Desktop Icons

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 1, 2005 2:10:20 AM

I used to be able to move and place the icons at will, by holding down the
left mouse button while pointing at the icon, moving and then releasing the
button to place it.
Now they refuse to move all of a sudden and I don't know what brought this
on.
Is this mouse related or else?

Harry.

More about : desktop icons

April 1, 2005 2:10:21 AM

When you right-click on the desktop is Auto Arrange selected in the
Arrange Icons group? If so, uncheck it.

webster72n wrote:
> I used to be able to move and place the icons at will, by holding down the
> left mouse button while pointing at the icon, moving and then releasing the
> button to place it.
> Now they refuse to move all of a sudden and I don't know what brought this
> on.
> Is this mouse related or else?
>
> Harry.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:10:21 AM

Sounds like your system has reverted to the default setting of Auto Arrange
for icons..........right click a vacant area of your desktop, hover your
pointer over the "Arrange icons" and make sure nothing, on the slide out
menu, has a checkmark beside it......especially, the 'auto arrange' setting.
Heirloom, old and feel a migraine coming on

> I used to be able to move and place the icons at will, by holding down the
> left mouse button while pointing at the icon, moving and then releasing
the
> button to place it.
> Now they refuse to move all of a sudden and I don't know what brought this
> on.
> Is this mouse related or else?
>
> Harry.

April 1, 2005 2:46:36 AM

Tom:

Auto Arrange was not checked. I did check it and unchecked it again, just to
make sure, but that didn't bring about any change in the situation.
This is totally new to me, because so far I always was able to move those
icons at will to wherever I wanted to.
Maybe I ought to put a new computer on my wish list for Santa Claus.
Thanks Tom.

Harry.

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> When you right-click on the desktop is Auto Arrange selected in the
> Arrange Icons group? If so, uncheck it.
>
> webster72n wrote:
> > I used to be able to move and place the icons at will, by holding down
the
> > left mouse button while pointing at the icon, moving and then releasing
the
> > button to place it.
> > Now they refuse to move all of a sudden and I don't know what brought
this
> > on.
> > Is this mouse related or else?
> >
> > Harry.

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:46:37 AM

Harry,
Do you have any other programs that can control the desktop icons?
i.e., Iconoid, XTeq Setup, etc. If so, check them. Also, check to see if
you can 'drag and drop' in any other programs, or resize a window...the
icons may just be an indicator of other issues.
Heirloom, old and yep, full blown migraine

news:o 0hTN1mNFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> Tom:
>
> Auto Arrange was not checked. I did check it and unchecked it again, just
> make sure, but that didn't bring about any change in the situation.
> This is totally new to me, because so far I always was able to move those
> icons at will to wherever I wanted to.
> Maybe I ought to put a new computer on my wish list for Santa Claus.
> Thanks Tom.
>
> Harry.
>

> "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > When you right-click on the desktop is Auto Arrange selected in the
> > Arrange Icons group? If so, uncheck it.
> >
> > webster72n wrote:
> > > I used to be able to move and place the icons at will, by holding down
> the
> > > left mouse button while pointing at the icon, moving and then
releasing
> the
> > > button to place it.
> > > Now they refuse to move all of a sudden and I don't know what brought
> this
> > > on.
> > > Is this mouse related or else?
> > >
> > > Harry.

April 1, 2005 3:04:32 AM

Poor babe......I get vicious migraines too. About to start raining in
Tyler??

Mine are weather related, usually.

Figgs

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> Harry,
> Do you have any other programs that can control the desktop icons?
> i.e., Iconoid, XTeq Setup, etc. If so, check them. Also, check to see if
> you can 'drag and drop' in any other programs, or resize a window...the
> icons may just be an indicator of other issues.
> Heirloom, old and yep, full blown migraine
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:o 0hTN1mNFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> > Tom:
> >
> > Auto Arrange was not checked. I did check it and unchecked it again,
just
> > make sure, but that didn't bring about any change in the situation.
> > This is totally new to me, because so far I always was able to move
those
> > icons at will to wherever I wanted to.
> > Maybe I ought to put a new computer on my wish list for Santa Claus.
> > Thanks Tom.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > > When you right-click on the desktop is Auto Arrange selected in the
> > > Arrange Icons group? If so, uncheck it.

