Quick Launch disappeared.......

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
April 3, 2005 4:15:15 AM

Hi All......

Lost everything in OE tonight. Eventually found that the Application Data
Folder was now in Applog......so mucked something up somehow.

After some futzing around, got all my emails back (moved the Application
Data Folder out of Applog).....but have duplicates of Identities. I won't
bother to explain.

Asked in the OE group how on earth to get my Address Book back......300
names......aarrgghh!! It keeps telling me it has imported it successfully,
but it hasn't. Majik or Steve should be able to help. Tried 5 different
ways to import it, but it ain't working.

HOWEVER.....I managed to lost my Quick Launch thingie on the bottom left by
Start......says it can't create it now by right clicking on the taskbar. I
was moving OE over one.....but had noticed this Application Data Folder in
Applog earlier and didn't stop to think about it. It was a hidden folder
and I had a devil of a time importing......that's OK now.

Any suggestions on the Quick Launch Toolbar?? *We are not amused* at the
moment.....wry grin.

Heather
April 3, 2005 4:33:40 AM

Damn.......Firefox was wiped clean too......this is getting ridiculous!!!!
Got my address book back from one of Majik's OE Backups that I did......got
all my mail back.....now I think I will uninstall and reinstall Firefox.

I have no idea why this is happening........nothing unusual earlier today.
Any ideas?? Must go and check out some more programs.

Heather

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi All......
>
> Lost everything in OE tonight. Eventually found that the Application Data
> Folder was now in Applog......so mucked something up somehow.
>
> After some futzing around, got all my emails back (moved the Application
> Data Folder out of Applog).....but have duplicates of Identities. I won't
> bother to explain.
>
> Asked in the OE group how on earth to get my Address Book back......300
> names......aarrgghh!! It keeps telling me it has imported it
successfully,
> but it hasn't. Majik or Steve should be able to help. Tried 5 different
> ways to import it, but it ain't working.
>
> HOWEVER.....I managed to lost my Quick Launch thingie on the bottom left
by
> Start......says it can't create it now by right clicking on the taskbar.
> was moving OE over one.....but had noticed this Application Data Folder in
> Applog earlier and didn't stop to think about it. It was a hidden folder
> and I had a devil of a time importing......that's OK now.
>
> Any suggestions on the Quick Launch Toolbar?? *We are not amused* at the
> moment.....wry grin.
>
> Heather

April 3, 2005 4:33:41 AM

Hi, Heather,

Have you tried a system restore? Hang in there.

Tom

Heather wrote:
> Damn.......Firefox was wiped clean too......this is getting ridiculous!!!!
> Got my address book back from one of Majik's OE Backups that I did......got
> all my mail back.....now I think I will uninstall and reinstall Firefox.
>
> I have no idea why this is happening........nothing unusual earlier today.
> Any ideas?? Must go and check out some more programs.
>
> Heather
>
> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Hi All......
>>
>>Lost everything in OE tonight. Eventually found that the Application Data
>>Folder was now in Applog......so mucked something up somehow.
>>
>>After some futzing around, got all my emails back (moved the Application
>>Data Folder out of Applog).....but have duplicates of Identities. I won't
>>bother to explain.
>>
>>Asked in the OE group how on earth to get my Address Book back......300
>>names......aarrgghh!! It keeps telling me it has imported it
>
> successfully,
>
>>but it hasn't. Majik or Steve should be able to help. Tried 5 different
>>ways to import it, but it ain't working.
>>
>>HOWEVER.....I managed to lost my Quick Launch thingie on the bottom left
>
> by
>
>>Start......says it can't create it now by right clicking on the taskbar.

>>was moving OE over one.....but had noticed this Application Data Folder in
>>Applog earlier and didn't stop to think about it. It was a hidden folder
>>and I had a devil of a time importing......that's OK now.
>>
>>Any suggestions on the Quick Launch Toolbar?? *We are not amused* at the
>>moment.....wry grin.
>>
>>Heather

April 3, 2005 4:33:42 AM

I just sent her that suggestion........'Shirley', she thought of that.
She's starting to remind me of..........<slapping back of hand>.......we
won't go there.
Heirloom, old and discrete

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Heather,
>
> Have you tried a system restore? Hang in there.
>
> Tom
>
> Heather wrote:
> > Damn.......Firefox was wiped clean too......this is getting
ridiculous!!!!
> > Got my address book back from one of Majik's OE Backups that I
did......got
> > all my mail back.....now I think I will uninstall and reinstall Firefox.
> >
> > I have no idea why this is happening........nothing unusual earlier
today.
> > Any ideas?? Must go and check out some more programs.
> >
> > Heather
> >
> > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi All......
> >>
> >>Lost everything in OE tonight. Eventually found that the Application
Data
> >>Folder was now in Applog......so mucked something up somehow.
> >>
> >>After some futzing around, got all my emails back (moved the Application
> >>Data Folder out of Applog).....but have duplicates of Identities. I
won't
> >>bother to explain.
> >>
> >>Asked in the OE group how on earth to get my Address Book back......300
> >>names......aarrgghh!! It keeps telling me it has imported it
> >
> > successfully,
> >
> >>but it hasn't. Majik or Steve should be able to help. Tried 5
different
> >>ways to import it, but it ain't working.
> >>
> >>HOWEVER.....I managed to lost my Quick Launch thingie on the bottom left
> >
> > by
> >
> >>Start......says it can't create it now by right clicking on the taskbar.

