Ad-awarec & Scanner & Font

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 1, 2005 5:06:15 PM

Forgive me again for a new post on an old problem. David & Mart are so
right. I got the new software for the HP PhotoSmart Scanner, installed it
and still have the same problem. I even un-installed Ad-aware before
installing this update.

HP called me and said that my FONTS Folder is corrupted and I should call
Microsoft to repair it. Or I could do it myself by deleting the contents of
the Fonts Folder and copying from another PC that has ME and copying it to
my Folder.

I don't know about this. What do you say.

Thanks, Eileen

More about : awarec scanner font

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:23:53 PM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| Forgive me again for a new post on an old problem. David & Mart are so
| right. I got the new software for the HP PhotoSmart Scanner, installed it
| and still have the same problem. I even un-installed Ad-aware before
| installing this update.
|
| HP called me and said that my FONTS Folder is corrupted and I should call
| Microsoft to repair it. Or I could do it myself by deleting the contents of
| the Fonts Folder and copying from another PC that has ME and copying it to
| my Folder.
|
| I don't know about this. What do you say.
|
| Thanks, Eileen

I'm glad you posted :-)
Thanx for the updated information.

Look at your WIN.INI file

There is a section called ...
[FontSubstitutes]

Please Copy & Paste the entries below [FontSubstitutes] in your win.in file.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

David,
First, I opened WIN.INI in Windows Explorer and couldn't read it because it
was in Symbol font.

Do you want me to go to the two sites you posted and copy the contents to
WIN.INI ?

Eileen

news:o ddp6ivNFHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | Forgive me again for a new post on an old problem. David & Mart are so
> | right. I got the new software for the HP PhotoSmart Scanner, installed
it
> | and still have the same problem. I even un-installed Ad-aware before
> | installing this update.
> |
> | HP called me and said that my FONTS Folder is corrupted and I should
call
> | Microsoft to repair it. Or I could do it myself by deleting the
contents of
> | the Fonts Folder and copying from another PC that has ME and copying it
> | my Folder.
> |
> | I don't know about this. What do you say.
> |
> | Thanks, Eileen
> |

> I'm glad you posted :-)
> Thanx for the updated information.
>
> Look at your WIN.INI file
>
> There is a section called ...
> [FontSubstitutes]
>
> Please Copy & Paste the entries below [FontSubstitutes] in your win.in
file.

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 8:19:49 PM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| David,
| First, I opened WIN.INI in Windows Explorer and couldn't read it because it
| was in Symbol font.
|
| Do you want me to go to the two sites you posted and copy the contents to
| WIN.INI ?
|
| Eileen

..INI files are ASCII and should be associated to NOTEPAD.EXE

You can manually load it by the following command...
Go to; Start --> Run
notepad %windir%\win.ini

The in notepad, look for [FontSubstitutes]

Then highlight [FontSubstitutes] and all below it until the next [ExampleHeading], copy it
and then paste the results in the reply to this post.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 12:57:42 AM

Just got home from having dinner out.

I didn't find VGAFIXED.FON file in my Windows Font. However...
Some months ago, I moved a lot of fonts out that I don't use and put them in
a folder that I call 'extra fonts'.

In one of the files there is a font VGAFIX.FON. It is 6KB. Is this the one
you are asking about?
Eileen

news:o KA$zMxNFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

April 2, 2005 2:23:51 AM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| Just got home from having dinner out.
|
| I didn't find VGAFIXED.FON file in my Windows Font. However...
| Some months ago, I moved a lot of fonts out that I don't use and put them in
| a folder that I call 'extra fonts'.
|
| In one of the files there is a font VGAFIX.FON. It is 6KB. Is this the one
| you are asking about?
| Eileen

| news:o KA$zMxNFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Basically - Yes ! (5376 bytes)

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:23:52 AM

Oh, my. Did I cause this problem?
Should I move VGAFIX.FOU back into my Windows Font Folder?
Thanks, Eileen

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | Just got home from having dinner out.
> |
> | I didn't find VGAFIXED.FON file in my Windows Font. However...
> | Some months ago, I moved a lot of fonts out that I don't use and put
them in
> | a folder that I call 'extra fonts'.
> |
> | In one of the files there is a font VGAFIX.FON. It is 6KB. Is this the
one
> | you are asking about?
> | Eileen
> |
> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> | news:o KA$zMxNFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>

> Basically - Yes ! (5376 bytes)
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:23:52 AM

Sorry, it's getting late.
I meant VGAFIX.FON
Eileen

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | Just got home from having dinner out.
> |
> | I didn't find VGAFIXED.FON file in my Windows Font. However...
> | Some months ago, I moved a lot of fonts out that I don't use and put
them in
> | a folder that I call 'extra fonts'.
> |
> | In one of the files there is a font VGAFIX.FON. It is 6KB. Is this the
one
> | you are asking about?
> | Eileen
> |
> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> | news:o KA$zMxNFHA.1176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>

> Basically - Yes ! (5376 bytes)
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:35:03 PM

David,
Sorry to be such trouble but.... I unzipped and tried to install the four
fonts and got a message that Fixedsystem and Terminal were already installed
and I must uninstall them before installed updated.

Checked my font files and I have two Fixedsys:
Fixedsys (VGAFIX.FON) &
Fixedsys for the IBM 8514 (8514Fix.Fon)
and
Three Terminal:
Terminal (VGA850_0.Fon)
Terminal (VGAOEM.Fon) &
Terminal Font for the IBM 8514 (8514OEM.Fon)

Which ones do I uninstall?

