Harddisk is not detected

Shiva

Hi,

I've just bought a new harddrive. Unfortunately, it is not detected by
the motherboard. The PC displays the message 'Detecting IDE Primary-master'
and then it hangs.
I made sure all the jumpers are set correctly (the new drive is the master,
my old drive is the slave).
Here is some more info:

- motherboard P6SET-ML. This is an old motherboard, perhaps that's the cause
of this problem. The processor is an Intel Celeron 600 Mhz
- The new drive, set as a master drive, is a Samsung Datalux 80 Gb

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance!

In article <cr9erj$1f9$1@reader13.wxs.nl>, Shiva says...
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought a new harddrive. Unfortunately, it is not detected by
> the motherboard. The PC displays the message 'Detecting IDE Primary-master'
> and then it hangs.
> I made sure all the jumpers are set correctly (the new drive is the master,
> my old drive is the slave).
> Here is some more info:
>
> - motherboard P6SET-ML. This is an old motherboard, perhaps that's the cause
> of this problem. The processor is an Intel Celeron 600 Mhz
> - The new drive, set as a master drive, is a Samsung Datalux 80 Gb
>
> Any idea's?

Your motherboard doesn't support a HDD of that capacity. If you cannot
find a BIOS update for the motherboard you'll need to go to the HDD
manufacturers website and get the software for that HDD. It'll put on
drive onverlay software which overcomes a BIOS HDD size limit.

--
Conor

-- George Patton

Shiva

Conor wrote:
> In article <cr9erj$1f9$1@reader13.wxs.nl>, Shiva says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just bought a new harddrive. Unfortunately, it is not
>> detected by the motherboard. The PC displays the message 'Detecting
>> IDE Primary-master' and then it hangs.
>> I made sure all the jumpers are set correctly (the new drive is the
>> master, my old drive is the slave).
>> Here is some more info:
>>
>> - motherboard P6SET-ML. This is an old motherboard, perhaps that's
>> the cause of this problem. The processor is an Intel Celeron 600 Mhz
>> - The new drive, set as a master drive, is a Samsung Datalux 80 Gb
>>
>> Any idea's?
>>
> Your motherboard doesn't support a HDD of that capacity. If you cannot
> find a BIOS update for the motherboard you'll need to go to the HDD
> manufacturers website and get the software for that HDD. It'll put on
> drive onverlay software which overcomes a BIOS HDD size limit.

Thanks for your reply. I've found this website:

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/p6set_ml.html

and yes, my bios version 1.0, is not up-to-date. I haven't done a bios
upgrade before, so what is it I have to do now? (I don't want to experiment
cuz I don't want to mess my bios up!)

I think I have to:
- download the Flash Award utility
- download version 1.2h of the bios that supports harddrives larger than 64
Gb. It strikes me that this is an executable. According to the Flash Award
utility, described on this page
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/flashAward.html , I have to enter the name
of a .bin file. But I only have an executable. The only thing I can make up
is that the executable is an self-extracting archive, iow that it contains
the .bin file. Am I right about this? Sorry, I hate trial-and-error in this
case, so I don't wanna start the executable and see what happens.

And how do make a copy of your original bios?

Any comment on this is very much appreciated!

Shiva wrote:
> Conor wrote:
>
>>In article <cr9erj$1f9$1@reader13.wxs.nl>, Shiva says...
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I've just bought a new harddrive. Unfortunately, it is not
>>>detected by the motherboard. The PC displays the message 'Detecting
>>>IDE Primary-master' and then it hangs.
>>>I made sure all the jumpers are set correctly (the new drive is the
>>>master, my old drive is the slave).
>>>Here is some more info:
>>>
>>>- motherboard P6SET-ML. This is an old motherboard, perhaps that's
>>>the cause of this problem. The processor is an Intel Celeron 600 Mhz
>>>- The new drive, set as a master drive, is a Samsung Datalux 80 Gb
>>>
>>>Any idea's?
>>>

>>Your motherboard doesn't support a HDD of that capacity. If you cannot
>>find a BIOS update for the motherboard you'll need to go to the HDD
>>manufacturers website and get the software for that HDD. It'll put on
>>drive onverlay software which overcomes a BIOS HDD size limit.
>

> Thanks for your reply. I've found this website:
>
> http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/p6set_ml.html
>
> and yes, my bios version 1.0, is not up-to-date. I haven't done a bios
> upgrade before, so what is it I have to do now? (I don't want to experiment
> cuz I don't want to mess my bios up!)
>
> I think I have to:
> - download the Flash Award utility
This is the executable.
> - download version 1.2h of the bios that supports harddrives larger than 64
> Gb. It strikes me that this is an executable.
No, that is the flash file (.bin or whatever).
According to the Flash Award
> utility, described on this page
> http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/flashAward.html , I have to enter the name
> of a .bin file. But I only have an executable. The only thing I can make up
> is that the executable is an self-extracting archive, iow that it contains
> the .bin file. Am I right about this? Sorry, I hate trial-and-error in this
> case, so I don't wanna start the executable and see what happens.
Chances are neither is self-extracting. Just unzip them to a good, known
tested floppy that you create with Dr.Dos
http://download.sudhian.com/faq/kt7/downloads/Misc/drdflash.exe
Using this boot disk to minimize running low on memory (just for flashing)

> And how do make a copy of your original bios?
When you get in the flash utility it will ask you if you want to save
it. Say yes, and remember what you name it.

> Any comment on this is very much appreciated!
Don't flash during a rainstorm or windstorm. If you loose power during
the flash it could ruin your whole day. Reset your bios before rebooting.

Shiva

"tomcas" <tomca>> - download version 1.2h of the bios that supports
harddrives larger than 64
>> Gb. It strikes me that this is an executable.
> No, that is the flash file (.bin or whatever).

The executable I downloaded was indeed a self-extracting executable. It
contains the .bin-file required for the flash.

> Chances are neither is self-extracting. Just unzip them to a good, known
> tested floppy that you create with Dr.Dos
> http://download.sudhian.com/faq/kt7/downloads/Misc/drdflash.exe
> Using this boot disk to minimize running low on memory (just for flashing)

>> And how do make a copy of your original bios?
> When you get in the flash utility it will ask you if you want to save it.
> Say yes, and remember what you name it.

>> Any comment on this is very much appreciated!
> Don't flash during a rainstorm or windstorm. If you loose power during the
> flash it could ruin your whole day. Reset your bios before rebooting.

Power supply is very stable is my country:) But I get your point..

Anyway, I've done the upgrade nand the drive is detected now! And my system
is seems to be ok! Thanks all for your help!

Spajky

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:10:22 -0500, tomcas
<tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote:

>> I think I have to:
>> - download the Flash Award utility
>This is the executable.
>> - download version 1.2h of the bios that supports harddrives larger than 64
>> Gb. It strikes me that this is an executable.
>No, that is the flash file (.bin or whatever).

> Just unzip them to a good, known
>tested floppy

>Using this boot disk to minimize running low on memory (just for flashing)

>Don't flash during a rainstorm or windstorm. If you loose power during
>the flash it could ruin your whole day. Reset your bios before rebooting.

FlashBiosFD
http://users.volja.net/jerman55/FlashBiosFD.zip
--
Regards & Happy New Year Everyone, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

TRENDING THREADS