Explorer error message after reboot

I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000. Every
time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:

Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If you
continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.

I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my home
network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I press
the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.

I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all your
instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I have
is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot get
it to change.

I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!
5 answers Last reply
More about explorer error message reboot

    1) Confirm that the KB891711 "patch" is not executing after boot, by
    examining Task Manager, where it will appear if it is running, or using any
    other process viewer.

    2) Determine what your video hardware is and change the video driver to it
    using Device Manager. You may wish to obtain the latest driver from the
    maker at this time.

    3) Win Explorer Errors
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm

    4) Seriously consider upgrading to IE 6 SP1 for better security.

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "wr4fsu" <wr4fsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000.
    Every
    > time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:
    >
    > Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If
    you
    > continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
    >
    > I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my home
    > network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I
    press
    > the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.
    >
    > I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all your
    > instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I
    have
    > is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot
    get
    > it to change.
    >
    > I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
    > joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!

    1. I confirmed that I was not running that patch in Task Manager.
    2. When I uninstalled the video driver so I could replace it, it stopped
    booting altogether. In hindsight, I know I should have updated driver rather
    than uninstall/reinstall.
    3. Got the website ready to use.
    4. Yep, I have it here, just have put off replacing it til I had "more
    time"....yeah, right.

    Thanks.

    "Jack E Martinelli" wrote:

    > 1) Confirm that the KB891711 "patch" is not executing after boot, by
    > examining Task Manager, where it will appear if it is running, or using any
    > other process viewer.
    >
    > 2) Determine what your video hardware is and change the video driver to it
    > using Device Manager. You may wish to obtain the latest driver from the
    > maker at this time.
    >
    > 3) Win Explorer Errors
    > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm
    >
    > 4) Seriously consider upgrading to IE 6 SP1 for better security.

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "wr4fsu" <wr4fsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000.
    > Every
    > > time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:
    > >
    > > Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If
    > you
    > > continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
    > >
    > > I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my home
    > > network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I
    > press
    > > the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.
    > >
    > > I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all your
    > > instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I
    > have
    > > is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot
    > get
    > > it to change.
    > >
    > > I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
    > > joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!

    WRT the Display problem....

    Reboot to Safe Mode
    Open Device Manager
    Remove ALL Display Adapters
    Remove ALL Monitors
    Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers -
    hopefully curing your problem.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > 1) Confirm that the KB891711 "patch" is not executing after boot, by
    > examining Task Manager, where it will appear if it is running, or using
    > any
    > other process viewer.
    >
    > 2) Determine what your video hardware is and change the video driver to
    > it
    > using Device Manager. You may wish to obtain the latest driver from the
    > maker at this time.
    >
    > 3) Win Explorer Errors
    > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm
    >
    > 4) Seriously consider upgrading to IE 6 SP1 for better security.

    > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "wr4fsu" <wr4fsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000.
    > Every
    >> time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:
    >>
    >> Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If
    > you
    >> continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
    >>
    >> I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my
    >> home
    >> network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I
    > press
    >> the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.
    >>
    >> I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all
    >> your
    >> instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I
    > have
    >> is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot
    > get
    >> it to change.
    >>
    >> I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
    >> joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!

    Hi Noel. I did that and when Windows tries to reinstall the driver, now I
    get a message that says:

    Cmdninst has caused an error in<unknown>. If the problem persists, try
    rebooting your computer.

    Then the screen goes dead and it does nothing. Now I am really in a
    pickle....
    I am using floppies to get my few critical files off the darn thing so I can
    upgrade it to XP from scratch.....thanks!

    "Noel Paton" wrote:

    > WRT the Display problem....
    >
    > Reboot to Safe Mode
    > Open Device Manager
    > Remove ALL Display Adapters
    > Remove ALL Monitors
    > Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers -
    > hopefully curing your problem.
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > 1) Confirm that the KB891711 "patch" is not executing after boot, by
    > > examining Task Manager, where it will appear if it is running, or using
    > > any
    > > other process viewer.
    > >
    > > 2) Determine what your video hardware is and change the video driver to
    > > it
    > > using Device Manager. You may wish to obtain the latest driver from the
    > > maker at this time.
    > >
    > > 3) Win Explorer Errors
    > > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm
    > >
    > > 4) Seriously consider upgrading to IE 6 SP1 for better security.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "wr4fsu" <wr4fsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> I am running Win ME on a 700 MHz machine with IE 5.5 and Office 2000.
    > > Every
    > >> time I reboot my machine, I receive an error that says:
    > >>
    > >> Explorer has caused an error in <unknown>. Explorer will now close. If
    > > you
    > >> continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer.
    > >>
    > >> I can access other functions of the computer and it can be seen by my
    > >> home
    > >> network, as long as I let the Explorer error stay on the screen. If I
    > > press
    > >> the CLOSE button, it just pops back up immediately.
    > >>
    > >> I did have the KB891711.exe file on my system and I have followed all
    > >> your
    > >> instructions from previous posts to remove it. An additional problem I
    > > have
    > >> is that my video will only use 16 colors and 640X480 settings; I cannot
    > > get
    > >> it to change.
    > >>
    > >> I have read postings for info about this Explorer error and have found no
    > >> joy. Thanks to all who help on this NG. It is a great resource!

    You need to update the drivers for your video/display adapter

    Go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers from there
    run the installer while in Safe Mode, then reboot to Normal Mode

    --

    > Hi Noel. I did that and when Windows tries to reinstall the driver, now I
    > get a message that says:
    >
    > Cmdninst has caused an error in<unknown>. If the problem persists, try
    > rebooting your computer.
    >
    > Then the screen goes dead and it does nothing. Now I am really in a
    > pickle....
    > I am using floppies to get my few critical files off the darn thing so I
    > can
    > upgrade it to XP from scratch.....thanks!
    >
    > "Noel Paton" wrote:
    >
    >> WRT the Display problem....
    >>
    >> Reboot to Safe Mode
    >> Open Device Manager
    >> Remove ALL Display Adapters
    >> Remove ALL Monitors
    >> Reboot to Normal Mode - Windows will reinstall the required drivers -
    >> hopefully curing your problem.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>
    >> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >> http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>
    >> In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    >>
    >> Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>
    >> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    >> > 1) Confirm that the KB891711 "patch" is not executing after boot, by
    >> > examining Task Manager, where it will appear if it is running, or using
    >> > any
    >> > other process viewer.
    >> >
    >> > 2) Determine what your video hardware is and change the video driver
    >> > it
    >> > using Device Manager. You may wish to obtain the latest driver from
    >> > the
    >> > maker at this time.
    >> >
    >> > 3) Win Explorer Errors
    >> > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/errexplo.htm
    >> >
    >> > 4) Seriously consider upgrading to IE 6 SP1 for better security.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    >> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >> >
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >> > ------
    >> > "wr4fsu" <wr4fsu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Every

    >> > you

    >> > press

    >> > have
    >> > get

Internet Explorer Explorer Error Message Windows