copy & paste

When i use the copy & paste function, my system copies the document
multiple times, instead of just once. When I attempt to paste the
document it shows up 4 or more times. How can I correct this?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1119898
19 answers Last reply
More about copy paste

    Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
    (onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the previous
    Copy.

    So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to Copy its
    contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.

    Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND you are
    using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
    guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple' connections
    for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive) copies
    of the clipboard into the document.

    Mart

    "kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > When i use the copy & paste function, my system copies the document
    > multiple times, instead of just once. When I attempt to paste the
    > document it shows up 4 or more times. How can I correct this?

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html

    Hey Mart & kpg,
    Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
    "copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression that
    the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy" procedure
    would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
    wrong.
    Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
    > (onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the previous
    > Copy.
    >
    > So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to Copy
    its
    > contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.
    >
    > Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND you
    are
    > using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
    > guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple'
    connections
    > for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive)
    copies
    > of the clipboard into the document.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > > When i use the copy & paste function, my system copies the document
    > > multiple times, instead of just once. When I attempt to paste the
    > > document it shows up 4 or more times. How can I correct this?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > > request
    > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    > > Topic URL:

    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1119898

    Hi HL, try this and see if it works for you :-

    Open a new Notepad.txt document, type in a couple of words, highlight them
    and (right-click) copy, then (right-click) and paste - a couple of times or
    so.

    Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps
    pasting.

    Even does it in OE <g>

    Mart

    "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > Hey Mart & kpg,
    > Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
    > "copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression
    > that
    > the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy"
    > procedure
    > would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
    > wrong.
    > Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
    >> (onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the
    >> previous
    >> Copy.
    >>
    >> So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to Copy
    > its
    >> contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.
    >>
    >> Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND you
    > are
    >> using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
    >> guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple'
    > connections
    >> for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive)
    > copies
    >> of the clipboard into the document.
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    >> > When i use the copy & paste function, my system copies the document
    >> > multiple times, instead of just once. When I attempt to paste the
    >> > document it shows up 4 or more times. How can I correct this?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    >> > request
    >> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    >> > Topic URL:
    >> >
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html
    >> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    >> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1119898

    Yep, mine will continue to paste the same item copied, until something else
    is put on the clipboard. However, it does require right-clicking and
    selecting 'Paste' from the popup menu. I just couldn't see how a faulty
    signal from the mouse could reproduce that error....have no idea what could,
    but, don't think it would be the mouse or a 'shift-insert' key combo. I
    would like to know what IS causing it...
    never heard of that one before.
    Heirloom, old and one is enough

    > Hi HL, try this and see if it works for you :-
    >
    > Open a new Notepad.txt document, type in a couple of words, highlight them
    > and (right-click) copy, then (right-click) and paste - a couple of times
    or
    > so.
    >
    > Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps
    > pasting.

    > Even does it in OE <g>
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey Mart & kpg,
    > > Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
    > > "copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression
    > > that
    > > the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy"
    > > procedure
    > > would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
    > > wrong.
    > > Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one
    > >
    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
    > >> (onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the
    > >> previous
    > >> Copy.
    > >>
    > >> So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to
    Copy
    > > its
    > >> contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.
    > >>
    > >> Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND
    you
    > > are
    > >> using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
    > >> guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple'
    > > connections
    > >> for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive)
    > > copies
    > >> of the clipboard into the document.
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html

    Also works with shortcuts (although re-names them if in same folder - e.g.
    desktop)
    And .jpg's but if I copy an .exe file it asks if I want to overwrite the
    first copy.

    Which is exactly as I expected.

    Mart

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi HL, try this and see if it works for you :-
    >
    > Open a new Notepad.txt document, type in a couple of words, highlight them
    > and (right-click) copy, then (right-click) and paste - a couple of times
    > or so.
    >
    > Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps
    > pasting.
    >
    > Even does it in OE <g>
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey Mart & kpg,
    >> Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
    >> "copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression
    >> that
    >> the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy"
    >> procedure
    >> would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
    >> wrong.
    >> Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one
    >>
    >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
    >>> (onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the
    >>> previous
    >>> Copy.
    >>>
    >>> So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to Copy
    >> its
    >>> contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.
    >>>
    >>> Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND you
    >> are
    >>> using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
    >>> guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple'
    >> connections
    >>> for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive)
    >> copies
    >>> of the clipboard into the document.
    >>>
    >>> Mart
    >>>

    >>> "kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

    >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html

    Yep, you're right KB, - not the mouse! BUT, if you use the shortcut keys
    (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V) then it is possible - by holding the Ctrl+V keys - to
    paste multiple copies.

    So, there's always the possibility of a very short 'Repeat Delay' setting
    for the key repetition speed - but that would show in other (normal) typing
    actions I suppose.