Thanks for being so helpful,
Eileen
> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | Sorry, it's getting late.
> | I meant VGAFIX.FON
> | Eileen
>

> In the ZIP file attached are 4 VGA screen font files.
> Use the fonts in the attached ZIP file and install of them.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 2:45:28 PM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| David,
| Sorry to be such trouble but.... I unzipped and tried to install the four
| fonts and got a message that Fixedsystem and Terminal were already installed
| and I must uninstall them before installed updated.
|
| Checked my font files and I have two Fixedsys:
| Fixedsys (VGAFIX.FON) &
| Fixedsys for the IBM 8514 (8514Fix.Fon)
| and
| Three Terminal:
| Terminal (VGA850_0.Fon)
| Terminal (VGAOEM.Fon) &
| Terminal Font for the IBM 8514 (8514OEM.Fon)
|
| Which ones do I uninstall?
|
| Thanks for being so helpful,
| Eileen

Hi Eileen:

VGAFIX.FON

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 3:07:25 PM

David,
Deleted Fixedsys (VGAFIX.FON) and installed the one you sent.
Still seeing the symbol font in my HP PhotoSmart Scanner.
Guess I am just going to put up with the problem unless you can think of
something else.
Thanks, Eileen

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | David,
> | Sorry to be such trouble but.... I unzipped and tried to install the
four
> | fonts and got a message that Fixedsystem and Terminal were already
installed
> | and I must uninstall them before installed updated.
> |
> | Checked my font files and I have two Fixedsys:
> | Fixedsys (VGAFIX.FON) &
> | Fixedsys for the IBM 8514 (8514Fix.Fon)
> | and
> | Three Terminal:
> | Terminal (VGA850_0.Fon)
> | Terminal (VGAOEM.Fon) &
> | Terminal Font for the IBM 8514 (8514OEM.Fon)
> |
> | Which ones do I uninstall?
> |
> | Thanks for being so helpful,
> | Eileen
> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>
> Hi Eileen:
>
> VGAFIX.FON
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:13:25 PM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| David,
| Deleted Fixedsys (VGAFIX.FON) and installed the one you sent.
| Still seeing the symbol font in my HP PhotoSmart Scanner.
| Guess I am just going to put up with the problem unless you can think of
| something else.
| Thanks, Eileen
| | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

* * _I haven't given up._ * *

At least if you open NOTEPAD.EXE you can change the font in the pull-down menu.

Please do so !

But before you actually change the font, please take a moment and note the font presently
being used.

Please reply back with the NAME of the font (and the disk file name) that NOTEPAD was using
before you change it.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:13:26 PM

David,
In notepad the font was 'Symbol Regular'.
I changed it to Times Roman, closed it, and when I reopened it, it was Times
Roman. Does that mean it will stay? I also tried my scanner again, but it
still is using Symbol.

Thanks, Eileen

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | David,
> | Deleted Fixedsys (VGAFIX.FON) and installed the one you sent.
> | Still seeing the symbol font in my HP PhotoSmart Scanner.
> | Guess I am just going to put up with the problem unless you can think of
> | something else.
> | Thanks, Eileen
> | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>
> * * _I haven't given up._ * *
>
> At least if you open NOTEPAD.EXE you can change the font in the pull-down
menu.

> Please do so !
>
> But before you actually change the font, please take a moment and note the
font presently
> being used.
>
> Please reply back with the NAME of the font (and the disk file name) that
NOTEPAD was using
> before you change it.
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:13:27 PM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:11:39 GMT,"Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> penned
this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> David,
> In notepad the font was 'Symbol Regular'.
> I changed it to Times Roman, closed it, and when I reopened it, it was
> Times Roman. Does that mean it will stay? I also tried my scanner
> again, but it still is using Symbol.
>
> Thanks, Eileen

>> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>>
>> | David,
>> | Deleted Fixedsys (VGAFIX.FON) and installed the one you sent.
>> | Still seeing the symbol font in my HP PhotoSmart Scanner.
>> | Guess I am just going to put up with the problem unless you can
>> | think of something else.
>> | Thanks, Eileen
>>
>> * * _I haven't given up._ * *
>>
>> At least if you open NOTEPAD.EXE you can change the font in the
>> pull-down
> menu.
>>
>> Please do so !
>>
>> But before you actually change the font, please take a moment and
>> note the
> font presently
>> being used.
>>
>> Please reply back with the NAME of the font (and the disk file name)
>> that
> NOTEPAD was using
>> before you change it.
>>

>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Pardon the butt-in, but has the system font been corrupted? It should be :
8514SYS.FON 9.39 KB (9,616 bytes) Modified Thursday, June 08, 2000, 5:00:00
PM. If anything else looks odd extract a new copy with MSCONFIG and see if
that helps. Otherwise kindly tell me to butt out.

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."

Mike
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 5:12:10 PM

Mike,
In Font Folder I see:
8514SYS.FON 10K 06-08-2000 5:00pm
Regards, Eileen

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:11:18 PM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| David,
| In notepad the font was 'Symbol Regular'.
| I changed it to Times Roman, closed it, and when I reopened it, it was Times
| Roman. Does that mean it will stay? I also tried my scanner again, but it
| still is using Symbol.
|
| Thanks, Eileen

Eileen:

Thank you for 'Symbol Regular' however what is the disk file name ?

