Windows XP Professional won't stop trying to install!!!

Hi, I never downloaded this software yet everytime I
click my mouse or use a keystroke, I get a pop-up that
tries to install this to my computer. I can't get rid of
it and it's very annoying as it slows down computer
operations. Can you tell me how to stop this from
happening?

pam wang wrote:
> Hi, I never downloaded this software yet everytime I
> click my mouse or use a keystroke, I get a pop-up that
> tries to install this to my computer. I can't get rid of
> it and it's very annoying as it slows down computer
> operations. Can you tell me how to stop this from
> happening?
Per chance, do you happen to have a CD in your CD Drive? What operating
system [version of Windows] do you have installed?
--
Gene K

Windows XP is the operating system. Dell computer 2 years
old - used for personal use only (not professional). 3
users, 1 for remote access through secure VPN firewall to
my work. I may have a CD in the drive - I can't
remember. Do you think that may be the problem?

I had spyware on my computer and restored my system last
night to May 31, 2004 date to get rid of it. I had
downloaded spyware removal software but it didn't work
with what had taken over my IE default. The Spyware
appears to be gone and I thought this would also fix the
XP Professional problem but it is still happening.

Thanks for any help you can give.

pam wang wrote:
> Windows XP is the operating system. Dell computer 2 years
> old - used for personal use only (not professional). 3
> users, 1 for remote access through secure VPN firewall to
> my work. I may have a CD in the drive - I can't
> remember. Do you think that may be the problem?
>
> I had spyware on my computer and restored my system last
> night to May 31, 2004 date to get rid of it. I had
> downloaded spyware removal software but it didn't work
> with what had taken over my IE default. The Spyware
> appears to be gone and I thought this would also fix the
> XP Professional problem but it is still happening.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.

Pam,
The XP re-installation CD which Dell provided when you purchased the
computer is a bootable (or startup) CD. Dell provides via the BIOS settings
that when you start your computer; the computer looks first to the Floppy
Drive (A), secondly to the CD Drives (normally D & E, if you have have both
CD-ROM and CD-RW Drives, and last to the Hard Drive on which the OS is
installed (normally C). IF you have a bootable disc (as is the Disc provided
to you by Dell) in either of these Drives when you press the Power button to
start, what is happening is normal and will happen until you remove that
Disc. Check it.

--
Gene K