Residential Gateways

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 5, 2005 12:25:04 AM

Help! I am trying to assist my daughter, who is in college
and lives 10 hours away, with her Win ME computer. Ever
since she downloaded the free Sun Microsystems Office
software, anytime she signs on to the internet (cable
provided), she gets lots of pop up windows stating that a
new residential gateway device has been detected. Sometimes
they have names, like "Program Directory Service Device
TSIDELL". Well, she completely erased and reformatted her
hard drive, did a clean install of Win Me and all drivers,
etc, but the numerous residential gateways persist. They
are located in her My Network Places folder. She is worried
that this is a security breach, and is afraid to go to her
bank online and enter any login ID's or passwords. I did
find something on the Knowledge Base, but removing
Universal Plug and Play does not seem to be the answer, and
we did remove Client for Microsoft Networks, to no avail. I
can't help but think that something in the registry is
causing this to happen.
Does anyone here have a suggestion? Thanks so very much.
-Kristi in California

More about : residential gateways

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:07:57 AM

Hi Kristi,

Sounds like those "Residential Gateways" are actually other students'
computers on the campus network. It doesn't sound like a problem but
your daughter should have a firewall installed (as should everybody);
the only networking components should be TCP/IP and the Network Card.

Her Network Administrator (or whoever does the campus Internet Tech
Support) should be able to give her the complete answer, though.

Rick

Kristi wrote:
> Help! I am trying to assist my daughter, who is in college
> and lives 10 hours away, with her Win ME computer. Ever
> since she downloaded the free Sun Microsystems Office
> software, anytime she signs on to the internet (cable
> provided), she gets lots of pop up windows stating that a
> new residential gateway device has been detected. Sometimes
> they have names, like "Program Directory Service Device
> TSIDELL". Well, she completely erased and reformatted her
> hard drive, did a clean install of Win Me and all drivers,
> etc, but the numerous residential gateways persist. They
> are located in her My Network Places folder. She is worried
> that this is a security breach, and is afraid to go to her
> bank online and enter any login ID's or passwords. I did
> find something on the Knowledge Base, but removing
> Universal Plug and Play does not seem to be the answer, and
> we did remove Client for Microsoft Networks, to no avail. I
> can't help but think that something in the registry is
> causing this to happen.
> Does anyone here have a suggestion? Thanks so very much.
> -Kristi in California
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:07:58 AM

Hi, and thanks for your response. However, she is not in a
dorm. She is in her own apartment, and has cable internet
service. She does have Zone Alarm for firewall protection,
as well as Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search and Destroy, and the
Coolwebshredder. Now what?
-Kristi

April 5, 2005 4:07:58 AM

Also, she has private internet service, not part of the
university's network.
-Kristi

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:13:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

I think she should call up her ISP and ask... her modem has an incorrect
flag set of some kind, I imagine. Sounds like she can see other
computers in her immediate ISP (sub)domain.

I've crossposted this in the WindowsME networking where somebody with
more experience in that realm may be able to be more informative and/or
helpful (you can still read it in this newsgroup though).

Rick

xposted to .networking

Kristi wrote:
> Also, she has private internet service, not part of the
> university's network.
> -Kristi

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:59:47 PM

When she called her ISP, they told her that it was probably
spyware! I know it's not that. Besides, she has a few good
anti-spyware programs installed. Thank you so much for
crossposting. Hopefully we can get this problem solved one
way or another.

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:14:00 PM

In article <024a01c5398f$0ee08970$a601280a@phx.gbl>, Kristi says...

> Help! I am trying to assist my daughter, who is in college
> and lives 10 hours away, with her Win ME computer. Ever
> since she downloaded the free Sun Microsystems Office
> software, anytime she signs on to the internet (cable
> provided), she gets lots of pop up windows stating that a
> new residential gateway device has been detected. Sometimes
> they have names, like "Program Directory Service Device
> TSIDELL". Well, she completely erased and reformatted her
> hard drive, did a clean install of Win Me and all drivers,
> etc, but the numerous residential gateways persist. They
> are located in her My Network Places folder. She is worried
> that this is a security breach, and is afraid to go to her
> bank online and enter any login ID's or passwords. I did
> find something on the Knowledge Base, but removing
> Universal Plug and Play does not seem to be the answer, and
> we did remove Client for Microsoft Networks, to no avail. I
> can't help but think that something in the registry is
> causing this to happen.
> Does anyone here have a suggestion? Thanks so very much.

> ...she is not in a dorm. She is in her own apartment,
> and has cable internet service. She does have Zone Alarm
> for firewall protection, as well as Ad-Aware SE, Spybot
> Search and Destroy, and the Coolwebshredder. Now what?

> Also, she has private internet service, not part of the
> university's network.

She is not connecting through the University network?
You don't say, so I have to ask; does she have a wireless LAN?
She has Zone Alarm as a firewall. Well, something is not adding up...

Initially I would have favored that UPnP was somehow involved. I have two
such in My Network Places; each referring to a UPnP enabled router in my
LAN. I think I could get rid of them by first disabling UPnP in the routers,
then removing UPnP from Windows ME. The latter is done from the Control
Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windos Setup, Communications. I have 10 possible
components, of which 5, including UPnP, are enabled.

