copy & paste

When i use the copy & paste function, my system copies the document
multiple times, instead of just once. When I attempt to paste the
document it shows up 4 or more times. How can I correct this?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1119898

Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
(onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the previous
Copy.

So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to Copy its
contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.

Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND you are
using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple' connections
for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive) copies
of the clipboard into the document.

Mart

"kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> When i use the copy & paste function, my system copies the document
> multiple times, instead of just once. When I attempt to paste the
> document it shows up 4 or more times. How can I correct this?

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html

Hey Mart & kpg,
Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
"copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression that
the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy" procedure
would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
wrong.
Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
> (onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the previous
> Copy.
>
> So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to Copy
its
> contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.
>
> Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND you
are
> using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
> guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple'
connections
> for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive)
copies
> of the clipboard into the document.
>
> Mart
>

> "kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > When i use the copy & paste function, my system copies the document
> > multiple times, instead of just once. When I attempt to paste the
> > document it shows up 4 or more times. How can I correct this?
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> > Topic URL:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1119898

Hi HL, try this and see if it works for you :-

Open a new Notepad.txt document, type in a couple of words, highlight them
and (right-click) copy, then (right-click) and paste - a couple of times or
so.

Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps
pasting.

Even does it in OE <g>

Mart

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> Hey Mart & kpg,
> Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
> "copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression
> that
> the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy"
> procedure
> would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
> wrong.
> Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
>> (onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the
>> previous
>> Copy.
>>
>> So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to Copy
> its
>> contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.
>>
>> Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND you
> are
>> using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
>> guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple'
> connections
>> for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive)
> copies
>> of the clipboard into the document.
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>> > When i use the copy & paste function, my system copies the document
>> > multiple times, instead of just once. When I attempt to paste the
>> > document it shows up 4 or more times. How can I correct this?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>> > request
>> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> > Topic URL:
>> >
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html
>> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
>> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1119898

Yep, mine will continue to paste the same item copied, until something else
is put on the clipboard. However, it does require right-clicking and
selecting 'Paste' from the popup menu. I just couldn't see how a faulty
signal from the mouse could reproduce that error....have no idea what could,
but, don't think it would be the mouse or a 'shift-insert' key combo. I
would like to know what IS causing it...
never heard of that one before.
Heirloom, old and one is enough

> Hi HL, try this and see if it works for you :-
>
> Open a new Notepad.txt document, type in a couple of words, highlight them
> and (right-click) copy, then (right-click) and paste - a couple of times
or
> so.
>
> Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps
> pasting.

> Even does it in OE <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > Hey Mart & kpg,
> > Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
> > "copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression
> > that
> > the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy"
> > procedure
> > would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
> > wrong.
> > Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one
> >
> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
> >> (onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the
> >> previous
> >> Copy.
> >>
> >> So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to
Copy
> > its
> >> contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.
> >>
> >> Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND
you
> > are
> >> using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
> >> guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple'
> > connections
> >> for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive)
> > copies
> >> of the clipboard into the document.
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html

Also works with shortcuts (although re-names them if in same folder - e.g.
desktop)
And .jpg's but if I copy an .exe file it asks if I want to overwrite the
first copy.

Which is exactly as I expected.

Mart

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi HL, try this and see if it works for you :-
>
> Open a new Notepad.txt document, type in a couple of words, highlight them
> and (right-click) copy, then (right-click) and paste - a couple of times
> or so.
>
> Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps
> pasting.
>
> Even does it in OE <g>
>
> Mart
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
>> Hey Mart & kpg,
>> Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
>> "copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression
>> that
>> the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy"
>> procedure
>> would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
>> wrong.
>> Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one
>>
>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Maybe you mean that it 'Pastes' 4 or more times. You can only Copy once
>>> (onto the clipboard) and any further Copying just 'overwrites the
>>> previous
>>> Copy.
>>>
>>> So, the Clipboard only holds one copy at a time - but allows you to Copy
>> its
>>> contents as many times as you wish, without clearing the Clipboard.
>>>
>>> Therefore if it Pastes 4 or more times (into the same document?) AND you
>> are
>>> using the mouse button to undertake the 'Paste' operation, then I would
>>> guess that your mouse button is faulty and is making 'multiple'
>> connections
>>> for each single key press, thus pasting up to 4 or more (consecutive)
>> copies
>>> of the clipboard into the document.
>>>
>>> Mart
>>>

>>> "kpg712" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html

Yep, you're right KB, - not the mouse! BUT, if you use the shortcut keys
(Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V) then it is possible - by holding the Ctrl+V keys - to
paste multiple copies.

So, there's always the possibility of a very short 'Repeat Delay' setting
for the key repetition speed - but that would show in other (normal) typing
actions I suppose.