I looked on my PC and could not find 'Symbol Regular'.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:11:19 PM

Symbole.fon

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | David,
> | In notepad the font was 'Symbol Regular'.
> | I changed it to Times Roman, closed it, and when I reopened it, it was
Times
> | Roman. Does that mean it will stay? I also tried my scanner again, but
it
> | still is using Symbol.
> |
> | Thanks, Eileen
> |

> Eileen:
>
> Thank you for 'Symbol Regular' however what is the disk file name ?
>
> I looked on my PC and could not find 'Symbol Regular'.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:19:53 PM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| David,
| In notepad the font was 'Symbol Regular'.
| I changed it to Times Roman, closed it, and when I reopened it, it was Times
| Roman. Does that mean it will stay? I also tried my scanner again, but it
| still is using Symbol.
|
| Thanks, Eileen

Do a search of the complete Registry on the text; Symbol Regular

Do NOT take any action but takle note of the full path to the key in the Registry and the
name of the key and please with that information.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:19:54 PM

David,
I don't know how to do that.
Eileen

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | David,
> | In notepad the font was 'Symbol Regular'.
> | I changed it to Times Roman, closed it, and when I reopened it, it was
Times
> | Roman. Does that mean it will stay? I also tried my scanner again, but
it
> | still is using Symbol.
> |
> | Thanks, Eileen
>
> Do a search of the complete Registry on the text; Symbol Regular
>
> Do NOT take any action but takle note of the full path to the key in the
Registry and the
> name of the key and please with that information.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 10:59:35 PM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| David,
| I don't know how to do that.
| Eileen
| | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message

I don't know if I can explain it properly. :-(

But that is the next step.

Search for occurrences of; "Symbol Regular" and "Symbole.fon"
and note their locations. Then compare their locations to to the settings of the Registry
of a known good WinME PC. That may provide information.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 11:11:29 PM

Sorry, you lost me. Do I go Start, Run then something?
Eileen

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | David,
> | I don't know how to do that.
> | Eileen
> | | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>
> I don't know if I can explain it properly. :-(
>
> But that is the next step.
>
> Search for occurrences of; "Symbol Regular" and "Symbole.fon"
> and note their locations. Then compare their locations to to the settings
of the Registry
> of a known good WinME PC. That may provide information.
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:20:28 AM

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:12:10 GMT,"Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> penned this
whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> Mike,
> In Font Folder I see:
> 8514SYS.FON 10K 06-08-2000 5:00pm
> Regards, Eileen

Looks right to me.

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

Mike
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:28:30 AM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| Sorry, you lost me. Do I go Start, Run then something?
| Eileen

Start --> run
type; Regedit

Put the cursor at the most Root Level (my computer)
From the Pull-Down men; Edit --> find
type; Symbol Regular

Then you would have to note all the locations where it was found.

{ sorry, the following example is from a Win2K platform, the platform I use to post/read
UseNet News Groups. This example is to show what is needed, it is NOT an example of what
exactly or nearly what YOU will find }

Example:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
^^^ The above represents the full path to a Registry key.

Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)
^^^ The above represents the actual Registry key where the txt was found.

Then you would repeat the process...

Put the cursor at the most Root Level (my computer)
From the Pull-Down men; Edit --> find
type; SYMBOLE.FON

It is possible to copy and paste the text out of the Registry.

Do NOT make changes in the Registry. Mistakes in the Registry can be fatal to the OS !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:35:40 AM

David,
Typing 'Symbol Regular' found nothing.
Typing 'SYMBOLE.FON" got Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGARES). "SYMBOLE.FON"
That was all the info.
Eileen

news:o yVKzx%23NFHA.940@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | Sorry, you lost me. Do I go Start, Run then something?
> | Eileen
>
> Start --> run
> type; Regedit
>
> Put the cursor at the most Root Level (my computer)
> From the Pull-Down men; Edit --> find
> type; Symbol Regular
>
> Then you would have to note all the locations where it was found.
>
> { sorry, the following example is from a Win2K platform, the platform I
use to post/read
> UseNet News Groups. This example is to show what is needed, it is NOT an
example of what
> exactly or nearly what YOU will find }
>
> Example:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
> Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
> ^^^ The above represents the full path to a Registry key.
>
> Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGA res)
> ^^^ The above represents the actual Registry key where the txt was found.
>
> Then you would repeat the process...
>
> Put the cursor at the most Root Level (my computer)
> From the Pull-Down men; Edit --> find
> type; SYMBOLE.FON
>
> It is possible to copy and paste the text out of the Registry.
>
> Do NOT make changes in the Registry. Mistakes in the Registry can be
fatal to the OS !

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:08:43 PM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| David,
| Typing 'Symbol Regular' found nothing.
| Typing 'SYMBOLE.FON" got Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGARES). "SYMBOLE.FON"
| That was all the info.
| Eileen

That doesn't tell me where, in what hive, was that Registry key found.

As in my example --
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

The hive is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (Aka, HKLM )

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:10:25 PM

From: "BJ Honeycut" <Friday@drag.net.invalid>

| On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:12:10 GMT,"Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> penned this
| whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general
|
>> Mike,
>> In Font Folder I see:
>> 8514SYS.FON 10K 06-08-2000 5:00pm
>> Regards, Eileen
>>
| Looks right to me.
|
| --
| "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
| it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
| Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.
|
| Mike

Mike:

So that is what happened to you -- You went to Charter.

I hope is all with well with and your family.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:30:29 PM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:10:25 GMT,"David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> penned this whopper in
microsoft.public.windowsme.general

> From: "BJ Honeycut" <Friday@drag.net.invalid>
>
>| On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 19:12:10 GMT,"Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>| penned this whopper in microsoft.public.windowsme.general
>|
>>> Mike,
>>> In Font Folder I see:
>>> 8514SYS.FON 10K 06-08-2000 5:00pm
>>> Regards, Eileen
>>>
>| Looks right to me.
>|
>| --
>| "Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
>| it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
>| Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.
>|
>| Mike
>
> Mike:
>
> So that is what happened to you -- You went to Charter.
>
> I hope is all with well with and your family.

Thanks Dave, only a trial, think I'll be back to vol soon. Just testing the
water.

--
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden;
it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace (65 - 8 BC); Roman poet.

