Windows XP Professional won't stop trying to install!!!

Hi, I never downloaded this software yet everytime I
click my mouse or use a keystroke, I get a pop-up that
tries to install this to my computer. I can't get rid of
it and it's very annoying as it slows down computer
operations. Can you tell me how to stop this from
happening?
3 answers Last reply
More about windows professional stop install

    pam wang wrote:
    > Hi, I never downloaded this software yet everytime I
    > click my mouse or use a keystroke, I get a pop-up that
    > tries to install this to my computer. I can't get rid of
    > it and it's very annoying as it slows down computer
    > operations. Can you tell me how to stop this from
    > happening?
    Per chance, do you happen to have a CD in your CD Drive? What operating
    system [version of Windows] do you have installed?
    --
    Gene K

    Windows XP is the operating system. Dell computer 2 years
    old - used for personal use only (not professional). 3
    users, 1 for remote access through secure VPN firewall to
    my work. I may have a CD in the drive - I can't
    remember. Do you think that may be the problem?

    I had spyware on my computer and restored my system last
    night to May 31, 2004 date to get rid of it. I had
    downloaded spyware removal software but it didn't work
    with what had taken over my IE default. The Spyware
    appears to be gone and I thought this would also fix the
    XP Professional problem but it is still happening.

    Thanks for any help you can give.

    pam wang wrote:
    > Windows XP is the operating system. Dell computer 2 years
    > old - used for personal use only (not professional). 3
    > users, 1 for remote access through secure VPN firewall to
    > my work. I may have a CD in the drive - I can't
    > remember. Do you think that may be the problem?
    >
    > I had spyware on my computer and restored my system last
    > night to May 31, 2004 date to get rid of it. I had
    > downloaded spyware removal software but it didn't work
    > with what had taken over my IE default. The Spyware
    > appears to be gone and I thought this would also fix the
    > XP Professional problem but it is still happening.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give.

    Pam,
    The XP re-installation CD which Dell provided when you purchased the
    computer is a bootable (or startup) CD. Dell provides via the BIOS settings
    that when you start your computer; the computer looks first to the Floppy
    Drive (A), secondly to the CD Drives (normally D & E, if you have have both
    CD-ROM and CD-RW Drives, and last to the Hard Drive on which the OS is
    installed (normally C). IF you have a bootable disc (as is the Disc provided
    to you by Dell) in either of these Drives when you press the Power button to
    start, what is happening is normal and will happen until you remove that
    Disc. Check it.

    --
    Gene K

Computers Windows XP