KB891711.EXE

Contrary to my recent post about no effect on Opera, it seems if a lot of
sub-windows are open in the MDI, a JVM error pops up and won't give access
to details. Interesting, because I used Sun, so I checked, and the sun
applet was reset to only work with IE. Also the update in AVG was reset and
had to be set to proxy then no proxy, then apply, then OK beforre it would
work.
--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."

Mike

"BJ Honeycut" wrote:
> Contrary to my recent post about no effect on Opera, it seems
> if a lot of
> sub-windows are open in the MDI, a JVM error pops up and won't
> give access
> to details. Interesting, because I used Sun, so I checked, and
> the sun
> applet was reset to only work with IE. Also the update in AVG
> was reset and
> had to be set to proxy then no proxy, then apply, then OK
> beforre it would
> work.
> --
> "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
> it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in
> splendor."
> Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.
>
> Mike

Hopefully related to the thread, my machine boots to just before the
task bar showing and stops. A cursor arrow is on the screen and can be
moved by the mouse. Ctrl Alt Del reveals kb891711 in task mgr. Machine
will not boot all the way to remove from msconfig. What options do I
have? Reinstall of Win ME gets to SU WIN verx.dll error. Cannot boot
to windows at all, even in safe mode.

tnx

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-KB891711.EXE-ftopict352097.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1112868

> What options do I have?

Boot to Safe Mode, launch MSConfig (Start | Run, enter MSConfig in box and
click OK), open the startup tab and uncheck KB891711. Apply and OK and
then boot back into Normal Mode.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

"mcoomes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote ...

> Hopefully related to the thread, my machine boots to just before the
> task bar showing and stops. A cursor arrow is on the screen and can be
> moved by the mouse. Ctrl Alt Del reveals kb891711 in task mgr. Machine
> will not boot all the way to remove from msconfig. What options do I
> have? Reinstall of Win ME gets to SU WIN verx.dll error. Cannot boot
> to windows at all, even in safe mode.

If you can't even start in Safe Mode, you may want to try a reinstall of WinME, with this previous "preparation":

Bootup with a startup disk and at the A:> prompt type (note the spaces):

REN C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1 OLDINT

Press enter. Then type:

REN C:\PROGRA~1\WINDOW~1 OLDWMP

Press enter. Then type:

REN C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMPLOC.DLL WMPLOC.OLD

Press enter.

If you manage all changes without errors, retry the install.

The tilde (~) in DOS is obtained this way: Press ALT and type 0126.

This, of course, if you're using a non-latin based keyboard.

Good luck.

Zee

"mcoomes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message news:3_1112868_768c5f3157b7af3203c2d35471bd3abb@windowsforumz.com...
> "BJ Honeycut" wrote:
> > Contrary to my recent post about no effect on Opera, it seems
> > if a lot of
> > sub-windows are open in the MDI, a JVM error pops up and won't
> > give access
> > to details. Interesting, because I used Sun, so I checked, and
> > the sun
> > applet was reset to only work with IE. Also the update in AVG
> > was reset and
> > had to be set to proxy then no proxy, then apply, then OK
> > beforre it would
> > work.
> > --
> > "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
> > it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in
> > splendor."
> > Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Hopefully related to the thread, my machine boots to just before the
> task bar showing and stops. A cursor arrow is on the screen and can be
> moved by the mouse. Ctrl Alt Del reveals kb891711 in task mgr. Machine
> will not boot all the way to remove from msconfig. What options do I
> have? Reinstall of Win ME gets to SU WIN verx.dll error. Cannot boot
> to windows at all, even in safe mode.
>
> tnx

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-KB891711.EXE-ftopict352097.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1112868

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:48:51 GMT,BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid>
penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> Contrary to my recent post about no effect on Opera, it seems if a lot
> of sub-windows are open in the MDI, a JVM error pops up and won't give
> access to details. Interesting, because I used Sun, so I checked, and
> the sun applet was reset to only work with IE. Also the update in AVG
> was reset and had to be set to proxy then no proxy, then apply, then
> OK beforre it would work.

Reproduced: It takes in excess of 19 windows (yes, untypical) in the MDI to
cause this. AVG is unaffected unless the JAVA plugin goes. There you have
it. As I am not a code ferret of late, anyone wishing to delve into it feel
free:
JRE: 1.4.01
Opera: 7.11
AVG: 7.0.308

--

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 19:39:27 +0100, "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

>If you can't even start in Safe Mode, you may want to try a reinstall of WinME

Nah, I wouldn't, unless I knew that the KB executable was active in
Safe Mode as well as Normal Mode - because Safe Mode failure would
indicate an unrelated problem that may make it too dangerous to run
Windows at all, let alone "just" re-install it.