Mike
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 2:29:51 PM

When I went to Registry Editor and typed in Symbol Regular, nothing came up
on the right side of the window, it was blank. The titles for that window
are "Name" and "Data"... So below is what I got for Symbole.Fon.
Eileen

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | David,
> | Typing 'Symbol Regular' found nothing.
> | Typing 'SYMBOLE.FON" got Symbol 8,10,12,14,18,24 (VGARES). "SYMBOLE.FON"
> | That was all the info.
> | Eileen
>
> That doesn't tell me where, in what hive, was that Registry key found.
>
> As in my example --
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts
>
> The hive is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (Aka, HKLM )
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:32:52 PM

From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

| When I went to Registry Editor and typed in Symbol Regular, nothing came up
| on the right side of the window, it was blank. The titles for that window
| are "Name" and "Data"... So below is what I got for Symbole.Fon.
| Eileen

It is incomplete information and it doesn't help.

No offense, but it comes from a lack of understanding the Registry.

And that is why I was relunctant and stated -- "I don't know if I can explain it properly.
"

I need the PATH to the Registry key.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

begin 666 27.gif
M1TE&.#EA$0`1`/<``````"1 @3:T]#G'_SO._SS%_SVSZC.IYC[4_T;-_P$9
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MORAPMRAAJBA0G/___P``````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M`````````````````````"'Y! $``#8`+ `````1`!$`AP```"1 @3:T]#G'
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MVBR%SRAXPRAMMRAAJRA'DBR"P"E[ORAPMRAAJBA0G/___P``````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
M``````````````````````````````````````````````````BV`&T('$BP
MH$&!`1(F/#@PH8 !! H86&@PP $$"11H7,"@08""`1P\@* @@DD%$B90^-BP
M@H62)D]>P,#21H ,&DH"`!!A9P0%&SBP#-#!@TZ>/A5\`#$TA(@1,*.2*&%B
MZ D4*51H7*&110L7+X;"B"%C!HT:-F[@R*%C!X^:`7KX^*&Q+I @0FK:'$)$
K01$C1Y D4:!DB5Z;3)HX>0(EBA0E4PXC#$"EBI4K6"@R5*B9H>>!`0$`.P``
`
end
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 6:31:58 PM

David,
I tried again and got nothing for Symbol Regular.
Typed 'Symbole.fon' and nothing.
But below that was 'Symbols GST and there was
'c:\windows\system\snippets\fonts\gstsymrm.ttf

Should we give up?
Thanks, Eileen

> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>
> | When I went to Registry Editor and typed in Symbol Regular, nothing came
up
> | on the right side of the window, it was blank. The titles for that
window
> | are "Name" and "Data"... So below is what I got for Symbole.Fon.
> | Eileen
>
> It is incomplete information and it doesn't help.
>
> No offense, but it comes from a lack of understanding the Registry.
>
> And that is why I was relunctant and stated -- "I don't know if I can
explain it properly.
> "
>
> I need the PATH to the Registry key.
>

> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:10:12 AM

Eileen, not exactly sure where David is taking you, but just wondered do you
have symbol.ttf mentioned in the registry? Or even in the fonts folder?

Mart

"Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> David,
> I tried again and got nothing for Symbol Regular.
> Typed 'Symbole.fon' and nothing.
> But below that was 'Symbols GST and there was
> 'c:\windows\system\snippets\fonts\gstsymrm.ttf
>
> Should we give up?
> Thanks, Eileen

>> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>
>>
>> | When I went to Registry Editor and typed in Symbol Regular, nothing
>> came
> up
>> | on the right side of the window, it was blank. The titles for that
> window
>> | are "Name" and "Data"... So below is what I got for Symbole.Fon.
>> | Eileen
>>
>> It is incomplete information and it doesn't help.
>>
>> No offense, but it comes from a lack of understanding the Registry.
>>
>> And that is why I was relunctant and stated -- "I don't know if I can
> explain it properly.
>> "
>>
>> I need the PATH to the Registry key.
>>

>> --
>> Dave
>> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:10:13 AM

Mart,

I'm not sure if I do the registry editor right... but when I "find"
symbol.ttf, under name is Symbol {truetype} and under data is Symbol.ttf.

Symbol.ttf is in my fonts folder.
Eileen

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Eileen, not exactly sure where David is taking you, but just wondered do
you
> have symbol.ttf mentioned in the registry? Or even in the fonts folder?
>
> Mart
>

> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > David,
> > I tried again and got nothing for Symbol Regular.
> > Typed 'Symbole.fon' and nothing.
> > But below that was 'Symbols GST and there was
> > 'c:\windows\system\snippets\fonts\gstsymrm.ttf
> >
> > Should we give up?
> > Thanks, Eileen
> >
> > "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
> >> From: "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid>

> >> came
> > up
> > window
> >>
> >> It is incomplete information and it doesn't help.
> >>
> >> No offense, but it comes from a lack of understanding the Registry.
> >>
> >> And that is why I was relunctant and stated -- "I don't know if I can
> > explain it properly.
> >> "
> >>
> >> I need the PATH to the Registry key.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Dave
> >> http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> >> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:10:13 AM

Decided to check the properties on some of my fonts. Most of them are
showing "Opens with ACDSee for Windows 95/98/200". I am using Win ME.
Could this be causing a problem?

From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>

| Eileen, not exactly sure where David is taking you, but just wondered do you
| have symbol.ttf mentioned in the registry? Or even in the fonts folder?
|
| Mart

Mart:

When she loaded NOTEPAD the fonts were Greek. The same condition as when she loaded
Ad-aware. Since the NOTEPAD font is set and and identified in the Registry, I was trying to
go in the Reverse direction. Before Eileen changed the font in NOTEPAD and had her identfy
what its current font was. The idea is if a search of the Registry yield's keys that load
the same font then those keys could be altered to to a more appropriate screen font. Then,
hopefully, Ad-aware too will inherit the change.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:36:50 AM

Thanks Dave, I guessed maybe that was your thinking, but I'd forgotten that
Eileen's 'original' font was 'Symbol Regular' in Notepad. But I'm not too
sure if it is symbole.fon that is responsible, but rather the symbol.ttf
font - I just don't know.

