Sign in with
Your question

How to set up an office server

Last response: in Business Computing
April 21, 2011 11:15:33 PM

Hi, I am a decent amateur computer user, and I decided to help a friend out by helping him set up his small business server system. However now I am finding that it is a bit more involved than I thought.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out and give me some directions to get headed in the right direction.

I am trying to use it as a file back up for the office with 4 or 5 access points, as well as a host for our accounting program.(which has a server function built in). I have set up the remote desktop access top the server. However I can figure out how to set up the file sharing aspect. I have had some experience with home networks. I am running Microsoft Windows 2008 Standard (64-bit) in the following system:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX28887%28ME%...

I realize that there is a fair amount of specialized knowledge involved in this, and I have been doing some reading. However if someone could get me headed in the correct direction that would be very much appreciated.

More about : set office server

April 26, 2011 7:48:21 PM

The best advice is to google "win server 08 how to xyz". There are a ton of articles on every last bit of configuration.

However, if you still have specific questions, please reply. There are lots of knowledgeable people here.
May 10, 2011 12:32:32 PM

You need to do some sort of drive mapping to get them to show up as a shared folder under the "my computer" section. also you could open explorer and type \\servername and it will show all the folders you have set up to share in sbsconsole.
July 4, 2011 6:07:19 AM

Setup a domain on the Server 2008 box. say [companyname.com]

Now, if all the computers you are using are all in the same building, it should be easy. Go to each of them (This is easier for beginners that configuring it other ways.) If running a version of windows, in the networking option select: Connect to a Network. You should be able to select from a workgroup or a domain. Select domain and enter [companyname.com]

Look up how to setup a domain. And in the future, don't bite off more than you can chew. At least you admitted ignorance before too much damage was done.
!