> >>was moving OE over one.....but had noticed this Application Data Folder
in
> >>Applog earlier and didn't stop to think about it. It was a hidden
folder
> >>and I had a devil of a time importing......that's OK now.
> >>
> >>Any suggestions on the Quick Launch Toolbar?? *We are not amused* at
the
> >>moment.....wry grin.
> >>
> >>Heather

April 3, 2005 5:01:00 AM

You are walking on thin ice, old guy.......bwa ha ha. The name is
HEATHER.....OK??

And Shirley thought of that......I did that first off and it didn't work.
Going to uninstall the new photo editing update that I installed last
night......HP one. Bet it's that. Major mess tho.

HEATHER, beautiful and baffled......(gag)

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> I just sent her that suggestion........'Shirley', she thought of that.
> She's starting to remind me of..........<slapping back of hand>.......we
> won't go there.
> Heirloom, old and discrete
>

> "TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> > Hi, Heather,
> >
> > Have you tried a system restore? Hang in there.
> >
> > Tom
> >
> > Heather wrote:
> > > Damn.......Firefox was wiped clean too......this is getting
> ridiculous!!!!
> > > Got my address book back from one of Majik's OE Backups that I
> did......got
> > > all my mail back.....now I think I will uninstall and reinstall
Firefox.

> > > I have no idea why this is happening........nothing unusual earlier
> today.
> > > Any ideas?? Must go and check out some more programs.
> > >
> > > Heather
> > >
> > > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> Data

Application
> won't

> > > successfully,

> different

> > > by

Folder
> in
> folder

> the

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 7:27:42 AM

Ignore double-post...

Silj
<snip>
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 2:04:19 PM

<lol>
I won't tell if you don't <g>
Joan

heirloom wrote:

> She's starting to remind me of..........<slapping back of hand>.......we
> won't go there.
> Heirloom, old and discrete

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 6:18:36 PM

Heather wrote:
> Hi All......
>
> Lost everything in OE tonight. Eventually found that the Application Data
> Folder was now in Applog......so mucked something up somehow.
>
> After some futzing around, got all my emails back (moved the Application
> Data Folder out of Applog).....but have duplicates of Identities. I won't
> bother to explain.
>
> Asked in the OE group how on earth to get my Address Book back......300
> names......aarrgghh!! It keeps telling me it has imported it successfully,
> but it hasn't. Majik or Steve should be able to help. Tried 5 different
> ways to import it, but it ain't working.
>
> HOWEVER.....I managed to lost my Quick Launch thingie on the bottom left by
> Start......says it can't create it now by right clicking on the taskbar. I
> was moving OE over one.....but had noticed this Application Data Folder in
> Applog earlier and didn't stop to think about it. It was a hidden folder
> and I had a devil of a time importing......that's OK now.
>
> Any suggestions on the Quick Launch Toolbar?? *We are not amused* at the
> moment.....wry grin.

When I lost mine I just created a New Toolbar and called it QuickLaunch

rpl

> Heather

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 6:41:39 PM

How in the world do you create a New Toolbar, Rick?

Harry.

> Heather wrote:
> > Hi All......
> >
> > Lost everything in OE tonight. Eventually found that the Application
Data
> > Folder was now in Applog......so mucked something up somehow.
> >
> > After some futzing around, got all my emails back (moved the Application
> > Data Folder out of Applog).....but have duplicates of Identities. I
won't
> > bother to explain.
> >
> > Asked in the OE group how on earth to get my Address Book back......300
> > names......aarrgghh!! It keeps telling me it has imported it
successfully,
> > but it hasn't. Majik or Steve should be able to help. Tried 5
different
> > ways to import it, but it ain't working.
> >
> > HOWEVER.....I managed to lost my Quick Launch thingie on the bottom left
by
> > Start......says it can't create it now by right clicking on the taskbar.
> > was moving OE over one.....but had noticed this Application Data Folder
in
> > Applog earlier and didn't stop to think about it. It was a hidden
folder
> > and I had a devil of a time importing......that's OK now.
> >
> > Any suggestions on the Quick Launch Toolbar?? *We are not amused* at
the
> > moment.....wry grin.
>
> When I lost mine I just created a New Toolbar and called it QuickLaunch
>
> rpl
>

> > Heather

April 3, 2005 6:44:49 PM

Hi Rick.....did that last night. But I have a space between Start & Quick
Launch on the left and now the open programs are in between
those.......bloody computers, grin.

Heather

> When I lost mine I just created a New Toolbar and called it QuickLaunch
>
> rpl

> Heather wrote:
> > Hi All......
> >
> > Lost everything in OE tonight. Eventually found that the Application
Data
> > Folder was now in Applog......so mucked something up somehow.
> >
> > After some futzing around, got all my emails back (moved the Application
> > Data Folder out of Applog).....but have duplicates of Identities. I
won't
> > bother to explain.
> >
> > Asked in the OE group how on earth to get my Address Book back......300
> > names......aarrgghh!! It keeps telling me it has imported it
successfully,
> > but it hasn't. Majik or Steve should be able to help. Tried 5
different
> > ways to import it, but it ain't working.
> >
> > HOWEVER.....I managed to lost my Quick Launch thingie on the bottom left
by
> > Start......says it can't create it now by right clicking on the taskbar.
> > was moving OE over one.....but had noticed this Application Data Folder
in
> > Applog earlier and didn't stop to think about it. It was a hidden
folder
> > and I had a devil of a time importing......that's OK now.
> >
> > Any suggestions on the Quick Launch Toolbar?? *We are not amused* at
the
> > moment.....wry grin.
>

> > Heather

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 6:48:13 PM

Right-Click on the Taskbar
Select Toolbars
then look for an Option that says "New Toolbar" :)

In the case of trying to start a new QuickLaunch, just point it to the
QuickLaunch folder.

