new bios/motherboard with old hard drive

Hello.
I've got a system that was configured to duel boot to Windows Xp and Windows
98, with each partition on its own hard drive.
Xp is on a 40GB parallel IDE drive and Win 98 is on a 17 GB drive
Anyway recently I replaced the motherboard with an second hand Asus P2P
board.
I attached all the drives to it but when it first booted up the bios didn't
recognize the larger drive. I then updated the bios to the latest version
that Asus make for it;- version 1014.003 - written in early 2002
It recognized both drives but it failed to boot giving the message 'NTLDR is
missing'

I then tried to boot to the recovery console in Windows Xp but it refused to
boot from the cd-rom giving the message 'no emulation system type!!!' -very
annoying!--

Can someone knowledgeable help me out. Is there a way to get the computer to
boot to the 2 drives without having to format then as there is quite allot
of data I don't want to loose. I really wasn't expecting this. I just
assumed that the system would still boot up as before, since I haven't
changed what's on the drives, only the motherboard/bios.
Thanks

"MikeJohnes" <1412ffre1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
> I've got a system that was configured to duel boot to Windows Xp and
> Windows 98, with each partition on its own hard drive.
> Xp is on a 40GB parallel IDE drive and Win 98 is on a 17 GB drive
> Anyway recently I replaced the motherboard with an second hand Asus P2P
> board.
> I attached all the drives to it but when it first booted up the bios
> didn't recognize the larger drive. I then updated the bios to the latest
> version that Asus make for it;- version 1014.003 - written in early 2002
> It recognized both drives but it failed to boot giving the message 'NTLDR
> is missing'
>
> I then tried to boot to the recovery console in Windows Xp but it refused
> to boot from the cd-rom giving the message 'no emulation system
> type!!!' -very annoying!--
>
> Can someone knowledgeable help me out. Is there a way to get the computer
> to boot to the 2 drives without having to format then as there is quite
> allot of data I don't want to loose. I really wasn't expecting this. I
> just assumed that the system would still boot up as before, since I
> haven't changed what's on the drives, only the motherboard/bios.
> Thanks

Mike:
You need to run a Repair install after a motherboard change. Do a Google
search for "Repair install XP" and you'll get links to a wealth of
information on how to perform a Repair install.
Art

"MikeJohnes" <1412ffre1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can someone knowledgeable help me out. Is there a way to get the
>computer to boot to the 2 drives without having to format then as
>there is quite allot of data I don't want to loose.

Do you have a backup copy?

"Art" <Anonymous@notanisp.com> wrote in message

> "MikeJohnes" <1412ffre1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello.
>> I've got a system that was configured to duel boot to Windows Xp and
>> Windows 98, with each partition on its own hard drive.
>> Xp is on a 40GB parallel IDE drive and Win 98 is on a 17 GB drive
>> Anyway recently I replaced the motherboard with an second hand Asus P2P
>> board.
>> I attached all the drives to it but when it first booted up the bios
>> didn't recognize the larger drive. I then updated the bios to the latest
>> version that Asus make for it;- version 1014.003 - written in early 2002
>> It recognized both drives but it failed to boot giving the message 'NTLDR
>> is missing'
>>
>> I then tried to boot to the recovery console in Windows Xp but it refused
>> to boot from the cd-rom giving the message 'no emulation system
>> type!!!' -very annoying!--
>>
>> Can someone knowledgeable help me out. Is there a way to get the computer
>> to boot to the 2 drives without having to format then as there is quite
>> allot of data I don't want to loose. I really wasn't expecting this. I
>> just assumed that the system would still boot up as before, since I
>> haven't changed what's on the drives, only the motherboard/bios.
>> Thanks
>

> Mike:
> You need to run a Repair install after a motherboard change. Do a Google
> search for "Repair install XP" and you'll get links to a wealth of
> information on how to perform a Repair install.
> Art
Thanks for the reply
I tried to repair install but ran into too many problems!
Firstly this motherboard/bios refuses to boot from the XP installation disk.
I get the message ' 'no emulation system type
'So to run the repair install I needed to uses the 6 boot floppies. I ran
the repair install feature and it did in fact attempt to copy the files
alright. After 10-15 mins it said it was finished and had been successful
and rebooted.
But upon reboot I got the same 'NTLDR is missing'
error.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So I gave up!
I removed all references to Xp using the fdisk /mbr and sys c commands from
the Win98 start-up floppy and booted to Windows 98.
So I now have access to both hard drives and can backup my files.

However I would like to repair the Xp installation if possible because I
don't want the hassle of having to reinstall/configure and reinstall my
applications
Has anyone any ideas?
Thanks.

