Hi,

A PC I have been given has a annoying habit of turning off the monitor after
being switched on after a few seconds.
The longest it's been running is the Win98se splash screen is shown!
The CD draws also stops working, but both fans remain on, there is no disk
activity after the monitor turns off.
I can't press F8 or enter BIOS with no monitor, or can I.

Will.

[Also posted in alt.windows98]

"Will" <will@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A PC I have been given has a annoying habit of turning off the monitor
> after
> being switched on after a few seconds.
> The longest it's been running is the Win98se splash screen is shown!
> The CD draws also stops working, but both fans remain on, there is no disk
> activity after the monitor turns off.
> I can't press F8 or enter BIOS with no monitor, or can I.
>
> Will.
>
> [Also posted in alt.windows98]

I haven't seen that particular symptom, but I suspect it is a bad power
supply. It almost always is. -Dave

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:42:15 +0000 (UTC), "Will" <will@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>A PC I have been given has a annoying habit of turning off the monitor after
>being switched on after a few seconds.
>The longest it's been running is the Win98se splash screen is shown!
>The CD draws also stops working, but both fans remain on, there is no disk
>activity after the monitor turns off.
>I can't press F8 or enter BIOS with no monitor, or can I.
>
>Will.

If you boot from a floppy disk it does the same thing?
Bad powersupply or CPU overheating? I'd check out those.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

It won't boot from a floppy. Not on long enough to overheat (a matter of
seconds).

Will.