Sign in with
Your question

Need basic router advice

Last response: in Networking
April 4, 2003 5:08:03 AM

I'm looking for a router to hook my two computers to share my internet connection...

I need one that will support online gaming...and has 2-4 ports...

I don't really need firewall support...because I'm running Zone Alarm on both computers and I think that should be sufficient...

Any suggestions?

Aliu

More about : basic router advice

April 4, 2003 7:36:24 AM

Pretty much any router will do, or you can run Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the XP machine (through a switch/hub or with two nics on the XP).
But if you buy linksys, you can say that you run a Cisco router at home in a few months ;) 

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.
April 4, 2003 4:46:39 PM

Ive used a linksys BEFSR41 4 port router now for like 5 months without a problem. The problems with using ICS is that the other computer must always be on. If it locks up and must be restarted the other computer will lose connection. The 2nd computer will have a little bit slower connection and the main computer will have a little more cpu usage.
If u do a lot of gameing and big file downloads use the router.
I used ICS before and it was a pain playing online when the main computer locks up. There goes my game!
Any brand router will work they are all about the same.
Related resources
April 5, 2003 9:59:01 AM

Just about every router has a firewall in it, at least, all of the ones I looked at before buying did. In actual fact, I have taken ZoneAlarm off because it was stopping the two machines on the LAN side from talking to each other, sharing the printer and the like.

I have a D-Link DI-804, works fine.

Med venlig hilsen,
adrianxw
April 6, 2003 2:35:36 PM

I am using d-link di-704p, and I haven't had a problem. For the firewall: a hadware firewall (i.e. the router) if correctly configured, will do a better job than software. If you want to be safe, you can always use both at the same time.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
April 9, 2003 5:52:11 PM

Have you guys all played online games without problems?

<font color=red> Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch. </font color=red>
April 10, 2003 11:03:46 PM

Sometimes you need to tweak a bit, search for the right port to open, nothing too complicated.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies
May 20, 2003 5:34:00 PM

In Zonealarm, all you have to do is put the IPs for all your networked PCs in the "trusted" zone.

Gigabyte GA-7AXP
1700+ Tbred-b @ 166*12
eVGA Ti4200
512MB Samsung PC2700
60GB Maxtor
16X Toshiba DVD
48x16 MSI CDRW
430W Enermax PS
June 18, 2003 5:37:19 AM

Anyone would do, except I have this problem that my D-link would disconnect me from the internet, which is weird considering Im using DSL connection. I'm currently using a SMC wireless router and not having any trouble with it.
!