Imaging New Master Boot Drive

I've got a couple of questions about replacing my current master boot
drive with a larger drive. The questions deal with imaging and deciding
partition size. I'd be moving from a 60gb to a 160gb drive. It's an
NTFS, cable select system.

I've got a 2-year old Dell Dimension 4550, 2.4gHz, 1gb ram. It runs
WinXPHome, SP2.

(It came with a 60gb hd (Maxtor, I think), and a DVD-ROM and CD-RW on the
secondary IDE. I've since added an 80gb Western hd as a slave on the
primary IDE, and replaced the CD-RW with a Plextor 708a DVD/+-RW burner.)

Current config is:

Primary IDE
C: 60gb Maxtor hd master, contains OS and applications
D: 80gb Western hd slave, contains data files, i.e. mp3, jpg

Secondary IDE
E: LiteOn DVD-ROM
F: Plextor DVD+-/RW

I just got a new Seagate 160gb Ultra ATA/100 hd. I'd like to image my
current OS from the Maxtor to this new Seagate. I assume the process is
like this:

remove the Western on D:
connect the Seagate on D:

At this point, I don't know what type of partition I should make.
Do I partition as a slave? As a master with a boot record?

I'm familiar with, and have used, WindowsXP Disk Manage to partition and
format new drives. Should I use it to do this, or does an imaging
application include one that should be used instead? Does it matter?

What is the best imaging application to use for imaging? Partition
Magic/Norton Ghost?

What are your comments on number of partitions? On the one hand, I don't
like to see lots of drive letters in Explorer, and it makes it hard to
manage and remember where files are, but on the other hand, once the
160gb drive starts to get filled, defragging a multipartion drive is
quicker.

Once partitioned, I'd remove the original Maxtor on C:, and replace it
with the new Seagate. I'd then put the Western back on D:, and move any
files on it to the new C:. I'd have the original Maxtor set aside, and
in case I have any problems, I can re-connect it.

Thanks for any advice,
Bruce
6 answers Last reply
More about imaging master boot drive

    Bruce wrote:

    > What is the best imaging application to use for imaging? Partition
    > Magic/Norton Ghost?

    Casper XP

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    Bruce <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote:

    If you haven't already, stop what you're doing and take the time to
    make a current removable media copy of all your important files.

    >I've got a couple of questions about replacing my current master
    >boot drive with a larger drive. The questions deal with imaging
    >and deciding partition size. I'd be moving from a 60gb to a 160gb
    >drive. It's an NTFS, cable select system.
    >
    >I've got a 2-year old Dell Dimension 4550, 2.4gHz, 1gb ram. It
    >runs WinXPHome, SP2.
    >
    >(It came with a 60gb hd (Maxtor, I think), and a DVD-ROM and CD-RW
    >on the secondary IDE. I've since added an 80gb Western hd as a
    >slave on the primary IDE, and replaced the CD-RW with a Plextor
    >708a DVD/+-RW burner.)
    >
    >Current config is:
    >
    >Primary IDE
    >C: 60gb Maxtor hd master, contains OS and applications
    >D: 80gb Western hd slave, contains data files, i.e. mp3, jpg
    >
    >Secondary IDE
    >E: LiteOn DVD-ROM
    >F: Plextor DVD+-/RW
    >
    >I just got a new Seagate 160gb Ultra ATA/100 hd. I'd like to image
    >my current OS from the Maxtor to this new Seagate. I assume the
    >process is like this:
    >
    >remove the Western on D:
    >connect the Seagate on D:
    >
    >At this point, I don't know what type of partition I should make.
    >Do I partition as a slave? As a master with a boot record?
    >
    >I'm familiar with, and have used, WindowsXP Disk Manage to
    >partition and format new drives. Should I use it to do this, or
    >does an imaging application include one that should be used
    >instead? Does it matter?
    >
    >What is the best imaging application to use for imaging? Partition
    >Magic/Norton Ghost?

    PartitionMagic revolutionized (in my little world) the way I use a
    personal computer. But using PartitionMagic to its fullest potential
    is problematic with Windows XP, in my experience.

    I think you will do fine with whatever imaging application. Others
    know better about imaging to removable media.

    >What are your comments on number of partitions? On the one hand, I
    >don't like to see lots of drive letters in Explorer, and it makes
    >it hard to manage and remember where files are, but on the other
    >hand, once the 160gb drive starts to get filled, defragging a
    >multipartion drive is quicker.

    That is a fun question. Others have other opinions.

    I would do this.
    .... make one partition for Windows XP plus most favorite
    applications plus however much more space you might need for
    everything else
    .... make a big partition large enough for
    noncritical files, like temporary storage, downloaded program files,
    and multimedia files
    .... make another partition the same size as
    your largest removable media, I guess that would be 4GB or so to
    match your writable DVD drive media... on this partition goes
    hardware drivers, personal files (anything you produce, your work),
    difficult to find software, and anything else you need to back up

    So you end up with three partitions, one for Windows/applications
    (at the beginning of your disk), one for temporary and downloaded
    stuff (big), and one for important files you back up from time to
    time (this one's size matches your recordable DVD size, and it goes
    at the end of your disk).

    While you install Windows, clone the installation in case you mess
    up. There's nothing else like incremental backups when doing a
    careful installation/configuration. Make sure they will copy back
    correctly. Stop doing backups once you get your most important
    programs installed and configured.

    Good luck.

    >Once partitioned, I'd remove the original Maxtor on C:, and replace
    >it with the new Seagate. I'd then put the Western back on D:, and
    >move any files on it to the new C:. I'd have the original Maxtor
    >set aside, and in case I have any problems, I can re-connect it.
    >
    >Thanks for any advice,
    >Bruce

    Bruce:
    > What is the best imaging application to use for imaging? Partition
    > Magic/Norton Ghost?

    I did the exact same on 4550 recently and I used the Maxtor utility, easy,
    worked perfectly.
    --
    Mac Cool

    Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote:
    >Bruce:

    >> What is the best imaging application to use for imaging?
    >> Partition Magic/Norton Ghost?
    >
    >I did the exact same on 4550 recently and I used the Maxtor
    >utility, easy, worked perfectly.

    On Windows XP? Does that include a successful restoration? Mainly
    curious. Thanks.

    Mac Cool <Mac@2cool.com> wrote in

    > Bruce:
    >> What is the best imaging application to use for imaging? Partition
    >> Magic/Norton Ghost?
    >
    > I did the exact same on 4550 recently and I used the Maxtor utility,
    > easy, worked perfectly.

    Does that utility come with the 4550?

    You made an image with it, or just partitioned the new drive?

    Bruce

    Bruce:

    >> I did the exact same on 4550 recently and I used the Maxtor utility,
    >> easy, worked perfectly.
    >
    > Does that utility come with the 4550?

    SOFTWARE
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198
    b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%
    20Drives&downloadID=19

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/4ab7y

    > You made an image with it, or just partitioned the new drive?

    https://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?
    p_faqid=1366

    You can make partitions but unless I'm mistaken you will have to ghost
    the entire original drive to a single partition and then move things
    after. You also may need to reenter serial numbers for some programs
    after ghosting.
    --
    Mac Cool

Homebuilt Systems