MCE / Home Networking / PC installs as a business? Is it t..

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Networking
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2005 2:11:05 PM

Hi,

I am curious as to what people's thoughts are on the future of the MCE
(Microsoft Media Center) and whether it will become a viable business in
itself, along with PC installs, Home Networking, the 'Digital Home' in the
years ahead?

Where do people see all this going and, equally importantly, how soon?

How will MCE work/integrate with, or perhaps compete, with technologies such
as those in Corporate Communications such as Presentation & Conferencing,
Home Security, Home Cinema & Audio high-end solutions? Is this a new
business model that is currently in its infancy but about to explode and
expand rapidly in a big way?

Or is it an unstable, untested technology that is flaky, only for the
'enthusiast' and unable to complete with proven but much more expensive
technologies - i.e. kit from the likes of Sony, Kenwood and others in the
Home Cinema arena?

What do people think of MCE with regards to Home Technology Integration as a
business model pushed by the likes of Intel, MS, Cisco and others? Is this
an opportunity to set up a new business... perhaps not one to make you a
millionaire but maybe one to bring in a reasonable income?

I would be interested in thoughts and comments on this,

John.

More about : mce home networking installs business

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2005 2:11:06 PM

"John Smith" <johnNOSPAMsmith@NOSPAMhotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:D XPCd.77$EW3.19@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...

> Hi,
>
> I am curious as to what people's thoughts are on the future of the MCE
> (Microsoft Media Center) and whether it will become a viable business in
> itself, along with PC installs, Home Networking, the 'Digital Home' in the
> years ahead?
>
> Where do people see all this going and, equally importantly, how soon?

First Word: Bob

Second Word: Very
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2005 7:38:27 PM

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "John Smith" <johnNOSPAMsmith@NOSPAMhotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:D XPCd.77$EW3.19@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am curious as to what people's thoughts are on the future of the MCE
>> (Microsoft Media Center) and whether it will become a viable business in
>> itself, along with PC installs, Home Networking, the 'Digital Home' in
>> the years ahead?
>>
>> Where do people see all this going and, equally importantly, how soon?
>>

> First Word: Bob
>
> Second Word: Very

Too deep for me.
Related resources
January 5, 2005 7:38:28 PM

> > First Word: Bob
> >
> > Second Word: Very
> >

> Too deep for me.

ya I received a headache over that one...gave up trying to get it..

I think media PCs will be the appliance for which you will be ABLE to
use as a download target for music and movies on proprietary codecs.
Paid for of course.

"John Smith" <johnNOSPAMsmith@NOSPAMhotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
message news:7KUCd.809$bY3.699@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...

> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "John Smith" <johnNOSPAMsmith@NOSPAMhotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
message
> > news:D XPCd.77$EW3.19@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am curious as to what people's thoughts are on the future of
the MCE
> >> (Microsoft Media Center) and whether it will become a viable
business in
> >> itself, along with PC installs, Home Networking, the 'Digital
Home' in
> >> the years ahead?
> >>
> >> Where do people see all this going and, equally importantly, how
soon?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2005 7:38:28 PM

>>> Where do people see all this going and, equally importantly, how soon?
>>>

>> First Word: Bob
>>
>> Second Word: Very
>>

> Too deep for me.

OK, the simplified version. The future of MCE:

http://www.telecommander.com/pics/links/application%20s...
January 5, 2005 7:38:29 PM

LOL Dave.....that would be the 'beginning' of MCE. HAL open the
front door. "I'm sorry Dave I can't do that right now".

> >> First Word: Bob
> >>
> >> Second Word: Very
> >>

> > Too deep for me.
>
> OK, the simplified version. The future of MCE:

http://www.telecommander.com/pics/links/application%20s...

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2005 7:38:29 PM

> ya I received a headache over that one...gave up trying to get it..
>
> I think media PCs will be the appliance for which you will be ABLE to
> use as a download target for music and movies on proprietary codecs.
<<<<> Paid for of course.<<<<<<<

Which is why it is doomed, just like Bob. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2005 7:38:30 PM

"JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
> LOL Dave.....that would be the 'beginning' of MCE. HAL open the
> front door. "I'm sorry Dave I can't do that right now".

No actually, I'm thinking in 10 years or maybe less, we will see a list of
all-time software disasters, and somewhere in the top five will be MCE and
BOB. That's what I meant when I said if you want to see the future of MCE,
look at Bob. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2005 11:20:33 PM

> "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
>> LOL Dave.....that would be the 'beginning' of MCE. HAL open the
>> front door. "I'm sorry Dave I can't do that right now".
>>

> No actually, I'm thinking in 10 years or maybe less, we will see a list of
> all-time software disasters, and somewhere in the top five will be MCE and
> BOB. That's what I meant when I said if you want to see the future of
> MCE, look at Bob. -Dave

The likes of Cisco, Intel, MS, Sony, Philips, etc seem to be investing big
sums into the home PC market in terms of home integration technology, media
centers, etc, etc. Some of them have set up a consortium to promote the
standardisation of home installers and hence you wonder whether the plumbers
and sparks of tomorrow will be such people... and perhaps have a very
profitable little business or not?

John.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2005 11:20:34 PM

> The likes of Cisco, Intel, MS, Sony, Philips, etc seem to be investing big
> sums into the home PC market in terms of home integration technology,
> media centers, etc, etc. Some of them have set up a consortium to promote
> the standardisation of home installers and hence you wonder whether the
> plumbers and sparks of tomorrow will be such people... and perhaps have a
> very profitable little business or not?
>

> John.

There is no need to wonder. If you want to know what will catch on, look at
what is simple. People don't want a computer to serve media. Well, the
AVERAGE consumer doesn't, anyway. It is the AVERAGE consumer who is
spending the most bucks. Money talks, MCE walks.

Home integration will become a niche market, at best. Yes, there will be
some money to be made in it. Not enough to lure the plumbers and sparks
into returning to school, though. More likely, the guys doing ADT and
similar home security installs will get paid a little higher if they can
also get certified in home integration. I doubt if home integration will
ever catch on to a point where a license will be required to do the work. I
don't see it being profitable all by itself, but rather a side-line of
something else. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 6, 2005 5:35:06 AM

Dave C.:
> OK, the simplified version. The future of MCE:
>
> http://www.telecommander.com/pics/links/application%20s...
> ft/Microsoft_Bob_1_0/Microsoft_Bob_1_0.htm

Frankly, I don't see the parallels. Just based on the screenshots, Bob
survived in spirit and became MS Money, they look the same and do much of
the same. I suspect that MCE will continue in some similiar way, perhaps
not in a way we expect. Personally I would welcome a device that could
combine the functions of the many separate devices I have (and want) now.
--
Mac Cool
!