Even if I did find the KB was active in Safe, I'd look to a way of
disabling it (e.g. rename the file away from DOS mode and edit it out
of the SFP list if neccesary). Refs:

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/sr-sfp.htm - about WinME's SFP and SR

http://cquirke.mvps.org/reinst.htm - on "just" re-install Windows

Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

You may have missed this in the original post:

Reinstall of Win ME gets to SU WIN verx.dll error. Cannot boot to windows at
all, even in safe mode.
Unquote.

Should he dump the PC?

Zee

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in
message news:gkqv419r5de59en2c67dp2k19a1rarkcko@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 19:39:27 +0100, "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >If you can't even start in Safe Mode, you may want to try a reinstall of
WinME

> Nah, I wouldn't, unless I knew that the KB executable was active in
> Safe Mode as well as Normal Mode - because Safe Mode failure would
> indicate an unrelated problem that may make it too dangerous to run
> Windows at all, let alone "just" re-install it.
>
> Even if I did find the KB was active in Safe, I'd look to a way of
> disabling it (e.g. rename the file away from DOS mode and edit it out
> of the SFP list if neccesary). Refs:
>
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/sr-sfp.htm - about WinME's SFP and SR
>
> http://cquirke.mvps.org/reinst.htm - on "just" re-install Windows
>

> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
> Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

> Should he dump the PC?

No, just rename wmploc.dll as you have already suggested to the OP
followed by reinstalling Win Me.

I still don't understand the knee jerk reaction of so many of reinstalling
Win Me over itself when encountering a problem without at the very least
having first tried booting to Safe Mode and using System Restore. In this
case a problem which is easily solved by booting to Safe Mode and
unchecking the KB891711 entry in MSConfig startup.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:57:31 GMT,"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

>> Should he dump the PC?
>
> No, just rename wmploc.dll as you have already suggested to the OP
> followed by reinstalling Win Me.
>
> I still don't understand the knee jerk reaction of so many of
> reinstalling Win Me over itself when encountering a problem without at
> the very least having first tried booting to Safe Mode and using
> System Restore. In this case a problem which is easily solved by
> booting to Safe Mode and unchecking the KB891711 entry in MSConfig
> startup.

Or at the least doeing a three fingered alute and killing the process to
figure out what is wrong. Last in, last problem.

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

Mike

Mike,

I do agree with you on this.

And don't look surprised...

Zee

BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid> wrote:

> Or at the least doeing a three fingered alute and killing the process
> to figure out what is wrong. Last in, last problem.

Mike,

Agreed. I don't know how many times I've seen posters reporting problems
following an in place reinstall of Win Me when all that was needed was the
use of System Restore or scanreg /restore or other simple fix from Safe
Mode. Problems following the reinstall being in many cases far worse than
the problem they were trying to solve originally all the more so nowadays
due to many users having IE6 and/or WMP9 installed.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:18:02 GMT,"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only>
penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> BJ Honeycut <Friday@drag.net.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Or at the least doeing a three fingered alute and killing the process
>> to figure out what is wrong. Last in, last problem.
>
> Mike,
>
> Agreed. I don't know how many times I've seen posters reporting
> problems following an in place reinstall of Win Me when all that was
> needed was the use of System Restore or scanreg /restore or other
> simple fix from Safe Mode. Problems following the reinstall being in
> many cases far worse than the problem they were trying to solve
> originally all the more so nowadays due to many users having IE6
> and/or WMP9 installed.

No doubt Mike.
I solved my earlier prob with that notorios fix by the above method and
then killed some windows in the Opera MDI and then went to the Java Applet
in CP and restored the function to (netscape) Opera and everything is
smooth. I wish I knew what went wrong in the code, but haven't the time.

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

Mike

oops!! <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I do agree with you on this.
>
> And don't look surprised...

No, I'm not surprised at all Zee. We've had our differences but I've
never taken you for a fool just a bit stubborn. <vbg> Take this thread,
you're the only one who seemingly read to the end and saw the reference to
suwin and verx whereas I had just jumped in and told the poster to boot to
Safe Mode and uncheck the KB891711 entry in MSConfig - something that
wouldn't have been of much use in the circumstances. However I suspect
that having reinstalled Win Me over itself the OP might well still find
KB891711 present and being launched each time they boot.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:38:22 +0100, "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote:
>You may have missed this in the original post:

>Reinstall of Win ME gets to SU WIN verx.dll error. Cannot boot to windows at
>all, even in safe mode.
>Unquote.

>Should he dump the PC?

No, but he should definitely do "the prelim"...

http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/bthink.htm

....as this suggests flaky hardware or active malware.

http://cquirke.mvps.org/reinst.htm refers too.