Rick

webster72n wrote:
> How in the world do you create a New Toolbar, Rick?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Heather wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All......
>>>
>>>Lost everything in OE tonight. Eventually found that the Application
>
> Data
>
>>>Folder was now in Applog......so mucked something up somehow.
>>>
>>>After some futzing around, got all my emails back (moved the Application
>>>Data Folder out of Applog).....but have duplicates of Identities. I
>
> won't
>
>>>bother to explain.
>>>
>>>Asked in the OE group how on earth to get my Address Book back......300
>>>names......aarrgghh!! It keeps telling me it has imported it
>
> successfully,
>
>>>but it hasn't. Majik or Steve should be able to help. Tried 5
>
> different
>
>>>ways to import it, but it ain't working.
>>>
>>>HOWEVER.....I managed to lost my Quick Launch thingie on the bottom left
>
> by
>
>>>Start......says it can't create it now by right clicking on the taskbar.

>>>was moving OE over one.....but had noticed this Application Data Folder
>
> in
>
>>>Applog earlier and didn't stop to think about it. It was a hidden
>
> folder
>
>>>and I had a devil of a time importing......that's OK now.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions on the Quick Launch Toolbar?? *We are not amused* at
>
> the
>
>>>moment.....wry grin.
>>
>>When I lost mine I just created a New Toolbar and called it QuickLaunch
>>
>>rpl
>>

>>>Heather

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 6:49:25 PM

"bloody users" more like it... drag'n'drop it to where you want it to be.

:)

Rick

Heather wrote:
> Hi Rick.....did that last night. But I have a space between Start & Quick
> Launch on the left and now the open programs are in between
> those.......bloody computers, grin.
>
> Heather
>
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>When I lost mine I just created a New Toolbar and called it QuickLaunch
>>
>>rpl
>

>>Heather wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All......
>>>
>>>Lost everything in OE tonight. Eventually found that the Application
>
> Data
>
>>>Folder was now in Applog......so mucked something up somehow.
>>>
>>>After some futzing around, got all my emails back (moved the Application
>>>Data Folder out of Applog).....but have duplicates of Identities. I
>
> won't
>
>>>bother to explain.
>>>
>>>Asked in the OE group how on earth to get my Address Book back......300
>>>names......aarrgghh!! It keeps telling me it has imported it
>
> successfully,
>
>>>but it hasn't. Majik or Steve should be able to help. Tried 5
>
> different
>
>>>ways to import it, but it ain't working.
>>>
>>>HOWEVER.....I managed to lost my Quick Launch thingie on the bottom left
>
> by
>
>>>Start......says it can't create it now by right clicking on the taskbar.

>>>was moving OE over one.....but had noticed this Application Data Folder
>
> in
>
>>>Applog earlier and didn't stop to think about it. It was a hidden
>
> folder
>
>>>and I had a devil of a time importing......that's OK now.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions on the Quick Launch Toolbar?? *We are not amused* at
>
> the
>
>>>moment.....wry grin.
>>
>>>Heather

April 3, 2005 8:05:04 PM

Tried that......it doesn't work. There is at least two inches between Start
and the Quick Launch bar......it just won't budge!! I have tried to see
what in heck is stopping this, but no joy.

And thanks for your offer btw.....will write later. Been a bit hectic at
this house for a while and I haven't answered half the emails I should have.

XX Figgs, NOT a *bloody user*......grin

> "bloody users" more like it... drag'n'drop it to where you want it to be.
>
> :)
>
> Rick
>

> Heather wrote:
> > Hi Rick.....did that last night. But I have a space between Start &
Quick
> > Launch on the left and now the open programs are in between
> > those.......bloody computers, grin.
> >
> > Heather
> >
> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>When I lost mine I just created a New Toolbar and called it QuickLaunch
> >>
> >>rpl

> > Data

Application

> > won't

> > successfully,

> > different

> > by

> > in

> > folder

> > the

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 8:35:00 PM

Heather wrote:
> Tried that......it doesn't work. There is at least two inches between Start
> and the Quick Launch bar......it just won't budge!! I have tried to see
> what in heck is stopping this, but no joy.
>
> And thanks for your offer btw.....will write later. Been a bit hectic at
> this house for a while and I haven't answered half the emails I should have.
>
> XX Figgs, NOT a *bloody user*......grin

heheheh

At your convenience, but bear in mind I know zilch about XP, you're my
guinea pig and it will cost you a small fortune in tea and crumpets (or
brownies, muffins, etc.)

Rick

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>"bloody users" more like it... drag'n'drop it to where you want it to be.
>>
>>:)
>>
>>Rick
>>

>>Heather wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Rick.....did that last night. But I have a space between Start &
>
> Quick
>
>>>Launch on the left and now the open programs are in between
>>>those.......bloody computers, grin.
>>>
>>>Heather
>>>
>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Data

> Application

>>>won't

>>>successfully,

>>>different

> left
>
>>>by

> taskbar.

