I would like to upgrade to Vista or 7

ReaperBoy2010

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Well i have been thinking about it and i really want to upgrade my OS. I have been thinking about either getting Windows Vista ultimate 64 bit upgrade disk or Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit upgrade disk. I want to go to a 64 bit because i have a compatible processor and it can read more ram then 32 bit versions. I also want to make the change because i like to play games, more specifically Modern warfare 2 and Left for dead 2. Vista has DX10 and 7 has DX11 so i would like to get either of those two. I really dont know which one to get. Could some one tell me what they think i should get. BTW i have Xp pro now.

Solution
Go with Windows 7, but do NOT get the upgrade media. Either go with the full retail version if you want to be able to move your license between PC's if you get a new one every few years. If you don't mind leaving the license tied to a specific system, save yourself the money and buy the OEM version of 7.
Go with Windows 7, but do NOT get the upgrade media. Either go with the full retail version if you want to be able to move your license between PC's if you get a new one every few years. If you don't mind leaving the license tied to a specific system, save yourself the money and buy the OEM version of 7.

Solution
Generally, Windows 7 is a bit lighter on system resources opposed to Vista. Gaming performance is also generally on par with Vista, but since we are still early in the development and optimization cycle of Windows 7 specific drivers, performance can only get better as time goes on.

Windows Vista is Version 6.0 .... Now where you would expect Windows 7 to be version 7.0, it's actually 6.1 Same thing for Win2k (5.0) and XP (5.1). Many people think of Win7 as Vista SP3. There are very few differences other than basically the cosmetic ones and that Win7 is a trimmed down version of Vista which makes it somewhat less demanding and therefore provides a small performance bump. So ine ssence, ther eis no reason to get Vista .....OTOH, depending on your hardware, you may see a performance drop going from XP depending on how old your system is and how much oomph it has.

ReaperBoy2010

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

why would we not be able to take full advantage?