Internet Explorer

I noticed that my Win Me laptop has 8 files missing in Internet
Explores 6 SP1 with updates KB 891711 and KB823559. They are;
ckcnv.exe
enshig.dll
iemigrat.dll
msoss.dll
reasig.dll
shdoc401.dll
win.com
wsock32n.dll

What's the best way to fix this? Do I try a Repair or am I better to
Restore to a previous version and then update again ?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

Dan,

What makes you think that these files are missing or part of a Win Me/IE6
SP1 install? Most if not all are not but rather found in older operating
systems such as Win 98SE.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:

> I noticed that my Win Me laptop has 8 files missing in Internet
> Explores 6 SP1 with updates KB 891711 and KB823559. They are;
> ckcnv.exe
> enshig.dll
> iemigrat.dll
> msoss.dll
> reasig.dll
> shdoc401.dll
> win.com
> wsock32n.dll
>
> What's the best way to fix this? Do I try a Repair or am I better to
> Restore to a previous version and then update again ?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the quick response Mike.
Every once in a while I get on my wife's laptop to see why it's so
sloooooow. I do weekly maintenance on it. Have Avast and run AdAware
and Spybot, delete TIF and Temp, and do a Defrag. Despite all the
tweaking, it just doesn't improve. In a Defrag this week it was
indicating only 16% free space, which made no sense because the
computer is only used for e-mails and some surfing. Purged SR , did
all the regular weekly stuff and upon reboot, it was back to approx
60% free. Tonight I was checking to see if something was running in
the background when I came upon these files that were showing as <FILE
NOT PRESENT> so I checked on my Win 98SE desktop and those files were
all present. Hence the request.
If that's not it, I'll continue looking at various settings at my own
pace and will of course come back and ask before I do something
stupid, I think. Again thanks for responding.
Regards
Dan
> Dan,
>
> What makes you think that these files are missing or part of a Win
Me/IE6
> SP1 install? Most if not all are not but rather found in older
operating
> systems such as Win 98SE.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:
>
> > I noticed that my Win Me laptop has 8 files missing in Internet
> > Explores 6 SP1 with updates KB 891711 and KB823559. They are;
> > ckcnv.exe
> > enshig.dll
> > iemigrat.dll
> > msoss.dll
> > reasig.dll
> > shdoc401.dll
> > win.com
> > wsock32n.dll
> >
> > What's the best way to fix this? Do I try a Repair or am I better
> > Restore to a previous version and then update again ?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

Dan,

As I mentioned earlier none of the files you mentioned in your original
post are part of the Win Me operating system although they are found on
older systems such as Win 98SE. Could you remind me where it is when
running Win Me that you are told these files are missing?

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response Mike.
> Every once in a while I get on my wife's laptop to see why it's so
> sloooooow. I do weekly maintenance on it. Have Avast and run AdAware
> and Spybot, delete TIF and Temp, and do a Defrag. Despite all the
> tweaking, it just doesn't improve. In a Defrag this week it was
> indicating only 16% free space, which made no sense because the
> computer is only used for e-mails and some surfing. Purged SR , did
> all the regular weekly stuff and upon reboot, it was back to approx
> 60% free. Tonight I was checking to see if something was running in
> the background when I came upon these files that were showing as <FILE
> NOT PRESENT> so I checked on my Win 98SE desktop and those files were
> all present. Hence the request.
> If that's not it, I'll continue looking at various settings at my own
> pace and will of course come back and ask before I do something
> stupid, I think. Again thanks for responding.
> Regards

Mike
In MSINFO32/Internet Explorer/File Version
If these files are part of an older operating system, what are they
doing in Windows Me, since this is the only O/S this laptop has ever
had ?

Also in MSINFO32, under the Software/Drivers, all eight drivers listed
as type Kernel indicate NOT AVAILABLE under STATE and STATUS. Don't
know if that is significant.

Thanks for any enlightenment you may provide.

Dan

> Dan,
>
> As I mentioned earlier none of the files you mentioned in your
original
> post are part of the Win Me operating system although they are found
on
> older systems such as Win 98SE. Could you remind me where it is
when
> running Win Me that you are told these files are missing?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the quick response Mike.
> > Every once in a while I get on my wife's laptop to see why it's so
> > sloooooow. I do weekly maintenance on it. Have Avast and run
AdAware
> > and Spybot, delete TIF and Temp, and do a Defrag. Despite all the
> > tweaking, it just doesn't improve. In a Defrag this week it was
> > indicating only 16% free space, which made no sense because the
> > computer is only used for e-mails and some surfing. Purged SR ,
did
> > all the regular weekly stuff and upon reboot, it was back to
approx
> > 60% free. Tonight I was checking to see if something was running
in
> > the background when I came upon these files that were showing as
<FILE
> > NOT PRESENT> so I checked on my Win 98SE desktop and those files
were
> > all present. Hence the request.
> > If that's not it, I'll continue looking at various settings at my
own
> > pace and will of course come back and ask before I do something
> > stupid, I think. Again thanks for responding.
> > Regards

Dan,

I'm not quite certain you want or need me to say this again <vbg> but the
files you mention ARE NOT PART of the Win Me operating system but rather
used in earlier operating systems such as Win 98SE some of which are
involved when upgrading from IE5. You do NOT need these files, your
system does NOT need these files and their absence has nothing to do with
any problems you may be experiencing.

Cheers,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:

> Mike
> In MSINFO32/Internet Explorer/File Version
> If these files are part of an older operating system, what are they
> doing in Windows Me, since this is the only O/S this laptop has ever
> had ?
>
> Also in MSINFO32, under the Software/Drivers, all eight drivers listed
> as type Kernel indicate NOT AVAILABLE under STATE and STATUS. Don't
> know if that is significant.
>
> Thanks for any enlightenment you may provide.

Hear ya loud and clear !!!!
Thanks again.

Dan

> Dan,
>
> I'm not quite certain you want or need me to say this again <vbg>
but the
> files you mention ARE NOT PART of the Win Me operating system but
rather
> used in earlier operating systems such as Win 98SE some of which are
> involved when upgrading from IE5. You do NOT need these files, your
> system does NOT need these files and their absence has nothing to do
with
> any problems you may be experiencing.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike
> > In MSINFO32/Internet Explorer/File Version
> > If these files are part of an older operating system, what are
they
> > doing in Windows Me, since this is the only O/S this laptop has
ever
> > had ?
> >
> > Also in MSINFO32, under the Software/Drivers, all eight drivers
listed
> > as type Kernel indicate NOT AVAILABLE under STATE and STATUS.
Don't
> > know if that is significant.
> >
> > Thanks for any enlightenment you may provide.

Dapper Dan <dapperdan@home.com> wrote:

> Hear ya loud and clear !!!!
> Thanks again.

<VBG>