333/266 FSB

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

I would like to upgrade my current CPU. It's an Athlon XP 1600+ on an Abit
KR7-A Raid board that runs at 266 FSB. I'm trying to find a faster CPU
without overclocking. It seems all I can find are processors running at 333
FSB. I know I should be able to use one but it would run at a lower rating
which, to me defeats the object of upgrading. Can anyone suggest how much
processing power would be lost depending on which processor I choose.

TIA

dos

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

You would be better off upgrading the processor and board, otherwise, from
266 to 333 isnt worth the trouble.

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 13:31:11 +0000, retro_cal wrote:

> I would like to upgrade my current CPU. It's an Athlon XP 1600+ on an Abit
> KR7-A Raid board that runs at 266 FSB. I'm trying to find a faster CPU
> without overclocking. It seems all I can find are processors running at
> 333 FSB. I know I should be able to use one but it would run at a lower
> rating which, to me defeats the object of upgrading. Can anyone suggest
> how much processing power would be lost depending on which processor I
> choose.

There are still many /266 model XP's.

http://www.pricewatch.com/

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"retro_cal" <elvis@graceland.net> wrote in message
> I would like to upgrade my current CPU. It's an Athlon XP 1600+ on an Abit
> KR7-A Raid board that runs at 266 FSB. I'm trying to find a faster CPU
> without overclocking. It seems all I can find are processors running at
333
> FSB. I know I should be able to use one but it would run at a lower rating
> which, to me defeats the object of upgrading. Can anyone suggest how much
> processing power would be lost depending on which processor I choose.
>
> TIA
You should be able to fit XP2400, which would give 50% improvement.
Check out Ebay, item 6735006945

Mike.

begin 666 s.gif
$5 $`.P``