I suggest <removed>) so that I know that
something
> is missing
>

> Save the (amended) file as "Report <your email>"
>
> then email it to me as an attachment at
> noeldpspamless@btopenworld.com
>
> I can't promise to respond - but I'll try to at least acknowledge receipt,
> particularly if you put some detail into the covering email.
>
> Many thanks for your patience in reading this - I hope it makes sense!!
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Noel, I just sent you my report. After all, I think, I was one the first ones
to report the bug and creat the havec :).

In article <OIzeqWuMFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, Noel Paton says...

> Sorry for the cross-post, but this (hopefully) may be important.

> I'm attempting to correlate some data to find out the cause of people's
> problems with this patch

<snip>

> What I'd like is for everyone (and anyone!) affected by this problem to
> email me (my addy here is valid) with a copy of their Everest Home Edition
> (or AIDA32) report.

> To do this, please read the following carefully

> Download and install Everest Home Edition from www.lavalys.hu and install
> it.

> Run the program, and once it's up and running, click on

> Report
> Quick report - All Pages

<snip>

> Save the (amended) file as "Report <your email>"

> then email it to me as an attachment at
> noeldpspamless@btopenworld.com

<snip>

Done. I also noted the fact that my computer runs fine with the KB891711
patch as long as I am not running Mercury Mail. I used 'msconfig' to disable
MM from loading on startup. As long as MM is not running, this computer, and
its sister, run KB891711 with no problem. As soon as I enable MM on this
computer, trying to launch any browser causes a blue screen.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

In article <esFy5gvMFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, Jack E Martinelli
says...

> I request that users with the KB891711 problem run this simple test.

> First, temporarily disable KB891711.EXE by using msconfig/Startup to uncheck
> the box which launches it at boot. Reboot.
> Then replace the current video adapter/driver with the MS plain-vanilla SVGA
> driver, using the wizard in Device Manager.
> Reboot and confirm that all is well. When satisfied that the machine and the
> browser work fine, use msconfig to reenable the KB891711 "patch", reboot,
> and see if the problems return, or remain absent.
> Revert to the original video driver when desired, while disabling the
> "patch", if necessary.

> Please report all results to Noel.

I don't have to run your test. As you recall, I have two mostly identical HP
Pavilion 6745C computers; Megumi crashes, Naomi doesn't. I tried this little
test:

Run 'msconfig'. Disable just one item in the startup list: Mercury Mail.
Reboot. Rename 'Kb891711.DLL.dud' to 'Kb891711.DLL'. Rename
'Kb891711.EXE.dud' to 'Kb891711.EXE'. Double-click on 'Kb891711.EXE'. Check
the "Close Programs" list to verify that 'Kb891711' is in the list. Launch
any browser. Computer works just fine. Load Mercury Mail manually. Launch
any browser. Blue screen on browser launch.

It seems pretty clear that I can run Kb891711 on my troublesome computer; if
I don't run the Mercury Mail Transport application. I did, finally, set up
the Everest Home program, and sent a copy of the report to Noel. I think I
will send him a copy from Naomi, as well.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Thanks, Chris - I've replied by email

FWIW - currently, the relevant bits are:
Dell Dimension 4300
Chipset: i845
Graphics: GeForce 2 MX/MX400 - driver version 6.1.7.6 (nVidia)

The rest I'll keep for later comparisons.

--

> Noel, I just sent you my report. After all, I think, I was one the first
> ones
> to report the bug and creat the havec :).
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>
>> Sorry for the cross-post, but this (hopefully) may be important.
>>
>> I'm attempting to correlate some data to find out the cause of people's
>> problems with this patch
>>
>> Current advice from MS, is for those affected by the problem to either
>> uninstall the patch (Add/Remove Programs) or prevent it from running at
>> startup (use MSCONFIG|Startup)
>>
>> What I'd like is for everyone (and anyone!) affected by this problem to
>> email me (my addy here is valid) with a copy of their Everest Home
>> Edition
>> (or AIDA32) report.
>>
>> To do this, please read the following carefully
>>
>> Download and install Everest Home Edition from www.lavalys.hu and install
>> it.
>>
>> Run the program, and once it's up and running, click on
>>
>> Report
>> Quick report - All Pages
>> (here you can pick your choice - I'd prefer HTML, but if you're worried
>> about your privacy, then Text is a better option)
>>
>> When the report is complete (please don't click on anything until it is
>> complete!) Save it!!!
>>
>> Remove any information that you may consider sensitive - but please put
>> something in its place! (I suggest <removed>) so that I know that
>> something
>> is missing
>>

