MikeRed

From: "MikeRed" <MikeRed@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Is there any way I can send & receive a fax to/from telephone landline from
| my cable braoadband connection?
| --
| MikeRed

Internet FAX or standard v.90/v.92 FAX/modem and POTS line.

Just because DSL and Cable "modems" are called modems that dousn't mean they equate to
standard telephone line Mmodems and FAX/Modems.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

I also would like to know if I can use Phone Tools to send a fax using DSL
rather than modem ? I understand my DSL "modem" is not really a modem. It is
more a router per say. But I need to fax, so is there a way that I can send a
fax using DSL?
Debra

"Debra" <Debra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I also would like to know if I can use Phone Tools to send a fax using DSL
| rather than modem ? I understand my DSL "modem" is not really a modem. It is
| more a router per say. But I need to fax, so is there a way that I can send a
| fax using DSL?
| Debra
|
| "David H. Lipman" wrote:
|
| > From: "MikeRed" <MikeRed@discussions.microsoft.com>
| >
| > | Is there any way I can send & receive a fax to/from telephone landline from
| > | my cable braoadband connection?
| > | --
| > | MikeRed
| >
| > Internet FAX or standard v.90/v.92 FAX/modem and POTS line.
| >
| > Just because DSL and Cable "modems" are called modems that dousn't mean they equate to
| > standard telephone line Mmodems and FAX/Modems.
| >
| > --
| > Dave
| > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
| > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Internet FAX, Internal/external standard v.90/v.92 FAX/modem or a dedicated FAX machine.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Shane

There are online services that'll do it for you. Not that I've used any.
Your ISP may have such a service.

I keep the old dial-up lead handy. Just plug in, connect via a PAYG dial-up
ISP, send your fax. Of course, receiving one is going to be a pita. But PAYG
dial-up is easy, you can use it for 5 mins a year.

I still have one e-mail address from one dial-up ISP that I haven't used for
more than about 10 mins in the last 3 years (or more). About once a year
they send a computer-generated e-mail noting that I haven't connected via
them in a long time and I can't use my e-mail address unless I do. So I
reconnect with them for a minute or two. There's another one I even still
have webspace with!

Shane

"Debra" <Debra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I also would like to know if I can use Phone Tools to send a fax using DSL
> rather than modem ? I understand my DSL "modem" is not really a modem. It
> is
> more a router per say. But I need to fax, so is there a way that I can
> send a
> fax using DSL?
> Debra
>
> "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
>> From: "MikeRed" <MikeRed@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>
>> | Is there any way I can send & receive a fax to/from telephone landline
>> from
>> | my cable braoadband connection?
>> | --
>> | MikeRed
>>
>> Internet FAX or standard v.90/v.92 FAX/modem and POTS line.
>>
>> Just because DSL and Cable "modems" are called modems that dousn't mean
>> they equate to
>> standard telephone line Mmodems and FAX/Modems.
>>
>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Just like me Shane, two of my accounts are dial up and the modem lead is
still there just have to swop out the line if I want to use it, trouble
is I haven't bothered since going ADSL.
I got rid of my Fax machine as it never got used, well occasionally as a
copy machine <g> plus it meant I could get rid of a phone line, haven't
missed it.
Joan

Shane wrote:

> I keep the old dial-up lead handy. Just plug in, connect via a PAYG dial-up
> ISP, send your fax. Of course, receiving one is going to be a pita. But PAYG
> dial-up is easy, you can use it for 5 mins a year.
>
> I still have one e-mail address from one dial-up ISP that I haven't used for
> more than about 10 mins in the last 3 years (or more). About once a year
> they send a computer-generated e-mail noting that I haven't connected via
> them in a long time and I can't use my e-mail address unless I do. So I
> reconnect with them for a minute or two. There's another one I even still
> have webspace with!
>

> Shane

> connect via a PAYG dial-up ISP, send your fax.

Shane,

Surely not? I just dial the number of the fax to which I'm sending! No
ISP comes into the equation. Me thinks you might need more black coffee.
:)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> There are online services that'll do it for you. Not that I've used
> any. Your ISP may have such a service.
>
> I keep the old dial-up lead handy. Just plug in, connect via a PAYG
> dial-up ISP, send your fax. Of course, receiving one is going to be a
> pita. But PAYG dial-up is easy, you can use it for 5 mins a year.
>
> I still have one e-mail address from one dial-up ISP that I haven't
> used for more than about 10 mins in the last 3 years (or more). About
> once a year they send a computer-generated e-mail noting that I
> haven't connected via them in a long time and I can't use my e-mail
> address unless I do. So I reconnect with them for a minute or two.
> There's another one I even still have webspace with!

Shane

Yes, Joan! I've got a fax machine that cost about £220 iirc, been sitting in
storage since I came up from Devon! Shame it can't make coffee or something!

