K7S5A - Power-off works fine, hibernate doesn't

Hi. I have a K7S5A with a XP 1500 processor. PSU is a Hiper 420W. 512Mb
ram. OS is XP SP2++.

Recently I noticed that if I shutdown the computer (from start menu)
the shutdown executes correctly, and the PSU turns off.

If however I hibernate, the hibernate occurs (and writes a valid file)
& then the computer resets itself and starts booting up again (and
restoring the hibernate file).

It didn't use to do this.

A few things have changed

* XP fixes are constantly applied (auto update)
* My PSU blew about 2 months ago. It was a cheaper 450w psu.
* I also replaced my graphics card (geforce 2 gts to 9550) -- but that
was yesterday and this problem occurred both before and after

* The registry setting for "power off after shutdown" is set to 1 (and
it works for shutdown)
* I've tried various BIOS levels from 2002/2003 on the K7S5A - no
issues
* I've removed an old IDE card I had for a 5th device -no difference

I probably should attempt a clean XP install on another disk to see if
the HW is ok, but anyone else seen this? What I find strange is the
"shutdown" works, "hibernate" doesn't. I'm suspicious of the PSU as the
most significant recently changed component, but can't explain why it
may work in one case & not the other - and it's unclear if it is a
motherboard issue or psu issue

Any advice?
news at planetf1.worldonline ... then add my country uk.co. (that's
backwards)
4 answers Last reply
More about k7s5a power works fine hibernate doesn

    jonesn@my-deja.com wrote:

    > Hi. I have a K7S5A with a XP 1500 processor. PSU is a Hiper 420W. 512Mb
    > ram. OS is XP SP2++.
    >
    > Recently I noticed that if I shutdown the computer (from start menu)
    > the shutdown executes correctly, and the PSU turns off.
    >
    > If however I hibernate, the hibernate occurs (and writes a valid file)
    > & then the computer resets itself and starts booting up again (and
    > restoring the hibernate file).
    >
    > It didn't use to do this.
    >
    > A few things have changed
    >
    > * XP fixes are constantly applied (auto update)
    > * My PSU blew about 2 months ago. It was a cheaper 450w psu.
    > * I also replaced my graphics card (geforce 2 gts to 9550) -- but that
    > was yesterday and this problem occurred both before and after
    >
    > * The registry setting for "power off after shutdown" is set to 1 (and
    > it works for shutdown)
    > * I've tried various BIOS levels from 2002/2003 on the K7S5A - no
    > issues
    > * I've removed an old IDE card I had for a 5th device -no difference
    >
    > I probably should attempt a clean XP install on another disk to see if
    > the HW is ok, but anyone else seen this? What I find strange is the
    > "shutdown" works, "hibernate" doesn't. I'm suspicious of the PSU as the
    > most significant recently changed component, but can't explain why it
    > may work in one case & not the other - and it's unclear if it is a
    > motherboard issue or psu issue
    >
    > Any advice?
    > news at planetf1.worldonline ... then add my country uk.co. (that's
    > backwards)

    Check your system logs for errors.

    XP defaults to automatically restarting after a critical error so if
    something, such as a driver, faults out when attempting to hibernate XP
    would restart.

    The other thing to check is if you have anything in BIOS set to 'wake up'
    the machine, such as wake on LAN, etc.

    Also, all devices must properly support suspend/hibernate or else they
    'wont go' when XP tries and XP will be forced to abort, which looks like a
    wake up, but it usually complains that some device is preventing it.

    think i had this problem once with my K7S5A rev3.1 . it was all to do with
    wake on lan (WOL)

    take a look in the bios and see of WOL is enabled. if so disable it because
    that was causing my system to restart on hibernate.

    Cheers, Mark

    David Maynard wrote:
    > Check your system logs for errors.

    Nothing related (I know the log, and have seen issues before with SW
    preventing hibernate, but this isn't happening - the hibernate does
    occur.

    > XP defaults to automatically restarting after a critical error so if
    > something, such as a driver, faults out when attempting to hibernate
    XP
    > would restart.

    In system settings XP is set NOT to auto start, so I should see a blue
    screen -- but I don't

    > The other thing to check is if you have anything in BIOS set to 'wake
    up'
    > the machine, such as wake on LAN, etc.

    Nope, all off. ie Power on by lan/ring - off.

    > Also, all devices must properly support suspend/hibernate or else
    they
    > 'wont go' when XP tries and XP will be forced to abort, which looks
    like a
    > wake up, but it usually complains that some device is preventing it.

    Nope, the hibernate completes - literally ie get the progress bar as
    writing to disk, but then instead of the power going off, it stays on,
    and the PC restarts

    jonesn@my-deja.com wrote:
    > David Maynard wrote:
    >
    >>Check your system logs for errors.
    >

    > Nothing related (I know the log, and have seen issues before with SW
    > preventing hibernate, but this isn't happening - the hibernate does
    > occur.
    >

    >>XP defaults to automatically restarting after a critical error so if
    >>something, such as a driver, faults out when attempting to hibernate
    >
    > XP
    >
    >>would restart.
    >

    > In system settings XP is set NOT to auto start, so I should see a blue
    > screen -- but I don't
    >

    >>The other thing to check is if you have anything in BIOS set to 'wake
    >
    > up'
    >
    >>the machine, such as wake on LAN, etc.
    >

    > Nope, all off. ie Power on by lan/ring - off.
    >

    >>Also, all devices must properly support suspend/hibernate or else
    >
    > they
    >
    >>'wont go' when XP tries and XP will be forced to abort, which looks
    >
    > like a
    >
    >>wake up, but it usually complains that some device is preventing it.
    >

    > Nope, the hibernate completes - literally ie get the progress bar as
    > writing to disk, but then instead of the power going off, it stays on,
    > and the PC restarts

    Well, it isn't 'complete' till the power goes off. But even if it's going
    into hibernate and back out so fast it isn't visible it still boils down to
    either something is preventing it from going INto hibernate or something is
    waking it right back up.

    Only thing else I can think of, off hand, in BIOS that wakes it up is the
    keyboard power on setting. I now that doesn't bother my K7S5A Pro in
    hibernate but I don't know what effect it a USB keyboard might have (or if
    that function even works with one).

    If you have any PCI and/or USB devices, remove all of them and see if it
    hibernates without them.

Homebuilt Hibernate Shutdown Windows XP Systems