Windows-xp does not run from CD-drive

Shiva

Hi,

I've installed Windows xp on my new drive. But not without any trouble!

Here's the story:

I inserted the Windows XP installation disc in my CD-burner, connected as a
secondary master, and booted from this disc. The system hang after
displaying the message "Setup is now inspecting your hardware".
This problem was not resolved by cleaning the disc. Then I replaced the
CD-burner by a Asus E608 DVD-ROM and this drive read the disc without any
problem; thus I installed windows XP with that DVD-ROM.
Now the question is: why does my CD-burner have trouble reading the disc?
Some more info:
- the windows XP-installation disc is a Philips CD-R 80
- I do not see any scratches, fingerprints etc. on the Windows
XP-installation disc
- the CD-burner does not have trouble reading the disc in windows xp (OS).
Nor does it have any trouble reading other discs.
- motherboard is a P6SET-ML having a Intel Celeron 600 Mhz on it
- the brand of the CD-burner is unknown to me. A label on the burner says
E118405. It is detected by the motherboard as a CD-R/RW 4x/4x/24x, iow an
old one:)

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance!

JohnS

I've seen that problem so many times now, that I
simply will not use any brand but Plextor or Sony
cdr drives.

johns

Shiva

well, the Asus-drive also works.. anyway, it is just a matter of getting a
good drive?
BTW, isn't there a way to install XP differently? Let's say with floppies -
for booting - and finally the XP-installation disc cuz the system usually
has trouble booting from the disc; once you get a screen allowing you to
select one of the options (new install, repair etc)., windows has no
troubling reading the disc anymore.

"Shiva" <zodiac@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> well, the Asus-drive also works.. anyway, it is just a matter of getting a
> good drive?
> BTW, isn't there a way to install XP differently? Let's say with
> floppies -
> for booting - and finally the XP-installation disc cuz the system usually
> has trouble booting from the disc; once you get a screen allowing you to
> select one of the options (new install, repair etc)., windows has no
> troubling reading the disc anymore.

Sure. Go to www.bootdisk.com (I think that is it) and there is a download
there for the XP bootdisks.

Ed

Shiva

"Ed Medlin" <edmedlin@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Shiva" <zodiac@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> well, the Asus-drive also works.. anyway, it is just a matter of getting
>> good drive?
>> BTW, isn't there a way to install XP differently? Let's say with
>> floppies -
>> for booting - and finally the XP-installation disc cuz the system usually
>> has trouble booting from the disc; once you get a screen allowing you to
>> select one of the options (new install, repair etc)., windows has no
>> troubling reading the disc anymore.
>>
> Sure. Go to www.bootdisk.com (I think that is it) and there is a download
> there for the XP bootdisks.
>
> Ed
That's exactly what I wanted, thanks a lot. I created 6 XP-boot diskettes;
after loading you get the menu allowing to perform a repair or fresh
install.
I still find this strange; why do so many CD-drives have trouble booting
from disc? Anyway, the floppies do seem to work, I've tried that 3 times,
and I experienced no problems.

"Shiva" <shiva087@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ed Medlin" <edmedlin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Shiva" <zodiac@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> well, the Asus-drive also works.. anyway, it is just a matter of getting
>>> good drive?
>>> BTW, isn't there a way to install XP differently? Let's say with
>>> floppies -
>>> for booting - and finally the XP-installation disc cuz the system
>>> usually
>>> has trouble booting from the disc; once you get a screen allowing you to
>>> select one of the options (new install, repair etc)., windows has no
>>> troubling reading the disc anymore.
>>>
>> Sure. Go to www.bootdisk.com (I think that is it) and there is a download
>> there for the XP bootdisks.
>>
>> Ed
> That's exactly what I wanted, thanks a lot. I created 6 XP-boot diskettes;
> after loading you get the menu allowing to perform a repair or fresh
> install.
> I still find this strange; why do so many CD-drives have trouble booting
> from disc? Anyway, the floppies do seem to work, I've tried that 3 times,
> and I experienced no problems.

Glad to hear it helped you out.....

Ed