>> Save the (amended) file as "Report <your email>"
>>
>> then email it to me as an attachment at
>> noeldpspamless@btopenworld.com
>>
>> I can't promise to respond - but I'll try to at least acknowledge
>> receipt,
>> particularly if you put some detail into the covering email.
>>
>> Many thanks for your patience in reading this - I hope it makes sense!!
>>
>> --
>> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
>> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
>>
>> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks. Got it. Now when I come here with problems you know exactly where I
come from (i.e pc background) :). Thanks for your recommendations, also.
"Noel Paton" wrote:

> Thanks, Chris - I've replied by email
>
> FWIW - currently, the relevant bits are:
> Dell Dimension 4300
> Chipset: i845
> Graphics: GeForce 2 MX/MX400 - driver version 6.1.7.6 (nVidia)
>
> The rest I'll keep for later comparisons.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Noel, I just sent you my report. After all, I think, I was one the first
> > ones
> > to report the bug and creat the havec :).
> >
> > "Noel Paton" wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry for the cross-post, but this (hopefully) may be important.
> >>
> >> I'm attempting to correlate some data to find out the cause of people's
> >> problems with this patch
> >>
> >> Current advice from MS, is for those affected by the problem to either
> >> uninstall the patch (Add/Remove Programs) or prevent it from running at
> >> startup (use MSCONFIG|Startup)
> >>
> >> What I'd like is for everyone (and anyone!) affected by this problem to
> >> email me (my addy here is valid) with a copy of their Everest Home
> >> Edition
> >> (or AIDA32) report.
> >>
> >> To do this, please read the following carefully
> >>
> >> Download and install Everest Home Edition from www.lavalys.hu and install
> >> it.
> >>
> >> Run the program, and once it's up and running, click on
> >>
> >> Report
> >> Quick report - All Pages
> >> (here you can pick your choice - I'd prefer HTML, but if you're worried
> >> about your privacy, then Text is a better option)
> >>
> >> When the report is complete (please don't click on anything until it is
> >> complete!) Save it!!!
> >>
> >> Remove any information that you may consider sensitive - but please put
> >> something in its place! (I suggest <removed>) so that I know that
> >> something
> >> is missing
> >>

> >> Save the (amended) file as "Report <your email>"
> >>
> >> then email it to me as an attachment at
> >> noeldpspamless@btopenworld.com
> >>
> >> I can't promise to respond - but I'll try to at least acknowledge
> >> receipt,
> >> particularly if you put some detail into the covering email.
> >>
> >> Many thanks for your patience in reading this - I hope it makes sense!!
> >>
> >> --
> >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >>
> >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
> >>
> >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
> >>
> >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

Norman,

Are you now saying that the version of the Intel drivers makes no
difference? Previously I thought that you had said the difference between
the two PCs was that the one that was crashing had Intel driver version
4.13.01.3196 and that which didn't had version 4.13.01.3004. Does this
mean that you have now eliminated the difference in driver version as
being a factor?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

N. Miller <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Done. I also noted the fact that my computer runs fine with the
> KB891711 patch as long as I am not running Mercury Mail. I used
> 'msconfig' to disable MM from loading on startup. As long as MM is
> not running, this computer, and its sister, run KB891711 with no
> problem. As soon as I enable MM on this computer, trying to launch
> any browser causes a blue screen.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

