Boot Question

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 30, 2005 9:57:08 PM

For the past while, my system has been taking overlong to boot. I
haven't been able to track down why (even when I disable start-up
items, it still takes forever) and today I ran Bootlog and spent about
an hour going over the list. Although I didn't see any obvious
problems (failures), I did see a tremendous number of exact
duplicates, in some cases as many as 5 entries for the same thing. Is
this because of duplicate entries in the Registry? Or is something
else at play here?

More about : boot question

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:21:59 PM

coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:

>For the past while, my system has been taking overlong to boot. I
>haven't been able to track down why (even when I disable start-up
>items, it still takes forever) and today I ran Bootlog and spent about
>an hour going over the list. Although I didn't see any obvious
>problems (failures), I did see a tremendous number of exact
>duplicates, in some cases as many as 5 entries for the same thing. Is
>this because of duplicate entries in the Registry? Or is something
>else at play here?

Get the free Bootlog Analyzer utility from
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/ and use it to process
the Bootlog file you created.

Click on the "show delays" checkbox to see what is using the most time
during the bootup. Post that information back here if you need
advice or assistance with this.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:49:52 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:59 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
wrote:

>coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:
>
>>For the past while, my system has been taking overlong to boot. I
>>haven't been able to track down why (even when I disable start-up
>>items, it still takes forever) and today I ran Bootlog and spent about
>>an hour going over the list. Although I didn't see any obvious
>>problems (failures), I did see a tremendous number of exact
>>duplicates, in some cases as many as 5 entries for the same thing. Is
>>this because of duplicate entries in the Registry? Or is something
>>else at play here?
>
>Get the free Bootlog Analyzer utility from
>http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/ and use it to process
>the Bootlog file you created.
>
>Click on the "show delays" checkbox to see what is using the most time
>during the bootup. Post that information back here if you need
>advice or assistance with this.
>
>Good luck

Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
duplicates?

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>--
>Microsoft MVP
>On-Line Help Computer Service
>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:29:12 AM

Is Norton's Go Back installed and functioning? That is a real culprit.

Maybe the new M$ updates are causing it? Try disabling one of them (kb891711, in
msconfig).

MOSearch & MDM7 from M$ Office could also jam up your computer. (Uncheckmark
those from msconfig.) After each Office update, you'll have to repeat this
process.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:11:37 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:29:12 GMT, "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't
Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote:

>Is Norton's Go Back installed and functioning? That is a real culprit.

Sooner have my teeth drilled than leave this program on my computer.

>Maybe the new M$ updates are causing it? Try disabling one of them (kb891711, in
>msconfig).

That's when the problem started, after I completely uninstalled that
particular disease.

>MOSearch & MDM7 from M$ Office could also jam up your computer. (Uncheckmark
>those from msconfig.) After each Office update, you'll have to repeat this
>process.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:12:59 AM

coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:59 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
>wrote:

>Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
>duplicates?

At this point let's not worry about what appears to be duplicates. If
there are genuine duplications then most of the time these will result
in some sort of an error message or a "failure" record in the bootlog
file.

Once the delays are sorted out we can perhaps revisit the situation
and see what further improvements can be made.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:13:22 AM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:49:52 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:59 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:
>>
>>>For the past while, my system has been taking overlong to boot. I
>>>haven't been able to track down why (even when I disable start-up
>>>items, it still takes forever) and today I ran Bootlog and spent about
>>>an hour going over the list. Although I didn't see any obvious
>>>problems (failures), I did see a tremendous number of exact
>>>duplicates, in some cases as many as 5 entries for the same thing. Is
>>>this because of duplicate entries in the Registry? Or is something
>>>else at play here?
>>
>>Get the free Bootlog Analyzer utility from
>>http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/ and use it to process
>>the Bootlog file you created.
>>
>>Click on the "show delays" checkbox to see what is using the most time
>>during the bootup. Post that information back here if you need
>>advice or assistance with this.
>>
>>Good luck
>
>Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
>duplicates?

I ran the program and the only failure was:
"15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
repeated 4 times.

