playing wma music files from storage cards

a b G Storage
August 17, 2004 7:18:00 PM

I'm new to pocket pc's- i have a t-mobile pocket pc that
comes with 32Mb of space. I added a 64Mb storage card to
store and play downloaded music. When I copy the music to
the pocket pc, WMP plays it just fine, but when i try to
copy it to the storage card, i get a license error that
restricts backup.
Question...
Is there any software that will treat my storage card as
part of the main memory or a way to encode the files in a
format that can be played on my pocket pc from storage
card.

thanks in advance
..
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 18, 2004 3:39:32 AM

"kevin" <kevarn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to pocket pc's- i have a t-mobile pocket pc that
> comes with 32Mb of space. I added a 64Mb storage card to
> store and play downloaded music. When I copy the music to
> the pocket pc, WMP plays it just fine, but when i try to
> copy it to the storage card, i get a license error that
> restricts backup.
> Question...
> Is there any software that will treat my storage card as
> part of the main memory or a way to encode the files in a
> format that can be played on my pocket pc from storage
> card.
>
> thanks in advance
> .

This is really down to your choice of music format.

If it is licensed then it should stop you copying the music to other types-
that would breach your terms of use.
If you use music you have encoded yourself in something like mp3 you
wouldn't get such restrictions.

But you chose otherwise.
August 18, 2004 3:54:41 AM

AlanS wrote:

> This is really down to your choice of music format.
>
> If it is licensed then it should stop you copying the music to other types-
> that would breach your terms of use.
> If you use music you have encoded yourself in something like mp3 you
> wouldn't get such restrictions.
>
> But you chose otherwise.

Try opeing up media player on your pc (when your pocketpc is pluged in
to active sync) and copy the music to the storage card using media player.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

copy directly to the storage card in the "my documents"
folder. Is there any way to convert these files from wma
to mp3 or is there a way to make my storage card apear as
part of main memory instead of backup?

thanks guys if you can help
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 18, 2004 3:54:43 AM

Couple of different questions there. No it is not possible to make the
storage card seem as RAM, but I don't understand what you mean by backup. It
is seen as storage. If the method you use to download is compatible with the
MS media licensing system then you should be able to transfer the music to
the SD card via the music software or Media Player. For example, music that
I downloaded from the Napster music service (the legitimate one) can be
copied directly to the SD card in my PPC using the desktop Media Player and
played on that PPC. I cannot however move that SD card to another PPC and
play the files. It's licensed to the PPC I copied it to. I also can't use
an SD card reader, as the file would be licensed to the PC the card reader
is attached to. PITA, but that's the way it works.

CDs you buy and rip, with rights management turned off, you can copy to
wherever you want however you want, and play them on whatever you want. Do
it legally though, or they'll find a way to fix that.

Not sure why you would want to convert from WMA to MP3, that would certainly
invite loss, and typically make larger files. It would not resolve any
licensing issues.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

> [...]
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 18, 2004 3:54:44 AM

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Couple of different questions there. No it is not possible to make the
> storage card seem as RAM, but I don't understand what you mean by backup.
It
> is seen as storage. If the method you use to download is compatible with
the
> MS media licensing system then you should be able to transfer the music to
> the SD card via the music software or Media Player. For example, music
that
> I downloaded from the Napster music service (the legitimate one) can be
> copied directly to the SD card in my PPC using the desktop Media Player
and
> played on that PPC. I cannot however move that SD card to another PPC and
> play the files. It's licensed to the PPC I copied it to. I also can't use
> an SD card reader, as the file would be licensed to the PC the card reader
> is attached to. PITA, but that's the way it works.
>
> CDs you buy and rip, with rights management turned off, you can copy to
> wherever you want however you want, and play them on whatever you want.
Do
> it legally though, or they'll find a way to fix that.
>
> Not sure why you would want to convert from WMA to MP3, that would
certainly
> invite loss, and typically make larger files. It would not resolve any
> licensing issues.

Huh?

Sure it would, it'd "resolve" them ALL by stripping
DRM completely...if you did NOT use WMP or
any MS software at all to do the conversion ;-)

but then you'd be in violation of the licensing agreement,
as you explained previously.

Depends on your definiton of "resolve", I guess.

> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 18, 2004 9:41:00 AM

It doesn't resolve licensing issues, it bypasses them. Even using the older
mp3 codecs you will need a file around double the size to get the same sound
quality as the wma file. If you don't like the file size convert it back to
wma- the DRM stuff has been stripped out. Yes it's two conversions,
audiophiles claim two losses, but it's not really noticeable. And if you are
that much of an audiophile you shouldn't use any compressed files- stick
with the wav files on real cd's.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Couple of different questions there. No it is not possible to make the
> storage card seem as RAM, but I don't understand what you mean by backup.
It
> is seen as storage. If the method you use to download is compatible with
the
> MS media licensing system then you should be able to transfer the music to
> the SD card via the music software or Media Player. For example, music
that
> I downloaded from the Napster music service (the legitimate one) can be
> copied directly to the SD card in my PPC using the desktop Media Player
and
> played on that PPC. I cannot however move that SD card to another PPC and
> play the files. It's licensed to the PPC I copied it to. I also can't use
> an SD card reader, as the file would be licensed to the PC the card reader
> is attached to. PITA, but that's the way it works.
>
> CDs you buy and rip, with rights management turned off, you can copy to
> wherever you want however you want, and play them on whatever you want.
Do
> it legally though, or they'll find a way to fix that.
>
> Not sure why you would want to convert from WMA to MP3, that would
certainly
> invite loss, and typically make larger files. It would not resolve any
> licensing issues.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

November 11, 2004 5:07:07 PM

This makes a lot of sense. I was using a USB card reader/writer to load up my
SD ram card with purchased music, then transferring it to the PPC. No wonder
it wasn't working since the PPC saw the card as belonging to a different
computer i.e. the one I loaded it from. Likewise when I load the SD card
while plugged in to my smartphone through ActiveSync the songs pass the DRM
check. The problem with the later method of loading the card is the speed. I
think burning a CD with the purchased music then ripping the music to my pc
and then synching to the SD card is what will work best. What a round about
way of doing things though.

!