Realtek RTL 8180 Can't Connect to Netgear WGR 614

manish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I have a Netgear WGR 614 Wireless Router (802.11 b/g) in my home which
is configured to work in 802.11b as well as 802.11g modes. I can
connect to this router from my centrino (2200 BG) based laptop and
access internet without any difficulty. I have another PC with a
Realtek RT 8180 based PCI wireless card installed (802.11b). Though I
am able to establish a peer to peer link between the laptop and the PC
which works perfectly at 11 Mbps, the PC is never able to connect
through the Netgear Wireless Router in Infrastructure mode. I have
disabled WEP and checked all the settings, etc but haven't been able to
find a solution to this problem. Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Manish

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I use just such a card in my PC.

Download the drivers and the utility and see if that helps

http://tinyurl.com/2theq

I mainly use windows 2000 as too many things about XP annoy me.

When I did use XP with that card I found I could get better results by
disabling the Wireless Zero Config service (start ->run >services.msc
or control panel applet) provided by XP and just using the Realtek
Utility to handle the connection (rtwlan.exe) .

The Realtek utility handles my connection under Windows 2000 very well
and supports both WEP and WPA-PSK.

The Boingo Client is also quite good at handling connections.