>>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>>--
>>Microsoft MVP
>>On-Line Help Computer Service
>>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:13:23 AM

If you open up ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager do you have multiple
entries for any of your hardware ?

Rick

E. Barry Bruyea wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:49:52 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
> wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:59 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Get the free Bootlog Analyzer utility from
>>>http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/ and use it to process
>>>the Bootlog file you created.
>>>
>>>Click on the "show delays" checkbox to see what is using the most time
>>>during the bootup. Post that information back here if you need
>>>advice or assistance with this.
>>>
>>>Good luck
>>
>>Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
>>duplicates?
>

> I ran the program and the only failure was:
> "15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
> and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
> repeated 4 times.
>

>>>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>>>--
>>>Microsoft MVP
>>>On-Line Help Computer Service
>>>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>>
>>>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>>http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:51:35 AM

coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:

>I ran the program and the only failure was:
>"15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
>and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
>repeated 4 times.

There are some load failures that are really "not required" rather
than failures. As I said previously, let's focus on the startup
delays, which was your original concern.

When you launch Boot Log Analyzer there is a checkbox near the top
left corner, right behind the Start button that reads "Show Delays".

Please please please click on that checkbox to select it. Then post
the information about the startup delays back here.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:30:48 PM

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:10:07 -0500, Rick T
<plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>If you open up ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager do you have multiple
>entries for any of your hardware ?
>

>Rick

There is one duplicate under "Human Interface Device"
1-HID-Complient Device (I assume this is the USB Mouse.)
2-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?)
3-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?) (This one has a ? over the icon)

I removed #3 & the mouse disappeared from my screen, but returned on
reboot with the entry returning, along with the ?.

>E. Barry Bruyea wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:49:52 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
>> wrote:

>>>Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
>>>duplicates?
>>

>> I ran the program and the only failure was:
>> "15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
>> and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
>> repeated 4 times.

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:10:11 PM

Try 'Removing' ALL USB mice in Safe Mode (with & without ?'s)

Mart

"E. Barry Bruyea" <coldin@winter.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:10:07 -0500, Rick T
> <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>If you open up ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager do you have multiple
>>entries for any of your hardware ?
>>

>>Rick
>
> There is one duplicate under "Human Interface Device"
> 1-HID-Complient Device (I assume this is the USB Mouse.)
> 2-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?)
> 3-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?) (This one has a ? over the icon)
>
> I removed #3 & the mouse disappeared from my screen, but returned on
> reboot with the entry returning, along with the ?.
>

>>E. Barry Bruyea wrote:

>>> I ran the program and the only failure was:
>>> "15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
>>> and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
>>> repeated 4 times.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:22:17 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:30:48 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:10:07 -0500, Rick T
><plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>If you open up ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager do you have multiple
>>entries for any of your hardware ?
>>

>>Rick
>
>There is one duplicate under "Human Interface Device"
>1-HID-Complient Device (I assume this is the USB Mouse.)
>2-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?)
>3-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?) (This one has a ? over the icon)
>
>I removed #3 & the mouse disappeared from my screen, but returned on
>reboot with the entry returning, along with the ?.

I just tried removing all three and then rebooted. Same entries came
back, only this time #2 has the ? I did discover the #1 is the USB
connection to my APC Backup.

>>E. Barry Bruyea wrote:

>>> I ran the program and the only failure was:
>>> "15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
>>> and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
>>> repeated 4 times.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 4:30:13 AM

> I just tried removing all three and then rebooted.
> Same entries came back, only this time #2 has the ?

Did you try Removing them (the mice) in Safe Mode or Normal Mode?