>>>in

>>>folder

>>>the

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 8:37:07 PM

Occurs to me that 2" is about the width of QuickLaunch... maybe uncheck
it in Toolbars.

rpl

Heather wrote:
> Tried that......it doesn't work. There is at least two inches between Start
> and the Quick Launch bar......it just won't budge!! I have tried to see
> what in heck is stopping this, but no joy.
>
> And thanks for your offer btw.....will write later. Been a bit hectic at
> this house for a while and I haven't answered half the emails I should have.
>
> XX Figgs, NOT a *bloody user*......grin
>
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>"bloody users" more like it... drag'n'drop it to where you want it to be.
>>
>>:)
>>
>>Rick
>>

>>Heather wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Rick.....did that last night. But I have a space between Start &
>
> Quick
>
>>>Launch on the left and now the open programs are in between
>>>those.......bloody computers, grin.
>>>
>>>Heather
>>>
>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Data

> Application

>>>won't

>>>successfully,

>>>different

> left
>
>>>by

> taskbar.

>>>in

>>>folder

>>>the

April 3, 2005 9:40:09 PM

Did that.......and when I go to recheck it, it says it can't create the
Quick Launch Toolbar......can only do it via Windows Explorer.

Hate tea and crumpets......will beer and cheesies do? (G)

Kidding, coz I am not ready to move up to XP at the moment......however the
thought of it is enticing.

Besides...do you know how far Scarberia is from Bramlad......??

Cheers.....Figgs

> Occurs to me that 2" is about the width of QuickLaunch... maybe uncheck
> it in Toolbars.
>
> rpl
>
> Heather wrote:
> > Tried that......it doesn't work. There is at least two inches between
Start
> > and the Quick Launch bar......it just won't budge!! I have tried to see
> > what in heck is stopping this, but no joy.
> >
> > And thanks for your offer btw.....will write later. Been a bit hectic
at
> > this house for a while and I haven't answered half the emails I should
have.

> > XX Figgs, NOT a *bloody user*......grin
> >
> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>"bloody users" more like it... drag'n'drop it to where you want it to
be.

> >>:)
> >>
> >>Rick

> > Quick

QuickLaunch

> > Application

> > left

> > taskbar.

Folder

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 9:40:10 PM

Heather wrote:
> Did that.......and when I go to recheck it, it says it can't create the
> Quick Launch Toolbar......can only do it via Windows Explorer.
>
> Hate tea and crumpets......will beer and cheesies do? (G)

yup.... your keyboard.

> Kidding, coz I am not ready to move up to XP at the moment......however the
> thought of it is enticing.
>
> Besides...do you know how far Scarberia is from Bramlad......??

worked/played at CC Mall a few times... I'll give myself a few days
headstart; longer if the oh-so-lovely weather keeps up <g>.

Rick

> Cheers.....Figgs
>
> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Occurs to me that 2" is about the width of QuickLaunch... maybe uncheck
>>it in Toolbars.
>>
>>rpl
>>
>>Heather wrote:
>>
>>>Tried that......it doesn't work. There is at least two inches between
>
> Start
>
>>>and the Quick Launch bar......it just won't budge!! I have tried to see
>>>what in heck is stopping this, but no joy.
>>>
>>>And thanks for your offer btw.....will write later. Been a bit hectic
>
> at
>
>>>this house for a while and I haven't answered half the emails I should
>
> have.
>
>>>XX Figgs, NOT a *bloody user*......grin
>>>
>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> be.

>>>Quick

> QuickLaunch

>>>Application

> back......300

>>>left

>>>taskbar.

> Folder

> at

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:04:37 PM

Hey Heather!

> Kidding, coz I am not ready to move up to XP at the moment......however
> the
> thought of it is enticing.

You can't be any bigger coward than I am! You won't be sorry to get up to
XP. Lawd knows I held out long after I even had it installed on a separate
drive. I just could not get up the never to use it. But, what with PA Bear
(and a few others I won't mention who hang out here) egging me on and giving
elbows to the ribs every chance they got, I was finally able to work up the
courage to actually start using it. I have the XP Pro with SP2, and I have
not had many problems at all, and nothing on the scale of some of the horror
stories I have seen and heard. I truly believe that having the SP2 already
set up with the program eliminated a lot of the problems from a separate
install. But, I really can't speak on that as I have not had to do that.

I now have WinME, W2k and Xp Pro on my machine, each on it's own drive, so
now I am triple booting. Each has it's special points and drawbacks. I am
using the WinME as my backup mostly now, as it has the SR and I am pretty
sure I can trust it. Not having had to use the one with XP yet (knocking on
my head) I don't know how well it might work. So, if it is worth anything
at all from me, I would advise that you keep the WinME on a separate drive
and just get a new drive for the XP if you haven't already got that in mind.
I have found few programs that won't work on them both if need be.

Jan :)
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.
April 3, 2005 11:47:11 PM

First of all.....CONGRATULATIONS on becoming an MVP!!!! There is hope for
the rest of us.....(big grin). Seriously, that is just wonderful!!

And yes, I plan on getting a second hard drive and dual booting.....if not a
new computer. Just about had it with this one since I tried to upgrade it.

Hope we see you around here some more, now that you have a TITLE!!