> > the
> releasing
> > the
> > this

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:04:33 AM

'Twas a poor attempt at humour, Figgs. But, a big T-storm did just move
through. BTW, get some Midrin (Rx), it works wonders on migraines with no
drowsiness. The only drawback is that they leave a nasty taste in your
mouth for about 4 hours, but, it beats the socks off of having a migraine.
Heirloom, old and got lots of socks

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Poor babe......I get vicious migraines too. About to start raining in
> Tyler??
>
> Mine are weather related, usually.
>
> Figgs
>
> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > Harry,
> > Do you have any other programs that can control the desktop
icons?
> > i.e., Iconoid, XTeq Setup, etc. If so, check them. Also, check to see
if
> > you can 'drag and drop' in any other programs, or resize a window...the
> > icons may just be an indicator of other issues.
> > Heirloom, old and yep, full blown migraine
> >

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 0hTN1mNFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > >
> > > Tom:
> > >
> > > Auto Arrange was not checked. I did check it and unchecked it again,
> just
> > > make sure, but that didn't bring about any change in the situation.
> > > This is totally new to me, because so far I always was able to move
> those
> > > icons at will to wherever I wanted to.
> > > Maybe I ought to put a new computer on my wish list for Santa Claus.
> > > Thanks Tom.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message

> down
> > > the
> > releasing
> > > the
> brought
> > > this

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:28:35 AM

Heirloom:

I don't have any of those programs, but just thought of a possible cause: I
installed Tweak UI immediately before this happened. Maybe I better check
that situation out.
Otherwise I get 'Iconoid' and try it.
Thaks.

Harry.

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> Harry,
> Do you have any other programs that can control the desktop icons?
> i.e., Iconoid, XTeq Setup, etc. If so, check them. Also, check to see if
> you can 'drag and drop' in any other programs, or resize a window...the
> icons may just be an indicator of other issues.
> Heirloom, old and yep, full blown migraine
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> news:o 0hTN1mNFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> > Tom:
> >
> > Auto Arrange was not checked. I did check it and unchecked it again,
just
> > make sure, but that didn't bring about any change in the situation.
> > This is totally new to me, because so far I always was able to move
those
> > icons at will to wherever I wanted to.
> > Maybe I ought to put a new computer on my wish list for Santa Claus.
> > Thanks Tom.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > > When you right-click on the desktop is Auto Arrange selected in the
> > > Arrange Icons group? If so, uncheck it.

> > the
> releasing
> > the
> > this

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:28:36 AM

Don't know of TweakUI having that capability.....could be wrong, but, I was
not advocating the introduction of Iconoid......that is NOT going to solve
the problem. It has a feature to 'remember' icon placement and put them
back (handy after coming out of Safe Mode) and some other tweaking facets,
like changing the color of the icon text, background, etc.

You need to find out what has your icons 'locked' into their position and
correct it from the source.
Heirloom, old and nothing stays buried in a computer

> Heirloom:
>
> I don't have any of those programs, but just thought of a possible cause:
> installed Tweak UI immediately before this happened. Maybe I better check
> that situation out.
> Otherwise I get 'Iconoid' and try it.
> Thaks.
>
> Harry.
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > Harry,
> > Do you have any other programs that can control the desktop
icons?
> > i.e., Iconoid, XTeq Setup, etc. If so, check them. Also, check to see
if
> > you can 'drag and drop' in any other programs, or resize a window...the
> > icons may just be an indicator of other issues.
> > Heirloom, old and yep, full blown migraine
> >

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 0hTN1mNFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > >
> > > Tom:
> > >
> > > Auto Arrange was not checked. I did check it and unchecked it again,
> just
> > > make sure, but that didn't bring about any change in the situation.
> > > This is totally new to me, because so far I always was able to move
> those
> > > icons at will to wherever I wanted to.
> > > Maybe I ought to put a new computer on my wish list for Santa Claus.
> > > Thanks Tom.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message

> down
> > > the
> > releasing
> > > the
> brought
> > > this

April 1, 2005 3:34:53 AM

BINGO!!

> Heirloom:
>
> I don't have any of those programs, but just thought of a possible cause:
> installed Tweak UI immediately before this happened. Maybe I better check
> that situation out.
> Otherwise I get 'Iconoid' and try it.
> Thaks.
>
> Harry.
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > Harry,
> > Do you have any other programs that can control the desktop
icons?
> > i.e., Iconoid, XTeq Setup, etc. If so, check them. Also, check to see
if
> > you can 'drag and drop' in any other programs, or resize a window...the
> > icons may just be an indicator of other issues.
> > Heirloom, old and yep, full blown migraine
> >

> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > news:o 0hTN1mNFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > >
> > > Tom:
> > >
> > > Auto Arrange was not checked. I did check it and unchecked it again,
> just
> > > make sure, but that didn't bring about any change in the situation.
> > > This is totally new to me, because so far I always was able to move
> those
> > > icons at will to wherever I wanted to.
> > > Maybe I ought to put a new computer on my wish list for Santa Claus.
> > > Thanks Tom.
> > >
> > > Harry.
> > >

> > > "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message

> down
> > > the
> > releasing
> > > the
> brought
> > > this

April 1, 2005 3:44:09 AM

Very poor......went right over my head (pun intended, grin)

I use Cafergot......old Rx, but makes me loopy. (loopier?) Anyway, it
usually works. Better than chewing on old socks.

