Uninstalling MS JVM

Attempted JVM removal in ME, encountered the following:
c:\windows\inf\java.pnf not there to delete

wjview.exe and jview.exe NOT located in windows\system folder but windows\
When I deleted them anyway, they re-appeared (did see in recycle bin also)

Removing JVM due to Java.ByteVerify!exploit and Java.Shinwow.AM trojans in
my .jpi_cache. E-Trust says they are still there so I guess MS JVM still
there. Any suggestions?

How are you attempting to uninstall the MS Java VM? There's more to it
than just deleting files as you've found already since for example both
wjview.exe and jview.exe are protected from deletion by Win Me's State
manger (System File Protection).

What version of the MS JavaVM do you have installed as the last version
(3810) is not vulnerable to the Java.ByteVerify!exploit. Have you cleared
your Temporary Internet Files (Control Panel | Internet Options | General
| Delete Files making sure that you check the box to delete all off-line
content)?

Try cleaning your system using Trend's Sysclean. Download the following
Trend Sysclean Package from http://www.trendmicro.com/down­load/dcs.asp
and the latest Trend signature files
(http://www.trendmicro.com/down­load/pattern.asp). Create a folder on
your desktop, for example Trend, and place sysclean.com and the contents
of the Trend signature zip file in this folder. Boot into Safe Mode and
run sysclean and delete clean any nasties it finds. Boot back into Normal
mode and run sysclean again. Once all is done and the system appears
clean cycle system restore off and then back on again so as to clear the
restore archive of any viral remnants. Don't flush the restore archive
until everything is back working correctly just in case you need to use
system restore to undo any possible damage caused by running sysclean.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

NTquated <NTquated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Attempted JVM removal in ME, encountered the following:
> c:\windows\inf\java.pnf not there to delete
>
> wjview.exe and jview.exe NOT located in windows\system folder but
> windows\ When I deleted them anyway, they re-appeared (did see in
> recycle bin also)
>
> Removing JVM due to Java.ByteVerify!exploit and Java.Shinwow.AM
> trojans in my .jpi_cache. E-Trust says they are still there so I
> guess MS JVM still there. Any suggestions?

Thank you sir.
I am following these directions
-http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How_to_remove_the_Microsoft_Java_Virtual_Machine_JVM-tut97.html

typing jview as command tells me I do have 3810 and Temp files always deleted

I will use Sysclean tonight and report back.
If that does work, have I shot self in foot concerning half-uninstalled MS
JVM? I have already installed jre-1_5_0_02-windows-i586-p.exe standalone from
Sun.

Thank you again.

"Mike M" wrote:

> How are you attempting to uninstall the MS Java VM? There's more to it
> than just deleting files as you've found already since for example both
> wjview.exe and jview.exe are protected from deletion by Win Me's State
> manger (System File Protection).
>
> What version of the MS JavaVM do you have installed as the last version
> (3810) is not vulnerable to the Java.ByteVerify!exploit. Have you cleared
> your Temporary Internet Files (Control Panel | Internet Options | General
> | Delete Files making sure that you check the box to delete all off-line
> content)?
>
> Try cleaning your system using Trend's Sysclean. Download the following
> Trend Sysclean Package from http://www.trendmicro.com/down­load/dcs.asp
> and the latest Trend signature files
> (http://www.trendmicro.com/down­load/pattern.asp). Create a folder on
> your desktop, for example Trend, and place sysclean.com and the contents
> of the Trend signature zip file in this folder. Boot into Safe Mode and
> run sysclean and delete clean any nasties it finds. Boot back into Normal
> mode and run sysclean again. Once all is done and the system appears
> clean cycle system restore off and then back on again so as to clear the
> restore archive of any viral remnants. Don't flush the restore archive
> until everything is back working correctly just in case you need to use
> system restore to undo any possible damage caused by running sysclean.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> NTquated <NTquated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Attempted JVM removal in ME, encountered the following:
> > c:\windows\inf\java.pnf not there to delete
> >
> > wjview.exe and jview.exe NOT located in windows\system folder but
> > windows\ When I deleted them anyway, they re-appeared (did see in
> > recycle bin also)
> >
> > Removing JVM due to Java.ByteVerify!exploit and Java.Shinwow.AM
> > trojans in my .jpi_cache. E-Trust says they are still there so I
> > guess MS JVM still there. Any suggestions?

OK, booted in safe mode,clicked Sysclean.com got:
Win32-If you run a text based prog in safe mode you risk corruption of video
display etc. Clicked OK anyway, got Pattern File LPT$VPN missing please
download. I realized I had recently downloaded another instance of sysclean
and tried that one with same warning and then Required file TSC.BIN is
missing. I can only visit websites that I have the IP address (tcp/ip restack
I'm told) so maybe sysclean needs to access it's own website. Still reading?
I have decided to reformat and reinstall ME. I do have a few questions about
that - do I start a new topic for that? I will do a search in this discussion
group first. Thank you.