    Oh well - just a thought. Probably never know, unless kpg replies <g>

    > Yep, mine will continue to paste the same item copied, until something
    > else
    > is put on the clipboard. However, it does require right-clicking and
    > selecting 'Paste' from the popup menu. I just couldn't see how a faulty
    > signal from the mouse could reproduce that error....have no idea what
    > could,
    > but, don't think it would be the mouse or a 'shift-insert' key combo. I
    > would like to know what IS causing it...
    > never heard of that one before.
    > Heirloom, old and one is enough
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi HL, try this and see if it works for you :-
    >>
    >> Open a new Notepad.txt document, type in a couple of words, highlight
    >> them
    >> and (right-click) copy, then (right-click) and paste - a couple of times
    > or
    >> so.
    >>
    >> Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps
    >> pasting.
    >

    >> Even does it in OE <g>
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hey Mart & kpg,
    >> > Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
    >> > "copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression
    >> > that
    >> > the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy"
    >> > procedure
    >> > would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
    >> > wrong.
    >> > Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one
    >> >
    >> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > Copy
    >> > its

    > you
    >> > are
    >> > connections
    >> > copies

    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html

    Sorry HL, that first line was supposed to read :-

    "Yep, you're right! - Maybe the Keyboard, not the mouse! If you use the
    shortcut keys ...etc.,"

    Mart

    "Mart2" wrote:
> [...]
    > <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    >   >> >>
    >   >> >> > When i use the copy & paste function, my
    > system copies the document
    >   >> >> > multiple times, instead of just once. When
    > I attempt to paste the
    >   >> >> > document it shows up 4 or more times. How
    > can I correct this?
    >   >> >> >
    >   >> >> > --
    >   >> >> > Posted using the
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    >   >> >> > request
    >   >> >> > Articles individually checked for
    > conformance to usenet standards
    >   >> >> > Topic URL:
    >   >> >> >
    >   >> >
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html
    >   >> >> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.

    I use the shortcut keys. My mouse & keyboard are fine. I press the
    keys only once. Thanx for replying.

    Just for grins........it wouldn't hurt to swap out the keyboard for test
    purposes.
    Heirloom, old and narrowing it down

    > I use the shortcut keys. My mouse & keyboard are fine. I press the
    > keys only once. Thanx for replying.

    For sure! - There certainly appear to be some 'odd ball' characters in kpg's
    last message.

    For example, why has the Subject line suddenly changed?
    viz :- &

    > Just for grins........it wouldn't hurt to swap out the keyboard for test
    > purposes.
    > Heirloom, old and narrowing it down
    >

    >> I use the shortcut keys. My mouse & keyboard are fine. I press the
    >> keys only once. Thanx for replying.

    HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am right,
    grin.

    Cheers...Figgs

    > For sure! - There certainly appear to be some 'odd ball' characters in
    kpg's
    > last message.
    >
    > For example, why has the Subject line suddenly changed?
    > viz :- &
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Just for grins........it wouldn't hurt to swap out the keyboard for test
    > > purposes.
    > > Heirloom, old and narrowing it down
    > >

    > >> I use the shortcut keys. My mouse & keyboard are fine. I press the
    > >> keys only once. Thanx for replying.

    My money is on a flaky keyboard...........at least, it would be easy enough
    to prove.
    Heirloom, old and think I'm missing some keys

    "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am
    right,
    > grin.
    >
    > Cheers...Figgs
    >
    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > For sure! - There certainly appear to be some 'odd ball' characters in
    > kpg's
    > > last message.
    > >
    > > For example, why has the Subject line suddenly changed?
    > > viz :- &
    > >
    > > Mart
    > >

    > > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > Just for grins........it wouldn't hurt to swap out the keyboard for
    test
    > > > purposes.
    > > > Heirloom, old and narrowing it down

    Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other sort
    of hardware problem?

    Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his Message
    Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.

    But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR or LF
    character?

    > My money is on a flaky keyboard...........at least, it would be easy
    > enough
    > to prove.
    > Heirloom, old and think I'm missing some keys
    >
    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am
    > right,
    >> grin.
    >>
    >> Cheers...Figgs
    >>
    >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> > For sure! - There certainly appear to be some 'odd ball' characters in
    >> kpg's
    >> > last message.
    >> >
    >> > For example, why has the Subject line suddenly changed?
    >> > viz :- &
    >> >
    >> > Mart
    >> >

    >> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message

    > test

    I dunno, Mart. But I see them when I get email to my Cumberland Genealogy
    List coz we don't allow HTML.....and the software converts it. But I get a
    copy of the original. Seen it lots of times, but heck....you guys are the
    experts. (cough)

    Cheers...Heather 8-))

    > Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other
    sort
    > of hardware problem?
    >
    > Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his Message
    > Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.
    >
    > But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR or
    LF
    > character?
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    > > My money is on a flaky keyboard...........at least, it would be easy
    > > enough
    > > to prove.
    > > Heirloom, old and think I'm missing some keys
    > >
    > > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am
    > > right,
    > >> grin.
    > >>
    > >> Cheers...Figgs
    > >>
    > >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> kpg's

    > > test

    > ...you guys are the
    > experts. (cough)

    Not at all, Heather - I learn something on these groups every day <g>

    Like you, I usually have HTML turned off - but none of the (many) HTML
    emails that I have received looks anything like kpg's Message Source,
    especially all those "&NBSP;" entries. But you're probably right.

