Restore.

Restore gives me an unable to restore message on all the restore dates
on the calendar. I had the same trouble before I reloaded the master disk
on Me, but nothing changed. Would appreciate your help.
Hal
2 answers Last reply
More about restore

    It's possible that you haven't installed the System Restore Patch - without
    which any current restore points are just space fillers.
    To check this, look for the file C:\Windows\System\SMGR.DLL - r-click on the
    file, and select Properties.
    What's the version number? - if it's v4.90.0.3003 then you have installed
    the patch, and we have to look elsewhere for the problem
    if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.

    To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and download
    the patch for offline install
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
    Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same time,
    clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked, anyhow), and
    creating a single new one.
    You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
    adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System | Hard
    Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
    purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as Office.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    "Harold" <hartmanh@gci.net> wrote in message
    > Restore gives me an unable to restore message on all the restore dates
    > on the calendar. I had the same trouble before I reloaded the master disk
    > on Me, but nothing changed. Would appreciate your help.
    > Hal

    Many Thanks Noel, That was my problem, last week I downloaded some free
    cleaning utilities and lost my restore capabilities. Have a nice evening,
    Harold- Wasilla Alaska

    > It's possible that you haven't installed the System Restore Patch -
    without
    > which any current restore points are just space fillers.
    > To check this, look for the file C:\Windows\System\SMGR.DLL - r-click on
    the
    > file, and select Properties.
    > What's the version number? - if it's v4.90.0.3003 then you have installed
    > the patch, and we have to look elsewhere for the problem
    > if it's v4.90.0.2533, then you need to install the patch.
    >
    > To install the patch, either visit Windows Update, or go here, and
    download
    > the patch for offline install
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q290700
    > Run the installer, and windows should reset System Restore at the same
    time,
    > clearing your old restore points (which wouldn't have worked, anyhow), and
    > creating a single new one.
    > You should then reset the maximum allocation for SR by going to the
    > adjustment slider at System Properties | Performance | File System | Hard
    > Disk - most people find that 200-400MB is quite sufficient for most
    > purposes, unless installing/uninstalling large applications such as
    Office.

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >
    > In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
    > http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > "Harold" <hartmanh@gci.net> wrote in message
    > > Restore gives me an unable to restore message on all the restore
    dates
    > > on the calendar. I had the same trouble before I reloaded the master
    disk
    > > on Me, but nothing changed. Would appreciate your help.
    > > Hal

Microsoft Windows