Unfortunately I don't have a working version of WinMe running here (I'm
running XP) so I've been trying to follow your logic in XP to make
comparisons - but I don't think that they (the registries) exactly equate
<g>

However, I was more worried when Eileen dropped her "Some months ago, I
moved a lot of fonts out that I don't use and put them in a folder that I
call 'extra fonts" bomblet. I just wonder if moving them back *might* help,
although with the subsequent passage of time and changes over that period,
probably not going to achieve much.

If the registry key can't be found, other than a clean install (ouch!!) then
the only 'work around' that I can think of would be to temporarily
substitute the symbol.ttf font with "Tahoma" or "Verdana" (by renaming) to
see if that 'improves' things - or live with it. Neither, totally
satisfactory solutions. Rapidly running out of further suggestions.

BTW - Eileen, I doubt that "Opens with ACDSee for Windows 95/98/200" has
anything to do with it. But they should be set to open with Windows Font
Viewer (according to XP) in Windows Explorer. Mmm.. on reflection, why has
the 'association' changed??

Mart

> From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
>
> | Eileen, not exactly sure where David is taking you, but just wondered do
> you
> | have symbol.ttf mentioned in the registry? Or even in the fonts folder?
> |
> | Mart
>

> Mart:
>
> When she loaded NOTEPAD the fonts were Greek. The same condition as when
> she loaded
> Ad-aware. Since the NOTEPAD font is set and and identified in the
> Registry, I was trying to
> go in the Reverse direction. Before Eileen changed the font in NOTEPAD
> and had her identfy
> what its current font was. The idea is if a search of the Registry
> yield's keys that load
> the same font then those keys could be altered to to a more appropriate
> screen font. Then,
> hopefully, Ad-aware too will inherit the change.
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:36:51 AM

I think the association change happen when HP had me download an update. I
couldn't seem to make them understand that I am using ME. I just happened
to notice today that the icon in front of most of the fonts had changed.

Wish I was more PC knowledgeable. Would it hurt anything if I would change
it to use Font Viewer?

I moved the Symbol font back into the Font Folder and it didn't make a
difference. But I didn't restart my PC... do I have to?

> Thanks Dave, I guessed maybe that was your thinking, but I'd forgotten
that
> Eileen's 'original' font was 'Symbol Regular' in Notepad. But I'm not too
> sure if it is symbole.fon that is responsible, but rather the symbol.ttf
> font - I just don't know.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a working version of WinMe running here (I'm
> running XP) so I've been trying to follow your logic in XP to make
> comparisons - but I don't think that they (the registries) exactly equate
> <g>
>
> However, I was more worried when Eileen dropped her "Some months ago, I
> moved a lot of fonts out that I don't use and put them in a folder that I
> call 'extra fonts" bomblet. I just wonder if moving them back *might*
help,
> although with the subsequent passage of time and changes over that period,
> probably not going to achieve much.
>
> If the registry key can't be found, other than a clean install (ouch!!)
then
> the only 'work around' that I can think of would be to temporarily
> substitute the symbol.ttf font with "Tahoma" or "Verdana" (by renaming) to
> see if that 'improves' things - or live with it. Neither, totally
> satisfactory solutions. Rapidly running out of further suggestions.
>
> BTW - Eileen, I doubt that "Opens with ACDSee for Windows 95/98/200" has
> anything to do with it. But they should be set to open with Windows Font
> Viewer (according to XP) in Windows Explorer. Mmm.. on reflection, why has
> the 'association' changed??
>
> Mart

> > From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>
> >
> > | Eileen, not exactly sure where David is taking you, but just wondered
do
> > you
> > | have symbol.ttf mentioned in the registry? Or even in the fonts
folder?

> > | Mart
> >

> > Mart:
> >
> > When she loaded NOTEPAD the fonts were Greek. The same condition as
when
> > she loaded
> > Ad-aware. Since the NOTEPAD font is set and and identified in the
> > Registry, I was trying to
> > go in the Reverse direction. Before Eileen changed the font in NOTEPAD
> > and had her identfy
> > what its current font was. The idea is if a search of the Registry
> > yield's keys that load
> > the same font then those keys could be altered to to a more appropriate
> > screen font. Then,
> > hopefully, Ad-aware too will inherit the change.
> >
> > --
> > Dave
> > http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

April 4, 2005 5:36:52 AM

Hi Eileen......

A question here......was the upgrade from HP that program called *Photo
Impressions*??? It was after that download that things went haywire on this
computer.....

Wondering......Heather

> [...]
> > > From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>

> do
> > > you
> folder?

> > > Mart:
> > >
> > > When she loaded NOTEPAD the fonts were Greek. The same condition as
> when
> > > she loaded
> > > Ad-aware. Since the NOTEPAD font is set and and identified in the
> > > Registry, I was trying to
> > > go in the Reverse direction. Before Eileen changed the font in
NOTEPAD
> > > and had her identfy
> > > what its current font was. The idea is if a search of the Registry
> > > yield's keys that load
> > > the same font then those keys could be altered to to a more
appropriate
> > > screen font. Then,
> > > hopefully, Ad-aware too will inherit the change.

April 4, 2005 6:25:35 AM

Bed time here Eileen, but in the meantime, you may wish to see if you can
disassociate ACDSee by checking the ACDSee Tools\Options menu Miscellaneous
Tab then select the 'Set File Associations' button. See if you can uncheck
..fon and .ttf - if they are listed??

Oh! - and do a restart anyway - it won't do any harm <g>

> [...]

>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
>> > From: "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com>

> do
>> > you
> folder?

