XP switch users lock-up

When I switch users (2 on the machine) and start to work, my PC locks up and
the display goes kinda fuzzy/jagged.
3 finger salute does nothing, and the only way out is a restart.
Have tried 2 identical monitors - same thing. (lcd)
Swapped memory modules - same thing
swapped hard drives - same thing
swapped mo-bos ( identical types) - same thing
I have formatted the drive several times, including llf
It is NTFS and windows proffesional with sp2
( multi user licence version) which I have loaded onto many machines with no
previous problem.......

I am beginning to think that winxp has some sort of
lock-up issue when set up to have multi-users??
Has anyone any other ideas or experienced this?? I am
getting really stressed over this one !! TYIA
3 answers Last reply
More about switch users lock

    sounds like a driver problem...why on only the one user? don't get
    that. Unless you have specifically set user accessible folders, and
    one has video connections that is locked from that user.......very
    unlikely however. on user 2 does the monitor get described correctly
    in display properties?

    "Hawkey" <tandrmackey-nospam-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I switch users (2 on the machine) and start to work, my PC
    locks up and
    > the display goes kinda fuzzy/jagged.
    > 3 finger salute does nothing, and the only way out is a restart.
    > Have tried 2 identical monitors - same thing. (lcd)
    > Swapped memory modules - same thing
    > swapped hard drives - same thing
    > swapped mo-bos ( identical types) - same thing
    > I have formatted the drive several times, including llf
    > It is NTFS and windows proffesional with sp2
    > ( multi user licence version) which I have loaded onto many machines
    with no
    > previous problem.......
    >
    > I am beginning to think that winxp has some sort
    of
    > lock-up issue when set up to have multi-users??
    > Has anyone any other ideas or experienced this??
    I am
    > getting really stressed over this one !! TYIA

    It happens on either/both /or even a third user.The monitor is described in
    properties as "standard CRT" - although it is an LCD.
    no drivers are available for the monitor - I have checked the website.
    Since the original posting, I have disabled "fast user switching" in XP and
    things appear a lot better. I think MS have acknowledged previously some
    sort of similar lock-up probs with fast user switching.
    I will test further and re-post with results. TY
    "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > sounds like a driver problem...why on only the one user? don't get
    > that. Unless you have specifically set user accessible folders, and
    > one has video connections that is locked from that user.......very
    > unlikely however. on user 2 does the monitor get described correctly
    > in display properties?
    >

    > "Hawkey" <tandrmackey-nospam-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> When I switch users (2 on the machine) and start to work, my PC
    > locks up and
    >> the display goes kinda fuzzy/jagged.
    >> 3 finger salute does nothing, and the only way out is a restart.
    >> Have tried 2 identical monitors - same thing. (lcd)
    >> Swapped memory modules - same thing
    >> swapped hard drives - same thing
    >> swapped mo-bos ( identical types) - same thing
    >> I have formatted the drive several times, including llf
    >> It is NTFS and windows proffesional with sp2
    >> ( multi user licence version) which I have loaded onto many machines
    > with no
    >> previous problem.......
    >>
    >> I am beginning to think that winxp has some sort
    > of
    >> lock-up issue when set up to have multi-users??
    >> Has anyone any other ideas or experienced this??
    > I am
    >> getting really stressed over this one !! TYIA

    it could be a refresh / resolution problem (even though LCDs don't
    need refresh adjustments...if there is a high setting, windows errors
    in some cases).... if anything it should read 'standard 'LCD monitor

    > It happens on either/both /or even a third user.The monitor is
    described in
    > properties as "standard CRT" - although it is an LCD.
    > no drivers are available for the monitor - I have checked the
    website.
    > Since the original posting, I have disabled "fast user switching" in
    XP and
    > things appear a lot better. I think MS have acknowledged previously
    some
    > sort of similar lock-up probs with fast user switching.
    > I will test further and re-post with results. TY
    > "JAD" <kapasitor@earthcharter.net> wrote in message
    > > sounds like a driver problem...why on only the one user? don't get
    > > that. Unless you have specifically set user accessible folders,
    and
    > > one has video connections that is locked from that user.......very
    > > unlikely however. on user 2 does the monitor get described
    correctly
    > > in display properties?
    > >

    > > "Hawkey" <tandrmackey-nospam-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> When I switch users (2 on the machine) and start to work, my PC
    > > locks up and
    > >> the display goes kinda fuzzy/jagged.
    > >> 3 finger salute does nothing, and the only way out is a restart.
    > >> Have tried 2 identical monitors - same thing. (lcd)
    > >> Swapped memory modules - same thing
    > >> swapped hard drives - same thing
    > >> swapped mo-bos ( identical types) - same thing
    > >> I have formatted the drive several times, including llf
    > >> It is NTFS and windows proffesional with sp2
    > >> ( multi user licence version) which I have loaded onto many
    machines
    > > with no
    > >> previous problem.......
    > >>
    > >> I am beginning to think that winxp has some
    sort
    > > of
    > >> lock-up issue when set up to have multi-users??
    > >> Has anyone any other ideas or experienced
    this??
    > > I am
    > >> getting really stressed over this one !! TYIA

Homebuilt Switch Windows XP Systems