Error Message on Start Up & Then Hanging

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 28, 2005 3:14:16 PM

My Windows ME displays "Explorer has caused an error in SHELL32.DLL.
Explorer will now close. If you continue to experience problems try
re-starting your computer" after entering start up password. The system then
hangs until rebooted which repeats the same error sequence & hanging.

The problem occurred after uninstalling Norton Antivirus and Firewall S/W.

I can access Safe Mode but have no System Restore Points.

If I insert the Windows ME recovery floppy and CD-ROM into their drives they
are ignored at start up.

All solutions advice greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:27:48 PM

Nigel
Boot to Safe Mode
open MSCONFIG
click on the Static VxD tab, and uncheck the remaining references to Norton
services there - click Apply
Click on the Startup tab - uncheck any remaining references to Norton
software there - click Apply
Click OK, and reboot to Norma Mode - hopefully you should be OK.

Then download and run the RNAV2003 tool from
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816ee...

(if you can't boot to Normal Mode, try running the tool from Safe Mode)

Post back with your results

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

news:o bgNz73MFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!