>> > Mart:
>> >
>> > When she loaded NOTEPAD the fonts were Greek. The same condition as
> when
>> > she loaded
>> > Ad-aware. Since the NOTEPAD font is set and and identified in the
>> > Registry, I was trying to
>> > go in the Reverse direction. Before Eileen changed the font in NOTEPAD
>> > and had her identfy
>> > what its current font was. The idea is if a search of the Registry
>> > yield's keys that load
>> > the same font then those keys could be altered to to a more appropriate
>> > screen font. Then,
>> > hopefully, Ad-aware too will inherit the change.

April 4, 2005 6:25:36 AM

Mart,
no .fon there but unchecked .ttf.
Now my fonts are all open with font viewer except a couple that open with
acrobat distiller.

> [...]
> > help,
> >> although with the subsequent passage of time and changes over that
> >> period,
> >> probably not going to achieve much.
> >>
> >> If the registry key can't be found, other than a clean install (ouch!!)
> > then
> >> the only 'work around' that I can think of would be to temporarily
> >> substitute the symbol.ttf font with "Tahoma" or "Verdana" (by renaming)
> >> see if that 'improves' things - or live with it. Neither, totally
> >> satisfactory solutions. Rapidly running out of further suggestions.
> >>
> >> BTW - Eileen, I doubt that "Opens with ACDSee for Windows 95/98/200"
has
> >> anything to do with it. But they should be set to open with Windows
Font
> >> Viewer (according to XP) in Windows Explorer. Mmm.. on reflection, why

April 4, 2005 1:42:11 PM

Heather,
No, it is Image Zone Express and I had the problem before but didn't have
the time to try to correct it.
Eileen

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > although with the subsequent passage of time and changes over that
> period,
> > > probably not going to achieve much.
> > >
> > > If the registry key can't be found, other than a clean install
(ouch!!)
> > then
> > > the only 'work around' that I can think of would be to temporarily
> > > substitute the symbol.ttf font with "Tahoma" or "Verdana" (by
renaming)
> > > see if that 'improves' things - or live with it. Neither, totally
> > > satisfactory solutions. Rapidly running out of further suggestions.
> > >
> > > BTW - Eileen, I doubt that "Opens with ACDSee for Windows 95/98/200"
has
> > > anything to do with it. But they should be set to open with Windows
Font
> > > Viewer (according to XP) in Windows Explorer. Mmm.. on reflection, why

April 4, 2005 3:04:01 PM

Mmm... Eileen, can you disassociate the exceptions (.fon's?) from Acrobat
Distiller - if the facility exists?

In Control Panel \ Fonts, are you able to Open any/all fonts with Font
Viewer?

Just wondering if we're starting to move tangentially now <g>

As an experiment (don't go there if you feel unsure) copy/move the
symbol.ttf font to a safe place (floppy) - so that you can always get it
back again. Then copy tahoma.ttf in the font folder and rename the copy as
symbol.ttf.

Any change in the Ad-Aware display? - If not, then undo the above and we'll
have to review.

Just off out to fetch another bale of straw to clutch at.

> Mart,
> no .fon there but unchecked .ttf.
> Now my fonts are all open with font viewer except a couple that open with
> acrobat distiller.
> Eileen
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Bed time here Eileen, but in the meantime, you may wish to see if you can
>> disassociate ACDSee by checking the ACDSee Tools\Options menu
> Miscellaneous
>> Tab then select the 'Set File Associations' button. See if you can
>> uncheck
>> .fon and .ttf - if they are listed??
>>
>> Oh! - and do a restart anyway - it won't do any harm <g>
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> >I think the association change happen when HP had me download an update.
>> > couldn't seem to make them understand that I am using ME. I just
> happened
>> > to notice today that the icon in front of most of the fonts had
>> > changed.
>> >
>> > Wish I was more PC knowledgeable. Would it hurt anything if I would
>> > change
>> > it to use Font Viewer?
>> >
>> > I moved the Symbol font back into the Font Folder and it didn't make a
>> > difference. But I didn't restart my PC... do I have to?
>> >
>> > Eileen
>> >
>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > that
> too
> symbol.ttf

> equate

>> > help,

>> > then

> has
> Font

> wondered
>> > do
>> > folder?

>> > when
> NOTEPAD
> appropriate

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:04:02 PM

Mart,
I don't see anywhere to disassociate.

Checked is 'allow postscript file to override job options'. What does this
mean?

In another window: Symbol was designated to "Never Embed", whatever that
means.

I am able to open all the fonts from Fonts Viewer.

I haven't tried the copy yet.

news:o W2eh2POFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Mmm... Eileen, can you disassociate the exceptions (.fon's?) from Acrobat
> Distiller - if the facility exists?
>
> In Control Panel \ Fonts, are you able to Open any/all fonts with Font
> Viewer?
>
> Just wondering if we're starting to move tangentially now <g>
>
> As an experiment (don't go there if you feel unsure) copy/move the
> symbol.ttf font to a safe place (floppy) - so that you can always get it
> back again. Then copy tahoma.ttf in the font folder and rename the copy as
> symbol.ttf.
>
> Any change in the Ad-Aware display? - If not, then undo the above and
we'll
> have to review.
>
> Just off out to fetch another bale of straw to clutch at.
>
> Mart
>

> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > Mart,
> > no .fon there but unchecked .ttf.
> > Now my fonts are all open with font viewer except a couple that open
with
> > acrobat distiller.
> > Eileen
> >
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Bed time here Eileen, but in the meantime, you may wish to see if you
can
> >> disassociate ACDSee by checking the ACDSee Tools\Options menu
> > Miscellaneous
> >> Tab then select the 'Set File Associations' button. See if you can
> >> uncheck
> >> .fon and .ttf - if they are listed??
> >>
> >> Oh! - and do a restart anyway - it won't do any harm <g>
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > happened