XX Figgs

> 'Twas a poor attempt at humour, Figgs. But, a big T-storm did just move
> through. BTW, get some Midrin (Rx), it works wonders on migraines with no
> drowsiness. The only drawback is that they leave a nasty taste in your
> mouth for about 4 hours, but, it beats the socks off of having a migraine.
> Heirloom, old and got lots of socks
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Poor babe......I get vicious migraines too. About to start raining in
> > Tyler??
> >
> > Mine are weather related, usually.
> >
> > Figgs
> >
> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > > Harry,
> > > Do you have any other programs that can control the desktop
> icons?
> > > i.e., Iconoid, XTeq Setup, etc. If so, check them. Also, check to
see
> if
> > > you can 'drag and drop' in any other programs, or resize a
window...the
> > > icons may just be an indicator of other issues.
> > > Heirloom, old and yep, full blown migraine
> > >

> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > > news:o 0hTN1mNFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> > just
> > those

> > down
> > > releasing
> > brought

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:55:32 AM

Don't worry, Heirloom, I'll fight my way out of this jungle.

Harry, old and no hope lost.

> Don't know of TweakUI having that capability.....could be wrong, but, I
was
> not advocating the introduction of Iconoid......that is NOT going to solve
> the problem. It has a feature to 'remember' icon placement and put them
> back (handy after coming out of Safe Mode) and some other tweaking facets,
> like changing the color of the icon text, background, etc.
>
> You need to find out what has your icons 'locked' into their position and
> correct it from the source.
> Heirloom, old and nothing stays buried in a
computer

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Heirloom:
> >
> > I don't have any of those programs, but just thought of a possible
cause:
> > installed Tweak UI immediately before this happened. Maybe I better
check
> > that situation out.
> > Otherwise I get 'Iconoid' and try it.
> > Thaks.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > > Harry,
> > > Do you have any other programs that can control the desktop
> icons?
> > > i.e., Iconoid, XTeq Setup, etc. If so, check them. Also, check to
see
> if
> > > you can 'drag and drop' in any other programs, or resize a
window...the
> > > icons may just be an indicator of other issues.
> > > Heirloom, old and yep, full blown migraine
> > >

> > > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > > news:o 0hTN1mNFHA.604@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> > just
> > those

> > down
> > > releasing
> > brought

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:34:53 AM

It could be a log file from his eTrust Firewall that keeps getting written to
and it is causing his mouse to be tempered by interruptions.

Outlook Express needs to be program enabled within the firewall.

I just installed eTrust products last night, and I am feeling the bugs.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 1:13:26 PM

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:hY53e.8497$kC3.8375@twister.nyroc.rr.com
> It could be a log file from his eTrust Firewall that keeps getting
> written to and it is causing his mouse to be tempered by
> interruptions.

I just deactivated my eTrust Firewall and went back to my Tiny Personal Firewall
(2001). I have 25% more resources upon bootup and it seems the mouse stuttering
will subside substantially. But from the way my screen is responding to my
typing here, maybe the eTrust anti-virus is too overcontrolling on whatever goes
on too. I may have to go & reinstall my Panda AV after uninstalling this eTrust
nonsense. My machine is slow, PII 350 Mhz, so that may be the problem with the
AV & eTrust products. Good thing this eTrust stuff was free or I'd never be able
to take it back! I do believe I need Win XP for the eTrust Firewall though. ZA
firewall uses quite a bit of resources on my parents Win Me machine too.

> Outlook Express needs to be program enabled within the firewall.
>
> I just installed eTrust products last night, and I am feeling the
> bugs.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 2:41:10 PM

I've never had problems with eTrust AV or its predecessor InoculateIT on
slower PCs running Win Me such as a celeron 400 and a celeron 300(?). I
feel you may need to look elsewhere for the cause of any problems you
might have experienced. Likewise for ZoneAlarm. What can cause problems
with ZoneAlarm is prolonged use of certain P2P applications which then
cause ZA to use excessive amounts of memory. Stopping and restarting the
P2P application or ZA clears the problem. One example of such a P2P
application is emule.