Oh well - just a thought. Probably never know, unless kpg replies <g>

> Yep, mine will continue to paste the same item copied, until something
> else
> is put on the clipboard. However, it does require right-clicking and
> selecting 'Paste' from the popup menu. I just couldn't see how a faulty
> signal from the mouse could reproduce that error....have no idea what
> could,
> but, don't think it would be the mouse or a 'shift-insert' key combo. I
> would like to know what IS causing it...
> never heard of that one before.
> Heirloom, old and one is enough
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi HL, try this and see if it works for you :-
>>
>> Open a new Notepad.txt document, type in a couple of words, highlight
>> them
>> and (right-click) copy, then (right-click) and paste - a couple of times
> or
>> so.
>>
>> Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps pasting. Mine keeps
>> pasting.
>

>> Even does it in OE <g>
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey Mart & kpg,
>> > Maybe mine is different, but, it doesn't matter how many times I
>> > "copy" an item, it only "pastes" one time. I was under the impression
>> > that
>> > the clipboard only held one item at a time and a subsequent "copy"
>> > procedure
>> > would overwrite what was on there.....of course, as always, I could be
>> > wrong.
>> > Heirloom, old and can only reproduce one
>> >
>> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Copy
>> > its

> you
>> > are
>> > connections
>> > copies

> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html

Sorry HL, that first line was supposed to read :-

"Yep, you're right! - Maybe the Keyboard, not the mouse! If you use the
shortcut keys ...etc.,"

Mart

"Mart2" wrote:
> [...]
> <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
>   >> >>
>   >> >> > When i use the copy & paste function, my
> system copies the document
>   >> >> > multiple times, instead of just once. When
> I attempt to paste the
>   >> >> > document it shows up 4 or more times. How
> can I correct this?
>   >> >> >
>   >> >> > --
>   >> >> > Posted using the
> http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>   >> >> > request
>   >> >> > Articles individually checked for
> conformance to usenet standards
>   >> >> > Topic URL:
>   >> >> >
>   >> >
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-copy-amp-paste-ftopict354045.html
>   >> >> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.

I use the shortcut keys. My mouse & keyboard are fine. I press the
keys only once. Thanx for replying.

Just for grins........it wouldn't hurt to swap out the keyboard for test
purposes.
Heirloom, old and narrowing it down

> I use the shortcut keys. My mouse & keyboard are fine. I press the
> keys only once. Thanx for replying.

For sure! - There certainly appear to be some 'odd ball' characters in kpg's
last message.

For example, why has the Subject line suddenly changed?
viz :- &

> Just for grins........it wouldn't hurt to swap out the keyboard for test
> purposes.
> Heirloom, old and narrowing it down
>

>> I use the shortcut keys. My mouse & keyboard are fine. I press the
>> keys only once. Thanx for replying.

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am right,
grin.

Cheers...Figgs

> For sure! - There certainly appear to be some 'odd ball' characters in
kpg's
> last message.
>
> For example, why has the Subject line suddenly changed?
> viz :- &
>
> Mart
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Just for grins........it wouldn't hurt to swap out the keyboard for test
> > purposes.
> > Heirloom, old and narrowing it down
> >

> >> I use the shortcut keys. My mouse & keyboard are fine. I press the
> >> keys only once. Thanx for replying.

My money is on a flaky keyboard...........at least, it would be easy enough
to prove.
Heirloom, old and think I'm missing some keys

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am
right,
> grin.
>
> Cheers...Figgs
>
> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > For sure! - There certainly appear to be some 'odd ball' characters in
> kpg's
> > last message.
> >
> > For example, why has the Subject line suddenly changed?
> > viz :- &
> >
> > Mart
> >

> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Just for grins........it wouldn't hurt to swap out the keyboard for
test
> > > purposes.
> > > Heirloom, old and narrowing it down

Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other sort
of hardware problem?

Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his Message
Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.

But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR or LF
character?

> My money is on a flaky keyboard...........at least, it would be easy
> enough
> to prove.
> Heirloom, old and think I'm missing some keys
>
> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am
> right,
>> grin.
>>
>> Cheers...Figgs
>>
>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > For sure! - There certainly appear to be some 'odd ball' characters in
>> kpg's
>> > last message.
>> >
>> > For example, why has the Subject line suddenly changed?
>> > viz :- &
>> >
>> > Mart
>> >

>> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message

> test

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I dunno, Mart. But I see them when I get email to my Cumberland Genealogy
List coz we don't allow HTML.....and the software converts it. But I get a
copy of the original. Seen it lots of times, but heck....you guys are the
experts. (cough)

Cheers...Heather :cool:)

> Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other
sort
> of hardware problem?
>
> Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his Message
> Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.
>
> But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR or
LF
> character?
>
> Mart
>

> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > My money is on a flaky keyboard...........at least, it would be easy
> > enough
> > to prove.
> > Heirloom, old and think I'm missing some keys
> >
> > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >> HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am
> > right,
> >> grin.
> >>
> >> Cheers...Figgs
> >>
> >> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> kpg's

> > test

> ...you guys are the
> experts. (cough)

Not at all, Heather - I learn something on these groups every day <g>

Like you, I usually have HTML turned off - but none of the (many) HTML
emails that I have received looks anything like kpg's Message Source,
especially all those "&NBSP;" entries. But you're probably right.