Best.....Heather

"Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> Hey Heather!
>
> You can't be any bigger coward than I am! You won't be sorry to get up to
XP. Lawd knows I held out long after I even had it installed on a separate
> drive. I just could not get up the never to use it. But, what with PA
Bear
> (and a few others I won't mention who hang out here) egging me on and
giving
> elbows to the ribs every chance they got, I was finally able to work up
the
> courage to actually start using it. I have the XP Pro with SP2, and I have
> not had many problems at all, and nothing on the scale of some of the
horror
> stories I have seen and heard. I truly believe that having the SP2
already
> set up with the program eliminated a lot of the problems from a separate
> install. But, I really can't speak on that as I have not had to do that.
>
> I now have WinME, W2k and Xp Pro on my machine, each on it's own drive, so
> now I am triple booting. Each has it's special points and drawbacks. I
am
> using the WinME as my backup mostly now, as it has the SR and I am pretty
> sure I can trust it. Not having had to use the one with XP yet (knocking
on
> my head) I don't know how well it might work. So, if it is worth anything
> at all from me, I would advise that you keep the WinME on a separate drive
> and just get a new drive for the XP if you haven't already got that in
mind.
> I have found few programs that won't work on them both if need be.
>
> Jan :)
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> Smiles are meant to be shared,
> that's why they're so contagious.

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 4:29:00 AM

> First of all.....CONGRATULATIONS on becoming an MVP!!!! There is hope for
> the rest of us.....(big grin). Seriously, that is just wonderful!!
>
> And yes, I plan on getting a second hard drive and dual booting.....if not
> new computer. Just about had it with this one since I tried to upgrade
> it.
>
> Hope we see you around here some more, now that you have a TITLE!!
>
> Best.....Heather

Thanks Heather! Good on you! At first the idea of more than one hard drive
bothered me, but, the idea of having only XP to rely on bothered me even
more! :-)

Title? I have a Title? Then I guess I have to come up with some rules for
address....huh....

Let's see.....Ladyship....Your Grace.....My Grace......

:-)))

Jan :)
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

> "Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Heather!
>>
>> You can't be any bigger coward than I am! You won't be sorry to get up
> XP. Lawd knows I held out long after I even had it installed on a
> separate
>> drive. I just could not get up the never to use it. But, what with PA
> Bear
>> (and a few others I won't mention who hang out here) egging me on and
> giving
>> elbows to the ribs every chance they got, I was finally able to work up
> the
>> courage to actually start using it. I have the XP Pro with SP2, and I
>> have
>> not had many problems at all, and nothing on the scale of some of the
> horror
>> stories I have seen and heard. I truly believe that having the SP2
> already
>> set up with the program eliminated a lot of the problems from a separate
>> install. But, I really can't speak on that as I have not had to do that.
>>
>> I now have WinME, W2k and Xp Pro on my machine, each on it's own drive,
>> so
>> now I am triple booting. Each has it's special points and drawbacks. I
> am
>> using the WinME as my backup mostly now, as it has the SR and I am pretty
>> sure I can trust it. Not having had to use the one with XP yet (knocking
> on
>> my head) I don't know how well it might work. So, if it is worth
>> anything
>> at all from me, I would advise that you keep the WinME on a separate
>> drive
>> and just get a new drive for the XP if you haven't already got that in
> mind.
>> I have found few programs that won't work on them both if need be.
>>
>> Jan :)
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
>> Smiles are meant to be shared,
>> that's why they're so contagious.

April 4, 2005 4:47:02 AM

"Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
news:o k$F36MOFHA.3396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> Title? I have a Title? Then I guess I have to come up with some rules
for
> address....huh....
>
> Let's see.....Ladyship....Your Grace.....My Grace......

Bwa ha ha!! Don't push it, Milady!! (VBG) You are still that *crazy lady*
to me.....and don't ever change!!

Heather 8-)))

> :-)))
>
> Jan :)
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> Smiles are meant to be shared,
> that's why they're so contagious.
>

> > "Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> >> Hey Heather!
> >>
> >> You can't be any bigger coward than I am! You won't be sorry to get up
> > XP. Lawd knows I held out long after I even had it installed on a
> > separate
> >> drive. I just could not get up the never to use it. But, what with PA
> > Bear
> >> (and a few others I won't mention who hang out here) egging me on and
> > giving
> >> elbows to the ribs every chance they got, I was finally able to work up
> > the
> >> courage to actually start using it. I have the XP Pro with SP2, and I
> >> have
> >> not had many problems at all, and nothing on the scale of some of the
> > horror
> >> stories I have seen and heard. I truly believe that having the SP2
> > already
> >> set up with the program eliminated a lot of the problems from a
separate
> >> install. But, I really can't speak on that as I have not had to do
that.

> >> I now have WinME, W2k and Xp Pro on my machine, each on it's own drive,
> >> so
> >> now I am triple booting. Each has it's special points and drawbacks.
> > am
> >> using the WinME as my backup mostly now, as it has the SR and I am
pretty
> >> sure I can trust it. Not having had to use the one with XP yet
(knocking
> > on
> >> my head) I don't know how well it might work. So, if it is worth
> >> anything
> >> at all from me, I would advise that you keep the WinME on a separate
> >> drive
> >> and just get a new drive for the XP if you haven't already got that in
> > mind.
> >> I have found few programs that won't work on them both if need be.
> >>
> >> Jan :)
> >> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> >> Smiles are meant to be shared,
> >> that's why they're so contagious.

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:50:28 AM

> Jan :)
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> Smiles are meant to be shared,
> that's why they're so contagious.

Gongrats & Well Done Jan - just knew you'd get there.