MikeJohnes wrote:

> "Art" <Anonymous@notanisp.com> wrote in message
>
>>"MikeJohnes" <1412ffre1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello.
>>>I've got a system that was configured to duel boot to Windows Xp and
>>>Windows 98, with each partition on its own hard drive.
>>>Xp is on a 40GB parallel IDE drive and Win 98 is on a 17 GB drive
>>>Anyway recently I replaced the motherboard with an second hand Asus P2P
>>>board.
>>>I attached all the drives to it but when it first booted up the bios
>>>didn't recognize the larger drive. I then updated the bios to the latest
>>>version that Asus make for it;- version 1014.003 - written in early 2002
>>>It recognized both drives but it failed to boot giving the message 'NTLDR
>>>is missing'
>>>
>>>I then tried to boot to the recovery console in Windows Xp but it refused
>>>to boot from the cd-rom giving the message 'no emulation system
>>>type!!!' -very annoying!--
>>>
>>>Can someone knowledgeable help me out. Is there a way to get the computer
>>>to boot to the 2 drives without having to format then as there is quite
>>>allot of data I don't want to loose. I really wasn't expecting this. I
>>>just assumed that the system would still boot up as before, since I
>>>haven't changed what's on the drives, only the motherboard/bios.
>>>Thanks
>>

>>Mike:
>>You need to run a Repair install after a motherboard change. Do a Google
>>search for "Repair install XP" and you'll get links to a wealth of
>>information on how to perform a Repair install.
>>Art
>
> Thanks for the reply
> I tried to repair install but ran into too many problems!
> Firstly this motherboard/bios refuses to boot from the XP installation disk.
> I get the message ' 'no emulation system type

It sounds like you have a damaged XP CD, or a 'home made' one that isn't
made right because the 'no emulation type' is an error message relating to
the bootable image on the CD. It normally emulates a floppy but yours
apparently isn't.

Either that or you have a drive configuration problem in BIOS, Master/Slave
jumpers, cables, or something so that the boot image can't find the CD.

> 'So to run the repair install I needed to uses the 6 boot floppies. I ran
> the repair install feature and it did in fact attempt to copy the files
> alright. After 10-15 mins it said it was finished and had been successful
> and rebooted.
> But upon reboot I got the same 'NTLDR is missing'
> error.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> So I gave up!
> I removed all references to Xp using the fdisk /mbr and sys c commands from
> the Win98 start-up floppy and booted to Windows 98.

Which drive was master and slave on which IDE ports in the original system
and where are they now?

You were always booting from the 17 gig Windows98 drive?

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> MikeJohnes wrote:
>
>> "Art" <Anonymous@notanisp.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"MikeJohnes" <1412ffre1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Mike:
>>>You need to run a Repair install after a motherboard change. Do a Google
>>>search for "Repair install XP" and you'll get links to a wealth of
>>>information on how to perform a Repair install.
>>>Art
>>
>> Thanks for the reply
>> I tried to repair install but ran into too many problems!
>> Firstly this motherboard/bios refuses to boot from the XP installation
>> disk. I get the message ' 'no emulation system type
>
> It sounds like you have a damaged XP CD, or a 'home made' one that isn't
> made right because the 'no emulation type' is an error message relating to
> the bootable image on the CD. It normally emulates a floppy but yours
> apparently isn't.
>
> Either that or you have a drive configuration problem in BIOS,
> Master/Slave jumpers, cables, or something so that the boot image can't
> find the CD.
>
>> 'So to run the repair install I needed to uses the 6 boot floppies. I ran
>> the repair install feature and it did in fact attempt to copy the files
>> alright. After 10-15 mins it said it was finished and had been successful
>> and rebooted.
>> But upon reboot I got the same 'NTLDR is missing'
>> error.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> So I gave up!
>> I removed all references to Xp using the fdisk /mbr and sys c commands
>> from the Win98 start-up floppy and booted to Windows 98.
>
> Which drive was master and slave on which IDE ports in the original system
> and where are they now?
>
> You were always booting from the 17 gig Windows98 drive?
>
>> So I now have access to both hard drives and can backup my files.
>>
>> However I would like to repair the Xp installation if possible because I
>> don't want the hassle of having to reinstall/configure and reinstall my
>> applications
>> Has anyone any ideas?
>> Thanks.

The 17G drive was the master and had Win98 on it and the 40G was the slave
with WinXP on it.
I don't think there is anythnig wrong with the Windows CD because it booted
fine with the previous motherboard/bios.
Anyway I gave up and simply re-intalled XP and its working fine. However
I',m having to re-intall all the applications which is a bit of a drag.
Thanks

<snip>

Did you reset the bios to the failsafe defaults after updating it?

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/