Mart

>I dunno, Mart. But I see them when I get email to my Cumberland Genealogy
> List coz we don't allow HTML.....and the software converts it. But I get
> copy of the original. Seen it lots of times, but heck....you guys are the
> experts. (cough)
>
> Cheers...Heather :cool:)
>

> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other
> sort
>> of hardware problem?
>>
>> Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his Message
>> Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.
>>
>> But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR or
> LF
>> character?
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
>> > My money is on a flaky keyboard...........at least, it would be easy
>> > enough
>> > to prove.
>> > Heirloom, old and think I'm missing some keys
>> >
>> > "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> > right,

> in

>> > test

Heather

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003

I didn't fully explain it, but when a email comes to the List and it is
converted to plain text, I have to send a note to the person responsible
along with the copy that is *half* converted....and there is always a lot of
the "&NBSP" entries in it.

I have seen it so many times and never thought much about it. Perhaps
someone has a more technical explanation.....but I guess with Lists, it is
more common. Can't think of the other places where I regularly see
it....ah, yes. Often on say, the Spyware Forums......when an HTML message
is quoted in the next one, you will see that funny entry.

If I remember.......the next time someone does it on ENG-CUL, I will send
you a copy.

Cheers.....Heather

> > ...you guys are the
> > experts. (cough)
>
> Not at all, Heather - I learn something on these groups every day <g>
>
> Like you, I usually have HTML turned off - but none of the (many) HTML
> emails that I have received looks anything like kpg's Message Source,
> especially all those "&NBSP;" entries. But you're probably right.
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >I dunno, Mart. But I see them when I get email to my Cumberland
Genealogy
> > List coz we don't allow HTML.....and the software converts it. But I
get
> > copy of the original. Seen it lots of times, but heck....you guys are
the
> > experts. (cough)
> >
> > Cheers...Heather :cool:)
> >

> > "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other
> > sort
> >> of hardware problem?
> >>
> >> Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his
Message
> >> Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.
> >>
> >> But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR
or
> > LF
> >> character?
> >>
> >> Mart
> >>

> >> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message

> > in

They were my thoughts when I first saw it, weird, haven't a clue
otherwise as I have set things to read in plain text only. <g>
Joan

Heather wrote:
> HTML?? Nah, that would be too easy of an answer.....but I think I am right,
> grin.
>
> Cheers...Figgs

I suspect that KPG is using HTTP access to the groups - WindowsForumz.com is
an alternative portal. It's probably responsible for the rogue characters
(no - I don't mean you, Mart! <g>).

It does, however have the advantage of having RSS feed, so you should get
notified of changes rapidly.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> ...you guys are the
>> experts. (cough)
>
> Not at all, Heather - I learn something on these groups every day <g>
>
> Like you, I usually have HTML turned off - but none of the (many) HTML
> emails that I have received looks anything like kpg's Message Source,
> especially all those "&NBSP;" entries. But you're probably right.
>
> Mart
>

> "Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>I dunno, Mart. But I see them when I get email to my Cumberland Genealogy
>> List coz we don't allow HTML.....and the software converts it. But I get
>> copy of the original. Seen it lots of times, but heck....you guys are
>> the
>> experts. (cough)
>>
>> Cheers...Heather :cool:)
>>

>> "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Yup! - For the moment, I'm still with you HL - If not, then some other
>> sort
>>> of hardware problem?
>>>
>>> Heather, I'm not at all sure that it's HTML - take a look at his Message
>>> Source and compare with ours. No sign (that I can see) of HTML.
>>>
>>> But where are all those "&NBSP;" entries coming from? Some sort of CR or
>> LF
>>> character?
>>>
>>> Mart
>>>

>>> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message

>> in

> (no - I don't mean you, Mart! <g>).

Quote from elsewhere :- "Hey - I resent that (or do I mean resemble??)" <bg>

As it's the first time I've come across these "&NBSP;" rogues, I obviously
keep a clean machine here and must be very selective with my incoming mail
<vbg>

However, your explanation being so Noel, then we can eliminate it as a
possible explanation for kpg's multi-pastes. So I'm still with HL's
keyboard - (or hardware) - theory.

Mart