Boot Question

For the past while, my system has been taking overlong to boot. I
haven't been able to track down why (even when I disable start-up
items, it still takes forever) and today I ran Bootlog and spent about
an hour going over the list. Although I didn't see any obvious
problems (failures), I did see a tremendous number of exact
duplicates, in some cases as many as 5 entries for the same thing. Is
this because of duplicate entries in the Registry? Or is something
else at play here?
15 answers Last reply
More about boot question

    coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:

    >For the past while, my system has been taking overlong to boot. I
    >haven't been able to track down why (even when I disable start-up
    >items, it still takes forever) and today I ran Bootlog and spent about
    >an hour going over the list. Although I didn't see any obvious
    >problems (failures), I did see a tremendous number of exact
    >duplicates, in some cases as many as 5 entries for the same thing. Is
    >this because of duplicate entries in the Registry? Or is something
    >else at play here?

    Get the free Bootlog Analyzer utility from
    http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/ and use it to process
    the Bootlog file you created.

    Click on the "show delays" checkbox to see what is using the most time
    during the bootup. Post that information back here if you need
    advice or assistance with this.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:59 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:
    >
    >>For the past while, my system has been taking overlong to boot. I
    >>haven't been able to track down why (even when I disable start-up
    >>items, it still takes forever) and today I ran Bootlog and spent about
    >>an hour going over the list. Although I didn't see any obvious
    >>problems (failures), I did see a tremendous number of exact
    >>duplicates, in some cases as many as 5 entries for the same thing. Is
    >>this because of duplicate entries in the Registry? Or is something
    >>else at play here?
    >
    >Get the free Bootlog Analyzer utility from
    >http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/ and use it to process
    >the Bootlog file you created.
    >
    >Click on the "show delays" checkbox to see what is using the most time
    >during the bootup. Post that information back here if you need
    >advice or assistance with this.
    >
    >Good luck

    Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
    duplicates?

    >Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >--
    >Microsoft MVP
    >On-Line Help Computer Service
    >http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >
    >In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Is Norton's Go Back installed and functioning? That is a real culprit.

    Maybe the new M$ updates are causing it? Try disabling one of them (kb891711, in
    msconfig).

    MOSearch & MDM7 from M$ Office could also jam up your computer. (Uncheckmark
    those from msconfig.) After each Office update, you'll have to repeat this
    process.

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:29:12 GMT, "Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't
    Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote:

    >Is Norton's Go Back installed and functioning? That is a real culprit.

    Sooner have my teeth drilled than leave this program on my computer.

    >Maybe the new M$ updates are causing it? Try disabling one of them (kb891711, in
    >msconfig).

    That's when the problem started, after I completely uninstalled that
    particular disease.

    >MOSearch & MDM7 from M$ Office could also jam up your computer. (Uncheckmark
    >those from msconfig.) After each Office update, you'll have to repeat this
    >process.

    coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:59 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
    >wrote:

    >Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
    >duplicates?

    At this point let's not worry about what appears to be duplicates. If
    there are genuine duplications then most of the time these will result
    in some sort of an error message or a "failure" record in the bootlog
    file.

    Once the delays are sorted out we can perhaps revisit the situation
    and see what further improvements can be made.

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:49:52 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:59 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:
    >>
    >>>For the past while, my system has been taking overlong to boot. I
    >>>haven't been able to track down why (even when I disable start-up
    >>>items, it still takes forever) and today I ran Bootlog and spent about
    >>>an hour going over the list. Although I didn't see any obvious
    >>>problems (failures), I did see a tremendous number of exact
    >>>duplicates, in some cases as many as 5 entries for the same thing. Is
    >>>this because of duplicate entries in the Registry? Or is something
    >>>else at play here?
    >>
    >>Get the free Bootlog Analyzer utility from
    >>http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/ and use it to process
    >>the Bootlog file you created.
    >>
    >>Click on the "show delays" checkbox to see what is using the most time
    >>during the bootup. Post that information back here if you need
    >>advice or assistance with this.
    >>
    >>Good luck
    >
    >Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
    >duplicates?

    I ran the program and the only failure was:
    "15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
    and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
    repeated 4 times.

    >>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >>--
    >>Microsoft MVP
    >>On-Line Help Computer Service
    >>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>
    >>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >>http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    If you open up ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager do you have multiple
    entries for any of your hardware ?

    Rick

    E. Barry Bruyea wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:49:52 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:21:59 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Get the free Bootlog Analyzer utility from
    >>>http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/terrace/pk29/ and use it to process
    >>>the Bootlog file you created.
    >>>
    >>>Click on the "show delays" checkbox to see what is using the most time
    >>>during the bootup. Post that information back here if you need
    >>>advice or assistance with this.
    >>>
    >>>Good luck
    >>
    >>Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
    >>duplicates?
    >

    > I ran the program and the only failure was:
    > "15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
    > and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
    > repeated 4 times.
    >

    >>>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >>>--
    >>>Microsoft MVP
    >>>On-Line Help Computer Service
    >>>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    >>>
    >>>In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >>>http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea) wrote:

    >I ran the program and the only failure was:
    >"15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
    >and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
    >repeated 4 times.

    There are some load failures that are really "not required" rather
    than failures. As I said previously, let's focus on the startup
    delays, which was your original concern.

    When you launch Boot Log Analyzer there is a checkbox near the top
    left corner, right behind the Start button that reads "Show Delays".

    Please please please click on that checkbox to select it. Then post
    the information about the startup delays back here.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:10:07 -0500, Rick T
    <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

    >If you open up ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager do you have multiple
    >entries for any of your hardware ?
    >

    >Rick

    There is one duplicate under "Human Interface Device"
    1-HID-Complient Device (I assume this is the USB Mouse.)
    2-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?)
    3-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?) (This one has a ? over the icon)

    I removed #3 & the mouse disappeared from my screen, but returned on
    reboot with the entry returning, along with the ?.

