Installing Win98.SE alongside Win.XP

Hi!, I have just upgraded to Win.XP sp2 but learnt that some
apps just cant run on XP.and my Epson LQ1170
dot matrix 24pin printer driver cannot install onto XP
Leaving me no choice but to consider installing Win.98SE
alongside XP.

How do I partition my single ide 20GB hdd to accomodate
both windows?

thank-you in advance.
alvin.g
3 answers Last reply
More about installing win98 alongside

    Hi,

    There are two ways I know to do this. The more expensive way is to
    purchase Partition Magic, install it and create a second partition. Move the
    partition to be your first partition of the hard drive and make it active.
    Then start installation using a Win98 startup disk and install away.
    Partition Magic will let you install a boot menu so you can choose which
    partition you want to start on your machine.
    The second way is to wipe out your current XP partition, use a Win98
    startup disk and break the drive into two partitions using Fdisk, then
    install Win98. After that's done install XP. XP will ask which partition you
    want to install it on. XP will also install its own boot menu and you can
    choose from start up which OS you want to use.
    The big deal with the second method is that Win98 insists on being
    installed on the first partition and hence you have to install it first.
    Maybe there's a free utility out there other than PM that will allow
    creating a second partition on your current set up and then making that
    partition the first one. Someone else may know that.
    The other avenue is that perhaps there is a way to get your printer
    running on XP that someone knows to avoid this. A 20 gb hdd is not very
    large these days.
    Good luck,

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "alvin.g" <alvin.G@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!, I have just upgraded to Win.XP sp2 but learnt that some
    > apps just cant run on XP.and my Epson LQ1170
    > dot matrix 24pin printer driver cannot install onto XP
    > Leaving me no choice but to consider installing Win.98SE
    > alongside XP.
    >
    > How do I partition my single ide 20GB hdd to accomodate
    > both windows?
    >
    > thank-you in advance.
    > alvin.g

    also...your first partition must be in fat32 NOT ntfs, and win 98 must be
    instaleed first on this first partition.
    THEN Xp goes on part 2 , and this part can be ntfs or fat32
    "Jan Alter" <bearpuf@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > There are two ways I know to do this. The more expensive way is to
    > purchase Partition Magic, install it and create a second partition. Move
    > the partition to be your first partition of the hard drive and make it
    > active. Then start installation using a Win98 startup disk and install
    > away. Partition Magic will let you install a boot menu so you can choose
    > which partition you want to start on your machine.
    > The second way is to wipe out your current XP partition, use a Win98
    > startup disk and break the drive into two partitions using Fdisk, then
    > install Win98. After that's done install XP. XP will ask which partition
    > you want to install it on. XP will also install its own boot menu and you
    > can choose from start up which OS you want to use.
    > The big deal with the second method is that Win98 insists on being
    > installed on the first partition and hence you have to install it first.
    > Maybe there's a free utility out there other than PM that will allow
    > creating a second partition on your current set up and then making that
    > partition the first one. Someone else may know that.
    > The other avenue is that perhaps there is a way to get your printer
    > running on XP that someone knows to avoid this. A 20 gb hdd is not very
    > large these days.
    > Good luck,
    >
    > --
    > Jan Alter
    > bearpuf@verizon.net
    > or
    > jalter@phila.k12.pa.us
    > "alvin.g" <alvin.G@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi!, I have just upgraded to Win.XP sp2 but learnt that some
    >> apps just cant run on XP.and my Epson LQ1170
    >> dot matrix 24pin printer driver cannot install onto XP
    >> Leaving me no choice but to consider installing Win.98SE
    >> alongside XP.
    >>
    >> How do I partition my single ide 20GB hdd to accomodate
    >> both windows?
    >>
    >> thank-you in advance.
    >> alvin.g

    Well thanks a lot for all yr help.Its really great help.
    B.rgds
    Alvin.g

Homebuilt Windows XP Systems