> > too
> > symbol.ttf

> > equate

> > has
> > Font

> > wondered

> > NOTEPAD
Registry
> > appropriate

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:06:47 PM

Good point Heather - If so, I wonder if it coincided with Eileen's problems
too, although I suspect her bomblet was more likely to have been the cause
<g>

Mart

> [...]
>> help,
>> > although with the subsequent passage of time and changes over that
> period,
>> > probably not going to achieve much.
>> >
>> > If the registry key can't be found, other than a clean install (ouch!!)
>> then
>> > the only 'work around' that I can think of would be to temporarily
>> > substitute the symbol.ttf font with "Tahoma" or "Verdana" (by renaming)
>> > see if that 'improves' things - or live with it. Neither, totally
>> > satisfactory solutions. Rapidly running out of further suggestions.
>> >
>> > BTW - Eileen, I doubt that "Opens with ACDSee for Windows 95/98/200"
>> > has
>> > anything to do with it. But they should be set to open with Windows
>> > Font
>> > Viewer (according to XP) in Windows Explorer. Mmm.. on reflection, why

April 4, 2005 5:59:32 PM

Mart......now that I realize it is the same upgrade that I downloaded (Image
Zone Express.......there is definitely food for thought here. It has
totally gutted Firefox and OE. I have messed about and rebuilt/reinstalled
both of them, but I am finding strange folders in strange places.

Do you want me to send you the email from HP so that you can have a look at
it? Or just the link.......I will put that below. And I definitely d/l'd
the one for ME....or so I thought. Lord only knows what they gave me to
download!!

If it proves to be this program and subsequent upgrade, then it is rather
deadly!! I cropped and fixed one picture and sent it to my daughter and she
never received it.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/united-states/ize/relink.cgi?...

See what you think.......and perhaps I will poke around their site in hopes
of finding complaints.

Cheers....Heather

> Good point Heather - If so, I wonder if it coincided with Eileen's
problems
> too, although I suspect her bomblet was more likely to have been the cause
> <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hi Eileen......
> >
> > A question here......was the upgrade from HP that program called *Photo
> > Impressions*??? It was after that download that things went haywire on
> > this
> > computer.....
> >
> > Wondering......Heather
> >
> > "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> >> I think the association change happen when HP had me download an
update.
> >> couldn't seem to make them understand that I am using ME. I just
> >> happened
> >> to notice today that the icon in front of most of the fonts had
changed.

> >> Wish I was more PC knowledgeable. Would it hurt anything if I would
> > change
> >> it to use Font Viewer?
> >>
> >> I moved the Symbol font back into the Font Folder and it didn't make a
> >> difference. But I didn't restart my PC... do I have to?
> >>
> >> Eileen
> >>
> >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> that
> > too

> > equate

> >> help,
> > period,

> >> then

> > has

> > wondered
> >> do
> >> folder?

> >> when
> > NOTEPAD
> > appropriate

April 4, 2005 6:08:15 PM

I also forgot to mention I lost my Quick Launch Toolbar......I had a whole
mess of problems.

I went to the HP site and here is the page that states there are 109!! Faqs
with regard to Image Zone Impression.......fatal errors and so on.....

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/ccsearch/search-pr...

YIKES.....that is way too big.....here it is......:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E21D150DA

Cheers....Heather

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Good point Heather - If so, I wonder if it coincided with Eileen's
problems
> too, although I suspect her bomblet was more likely to have been the cause
> <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hi Eileen......
> >
> > A question here......was the upgrade from HP that program called *Photo
> > Impressions*??? It was after that download that things went haywire on
> > this
> > computer.....
> >
> > Wondering......Heather
> >
> > "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> >> I think the association change happen when HP had me download an
update.
> >> couldn't seem to make them understand that I am using ME. I just
> >> happened
> >> to notice today that the icon in front of most of the fonts had
changed.

> >> Wish I was more PC knowledgeable. Would it hurt anything if I would
> > change
> >> it to use Font Viewer?
> >>
> >> I moved the Symbol font back into the Font Folder and it didn't make a
> >> difference. But I didn't restart my PC... do I have to?
> >>
> >> Eileen
> >>
> >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> that
> > too

> > equate

> >> help,
> > period,

> >> then

> > has

> > wondered
> >> do
> >> folder?

> >> when
> > NOTEPAD
> > appropriate

April 4, 2005 7:34:31 PM

Yo Mart.....

Been trying to sort the OE problem out with Majik.....and he had this to say
about the Photo program......

/quote......
It could have messed with the email settings, especially if it's one of
those "email friends and family" type programs. I generally advise against
installing those unless they have no other alternatives. Dell has/had one
that was a demo and when it expired, it expired......left a ton of junk and
file associations to rebuild. I think they sorted that one out though.
/unquote.......

Would the file associations he mentions have anything to do with Eileen's
problems?? And it was one of those *email friends and family* programs.

Just gathering bits and pieces. And off to the store now.......but hope
that there is a nugget or two in this for you.....

You can write me at figgyd_ca at yahoo dot ca and I will send you the HP
letter if you wish.....or any other info if you deem it to be applicable.
It may not help me out, but perhaps might help others if they download this
thing.

Cheers....Heather
"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Good point Heather - If so, I wonder if it coincided with Eileen's
problems
> too, although I suspect her bomblet was more likely to have been the cause
> <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> > Hi Eileen......
> >
> > A question here......was the upgrade from HP that program called *Photo
> > Impressions*??? It was after that download that things went haywire on
> > this
> > computer.....
> >
> > Wondering......Heather
> >
> > "Eileen" <vann@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> >> I think the association change happen when HP had me download an
update.
> >> couldn't seem to make them understand that I am using ME. I just
> >> happened
> >> to notice today that the icon in front of most of the fonts had
changed.

