Explorer error message after reboot

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 27, 2005 5:01:03 PM

I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000. Every
time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:

Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If you
continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.

I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my home
network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I press
the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.

I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all your
instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I have
is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot get
it to change.

I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:52:18 PM

1) Confirm that the KB891711 "patch" is not executing after boot, by
examining Task Manager, where it will appear if it is running, or using any
other process viewer.

2) Determine what your video hardware is and change the video driver to it
using Device Manager. You may wish to obtain the latest driver from the
maker at this time.

3) Win Explorer Errors
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm

4) Seriously consider upgrading to IE 6 SP1 for better security.

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"wr4fsu" <wr4fsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000.
Every
> time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:
>
> Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If
you
> continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
>
> I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my home
> network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I
press
> the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.
>
> I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all your
> instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I
have
> is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot
get
> it to change.
>
> I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
> joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 10:52:19 PM

1. I confirmed that I was not running that patch in Task Manager.
2. When I uninstalled the video driver so I could replace it, it stopped
booting altogether. In hindsight, I know I should have updated driver rather
than uninstall/reinstall.
3. Got the website ready to use.
4. Yep, I have it here, just have put off replacing it til I had "more
time"....yeah, right.

Thanks.

"Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

> 1) Confirm that the KB891711 "patch" is not executing after boot, by
> examining Task Manager, where it will appear if it is running, or using any
> other process viewer.
>
> 2) Determine what your video hardware is and change the video driver to it
> using Device Manager. You may wish to obtain the latest driver from the
> maker at this time.
>
> 3) Win Explorer Errors
> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm
>
> 4) Seriously consider upgrading to IE 6 SP1 for better security.

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "wr4fsu" <wr4fsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000.
> Every
> > time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:
> >
> > Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If
> you
> > continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
> >
> > I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my home
> > network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I
> press
> > the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.
> >
> > I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all your
> > instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I
> have
> > is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot
> get
> > it to change.
> >
> > I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
> > joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!

March 28, 2005 5:04:08 AM

WRT the Display problem....

Reboot to Safe Mode
Open Device Manager
Remove ALL Display Adapters
Remove ALL Monitors
Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers -
hopefully curing your problem.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> 1) Confirm that the KB891711 "patch" is not executing after boot, by
> examining Task Manager, where it will appear if it is running, or using
> any
> other process viewer.
>
> 2) Determine what your video hardware is and change the video driver to
> it
> using Device Manager. You may wish to obtain the latest driver from the
> maker at this time.
>
> 3) Win Explorer Errors
> http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm
>
> 4) Seriously consider upgrading to IE 6 SP1 for better security.

> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "wr4fsu" <wr4fsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000.
> Every
>> time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:
>>
>> Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If
> you
>> continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
>>
>> I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my
>> home
>> network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I
> press
>> the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.
>>
>> I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all
>> your
>> instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I
> have
>> is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot
> get
>> it to change.
>>
>> I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
>> joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:04:09 AM

Hi Noel. I did that and when Windows tries to reinstall the driver, now I
get a message that says:

Cmdninst has caused an error in<unknown>. If the problem persists, try
rebooting your computer.

Then the screen goes dead and it does nothing. Now I am really in a
pickle....
I am using floppies to get my few critical files off the darn thing so I can
upgrade it to XP from scratch.....thanks!

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> WRT the Display problem....
>
> Reboot to Safe Mode
> Open Device Manager
> Remove ALL Display Adapters
> Remove ALL Monitors
> Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers -
> hopefully curing your problem.
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > 1) Confirm that the KB891711 "patch" is not executing after boot, by
> > examining Task Manager, where it will appear if it is running, or using
> > any
> > other process viewer.
> >
> > 2) Determine what your video hardware is and change the video driver to
> > it
> > using Device Manager. You may wish to obtain the latest driver from the
> > maker at this time.
> >
> > 3) Win Explorer Errors
> > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm
> >
> > 4) Seriously consider upgrading to IE 6 SP1 for better security.
> >
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "wr4fsu" <wr4fsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000.
> > Every
> >> time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:
> >>
> >> Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If
> > you
> >> continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
> >>
> >> I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my
> >> home
> >> network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I
> > press
> >> the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.
> >>
> >> I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all
> >> your
> >> instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I
> > have
> >> is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot
> > get
> >> it to change.
> >>
> >> I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
> >> joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:47:58 PM

You need to update the drivers for your video/display adapter

Go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers from there
run the installer while in Safe Mode, then reboot to Normal Mode

--

!