Thanks, Norman - that's good data, and the reports have arrived safely

--

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In article <esFy5gvMFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, Jack E Martinelli
> says...
>
>> I request that users with the KB891711 problem run this simple test.
>
>> First, temporarily disable KB891711.EXE by using msconfig/Startup to
>> uncheck
>> the box which launches it at boot. Reboot.
>> Then replace the current video adapter/driver with the MS plain-vanilla
>> SVGA
>> driver, using the wizard in Device Manager.
>> Reboot and confirm that all is well. When satisfied that the machine and
>> the
>> browser work fine, use msconfig to reenable the KB891711 "patch", reboot,
>> and see if the problems return, or remain absent.
>> Revert to the original video driver when desired, while disabling the
>> "patch", if necessary.
>
>> Please report all results to Noel.
>
> I don't have to run your test. As you recall, I have two mostly identical
> HP
> Pavilion 6745C computers; Megumi crashes, Naomi doesn't. I tried this
> little
> test:
>
> Run 'msconfig'. Disable just one item in the startup list: Mercury Mail.
> Reboot. Rename 'Kb891711.DLL.dud' to 'Kb891711.DLL'. Rename
> 'Kb891711.EXE.dud' to 'Kb891711.EXE'. Double-click on 'Kb891711.EXE'.
> Check
> the "Close Programs" list to verify that 'Kb891711' is in the list. Launch
> any browser. Computer works just fine. Load Mercury Mail manually. Launch
> any browser. Blue screen on browser launch.
>
> It seems pretty clear that I can run Kb891711 on my troublesome computer;
> if
> I don't run the Mercury Mail Transport application. I did, finally, set up
> the Everest Home program, and sent a copy of the report to Noel. I think I
> will send him a copy from Naomi, as well.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

Thank you, Norman. Your results are very interesting. I've read one other
recent report from Jeff Richards, in win98. gen_discussion, where using the
MS video drivers, instead of the third-party ones, avoided the KB891711
problem on at least one machine.

I still haven't found a machine exhibiting the problem.

In article <OCCer3zMFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, Mike M says...

> Are you now saying that the version of the Intel drivers makes no
> difference? Previously I thought that you had said the difference between
> the two PCs was that the one that was crashing had Intel driver version
> 4.13.01.3196 and that which didn't had version 4.13.01.3004. Does this
> mean that you have now eliminated the difference in driver version as
> being a factor?

I though that I had posted a correction. When I ran that test, I failed to
restart, so the Kb891711 patch was not running during the test. I re-ran
things. With older version of the Intel drivers, Kb891711 causes crashes on
Megumi, but not on Naomi. With the newer version of the Intel drivers,
Kb891711 causes crashes on Megumi, but not on Naomi. When I stop the Mercury
Mail MTA from running in the startup group, neither driver causes crashes on
Megumi; only the combination of Mercury Mail and Kb891711 running causes
crashes on Megumi. Oddly, the crashes only occur while launching browsers.
It is a puzzle; and I am considering additional tests by changing the
modules running when the Mercury Mail MTA is launched. I will go to a bare
bones startup; minimal, if you will. If it doesn't cause crashes I will add
back the modules, one by one, until the crashes resume.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

Thanks for your persistence, Norman - this type of help is invaluable to us!

--

> In article <OCCer3zMFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, Mike M says...
>
>> Are you now saying that the version of the Intel drivers makes no
>> difference? Previously I thought that you had said the difference
>> between
>> the two PCs was that the one that was crashing had Intel driver version
>> 4.13.01.3196 and that which didn't had version 4.13.01.3004. Does this
>> mean that you have now eliminated the difference in driver version as
>> being a factor?
>
> I though that I had posted a correction. When I ran that test, I failed to
> restart, so the Kb891711 patch was not running during the test. I re-ran
> things. With older version of the Intel drivers, Kb891711 causes crashes
> on
> Megumi, but not on Naomi. With the newer version of the Intel drivers,
> Kb891711 causes crashes on Megumi, but not on Naomi. When I stop the
> Mercury
> Mail MTA from running in the startup group, neither driver causes crashes
> on
> Megumi; only the combination of Mercury Mail and Kb891711 running causes
> crashes on Megumi. Oddly, the crashes only occur while launching browsers.
> It is a puzzle; and I am considering additional tests by changing the
> modules running when the Mercury Mail MTA is launched. I will go to a bare
> bones startup; minimal, if you will. If it doesn't cause crashes I will
> add
> back the modules, one by one, until the crashes resume.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

N. Miller <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> In article <OCCer3zMFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, Mike M says...

> I though that I had posted a correction.

You probably did. It's far more likely that I missed your post.

> When I ran that test, I
> failed to restart, so the Kb891711 patch was not running during the
> test. I re-ran things. With older version of the Intel drivers,
> Kb891711 causes crashes on Megumi, but not on Naomi. With the newer
> version of the Intel drivers, Kb891711 causes crashes on Megumi, but
> not on Naomi.

So Naomi doesn't blue screen regardless of the driver version but Megumi
crashes regardless of driver version. Thanks for the clarification. I'd
hoped you might have been bringing us closer to a possible reason there.