    Mart

    >I dunno, Mart. But I see them when I get email to my Cumberland Genealogy
    > List coz we don't allow HTML.....and the software converts it. But I get
    > copy of the original. Seen it lots of times, but heck....you guys are the
    > experts. (cough)
    >
    > Cheers...Heather 8-))
    >

    > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other
    > sort
    >> of hardware problem?
    >>
    >> Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his Message
    >> Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.
    >>
    >> But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR or
    > LF
    >> character?
    >>
    >> Mart
    >>

    >> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
    >> > My money is on a flaky keyboard...........at least, it would be easy
    >> > enough
    >> > to prove.
    >> > Heirloom, old and think I'm missing some keys
    >> >
    >> > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > right,

    > in

    >> > test

    I didn't fully explain it, but when a email comes to the List and it is
    converted to plain text, I have to send a note to the person responsible
    along with the copy that is *half* converted....and there is always a lot of
    the "&NBSP" entries in it.

    I have seen it so many times and never thought much about it. Perhaps
    someone has a more technical explanation.....but I guess with Lists, it is
    more common. Can't think of the other places where I regularly see
    it....ah, yes. Often on say, the Spyware Forums......when an HTML message
    is quoted in the next one, you will see that funny entry.

    If I remember.......the next time someone does it on ENG-CUL, I will send
    you a copy.

    Cheers.....Heather

    > > ...you guys are the
    > > experts. (cough)
    >
    > Not at all, Heather - I learn something on these groups every day <g>
    >
    > Like you, I usually have HTML turned off - but none of the (many) HTML
    > emails that I have received looks anything like kpg's Message Source,
    > especially all those "&NBSP;" entries. But you're probably right.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > >I dunno, Mart. But I see them when I get email to my Cumberland
    Genealogy
    > > List coz we don't allow HTML.....and the software converts it. But I
    get
    > > copy of the original. Seen it lots of times, but heck....you guys are
    the
    > > experts. (cough)
    > >
    > > Cheers...Heather 8-))
    > >

    > > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >> Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other
    > > sort
    > >> of hardware problem?
    > >>
    > >> Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his
    Message
    > >> Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.
    > >>
    > >> But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR
    or
    > > LF
    > >> character?
    > >>
    > >> Mart
    > >>

    > >> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message

    > > in

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    They were my thoughts when I first saw it, weird, haven't a clue
    otherwise as I have set things to read in plain text only. <g>
    Joan

    Heather wrote:
    > HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am right,
    > grin.
    >
    > Cheers...Figgs

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I suspect that KPG is using HTTP access to the groups - WindowsForumz.com is
    an alternative portal. It's probably responsible for the rogue characters
    (no - I don't mean you, Mart! <g>).

    It does, however have the advantage of having RSS feed, so you should get
    notified of changes rapidly.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> ...you guys are the
    >> experts. (cough)
    >
    > Not at all, Heather - I learn something on these groups every day <g>
    >
    > Like you, I usually have HTML turned off - but none of the (many) HTML
    > emails that I have received looks anything like kpg's Message Source,
    > especially all those "&NBSP;" entries. But you're probably right.
    >
    > Mart
    >

    > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    >>I dunno, Mart. But I see them when I get email to my Cumberland Genealogy
    >> List coz we don't allow HTML.....and the software converts it. But I get
    >> copy of the original. Seen it lots of times, but heck....you guys are
    >> the
    >> experts. (cough)
    >>
    >> Cheers...Heather 8-))
    >>

    >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other
    >> sort
    >>> of hardware problem?
    >>>
    >>> Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his Message
    >>> Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.
    >>>
    >>> But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR or
    >> LF
    >>> character?
    >>>
    >>> Mart
    >>>

    >>> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message

    >> in

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > (no - I don't mean you, Mart! <g>).

    Quote from elsewhere :- "Hey - I resent that (or do I mean resemble??)" <bg>

    As it's the first time I've come across these "&NBSP;" rogues, I obviously
    keep a clean machine here and must be very selective with my incoming mail
    <vbg>

    However, your explanation being so Noel, then we can eliminate it as a
    possible explanation for kpg's multi-pastes. So I'm still with HL's
    keyboard - (or hardware) - theory.

    Mart

Document Microsoft Windows