If she is not supposed to be part of a LAN, removing both "Client for
Microsoft Networks", and File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" is
reasonable.

Your description of the popups sounds very much like UPnP is active, and her
computer is finding UPnP enabled gateways. The only way I can conceive of
that happening when not on the University network is that she has a wireless
access point, and that her computer is associating to other wireless network
gateway devices. Perhaps you could supply a more detailed description of the
connection.

As an example, I an connected to the Internet via an ADSL modem. The modem
is connected to a router's WAN port, and two computers with wired
connections to the router's LAN ports. PPPoE authentication is done by the
router.

(Actually, it may be very similar to your setup! Assuming that your email
address is accurate; I am an SBC Yahoo! DSL Service customer in the
pacbell.net domain.)

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Hi Norman,
This is her setup: She does not live on campus, and her
connection not part of the university's LAN. She has cable
internet service, privately paid for by herself, and her
computer is plugged into the cable modem (not a wireless
system). We did uncheck 'client for microsoft networks'.
She was previously living in the dorms, where she did use
the school's connection. However, she moved last year and
was using dial-up service until recently, when she signed
on with cable. That's when the problems started happening.
She went so far as to re-format her computer and re-install
Windows, as well as re-installing her ethernet driver -
this after the cable tech support told her that the problem
was on her end (spyware).
It's so frustrating!
-Kristi

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:15:41 PM

While in the Network window, have her left click once on the Ethernet
Adapter she is using in the list, then left click once on the Properties
button. You will get another window for TCP/IP Properties, select the
"Gateway" tab. There should be no IP address or Subnet Mask listed. There
should be a 'bullet' next to "Obtain an IP address automatically."

I am thinking there may be another addy listed on the Gateway tab bringing
up the notification boxes.
NOTE: Be sure to write down any entries, prior to removal, in case they
need to be added back.
Heirloom, old and may be obtained automatically

"Kristi" <kac61810@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Norman,
> This is her setup: She does not live on campus, and her
> connection not part of the university's LAN. She has cable
> internet service, privately paid for by herself, and her
> computer is plugged into the cable modem (not a wireless
> system). We did uncheck 'client for microsoft networks'.
> She was previously living in the dorms, where she did use
> the school's connection. However, she moved last year and
> was using dial-up service until recently, when she signed
> on with cable. That's when the problems started happening.
> She went so far as to re-format her computer and re-install
> Windows, as well as re-installing her ethernet driver -
> this after the cable tech support told her that the problem
> was on her end (spyware).
> It's so frustrating!
> -Kristi

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:01:20 AM

We have actually checked this during our initial
troubleshooting process, and no IP address or Subnet Mask
is listed. Also, "Obtain IP address automatically" is
checked. About ready to give up! Is this strange, or what?!?
Thanks for your help ;-) - Kristi

April 6, 2005 4:42:44 PM

Sorry that was of no help........just a swag on my part.
Heirloom, old and can't win them all

> We have actually checked this during our initial
> troubleshooting process, and no IP address or Subnet Mask
> is listed. Also, "Obtain IP address automatically" is
> checked. About ready to give up! Is this strange, or what?!?
> Thanks for your help ;-) - Kristi

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 7:22:01 PM

In article <070901c53a28$53dfb5c0$a601280a@phx.gbl>, Kristi says...

> This is her setup: She does not live on campus, and her
> connection not part of the university's LAN. She has cable
> internet service, privately paid for by herself, and her
> computer is plugged into the cable modem (not a wireless
> system). We did uncheck 'client for microsoft networks'.
> She was previously living in the dorms, where she did use
> the school's connection. However, she moved last year and
> was using dial-up service until recently, when she signed
> on with cable. That's when the problems started happening.
> She went so far as to re-format her computer and re-install
> Windows, as well as re-installing her ethernet driver -
> this after the cable tech support told her that the problem
> was on her end (spyware).
> It's so frustrating!

Yes, it would be. Does she have a firewall active? Computer directly
connected to the modem. Which cable service? I believe that many now assign
their customers a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255; essentially just a single
IP address in the subnet. But, if the subnet mask is larger, the adjacent IP
addresses within that subnet mask could form a network.

Hmmm. Windows ME computer connected directly to a cable modem. Do you know
which model of modem? Oh, well. I was wondering if a check of the modem docs
might help.

At this point, I am willing to suggest that she add a broadband router to
the mix. I'd go with a Netgear, but I have a friend with a D-Link DI-704UP
which works well. The final "UP" means that it has a USB printer port. There
is also a DI-704P, which has a parallel printer port. I've had an SMC
Barricade 7004BR, and now my Netgear FR114P, both with the parallel print
server. Very nice; the two Windows ME computers are able to share an HP
LaserJet 5P, without have to leave a computer on.

http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=272

As configured on my friend's system, the router blocks unsolicited inbound
packets. From looking over his configuration manual, it pretty much does
what my Netgear FR114P does. It traps UPnP activity on the LAN side of the
router; if both the router, and the computer have UPnP enable. It works
without UPnP enabled, as well. It will work with just one computer. The only
residential gateway that her computer should discover while behind the
router, is the router, itself; and then, only if the router has UPnP
enabled. I believe that the router will keep her from seeing any other
residential gateways; and, with UPnP disabled on the router (which is
default, I think), she should never see another residential gateway pop up.

--
!