In article <#ubESj9MFHA.1732@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Mike M says...

> So Naomi doesn't blue screen regardless of the driver version but Megumi
> crashes regardless of driver version. Thanks for the clarification. I'd
> hoped you might have been bringing us closer to a possible reason there.

Correct. The factor in Megumi crashing seems to be the running of the
Mercury Mail Transport application. I can run the patch on Megumi with
crashing if I don't load Mercury Mail. Oddly, the crash only occurs on
trying to launch browsers. Nothing else seems to be problematic; at least
among the commonly used applications. If I could afford to use Megumi as a
test bed, I would unload everything, and start from scratch. Add back
application at a time, and run things; only after fully updating Windws ME,
of course. Alas, I have no other computer to use while doing that.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

Norman, I have an HP 6735 Pavilion running HP Win ME and am curious, can you
enable dialup proxy server under internet options > connections > settings >
advanced (I think) ? Mine is permanently disabled and I do not understand
this, neither does HP support apparently.
Thanks

"N. Miller" wrote:

> In article <esFy5gvMFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, Jack E Martinelli
> says...
>
> > I request that users with the KB891711 problem run this simple test.
>
> > First, temporarily disable KB891711.EXE by using msconfig/Startup to uncheck
> > the box which launches it at boot. Reboot.
> > Then replace the current video adapter/driver with the MS plain-vanilla SVGA
> > driver, using the wizard in Device Manager.
> > Reboot and confirm that all is well. When satisfied that the machine and the
> > browser work fine, use msconfig to reenable the KB891711 "patch", reboot,
> > and see if the problems return, or remain absent.
> > Revert to the original video driver when desired, while disabling the
> > "patch", if necessary.
>
> > Please report all results to Noel.
>
> I don't have to run your test. As you recall, I have two mostly identical HP
> Pavilion 6745C computers; Megumi crashes, Naomi doesn't. I tried this little
> test:
>
> Run 'msconfig'. Disable just one item in the startup list: Mercury Mail.
> Reboot. Rename 'Kb891711.DLL.dud' to 'Kb891711.DLL'. Rename
> 'Kb891711.EXE.dud' to 'Kb891711.EXE'. Double-click on 'Kb891711.EXE'. Check
> the "Close Programs" list to verify that 'Kb891711' is in the list. Launch
> any browser. Computer works just fine. Load Mercury Mail manually. Launch
> any browser. Blue screen on browser launch.
>
> It seems pretty clear that I can run Kb891711 on my troublesome computer; if
> I don't run the Mercury Mail Transport application. I did, finally, set up
> the Everest Home program, and sent a copy of the report to Noel. I think I
> will send him a copy from Naomi, as well.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.display,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.new-user,microsoft.public.windowsme.software (More info?)

In article <E5BF4C1A-01E7-4EAB-A29F-2FBA2F4443C7@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?
VGhlUmVhbEZhc3RsYW5l?= says...

First point; I wish you had create a new thread with the Subject: something
like: "Ping NormanM: HP Pavilion 6735 dial up proxy problem". This clearly
is not related to the current subject, and I would notice my name in the
subject!

> Norman, I have an HP 6735 Pavilion running HP Win ME and am curious, can you
> enable dialup proxy server under internet options > connections > settings >
> advanced (I think) ? Mine is permanently disabled and I do not understand
> this, neither does HP support apparently.

Actually, it is under the "Settings..." button. Dial up proxy server? I
don't see that as an option. All I have is "Use a proxy server for this
connection", and a place to enter an IP address and port number. Is that
what you want? I is enabled in my case, so there may be a conflicting
setting somewhere else. I see that you have a Level3 dial up connection:

Sam Spade tells me:

04/08/05 15:34:45 dns 4.228.96.93
nslookup 4.228.96.93
Canonical name: dialup-4.228.96.93.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net
Addresses:
4.228.96.93

But I don't think Level3 is an ISP in any area, they just contract with ISPs
to provide Points Of Presence (POPs) for them; SBC, my ISP, gives me a
Level3 IP address in the 4.0.0.0/8 range whenever I use a modem to connect,
instead of my normal DSL connection.

You may need to check with your ISP, if you installed their software. As a
rule, one should never install the software their ISP sends. Other than
that, maybe a registry hack will help; but I don't even know which key to
check.

Is anything else checked on that same dialogue box?