Update on my Connection problems

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,pipex.xtreme.support (More info?)

Hello,

Some of you might remember the problem I was having connecting my computer
to my broadband Xtreme solo 500 service (see below for history)

Well since I last wrote I have formatted my hard drive and installed Win Xp
Pro SP2 a fresh and I'm still having problems, so as I've bought a new modem
and Pipex have tested the line I wonder is there is a problem with the phone
socket in this room.

My next move is going to but a 10 metre phone extension cable and plug my
modem in to the BT master socket down stairs, if I still get the problems
then it has got to be either a Pipex or BT fault.

Brief History of problem:-

1- The problem I have is that I can never seem to connect first time, it
used to always connect first time and would only take about 10 seconds to
connect, now I have to try 4-5 times to connect (sometimes it even has
taken over 10 attempts), evenually it will and when online it works fine
until I log off. If it does connect first time (which is rare) it seems to
take over 30 seconds to connect.
2- I have spoken to Pipex support and they can not fault the line, I have
reinstalled the drivers and dial up settings.
3- Get same problems connecting to the BT Test log in
4- Have swapped Modem from USB hub to PC
5- Bought new Speedtouch 330 Modem
6- Formatted HD and installed fresh copy of Win XP Pro SP2
7- Modem lights stay green and no errors.

Can anyone suggest any thing else I could try, thanks

Marcus

"Marcus" <tonymarcus44@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have used Pipex Xtreme 512 Broadband internet for nearly 2 years now and
> up until a few weeks ago had no problems.
>
> The problem I have is that I can never seem to connect first time, it used
> to always connect first time and would only take about 10 seconds to
> connect, now I have to try 4-5 times to connect, evenually it will and
when
> online it works fine until I log off. If it does connect first time (which
> is rare) it seems to take over 30 seconds to connect.
>
> I have spoken to Pipex support and they can not fault the line, I have
> reinstalled the drivers and dial up settings.
>
> I use the Speedtouch USB modem which is connected to a powered hub, the
> LED's on the modem are solid green.
>
> Below is the connection log:-
>
> Event 0000 The Communication Port is about to Open
> Event 0001 The Communication Port have been opened Successfully
> Event 0002 A device is about to be connected
> Event 0003 A device has connected successfully
> Event 0004 All devices in the device chain have successfully connected
> Event 0005 The Authentication Process is Starting
> Error 0718 The Connection was terminated because the remote computer did
not
> respond in a timely manner
>
> Pipex have siad that my computer is the problem but I can't see how this
is
> because it connects in the end, they have said that I will have to live
with
> it as it connects in the end but it is very frustrating when I want to
sent
> a quick e mail when the PC is first switched on.
>
> I have tried the BT Test log on and get the same problems.
>
> Can anyone help ??
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcus

2 answers Last reply
More about update connection problems
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,pipex.xtreme.support (More info?)

    >>Some of you might remember the problem I was having connecting my computer
    to my broadband Xtreme solo 500 service (see below for history)

    Well since I last wrote I have formatted my hard drive and installed Win Xp
    Pro SP2 a fresh and I'm still having problems, so as I've bought a new modem
    and Pipex have tested the line I wonder is there is a problem with the phone
    socket in this room.

    My next move is going to but a 10 metre phone extension cable and plug my
    modem in to the BT master socket down stairs, if I still get the problems
    then it has got to be either a Pipex or BT fault.

    Brief History of problem:-

    1- The problem I have is that I can never seem to connect first time, it
    used to always connect first time and would only take about 10 seconds to
    connect, now I have to try 4-5 times to connect (sometimes it even has
    taken over 10 attempts), evenually it will and when online it works fine
    until I log off. If it does connect first time (which is rare) it seems to
    take over 30 seconds to connect.
    2- I have spoken to Pipex support and they can not fault the line, I have
    reinstalled the drivers and dial up settings.
    3- Get same problems connecting to the BT Test log in
    4- Have swapped Modem from USB hub to PC
    5- Bought new Speedtouch 330 Modem
    6- Formatted HD and installed fresh copy of Win XP Pro SP2
    7- Modem lights stay green and no errors.

    Can anyone suggest any thing else I could try, thanks

    Marcus

    ---------------

    just a thought but are you using a firewall?

    if you are which one, I'm no expert but it could be something like that.....
    Also have you ran a virus checker?

    another thing to look at is the motherboard, have you updated the drivers
    for that?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,pipex.xtreme.support (More info?)

    Hello Bri,

    I have turned off all firewalls and Virus Defs are up to date. It just
    started to happen on it's own.

    Just reinstalled windows so I don't think it is a software prob.

    Marcus

    "Bri" <bri@home.com> wrote in message
    >>>Some of you might remember the problem I was having connecting my
    >>>computer
    > to my broadband Xtreme solo 500 service (see below for history)
    >
    > Well since I last wrote I have formatted my hard drive and installed Win
    > Xp
    > Pro SP2 a fresh and I'm still having problems, so as I've bought a new
    > modem
    > and Pipex have tested the line I wonder is there is a problem with the
    > phone
    > socket in this room.
    >
    > My next move is going to but a 10 metre phone extension cable and plug my
    > modem in to the BT master socket down stairs, if I still get the problems
    > then it has got to be either a Pipex or BT fault.
    >
    > Brief History of problem:-
    >
    > 1- The problem I have is that I can never seem to connect first time, it
    > used to always connect first time and would only take about 10 seconds to
    > connect, now I have to try 4-5 times to connect (sometimes it even has
    > taken over 10 attempts), evenually it will and when online it works fine
    > until I log off. If it does connect first time (which is rare) it seems to
    > take over 30 seconds to connect.
    > 2- I have spoken to Pipex support and they can not fault the line, I have
    > reinstalled the drivers and dial up settings.
    > 3- Get same problems connecting to the BT Test log in
    > 4- Have swapped Modem from USB hub to PC
    > 5- Bought new Speedtouch 330 Modem
    > 6- Formatted HD and installed fresh copy of Win XP Pro SP2
    > 7- Modem lights stay green and no errors.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest any thing else I could try, thanks
    >
    > Marcus

    > just a thought but are you using a firewall?
    >
    > if you are which one, I'm no expert but it could be something like
    > that.....
    > Also have you ran a virus checker?
    >
    > another thing to look at is the motherboard, have you updated the drivers
    > for that?

Homebuilt Connection Systems