Unsupported Mass Storage Device

Kama

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2005

I need some help guys. My hard drive crashed so I just put in a hard
drive that had a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro and now when I try
to upgrade to Windows Xp Pro I get an error message after i put my cd
key that there is an Unsupported Mass Storage Device that Windows XP
Pro can't install and that i will have to provide drivers for it after
the reboot during the install. After the restart I get the Starting
Windows bar screen but none of the bars fill up. I'm thinking its my
hard drive but I'm not sure. Device Mananger gives indication of
problems under Windows 2000, System compatability Test in Win Xp says
there are no complications. This system has had Win Xp Pro prior to
the hard drive crash so it was working fine with all components and i
don't see how the same type of hard drive with just 10gigs more space
would not be supported. There was also a blue screen about the drive
not being ACPI compliant so i'm not sure if this has anything to do
with it.

I've pretty much run out of ideas as to whats up so please help me
out

Now the hard drive that I had before was a Western Digital Caviar
205AA IDE and the one that I just put in is a Western Digital Caviar
WD300 IDE.
The motherboard/bios can be found on this link

http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/IN810EP/IN810ep.htm

I tried flashing the bios but it didn't work.

The reason i had to reboot was because my Windows XP install went dead
after a blue screen. The computer would start up but it wouldn't go
into the OS and i would instead be treated to the "system ready"
blinking underscore.

jad

My hard drive crashed so I just put in a hard
> drive that had a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro

if this is a hardrive that had an install from some other system,

WHY do you think installing a different harddrive , that has an
install from some other system, has drivers for what was installed
there, is going to work without modification on an entirely different
mainboard? Upgrading from one OS to another by loading on top, is not
the way to go. Unless you like tinkering for months and end up doing
it correctly in the end. Clean install is the best (for me the ONLY
way) to have a stable system.

the unsupported USB device is probably a non existent piece of
hardware from the other system loaded in the device manager.

"KaMa" <solidus3931@msn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I need some help guys. and now when I try
> to upgrade to Windows Xp Pro I get an error message after i put my
cd
> key that there is an Unsupported Mass Storage Device that Windows XP
> Pro can't install and that i will have to provide drivers for it
after
> the reboot during the install. After the restart I get the Starting
> Windows bar screen but none of the bars fill up. I'm thinking its my
> hard drive but I'm not sure. Device Mananger gives indication of
> problems under Windows 2000, System compatability Test in Win Xp
says
> there are no complications. This system has had Win Xp Pro prior to
> the hard drive crash so it was working fine with all components and
> don't see how the same type of hard drive with just 10gigs more
space
> would not be supported. There was also a blue screen about the drive
> not being ACPI compliant so i'm not sure if this has anything to do
> with it.
>
> I've pretty much run out of ideas as to whats up so please help me
> out
>
> Now the hard drive that I had before was a Western Digital Caviar
> 205AA IDE and the one that I just put in is a Western Digital Caviar
> WD300 IDE.
> The motherboard/bios can be found on this link
>
> http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/IN810EP/IN810ep.htm
>
> I tried flashing the bios but it didn't work.
>
> The reason i had to reboot was because my Windows XP install went
dead
> after a blue screen. The computer would start up but it wouldn't go
> into the OS and i would instead be treated to the "system ready"
> blinking underscore.

KaMa:

> Any other suggestions?

You will probably eventually get an answer here but since the focus is on
hardware, posting the question in a Windows group would probably be
quicker.
--
Mac Cool

"KaMa" <solidus3931@msn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I need some help guys. My hard drive crashed so I just put in a hard
> drive that had a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro and now when I try
> to upgrade to Windows Xp Pro I get an error message after i put my cd
> key that there is an Unsupported Mass Storage Device that Windows XP
> Pro can't install and that i will have to provide drivers for it after
> the reboot during the install. After the restart I get the Starting
> Windows bar screen but none of the bars fill up. I'm thinking its my
> hard drive but I'm not sure. Device Mananger gives indication of
> problems under Windows 2000, System compatability Test in Win Xp says
> there are no complications. This system has had Win Xp Pro prior to
> the hard drive crash so it was working fine with all components and i
> don't see how the same type of hard drive with just 10gigs more space
> would not be supported. There was also a blue screen about the drive
> not being ACPI compliant so i'm not sure if this has anything to do
> with it.
>
> I've pretty much run out of ideas as to whats up so please help me
> out
>
> Now the hard drive that I had before was a Western Digital Caviar
> 205AA IDE and the one that I just put in is a Western Digital Caviar
> WD300 IDE.
> The motherboard/bios can be found on this link
>
> http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/IN810EP/IN810ep.htm
>
> I tried flashing the bios but it didn't work.
>
> The reason i had to reboot was because my Windows XP install went dead
> after a blue screen. The computer would start up but it wouldn't go
> into the OS and i would instead be treated to the "system ready"
> blinking underscore.

are you sure it was the hard drive that crashed ??
have you checked your mainboard?
powersuply?
memory?

"pudj" <paddy@@pudg..karoo..co..uk> wrote in message

> "KaMa" <solidus3931@msn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>I need some help guys. My hard drive crashed so I just put in a hard
>> drive that had a clean install of Windows 2000 Pro and now when I try
>> to upgrade to Windows Xp Pro I get an error message after i put my cd
>> key that there is an Unsupported Mass Storage Device that Windows XP
>> Pro can't install and that i will have to provide drivers for it after
>> the reboot during the install. After the restart I get the Starting
>> Windows bar screen but none of the bars fill up. I'm thinking its my
>> hard drive but I'm not sure. Device Mananger gives indication of
>> problems under Windows 2000, System compatability Test in Win Xp says
>> there are no complications. This system has had Win Xp Pro prior to
>> the hard drive crash so it was working fine with all components and i
>> don't see how the same type of hard drive with just 10gigs more space
>> would not be supported. There was also a blue screen about the drive
>> not being ACPI compliant so i'm not sure if this has anything to do
>> with it.
>>
>> I've pretty much run out of ideas as to whats up so please help me
>> out
>>
>> Now the hard drive that I had before was a Western Digital Caviar
>> 205AA IDE and the one that I just put in is a Western Digital Caviar
>> WD300 IDE.
>> The motherboard/bios can be found on this link
>>
>> http://www.bcmcom.com/tech/IN810EP/IN810ep.htm
>>
>> I tried flashing the bios but it didn't work.
>>
>> The reason i had to reboot was because my Windows XP install went dead
>> after a blue screen. The computer would start up but it wouldn't go
>> into the OS and i would instead be treated to the "system ready"
>> blinking underscore.
>
> are you sure it was the hard drive that crashed ??
> have you checked your mainboard?
> powersuply?
> memory?

or maybe try this :)