Colour Laser vs Ink Jet re: cost

With the current drop in price of colour lasers, are they now more cost
effective than the much cheaper ink-jets which must use more expensive
photo-paper for decent hardcopy? Has anyone used colour lasers for
digital photographic albums?

thanks in advance
John K
--
e-mail address aq0731@freenet.carleton.ca

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

"John Katic" <aq073@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> With the current drop in price of colour lasers, are they now more cost
> effective than the much cheaper ink-jets which must use more expensive
> photo-paper for decent hardcopy? Has anyone used colour lasers for
> digital photographic albums?
>
> thanks in advance
> John K
> --
> e-mail address aq0731@freenet.carleton.ca

Low end color laser is not up to par for printing photographs. However, it's
excellent for general applications without worrying about ink wasting
cleaning cycles or head clogs or using expensive coated paper. I personally
have an Okidata 5100N (color laser), Epson R200 (ink-jet) but I routinely
print 4x6 and 12x16 at local Costco. I don't use the R200 much due to the
cost of ink, except for instant gratification.

Although color laser printers are continuing to improve, IMHO, they are
not quite ready for prime time, if you want true photo-quality from
them. They have many advantages, such as very permanent color (the
toner is pigment and plastic and they tend to be very stable), and the
per print cost is probably a bit cheaper, and they are definitely faster
once they get going, for multiple copies, but the quality is still not
quite photographic. I find two problems. One is the toners tend to
either be glossy or matte, or something in between, but they do not
alter vastly on different paper surfaces. If you use a high gloss clay
coated paper, even the glossy toners will appear semigloss, and
obviously of a different surface than the "white" glossy showing through.

If you use a matte paper on a machine with glossy or semigloss toners,
the white will be much more matte than the toner areas. The best seems
to be very matte toners on matte papers.

Another issue is cost. One of the ways manufacturers have dropped the
cost of the printers is by limiting memory (an option) and reducing the
amount of toner they sell you with the initial purchase, and then
getting you on the cost of replacement cartridges. They will usually
quote 5% coverage per color, which is not much more than a half filled
typed page. A photo image may be 30-60% per color coverage. Also, mid
grays can tend to be tined if they are made up of overlay of CMY toners.

Laser printers have their place, for sure. They are great for
reproducing graphic art images, water colors, etc. as they tend to have
brighter and more punchy and contrasty colors. The toners lack
transparency, so build up diminishes the result. For photographic
images, they still don't have the finesse and control that some inkjet
printers can provide.

I find that laminating color laser output, which slightly melts the
toner and diffuses it, makes the images look better and evens out the
surface gloss.

Art

John Katic wrote:

> With the current drop in price of colour lasers, are they now more cost
> effective than the much cheaper ink-jets which must use more expensive
> photo-paper for decent hardcopy? Has anyone used colour lasers for
> digital photographic albums?
>
> thanks in advance
> John K
> --
> e-mail address aq0731@freenet.carleton.ca

and what about with common non-photographic artwork (i.e...comics,
cartoons)? Or heck, photographic work where decent quality is needed,
but not top photographic qualitly? Are they good enough to surpass the
quality of a Xerox of Cannon high end printshop quality laser color
photocopy/printer?

I just bought a B&W laser and I'm starting to wonder, with the lower
cost of laser printing for B&W, is that the case with color laser as
compared to color inkjet? Is the color catridge going to work out to be
significantly cheaper, thus price per page is lower?

Thanks for helping a newbie.