Mart

<snipped>
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:50:29 AM

Congratulations on the well deserved title, Jan.
Heirloom, old and lost an hour today

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o EohNBLOFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Jan :)
> > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> > Smiles are meant to be shared,
> > that's why they're so contagious.
>
> Gongrats & Well Done Jan - just knew you'd get there.
>
> Mart
>
> <snipped>

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:50:29 AM

>> Jan :)
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
>> Smiles are meant to be shared,
>> that's why they're so contagious.
>
> Gongrats & Well Done Jan - just knew you'd get there.
>
> Mart

Thanks, Mart! Sheesh....they'll let anyone in these days.. ;o))

Jan :)
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:50:30 AM

> Congratulations on the well deserved title, Jan.
> Heirloom, old and lost an hour today

Thank you, Heirloom! :-)

Jan :)
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o EohNBLOFHA.3828@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> > Jan :)
>> > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
>> > Smiles are meant to be shared,
>> > that's why they're so contagious.
>>
>> Gongrats & Well Done Jan - just knew you'd get there.
>>
>> Mart
>>
>> <snipped>

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 2:34:48 PM

> "Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
> news:o k$F36MOFHA.3396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>> Title? I have a Title? Then I guess I have to come up with some rules
> for
>> address....huh....
>>
>> Let's see.....Ladyship....Your Grace.....My Grace......
>
> Bwa ha ha!! Don't push it, Milady!! (VBG) You are still that *crazy
> lady*
> to me.....and don't ever change!!
>
> Heather 8-)))

Heh heh...not a chance! That'd be like tryin' to put a peg-leg on a
centipede. 'Sides, I'd never fit in with the serious folks... ;o)

Jan :)

>> :-)))
>>
>> Jan :)
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
>> Smiles are meant to be shared,
>> that's why they're so contagious.
>>

>> > "Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message

>> > XP. Lawd knows I held out long after I even had it installed on a
>> > separate
>> > Bear
>> > giving
>> > the
>> > horror
>> > already
> separate
> that.

>> > am
> pretty
> (knocking
>> > on
>> > mind.

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:07:39 PM

Hi Jan nice to see you again, and I'll add my congratulations on the MVP
award, although I can't remember if I already did when you first got it.
<g> old age does terrible things with the memory <g>
I've already told Heather that she will love XP when she gets there <g>
I know I do, even though I still hang out in here, too many friends to
lose <g>
Joan

Jan Il wrote:

> Thanks Heather! Good on you! At first the idea of more than one hard drive
> bothered me, but, the idea of having only XP to rely on bothered me even
> more! :-)
>
> Title? I have a Title? Then I guess I have to come up with some rules for
> address....huh....
>
> Let's see.....Ladyship....Your Grace.....My Grace......
>
> :-)))
>
> Jan :)
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> Smiles are meant to be shared,
> that's why they're so contagious.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:07:40 PM

Hey Joan!

> Hi Jan nice to see you again, and I'll add my congratulations on the MVP
> award, although I can't remember if I already did when you first got it.
> <g> old age does terrible things with the memory <g>
> I've already told Heather that she will love XP when she gets there <g> I
> know I do, even though I still hang out in here, too many friends to lose
> <g>
> Joan

Thank you! I'm with you....I have added W2k and now XP, but, there just
ain't no place like 'home'. <VBG>

Actually, I still use my ME a great deal. There are a few programs that
just like ME much better than the other two, and I use them a lot in my
graphics work. W2K is sort of the 'Middle Child'.....it does not get near
as much use these days as the other two. I resisted Noel and PA Bear's
urgings and teasing for several months to move up to XP. But, it wasn't
until I got it as a birthday gift last fall that I couldn't very well put it
off any longer. ;-)

Jan :)

> Jan Il wrote:
>

>> Thanks Heather! Good on you! At first the idea of more than one hard
>> drive bothered me, but, the idea of having only XP to rely on bothered me
>> even more! :-)
>>
>> Title? I have a Title? Then I guess I have to come up with some rules
>> for address....huh....
>>
>> Let's see.....Ladyship....Your Grace.....My Grace......
>>
>> :-)))
>>
>> Jan :)
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
>> Smiles are meant to be shared,
>> that's why they're so contagious.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:11:24 AM

Heh heh...not a chance! That'd be like tryin' to put a peg-leg on a
centipede. 'Sides, I'd never fit in with the serious folks... ;o)

Jan :)

>That's why you are so well liked in here.....
Heirloom, old and serious this time
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:19:26 AM

Hi Jan,
I don't use ME at all now, gave that box to my daughter and she uses it
all the time for her college work and research plus emails and such.

This one came with XP installed but as it is a Compaq and I didn't make
the recovery CD's at the start had all sorts of problems so as I had my
own retail copy of XP Home I started from scratch and wiped the drive
and clean installed. At least it meant I got rid of all the junk that
Compaq bundle with their machines <g>
Joan

Jan Il wrote:
>snip>
> Actually, I still use my ME a great deal. There are a few programs that
> just like ME much better than the other two, and I use them a lot in my
> graphics work. W2K is sort of the 'Middle Child'.....it does not get near
> as much use these days as the other two. I resisted Noel and PA Bear's
> urgings and teasing for several months to move up to XP. But, it wasn't
> until I got it as a birthday gift last fall that I couldn't very well put it
> off any longer. ;-)
>
> Jan :)
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:15:20 AM

> Heh heh...not a chance! That'd be like tryin' to put a peg-leg on a
> centipede. 'Sides, I'd never fit in with the serious folks... ;o)
>
> Jan :)
>

>>That's why you are so well liked in here.....
> Heirloom, old and serious this time

Thank you, Heirloom.... you're one of my favorites.
........ serious this time too... :-)

Jan :)

