Networking clients unable connect to net after installing ..

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 30, 2005 7:15:03 PM

Installed Norton Systemworks 2005 on host PC. We have home networking
configured with host and 2 clients. 2 client PCs can't connect to net via our
internet connection sharing since then. Have WinMe on all 3. Host PC can
still connect to net.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 10:53:54 AM

Norton Firewall is blocking - get rid of it, or find the correct method for
allowing ICS in NPF, on the Symantec website.

Good Luck (you'll need it, with Norton installed!)

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

In fond memory of one of life's Gentlemen - Alex Nichol
http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Marilyn" <Marilyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Installed Norton Systemworks 2005 on host PC. We have home networking
> configured with host and 2 clients. 2 client PCs can't connect to net via
> our
> internet connection sharing since then. Have WinMe on all 3. Host PC can
> still connect to net.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:52:36 PM

In article <C98C8869-1C33-4F16-B2B2-D3D1401EC8D7@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?
TWFyaWx5bg==?= says...

> Installed Norton Systemworks 2005 on host PC. We have home networking
> configured with host and 2 clients. 2 client PCs can't connect to net via our
> internet connection sharing since then. Have WinMe on all 3. Host PC can
> still connect to net.

Does NSW 2005 include the Norton firewall? Is so, did you configure your LAN
IP address range as trusted in the firewall? If not, your computers
connecting to the gateway ("host") will be blocked.

Disregard the snide comments about Norton. The only Norton application that
ever caused me trouble was the Norton System Doctor. All the other
applications that I have used work just fine; as long as you don't enable
email scanning with the anti virus program.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

> Disregard the snide comments about Norton.

Why? Just because you have apparently been lucky there are many thousands
who have not. Few if any Symantec products work as designed and virtually
none at all when installed on Win Me. The list of known Symantec
generated problems on Win Me exceeds 20 of their products with the System
Doctor being just one. Disk Doctor, NAV, NIS and LiveUpdate are all well
known to have destroyed Win Me systems and Symantec have never once made
the slightest effort to correct that behaviour.

Personally I would almost go as far as to recommend that a user runs with
no AV application than have NAV installed. There are many well documented
cases where NAV having detected a virus has virtually and totally
unnecessarily destroyed a system in its half hearted attempt to fix the
problem.

Few users who care about their systems voluntarily install any product
from Symantec on their PCs and for very good reasons. One being that
there are far better and cheaper products available that actually work.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

N. Miller <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> In article <C98C8869-1C33-4F16-B2B2-D3D1401EC8D7@microsoft.com>,
> =?Utf-8?B? TWFyaWx5bg==?= says...
>
>> Installed Norton Systemworks 2005 on host PC. We have home
>> networking configured with host and 2 clients. 2 client PCs can't
>> connect to net via our internet connection sharing since then. Have
>> WinMe on all 3. Host PC can still connect to net.
>
> Does NSW 2005 include the Norton firewall? Is so, did you configure
> your LAN IP address range as trusted in the firewall? If not, your
> computers connecting to the gateway ("host") will be blocked.
>
> Disregard the snide comments about Norton. The only Norton
> application that ever caused me trouble was the Norton System Doctor.
> All the other applications that I have used work just fine; as long
> as you don't enable email scanning with the anti virus program.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:14:53 AM

With respect ... poo!

Obviously you've never had to spend hours rooting a blown Norton install out
of your computer, have you? If a virus or spyware/adware program damages an
existing Norton install there's no way to fix it - you have to manually
uninstall Norton, clean the Registry of leftover debris, then maybe you can
re-install it or something else. Preferably something else, at that point.
:-)

NAV is the only antivirus app I've ever come across that is both so easily
damaged and yet impossible to fix or remove once it's been damaged. I have
personally had to go through this several times for friends and relatives
who were victims of the product known as NAV.

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Disregard the snide comments about Norton. The only Norton application
> that
> ever caused me trouble was the Norton System Doctor. All the other
> applications that I have used work just fine; as long as you don't enable
> email scanning with the anti virus program.
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 12:42:25 PM

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:52:36 GMT,N. Miller
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> penned this whopper in
microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> Disregard the snide comments about Norton. The only Norton application
> that ever caused me trouble was the Norton System Doctor. All the
> other applications that I have used work just fine; as long as you
> don't enable email scanning with the anti virus program.

The only Norton that never caused me trouble was Art Carney's. :-P

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."

Mike
!