I don't understand your
> I do believe I need Win XP for the eTrust Firewall though.
since eTrust's firewall is a rebadged ZoneAlarm and as I have said above
this works perfectly well on PCs running Win Me as it does on those
running Win 98/98SE and XP. Not that XP really needs a third party
firewall as SP2's firewall is pretty good although it doesn't give the
same level of notification as ZA.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Cymbal Man Freq. <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote:

> I just deactivated my eTrust Firewall and went back to my Tiny
> Personal Firewall (2001). I have 25% more resources upon bootup and
> it seems the mouse stuttering will subside substantially. But from
> the way my screen is responding to my typing here, maybe the eTrust
> anti-virus is too overcontrolling on whatever goes on too. I may have
> to go & reinstall my Panda AV after uninstalling this eTrust
> nonsense. My machine is slow, PII 350 Mhz, so that may be the problem
> with the AV & eTrust products. Good thing this eTrust stuff was free
> or I'd never be able to take it back! I do believe I need Win XP for
> the eTrust Firewall though. ZA firewall uses quite a bit of resources
> on my parents Win Me machine too.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:23:00 PM

<lol> Is that possible <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:

but makes me loopy. (loopier?)
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:23:49 PM

<lol> I'm not surprised <g>
Joan

heirloom wrote:

> Heirloom, old and yep, full blown migraine

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:30:59 PM

Heirloom:

By using SR I solved 1and 1/2 of my problems.
If I keep at it I might solve them all.
Thanks for your contribution.

Harry.

> Sounds like your system has reverted to the default setting of Auto
Arrange
> for icons..........right click a vacant area of your desktop, hover your
> pointer over the "Arrange icons" and make sure nothing, on the slide out
> menu, has a checkmark beside it......especially, the 'auto arrange'
setting.
> Heirloom, old and feel a migraine coming on
>

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > I used to be able to move and place the icons at will, by holding down
the
> > left mouse button while pointing at the icon, moving and then releasing
> the
> > button to place it.
> > Now they refuse to move all of a sudden and I don't know what brought
this
> > on.
> > Is this mouse related or else?
> >
> > Harry.

April 1, 2005 9:09:33 PM

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:o dglVQnNFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> BINGO!!

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:10:44 PM

> I've never had problems with eTrust AV or its predecessor InoculateIT
> on slower PCs running Win Me such as a celeron 400 and a celeron
> 300(?). I feel you may need to look elsewhere for the cause of any
> problems you might have experienced. Likewise for ZoneAlarm. What
> can cause problems with ZoneAlarm is prolonged use of certain P2P
> applications which then cause ZA to use excessive amounts of memory.
> Stopping and restarting the P2P application or ZA clears the problem.
> One example of such a P2P application is emule.

My APC BackUPS program was always running and showing up as "traffic". With
Tiny, that trafffic also occurs: but the eTrust/ZA Firewall wouldn't let me
scroll properly AT ALL with the mouse, and getting from web page to web page
took an act of Congress it seemed. The mouse was always getting hung up: so I
move it and it doesn't start actually moving on the screen until it is done
being interrupted, which could be several seconds and by then I've got a runaway
mouse on the screen. Since Tiny has been reactivated and the eTrust/ZA has been
deactivated, the mouse problems and the web page jungle-gyming has been much,
much easier withstand.

However, my keyboard is still delayed. I used the 2 minute snooze mode for the
eTrust AV and pressed down on a certain key on my keyboard inside an OE message
with & without the snooze on and I noticed that problems got much worse when the
snooze was off. I still had some residual problems when the snooze was on, so
the snoozing AV program is still conscious and affecting my keyboard AFAIK.

Since problems dissipate by using alternative Firewall and AV products, I've got
to blame the eTrust products: they are just inappropriate to my specific
machine. Of course, if I used BelArc to print up all of the programs on my
machine, it'd probably use up 7 print pages. So Heather would probably give me
the cold shoulder for abusing the capacities of the machine. I say, why are my
resources down 25% upon installation of the eTrust Firewall, and why is my
keyboard hesitating with this AV and not the other? (Glass half full/half empty
dilemma.)

These new eTrust programs depend on more resources than older or different
programs, short & simple. If you run out of resources (User & System, GDI) while
opening Word, you WILL get BSOD's like what was described in a recent post on
the subject, that has been proven on my parents Win Me machine recently.
(0x800CCC0F error, or something like it) So using the Resource Meter becomes
critical in tracking this kind of problem down. If you have 11% resources and
try to do a 19% print job, you'll get an error message about using up more than
90% of your resources and the print driver may not even load and you'll be
wondering if you should toss the printer. NO! You're out of resources, and need
an OS that will handle more resources! The bloatware coming down from security
products are leaving little room for other things to work, including multiple
instances of open windows in IE!
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:37:09 PM

Interesting but I suspect your problems are much more likely to be due to
a misconfiguration of the products than with the products themselves. As
I and others will happily attest there are many users including myself
experiencing no problems with EZ-AV or Zone Alarm on Win Me when running
older slow processors with limited memory. For example I have never in
over five years of running Win Me in beta and then production have I ever
seen resource problems due to the use of either product - resources here
being the two 64KB stacks used by 16 bit applications and libraries.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

!