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:30:48 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:10:07 -0500, Rick T
>><plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>If you open up ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager do you have multiple
>>>entries for any of your hardware ?
>>>

>>>Rick
>>
>>There is one duplicate under "Human Interface Device"
>>1-HID-Complient Device (I assume this is the USB Mouse.)
>>2-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?)
>>3-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?) (This one has a ? over the icon)
>>
>>I removed #3 & the mouse disappeared from my screen, but returned on
>>reboot with the entry returning, along with the ?.
>
> I just tried removing all three and then rebooted. Same entries came
> back, only this time #2 has the ? I did discover the #1 is the USB
> connection to my APC Backup.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:29:22 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 00:30:13 +0100, "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
wrote:

>> I just tried removing all three and then rebooted.
>> Same entries came back, only this time #2 has the ?
>
>Did you try Removing them (the mice) in Safe Mode or Normal Mode?
>
>Mart

Tried both. But surprise, surprise, when I booted this morning, the ?
is no more and I haven't got a clue why; but now, I'm showing a
"Default" monitor as well as my Sharp LCD and be damned if I know why.
Ever since that damn patch from the windows update site got downloaded
and screwed up my computer (I completely removed it post mortem) there
has been a "ghost" in the machine.

>"E. Barry Bruyea" <coldin@winter.org> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:30:48 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
>> wrote:

>>>There is one duplicate under "Human Interface Device"
>>>1-HID-Complient Device (I assume this is the USB Mouse.)
>>>2-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?)
>>>3-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?) (This one has a ? over the icon)
>>>
>>>I removed #3 & the mouse disappeared from my screen, but returned on
>>>reboot with the entry returning, along with the ?.
>>
>> I just tried removing all three and then rebooted. Same entries came
>> back, only this time #2 has the ? I did discover the #1 is the USB
>> connection to my APC Backup.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:20:58 PM

> ... surprise, surprise, when I booted this
> morning, the ? is no more.

Not really a surprise, Barry. The reason for 'Removing' stuff in Safe rather
than Normal mode is that, for example, if you've set-up to use two different
mice (say over a period of time), then Normal Mode will only show the
'working' mouse whereas the registry will be aware (enumerated) of the
'non-working' mouse - and its appropriate drivers.

For some reason (and I've no real idea why) WinMe gets confused <g> and
doesn't always seem to enumerate a device properly and can then end up with
a driver 'soup' causing resource conflicts - which I would guess, has
happened to your mouse (and maybe your monitor too!) Removing in Normal Mode
doesn't always clear the 'soup'.

The bottom line being that 'Removing' ALL mice (say) in Safe Mode, clears
the registry (of all mice) and rebooting into Normal Mode allows WinMe to
re-detect and enumerate the device and re-install the correct drivers.

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 00:30:13 +0100, "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> I just tried removing all three and then rebooted.
>>> Same entries came back, only this time #2 has the ?
>>
>>Did you try Removing them (the mice) in Safe Mode or Normal Mode?
>>
>>Mart
>
> Tried both. But surprise, surprise, when I booted this morning, the ?
> is no more and I haven't got a clue why; but now, I'm showing a
> "Default" monitor as well as my Sharp LCD and be damned if I know why.
> Ever since that damn patch from the windows update site got downloaded
> and screwed up my computer (I completely removed it post mortem) there
> has been a "ghost" in the machine.
>

>>"E. Barry Bruyea" <coldin@winter.org> wrote in message

>>> I just tried removing all three and then rebooted. Same entries came
>>> back, only this time #2 has the ? I did discover the #1 is the USB
>>> connection to my APC Backup.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:40:29 PM

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:20:58 +0100, "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
wrote:

>> ... surprise, surprise, when I booted this
>> morning, the ? is no more.
>
>Not really a surprise, Barry. The reason for 'Removing' stuff in Safe rather
>than Normal mode is that, for example, if you've set-up to use two different
>mice (say over a period of time), then Normal Mode will only show the
>'working' mouse whereas the registry will be aware (enumerated) of the
>'non-working' mouse - and its appropriate drivers.
>
>For some reason (and I've no real idea why) WinMe gets confused <g> and
>doesn't always seem to enumerate a device properly and can then end up with
>a driver 'soup' causing resource conflicts - which I would guess, has
>happened to your mouse (and maybe your monitor too!) Removing in Normal Mode
>doesn't always clear the 'soup'.
>
>The bottom line being that 'Removing' ALL mice (say) in Safe Mode, clears
>the registry (of all mice) and rebooting into Normal Mode allows WinMe to
>re-detect and enumerate the device and re-install the correct drivers.
>
>Mart

Thanks, Mart, I don't always adhere to the discipline required to 'get
along' with my computer.

!