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:22:20 AM

> Hi Jan,
> I don't use ME at all now, gave that box to my daughter and she uses it
> all the time for her college work and research plus emails and such.
>
> This one came with XP installed but as it is a Compaq and I didn't make
> the recovery CD's at the start had all sorts of problems so as I had my
> own retail copy of XP Home I started from scratch and wiped the drive and
> clean installed. At least it meant I got rid of all the junk that Compaq
> bundle with their machines <g>

Yea..I know what you mean about the trash. ME came installed on my Compaq
too, and all the garbage demos and halfwits. I got rid of the demos and the
only halfwit now is the one behind the keyboard. But, the W2K and XP Pro
were clean installs on new drives, so I didn't have the garbage with those.
But, I make the recovery and Riot Squad CD's and backups to bail me out.
I'm such a klutz....I don't trust me to my own devices.....especially *with*
devices. I mean...I can only impose on so just many of Noel's weekends and
have him still speak to me...... ;o)

Jan :)

> Joan
>
> Jan Il wrote:
>>snip>
>> Actually, I still use my ME a great deal. There are a few programs that
>> just like ME much better than the other two, and I use them a lot in my
>> graphics work. W2K is sort of the 'Middle Child'.....it does not get
>> near as much use these days as the other two. I resisted Noel and PA
>> Bear's urgings and teasing for several months to move up to XP. But, it
>> wasn't until I got it as a birthday gift last fall that I couldn't very
>> well put it off any longer. ;-)
>>
>> Jan :)
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:24:45 AM

Hey - I resent that (or do I mean resemble??)
besides - I can return the questions (with interest<g>) now you're an
expert!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

>> Hi Jan,
>> I don't use ME at all now, gave that box to my daughter and she uses it
>> all the time for her college work and research plus emails and such.
>>
>> This one came with XP installed but as it is a Compaq and I didn't make
>> the recovery CD's at the start had all sorts of problems so as I had my
>> own retail copy of XP Home I started from scratch and wiped the drive and
>> clean installed. At least it meant I got rid of all the junk that Compaq
>> bundle with their machines <g>
>
> Yea..I know what you mean about the trash. ME came installed on my Compaq
> too, and all the garbage demos and halfwits. I got rid of the demos and
> the only halfwit now is the one behind the keyboard. But, the W2K and XP
> Pro were clean installs on new drives, so I didn't have the garbage with
> those. But, I make the recovery and Riot Squad CD's and backups to bail me
> out. I'm such a klutz....I don't trust me to my own devices.....especially
> *with* devices. I mean...I can only impose on so just many of Noel's
> weekends and have him still speak to me...... ;o)
>
> Jan :)
>

>> Joan
>>
>> Jan Il wrote:
>>>snip>
>>> Actually, I still use my ME a great deal. There are a few programs that
>>> just like ME much better than the other two, and I use them a lot in my
>>> graphics work. W2K is sort of the 'Middle Child'.....it does not get
>>> near as much use these days as the other two. I resisted Noel and PA
>>> Bear's urgings and teasing for several months to move up to XP. But, it
>>> wasn't until I got it as a birthday gift last fall that I couldn't very
>>> well put it off any longer. ;-)
>>>
>>> Jan :)

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:43:53 PM

<lol> He's great to talk to though isn't he, we usually have a good
laugh when I give him a buzz. Mike's another one who I can have a good
chat too.
Mind you how sad can you get when you visit a chiropractor for the first
time and spend half the time talking computers <vbg>
Joan

Jan Il wrote:
I mean...I can only impose on so just many of Noel's weekends and
> have him still speak to me...... ;o)
>
> Jan :)

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:44:15 PM

<lol>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Hey - I resent that (or do I mean resemble??)
> besides - I can return the questions (with interest<g>) now you're an
> expert!!

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:59:05 PM

Joan Archer <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote:

> <lol> He's great to talk to though isn't he, we usually have a good
> laugh when I give him a buzz. Mike's another one who I can have a good
> chat too.
> Mind you how sad can you get when you visit a chiropractor for the
> first time and spend half the time talking computers <vbg>

Reminds me of when I first went to my new quack a three or four years ago.
The PC on her desk kept trying to access its floppy drive every couple of
minutes or so whilst we were talking. Guess what the subject then turned
to. :-)
--
Mike
Anonymous

<lol> I must get out more <g>
Joan

Mike M wrote:

> Reminds me of when I first went to my new quack a three or four years
> ago. The PC on her desk kept trying to access its floppy drive every
> couple of minutes or so whilst we were talking. Guess what the subject
> then turned to. :-)
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:46:07 PM

> Hey - I resent that (or do I mean resemble??)
> besides - I can return the questions (with interest<g>) now you're an
> expert!!