> >> Wish I was more PC knowledgeable. Would it hurt anything if I would
> > change
> >> it to use Font Viewer?
> >>
> >> I moved the Symbol font back into the Font Folder and it didn't make a
> >> difference. But I didn't restart my PC... do I have to?
> >>
> >> Eileen
> >>
> >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> that
> > too

> > equate

> >> help,
> > period,

> >> then

> > has

> > wondered
> >> do
> >> folder?

> >> when
> > NOTEPAD
> > appropriate

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:30:45 AM

This program definitely has some major problems - I just loaded it into an
ME VPC, and the program opens with not a word visible - and freezes. It then
updates itself.....
The updater then updates itself..... ( and that's a 4.2MB download!! - the
dang program in the first place was only 5.5MB!!) - and then says that there
are no updates available for anything on the system.
However, I can't see any effects (yet) outside the program itself.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
news:o LhHFdUOFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I am truly baffled......but I had other problems on here before the
> download.....I have a lot of XP folders from a failed upgrade. So perhaps
> was more vulnerable to the bad stuff!!
>
> Odd that you and I both downloaded that blasted program. I have removed
> it,
> but the Zone Image Express is right there in the middle of where my OE
> emails were.....so grasping at straws here. I thought perhaps it just
> might
> provide a clue to Mart.
>
> Good luck....I am still sorting the mess out on here. Other than that
> download, nothing else new was on here.
>
> Cheers....Heather

April 5, 2005 3:30:46 AM

YAHOO!! Got my Quick Launch Tool Bar back......making just a tad of
progress here. When you get your head together, I will run some stuff by
you.

I have been studying that added hidden file intensely and I moved the Quick
Launch Folder from it to the proper original *Application Data* one.....and
voila....with some fiddlin', got it back.....so I now have a half-assed idea
of what I have to do with this particular extra folder and subfolders....but
not about to get too aggressive until I back up some of my latest stuff.

But trying that little thing and having it work made me realize I sort of
understand what I have to do....if that makes any sense. (G) If the two
folders were identical, that would be easy....but they aren't. So I am
picking my way thru it. Most of it is from the failed install. But some of
the subfolders are current. Comprendez??

Cheers.....a slightly relieved Figgs

> This program definitely has some major problems - I just loaded it into an
> ME VPC, and the program opens with not a word visible - and freezes. It
then
> updates itself.....
> The updater then updates itself..... ( and that's a 4.2MB download!! - the
> dang program in the first place was only 5.5MB!!) - and then says that
there
> are no updates available for anything on the system.
> However, I can't see any effects (yet) outside the program itself.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o LhHFdUOFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >I am truly baffled......but I had other problems on here before the
> > download.....I have a lot of XP folders from a failed upgrade. So
perhaps
> > was more vulnerable to the bad stuff!!
> >
> > Odd that you and I both downloaded that blasted program. I have removed
> > it,
> > but the Zone Image Express is right there in the middle of where my OE
> > emails were.....so grasping at straws here. I thought perhaps it just
> > might
> > provide a clue to Mart.
> >
> > Good luck....I am still sorting the mess out on here. Other than that
> > download, nothing else new was on here.
> >
> > Cheers....Heather

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:52:23 AM

Sorry, you guys - been AWOL and just got back. Due to the lateness here (bed
time), I'll try to re-visit in the morning. Although likely to be AWOL
again, later tomorrow.

(But I still suspect Eileen's bomblet <g>)

BTW - Eileen, if all your other Windows look like the .jpg you've attached
(and from what I remember of your original Ad-Aware screen shot), then your
fonts are a mess. Even the Title bar looks wrong. In fact, none of the fonts
look right. What do you think - Heather and Noel?

Be interesting to see how Noel fares with the HP Zone Express - but still
not (yet) convinced that it's the culprit.

Mart

> This program definitely has some major problems - I just loaded it into an
> ME VPC, and the program opens with not a word visible - and freezes. It
> then updates itself.....
> The updater then updates itself..... ( and that's a 4.2MB download!! - the
> dang program in the first place was only 5.5MB!!) - and then says that
> there are no updates available for anything on the system.
> However, I can't see any effects (yet) outside the program itself.
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o LhHFdUOFHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>I am truly baffled......but I had other problems on here before the
>> download.....I have a lot of XP folders from a failed upgrade. So
>> perhaps I
>> was more vulnerable to the bad stuff!!
>>
>> Odd that you and I both downloaded that blasted program. I have removed
>> it,
>> but the Zone Image Express is right there in the middle of where my OE
>> emails were.....so grasping at straws here. I thought perhaps it just
>> might
>> provide a clue to Mart.
>>
>> Good luck....I am still sorting the mess out on here. Other than that
>> download, nothing else new was on here.
>>
>> Cheers....Heather

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:52:24 AM

Since Mart went to bed could someone comment on my earlier post?

news:o aiR8mXOFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Sorry, you guys - been AWOL and just got back. Due to the lateness here
(bed
> time), I'll try to re-visit in the morning. Although likely to be AWOL
> again, later tomorrow.
>
> (But I still suspect Eileen's bomblet <g>)
>
> BTW - Eileen, if all your other Windows look like the .jpg you've attached
> (and from what I remember of your original Ad-Aware screen shot), then
your
> fonts are a mess. Even the Title bar looks wrong. In fact, none of the
fonts
> look right. What do you think - Heather and Noel?
>
> Be interesting to see how Noel fares with the HP Zone Express - but still
> not (yet) convinced that it's the culprit.
>
> Mart
>

> "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > This program definitely has some major problems - I just loaded it into
an
> > ME VPC, and the program opens with not a word visible - and freezes. It
> > then updates itself.....
> > The updater then updates itself..... ( and that's a 4.2MB download!! -
the
> > dang program in the first place was only 5.5MB!!) - and then says that
> > there are no updates available for anything on the system.
> > However, I can't see any effects (yet) outside the program itself.
> >

> > --
> > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
> >
> > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm