Internet connection comes and goes...

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 17, 2005 1:40:03 PM

I've been helping a friend upgrade his system - put in a wireless network (2
laptops via a netgear router), got broadband, installed SP2. All is well
except one continuing problem........

We noticed the 'Internet connection' icon was missing in the bottom bar, and
we kept getting 'server error' on the first attempt to send e-mail from
outlook. If we then hit send/receive, the mail eventually went. Also, the
home page never displayed first time in MSIE, but did on refresh. I checked
network connection - wireless fine; LAN fine - but no Internet Gateway
connection displayed.
I played around with a few settings - no good, then disabled the WINDOWS
firewall and immediately the Internet Gateway Connection appeared in Network
Connections. I installed Zone Alarm temporarily and left the Windows
firewall off.
BUT - next day - nothing has been changed, (firewall still off) and the
Internet connection has disappeared again, along with the same problems with
sending mail, and displaying home page.
What's going on here ?? It seems that the connection won't stay put, but we
can get past it with a manual intervention in both Outlook and MSIE.

I'll be extremely grateful for any help - we're both going insane.
Incidentally - running XP SP2, and latest versions of MSIE, Outlook etc. The
wireless signal is 'Excellent', and the LAN seems fine.

--
carole UK

More about : internet connection

July 20, 2005 5:11:44 PM

Do you have your router set up to maintain the connection to the internet?

Open a command window and use the ipconfig /all command. Check for IP
addresses for things like gateway and that machines IP address and DNS
server addresses. Do they all seem logical? The gateway should be the
router, assuming you have it set to gateway and not router.

Clark

news:D CD23686-D252-4BBB-8E07-802FDD05E48A@microsoft.com...