    >E. Barry Bruyea wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:49:52 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
    >> wrote:

    >>>Thanks, Ron, I'll do that, but what about the multiplicity of
    >>>duplicates?
    >>

    >> I ran the program and the only failure was:
    >> "15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
    >> and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
    >> repeated 4 times.

    Try 'Removing' ALL USB mice in Safe Mode (with & without ?'s)

    Mart

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:30:48 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:10:07 -0500, Rick T
    ><plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>If you open up ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager do you have multiple
    >>entries for any of your hardware ?
    >>

    >>Rick
    >
    >There is one duplicate under "Human Interface Device"
    >1-HID-Complient Device (I assume this is the USB Mouse.)
    >2-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?)
    >3-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?) (This one has a ? over the icon)
    >
    >I removed #3 & the mouse disappeared from my screen, but returned on
    >reboot with the entry returning, along with the ?.

    I just tried removing all three and then rebooted. Same entries came
    back, only this time #2 has the ? I did discover the #1 is the USB
    connection to my APC Backup.

    >>E. Barry Bruyea wrote:

    >>> I ran the program and the only failure was:
    >>> "15:29:34 0.00 Dynamic load failed : [000F514D] File not found"
    >>> and damned if I know what that is and by the way, this line is
    >>> repeated 4 times.

    > I just tried removing all three and then rebooted.
    > Same entries came back, only this time #2 has the ?

    Did you try Removing them (the mice) in Safe Mode or Normal Mode?

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 00:30:13 +0100, "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >> I just tried removing all three and then rebooted.
    >> Same entries came back, only this time #2 has the ?
    >
    >Did you try Removing them (the mice) in Safe Mode or Normal Mode?
    >
    >Mart

    Tried both. But surprise, surprise, when I booted this morning, the ?
    is no more and I haven't got a clue why; but now, I'm showing a
    "Default" monitor as well as my Sharp LCD and be damned if I know why.
    Ever since that damn patch from the windows update site got downloaded
    and screwed up my computer (I completely removed it post mortem) there
    has been a "ghost" in the machine.

    >"E. Barry Bruyea" <coldin@winter.org> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:30:48 GMT, coldin@winter.org (E. Barry Bruyea)
    >> wrote:

    >>>There is one duplicate under "Human Interface Device"
    >>>1-HID-Complient Device (I assume this is the USB Mouse.)
    >>>2-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?)
    >>>3-USB Human Interface Device (Mouse?) (This one has a ? over the icon)
    >>>
    >>>I removed #3 & the mouse disappeared from my screen, but returned on
    >>>reboot with the entry returning, along with the ?.
    >>
    >> I just tried removing all three and then rebooted. Same entries came
    >> back, only this time #2 has the ? I did discover the #1 is the USB
    >> connection to my APC Backup.

    > ... surprise, surprise, when I booted this
    > morning, the ? is no more.

    Not really a surprise, Barry. The reason for 'Removing' stuff in Safe rather
    than Normal mode is that, for example, if you've set-up to use two different
    mice (say over a period of time), then Normal Mode will only show the
    'working' mouse whereas the registry will be aware (enumerated) of the
    'non-working' mouse - and its appropriate drivers.

    For some reason (and I've no real idea why) WinMe gets confused <g> and
    doesn't always seem to enumerate a device properly and can then end up with
    a driver 'soup' causing resource conflicts - which I would guess, has
    happened to your mouse (and maybe your monitor too!) Removing in Normal Mode
    doesn't always clear the 'soup'.

    The bottom line being that 'Removing' ALL mice (say) in Safe Mode, clears
    the registry (of all mice) and rebooting into Normal Mode allows WinMe to
    re-detect and enumerate the device and re-install the correct drivers.

    On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 15:20:58 +0100, "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
    wrote:

    >> ... surprise, surprise, when I booted this
    >> morning, the ? is no more.
    >
    >Not really a surprise, Barry. The reason for 'Removing' stuff in Safe rather
    >than Normal mode is that, for example, if you've set-up to use two different
    >mice (say over a period of time), then Normal Mode will only show the
    >'working' mouse whereas the registry will be aware (enumerated) of the
    >'non-working' mouse - and its appropriate drivers.
    >
    >For some reason (and I've no real idea why) WinMe gets confused <g> and
    >doesn't always seem to enumerate a device properly and can then end up with
    >a driver 'soup' causing resource conflicts - which I would guess, has
    >happened to your mouse (and maybe your monitor too!) Removing in Normal Mode
    >doesn't always clear the 'soup'.
    >
    >The bottom line being that 'Removing' ALL mice (say) in Safe Mode, clears
    >the registry (of all mice) and rebooting into Normal Mode allows WinMe to
    >re-detect and enumerate the device and re-install the correct drivers.
    >
    >Mart

    Thanks, Mart, I don't always adhere to the discipline required to 'get
    along' with my computer.

    >"E. Barry Bruyea" <coldin@winter.org> wrote in message

    >>>Did you try Removing them (the mice) in Safe Mode or Normal Mode?
    >>>
    >>>Mart
    >>
    >> Tried both. But surprise, surprise, when I booted this morning, the ?
    >> is no more and I haven't got a clue why; but now, I'm showing a
    >> "Default" monitor as well as my Sharp LCD and be damned if I know why.
    >> Ever since that damn patch from the windows update site got downloaded
    >> and screwed up my computer (I completely removed it post mortem) there
    >> has been a "ghost" in the machine.
    >>

    >>>"E. Barry Bruyea" <coldin@winter.org> wrote in message

Boot Microsoft Windows