on power up, CPU fan spins 1 sec then everything stops

I've had this proble sporadically and don't know how I've fixed it but its
not stopping so far tonight.

When I hit the case power switch I see the CPU fan start to spin up and then
it stops. No error beeps or anything.

Any subsequent hitting of the power switch doesn't have any effect until I
disconnect the power cord and plug it back in again. Then its the same
thing.

I've tired replugging in all the connectors and everything but no change.

What could this be a symptom of? Could it be a power supply failure?
3 answers Last reply
More about power spins stops

    David Miller wrote:

    > I've had this proble sporadically and don't know how I've fixed it but its
    > not stopping so far tonight.
    >
    > When I hit the case power switch I see the CPU fan start to spin up and then
    > it stops. No error beeps or anything.
    >
    > Any subsequent hitting of the power switch doesn't have any effect until I
    > disconnect the power cord and plug it back in again. Then its the same
    > thing.
    >
    > I've tired replugging in all the connectors and everything but no change.
    >
    > What could this be a symptom of? Could it be a power supply failure?

    Symptom of a short in the system somewhere or an
    overloaded/defective/under-rated PSU.

    Excessive current causes the PSU over-current protection to kick in,
    shutting down the PSU, and it takes an AC mains power cycle to reset the
    OCP circuit.

    Cheap PSUs are seldom, if ever, capable of handling the power suggested by
    their generic rating. e.g. an el-cheapo '450 Watt PSU' won't handle 450
    watts. But then, you gave no clues at all as to what your system or PSU is.

    Hi David,

    This sounds to me like a classic case of failing or too weak power
    supply. I've seen this happen more often with pc's, and every time
    changing the PSU fixed the problem. With some it wouldn't even spin just
    "twitch" the fan, nothing more, then quit and be dead :P

    Hope this helps!

    MC

    "David Miller" <scorpioatl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I've had this proble sporadically and don't know how I've fixed it but its
    > not stopping so far tonight.
    >
    > When I hit the case power switch I see the CPU fan start to spin up and
    then
    > it stops. No error beeps or anything.
    >
    > Any subsequent hitting of the power switch doesn't have any effect until I
    > disconnect the power cord and plug it back in again. Then its the same
    > thing.
    >
    > I've tired replugging in all the connectors and everything but no change.
    >
    > What could this be a symptom of? Could it be a power supply failure?

    Very likely. I've seen exactly the same symptoms a number of
    times in the past, except that they were not sporadic. In every case,
    the +5V line had failed. The fan is powered by the 12V rail which
    is still OK and the fan turns for a moment, but then the PSU's
    own monitoring system detects the absence of the +5V line and
    shuts down.

    As long as the power connector is plugged in, the separate
    standby supply is still operating and is still powering the
    fault-monitoring section which keeps the main power off.

    In your case, the +5V rail may be failing intermittently,
    perhaps due to reasons other than a dead rectifier which
    was always the reason in the cases I saw. Perhaps a bad
    solder joint inside the PSU.

Homebuilt Power Switch CPUs Systems