ATI AIW 9800 Pro was a bad choice

Gene

I have put together a new machine consisting of...
Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB
2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
4 WD 74gb Raptors (2-raid 0, 2-raid 1)
2 WD 200gb 7200 (raid 1)
2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
Windows XP SP2
I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate speed
and capacity and is a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been using

Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
On paper the board has all of the features I am looking for, but on deliver,
it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a standard
graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable.

What other video hardware should I consider in addition to or in replacement
of existing gear that will allow recording & playback of DVD or cable
sources?

Thanks,
Gene

"Gene" <gjsnider@swbell.net> wrote in message
>I have put together a new machine consisting of...
> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB
> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
> 4 WD 74gb Raptors (2-raid 0, 2-raid 1)
> 2 WD 200gb 7200 (raid 1)
> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
> Windows XP SP2
> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate
> speed and capacity and is a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been
> using
>
> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
> On paper the board has all of the features I am looking for, but on
> deliver, it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a
> standard graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable.
>
> What other video hardware should I consider in addition to or in
> replacement of existing gear that will allow recording & playback of DVD
> or cable sources?
>
> Thanks,
> Gene

My wife's system would be similar to yours if you took out some of your hard
drives and deleted one of your DVD burners. We use it all the time for
recording Dish Network (mostly showtime movies) and playing them back
through our entertainment center. We also burn some shows to DVD for
longer-term storage. No problems at all. The cards we are using:

Chaintech brand FX5900XT video card
Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Expert video capture card (with Winfast PVR
software)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card (for the audio playback)

If these cards work great on our system (same chipset on the mainboard, same
processor, similar RAM), they should work great on yours. -Dave

"Gene" <gjsnider@swbell.net> wrote in message
> I have put together a new machine consisting of...
> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB
> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
> 4 WD 74gb Raptors (2-raid 0, 2-raid 1)
> 2 WD 200gb 7200 (raid 1)
> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
> Windows XP SP2
> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate
speed
> and capacity and is a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been using
>
> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
> On paper the board has all of the features I am looking for, but on
deliver,
> it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a standard
> graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable.
>
> What other video hardware should I consider in addition to or in
replacement
> of existing gear that will allow recording & playback of DVD or cable
> sources?
>
> Thanks,
> Gene

You have an installation problem. If you post to
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati you should be able to get it resolved.

dos

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Gene" <gjsnider@swbell.net> wrote in message
> > I have put together a new machine consisting of...
> > Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB
> > 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
> > 4 WD 74gb Raptors (2-raid 0, 2-raid 1)
> > 2 WD 200gb 7200 (raid 1)
> > 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
> > 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
> > Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
> > 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
> > Windows XP SP2
> > I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate
> speed
> > and capacity and is a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been using
> >
> > Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon
Pro.
> > On paper the board has all of the features I am looking for, but on
> deliver,
> > it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a standard
> > graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable.
> >
> > What other video hardware should I consider in addition to or in
> replacement
> > of existing gear that will allow recording & playback of DVD or cable
> > sources?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gene
> >

> You have an installation problem. If you post to
> alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati you should be able to get it resolved.

WOW, you are a tru
e genius....

jad

Question if it were the fault of all 9800's, why have we not 50000
people in here complaining about the same stuff. If a nvidia card is
improperly installed it won't work either or will be unstable. So the
suggestions to dump it and get nvidia or anything else is NOT the
answer. I have a 9700 pro and a 7500 AIW, had them for years, both
work perfectly. one on XP the other on WinME so what makes my OS
different than yours?

"Gene" <gjsnider@swbell.net> wrote in message
> I have put together a new machine consisting of...
> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB
> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
> 4 WD 74gb Raptors (2-raid 0, 2-raid 1)
> 2 WD 200gb 7200 (raid 1)
> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
> Windows XP SP2
> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has
adequate speed
> and capacity and is a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been
using

> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon
Pro.
> On paper the board has all of the features I am looking for, but on
deliver,
> it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a
standard
> graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable.
>
> What other video hardware should I consider in addition to or in
replacement
> of existing gear that will allow recording & playback of DVD or
cable
> sources?
>
> Thanks,
> Gene

"Gene" <gjsnider@swbell.net> wrote in message
> I have put together a new machine consisting of...
> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB
> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
> 4 WD 74gb Raptors (2-raid 0, 2-raid 1)
> 2 WD 200gb 7200 (raid 1)
> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
> Windows XP SP2
> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate
speed
> and capacity and is a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been using
>
> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
> On paper the board has all of the features I am looking for, but on
deliver,
> it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a standard
> graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable.
>
> What other video hardware should I consider in addition to or in
replacement
> of existing gear that will allow recording & playback of DVD or cable
> sources?
>
> Thanks,
> Gene

What make of PSU? That spec needs about 450W. Have you updated drivers,
ones on CD are always very old and often version 1.0?
MIke.

"doS" <kobo65@hotLEGSmail.com> wrote in message
> WOW, you are a tru
> e genius....

Genius enough to know that asswipes go in the killfile toilet.

Relic

T Shadow wrote:
> "doS" <kobo65@hotLEGSmail.com> wrote in message
>> WOW, you are a tru
>> e genius....
>>

> Genius enough to know that asswipes go in the killfile toilet.

I agree.

*PLONK*

--
Honey, you stick to the washin',
ironin', cookin', and scrubbin'.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

T Shadow spewed out this bit, and i'll scatter a few bits myself :

> "doS" <kobo65@hotLEGSmail.com> wrote in message
>> WOW, you are a tru
>> e genius....
>>

> Genius enough to know that asswipes go in the killfile toilet.

*PLONK*

--
Mhzjunkie

Programmer: alt.os.windows-xp
1 PRINT "Windows XP ERROR"
GOTO 1
END

Sam

Sometime on, or about Sat, 08 Jan 2005 01:56:07 GMT, Gene wrote:

> I have put together a new machine consisting of...
> Intel D865PERL + 3.0ghz P4 w/800mhz FSB
> 2gb Corsair TwinX XMS 2-2-2-5
> 4 WD 74gb Raptors (2-raid 0, 2-raid 1)
> 2 WD 200gb 7200 (raid 1)
> 2 Plextor 712 DVD burners
> 1 Mitsumi card reader w/floppy
> Logitech/Bluetooth wireless kbd & mouse
> 1 Lian Li 6077 case, 550w PSU + 8 fans
> Windows XP SP2
> I am pleased with this endeavour. It is fault tolerant, has adequate speed
> and capacity and is a major step up from the 733mhz P3 I had been using
>
> Then I spoiled it all by installing an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Radeon Pro.
> On paper the board has all of the features I am looking for, but on deliver,
> it REALLY sux the big one. When any features above that of a standard
> graphics card are used, it makes the system unstable.
>
> What other video hardware should I consider in addition to or in replacement
> of existing gear that will allow recording & playback of DVD or cable
> sources?
>
> Thanks,
> Gene

With all those drives I hope you have a really powerful and stable power
supply. I use a 460w PSU for just 2hd's, 2 optical drives and the ATI X800
pro. IMHO, I'd be thinking in the range of at least a 550w device from a
known manufacturer. These ATI video cards are drawing extra power too and
it might be just enough to put your system over the edge.

Sam
--
To mail me, please get rid of the BS first