Shane

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Just like me Shane, two of my accounts are dial up and the modem lead is
> still there just have to swop out the line if I want to use it, trouble is
> I haven't bothered since going ADSL.
> I got rid of my Fax machine as it never got used, well occasionally as a
> copy machine <g> plus it meant I could get rid of a phone line, haven't
> missed it.
> Joan
>
> Shane wrote:
>
>> I keep the old dial-up lead handy. Just plug in, connect via a PAYG
>> dial-up ISP, send your fax. Of course, receiving one is going to be a
>> pita. But PAYG dial-up is easy, you can use it for 5 mins a year.
>>
>> I still have one e-mail address from one dial-up ISP that I haven't used
>> for more than about 10 mins in the last 3 years (or more). About once a
>> year they send a computer-generated e-mail noting that I haven't
>> connected via them in a long time and I can't use my e-mail address
>> unless I do. So I reconnect with them for a minute or two. There's
>> another one I even still have webspace with!
>>

>> Shane

LOL

I've had one of those days. Spent hours getting nowhere fast but all
seems to be OK now although I haven't solved one of the problems (a
problem with a program called NetLimiter) but eventually did find a work
around which whilst an annoyance solves the problem.

I feel I would have faired better though if I had spent today down the
local.

Cheers,
--
Mike

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I get you now, Mike........and it only took half a cup of coffee!
>
> I think I was falling into the 'arguing in favour of laziness' trap,
> there. The ways of these Humans are rubbing off on me!

Shane

> LOL
>
> I've had one of those days. Spent hours getting nowhere fast but all
> seems to be OK now although I haven't solved one of the problems (a
> problem with a program called NetLimiter) but eventually did find a work
> around which whilst an annoyance solves the problem.

An interesting looking program. Ever finer control, eh?

> I feel I would have faired better though if I had spent today down the
> local.

Well of course it's hard to go wrong with that one!

Cheers, Mike. And I do believe I'll hit the sack now!

Shane

Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

(Re NetLimiter)
> An interesting looking program. Ever finer control, eh?

It is and based on the last week that I have been using it does its job
pretty well. Removes much of the frustration caused by the A in ADSL and
for example allows one to allocate a maximum amount of bandwidth to say an
FTP upload so as to leave some upstream bandwidth available for other
purposes including ACKs for any downloads. Drop me a line if interested
including the problem and the workaround. One feature that it doesn't
have that would be nice would be to allow a user to allocate priorities to
the different processes rather than an absolute bandwidth limit.

>> I feel I would have faired better though if I had spent today down
>> the local.
>
> Well of course it's hard to go wrong with that one!

I know I should have. :)

> Cheers, Mike. And I do believe I'll hit the sack now!

Sleep well! I hope to be heading in a similar direction soon. :)

Mike

Thanks Shane, that is what I did. Just plugged my modem in and off it went. I
will have to look into my ISP to see if they have fax services.
Thanks for your response.
Debra

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> "Debra" <Debra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I also would like to know if I can use Phone Tools to send a fax using DSL
> | rather than modem ? I understand my DSL "modem" is not really a modem. It is
> | more a router per say. But I need to fax, so is there a way that I can send a
> | fax using DSL?
> | Debra
> |
> | "David H. Lipman" wrote:
> |
> | > From: "MikeRed" <MikeRed@discussions.microsoft.com>

> | > Internet FAX or standard v.90/v.92 FAX/modem and POTS line.
> | >
> | > Just because DSL and Cable "modems" are called modems that dousn't mean they equate to
> | > standard telephone line Mmodems and FAX/Modems.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Dave
> | > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> | > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
> | >

> Internet FAX, Internal/external standard v.90/v.92 FAX/modem or a dedicated FAX machine.
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

<lol> That's the problem if it can't do the coffee I don't want to know <g>
Joan

Shane wrote:
> Yes, Joan! I've got a fax machine that cost about £220 iirc, been sitting in
> storage since I came up from Devon! Shame it can't make coffee or something!
>

> Shane

Shane

> Shane <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> (Re NetLimiter)
>> An interesting looking program. Ever finer control, eh?
>
> It is and based on the last week that I have been using it does its job
> pretty well. Removes much of the frustration caused by the A in ADSL and
> for example allows one to allocate a maximum amount of bandwidth to say an
> FTP upload so as to leave some upstream bandwidth available for other
> purposes including ACKs for any downloads. Drop me a line if interested
> including the problem and the workaround. One feature that it doesn't
> have that would be nice would be to allow a user to allocate priorities to
> the different processes rather than an absolute bandwidth limit.

Cheers Mike. I'll get back to you.

Shane

Shane

I forgot to add *and mostly all I used it for was copying, too*!

> <lol> That's the problem if it can't do the coffee I don't want to know
> <g>
> Joan
>
> Shane wrote:
>> Yes, Joan! I've got a fax machine that cost about £220 iirc, been sitting
>> in storage since I came up from Devon! Shame it can't make coffee or
>> something!
>>

>> Shane

Shane

No problem, Debra.