Ohh gawd!! Never thought of that! Somebody! Quick! Hide his markers!! ;o))

Jan :)
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

> "Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Jan,
>>> I don't use ME at all now, gave that box to my daughter and she uses it
>>> all the time for her college work and research plus emails and such.
>>>
>>> This one came with XP installed but as it is a Compaq and I didn't make
>>> the recovery CD's at the start had all sorts of problems so as I had my
>>> own retail copy of XP Home I started from scratch and wiped the drive
>>> and clean installed. At least it meant I got rid of all the junk that
>>> Compaq bundle with their machines <g>
>>
>> Yea..I know what you mean about the trash. ME came installed on my
>> Compaq too, and all the garbage demos and halfwits. I got rid of the
>> demos and the only halfwit now is the one behind the keyboard. But, the
>> W2K and XP Pro were clean installs on new drives, so I didn't have the
>> garbage with those. But, I make the recovery and Riot Squad CD's and
>> backups to bail me out. I'm such a klutz....I don't trust me to my own
>> devices.....especially *with* devices. I mean...I can only impose on so
>> just many of Noel's weekends and have him still speak to me...... ;o)
>>
>> Jan :)
>>

>>> Joan

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:49:54 PM

> <lol> He's great to talk to though isn't he, we usually have a good laugh
> when I give him a buzz. Mike's another one who I can have a good chat too.
> Mind you how sad can you get when you visit a chiropractor for the first
> time and spend half the time talking computers <vbg>
> Joan

Oh yes..we've had some rousing conversations via keyboards. One thing is for
sure...if I ever go to his house to visit, he certainly won't have to worry
about me raiding his liquor cabinet!! :o ))))

Jan :)
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

> Jan Il wrote:
> I mean...I can only impose on so just many of Noel's weekends and
>> have him still speak to me...... ;o)
>>
>> Jan :)

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:44:30 AM

Duck a l'Orange??
:)

--

> Reminds me of when I first went to my new quack a three or four years ago.
> The PC on her desk kept trying to access its floppy drive every couple of
> minutes or so whilst we were talking. Guess what the subject then turned
> to. :-)
> --
> Mike

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:58:00 AM

<lol> You been dining out <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Duck a l'Orange??
> :)

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:14:12 AM

Not yet.......

--

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> <lol> You been dining out <g>
> Joan
>
> Noel Paton wrote:
>> Duck a l'Orange??
>> :)

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:48:14 PM

Hope your not waiting until I get up there again <g>
Joan

Noel Paton wrote:
> Not yet.......

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:49:43 PM

<lol> Nor me, I'd just drink all his coffee <g>
Joan

Jan Il wrote:

> Oh yes..we've had some rousing conversations via keyboards. One thing is for
> sure...if I ever go to his house to visit, he certainly won't have to worry
> about me raiding his liquor cabinet!! :o ))))
>
> Jan :)
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> Smiles are meant to be shared,
> that's why they're so contagious.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:04:16 PM

"> <lol> Nor me, I'd just drink all his coffee <g>
> Joan

Coffee!?!? He drinks *coffee*? Whaa...I thought all Englishfolk drank tea,
and would rather die the death of a ragdoll than have a drip 'o coffee taint
their lips! However, Kaluha... is another story... ;o)

Jan :)

> Jan Il wrote:
>

>> Oh yes..we've had some rousing conversations via keyboards. One thing is
>> for sure...if I ever go to his house to visit, he certainly won't have to
>> worry about me raiding his liquor cabinet!! :o ))))
>>
>> Jan :)
>> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
>> Smiles are meant to be shared,
>> that's why they're so contagious.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:14:45 PM

<lol> Don't know about him drinking coffee but I do <g> the couple of
times we've met up was in a pub/restaurant so alcohol was on the menu <g>

Anyway he's not an Englishman he's Scottish <g> so you can draw your own
conclusions to his tipple <g>
Joan

Jan Il wrote:

> Coffee!?!? He drinks *coffee*? Whaa...I thought all Englishfolk drank tea,
> and would rather die the death of a ragdoll than have a drip 'o coffee taint
> their lips! However, Kaluha... is another story... ;o)
>
> Jan :)
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:14:46 PM

> <lol> Don't know about him drinking coffee but I do <g> the couple of
> times we've met up was in a pub/restaurant so alcohol was on the menu <g>
>
> Anyway he's not an Englishman he's Scottish <g> so you can draw your own
> conclusions to his tipple <g>
> Joan

Oh lawdy, Miss Claudie! A Scott! Well that explains it...... <gd&rvvvf>>>

Jan :)

> Jan Il wrote:
>

>> Coffee!?!? He drinks *coffee*? Whaa...I thought all Englishfolk drank
>> tea, and would rather die the death of a ragdoll than have a drip 'o
>> coffee taint their lips! However, Kaluha... is another story... ;o)
>>
>> Jan :)
April 6, 2005 7:14:47 PM

"Jan Il" <abuse@localhost.com> wrote in message
news:o pky%23srOFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> Oh lawdy, Miss Claudie! A Scott! Well that explains it...... <gd&rvvvf>>>
>
> Jan :)

Watch it, Your Highness!! It may be 5 generations back, but I am one
too.....lol. And 'frugal' is my middle name. Detest the medicine they call
"scotch" tho.

Old enough to remember Little Richard or Elvis......you is *ancient*!!
Sneaking up on Joanie and me.....

Cheers.....Figgs
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:52:13 PM

> Watch it, Your Highness!! It may be 5 generations back, but I am one
> too.....lol. And 'frugal' is my middle name. Detest the medicine they
> call
> "scotch" tho.

Well.....the only Scotch I have in me is in a liquid form, usually mixed
with something far out....like coconut milk and Kiwi. And you know what
they say about giving fire water to Indians. We'll wind up doing the
Chicken dance around the habachi!
http://www.smilebug.com/chicken.shtml
or
http://www.ecardswebsite.com/ecard-90.htm

I'll let you take your pick.. ;o))

> Old enough to remember Little Richard or Elvis......you is *ancient*!!
> Sneaking up on Joanie and me.....

Sneaking you say? Y'all just be careful you two don't get footprints up the
back'a yer heads! ;o))

Jan :)
!