Windows Protection Error

I'm hoping someone can help me. I just recently had my
computer fixed, about two weeks ago, new harddrive and
all. Yesterday morning when I got up I began having
problems. Every time I opened internet explorer it would
let me use it for a few minutes and then I would get an
error message (received various error messages) and would
eventually have to restart my computer. The last thing
that I downloaded was some update for Windows, but I'm not
really sure what it was. I tried to restore my computer to
another date but that didn't work, it only caused problems
with my Norton Anti-virus. Then I uninstalled Norton and a
spyware program that I had. Before this I ran a virus scan
and didn't find anything. I also have another virus
scanner on my computer, ran a scan with that one as well
and found nothing. Now my computer either freezes in the
middle of doing something, the screen goes blank, or I get
a blue screen with the message "Windows Protection Error.
You must restart your computer. System halted" and then I
have to restart. I am not sure what is causing this or
what to do to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas? Would
it help to just reinstall ME and if so how would I do
that? Thanks for any help you can give me.

You have probably installed an update, KB891711, that many are having
problems with. Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and see if you have KB891711.exe running,
if so, it is most likely the culprit. You should be able to see the startup
entry in MSCONFIG, as well.

Do an 'End Task' on the running process, uncheck it in MSCONFIG/Startup and
you should be able to remove it through Add/Remove Programs in Control
Panel.
And, yes, if you do a System Restore, you will have to uninstall and
reinstall Norton AV.....it's just the nature of the beast and the way it
stores info in the registry.
Heirloom, old and full of BBQ

<theresajwendt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm hoping someone can help me. I just recently had my
> computer fixed, about two weeks ago, new harddrive and
> all. Yesterday morning when I got up I began having
> problems. Every time I opened internet explorer it would
> let me use it for a few minutes and then I would get an
> error message (received various error messages) and would
> eventually have to restart my computer. The last thing
> that I downloaded was some update for Windows, but I'm not
> really sure what it was. I tried to restore my computer to
> another date but that didn't work, it only caused problems
> with my Norton Anti-virus. Then I uninstalled Norton and a
> spyware program that I had. Before this I ran a virus scan
> and didn't find anything. I also have another virus
> scanner on my computer, ran a scan with that one as well
> and found nothing. Now my computer either freezes in the
> middle of doing something, the screen goes blank, or I get
> a blue screen with the message "Windows Protection Error.
> You must restart your computer. System halted" and then I
> have to restart. I am not sure what is causing this or
> what to do to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas? Would
> it help to just reinstall ME and if so how would I do
> that? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Should have mentioned that you can simply prevent the KB891711.exe from
running by unchecking it in MSCONFIG/Startup........the uninstall is
optional, of course. The choice is, of course, yours.
Heirloom, old and the BBQ ain't settin' well

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> You have probably installed an update, KB891711, that many are having
> problems with. Do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and see if you have KB891711.exe
running,
> if so, it is most likely the culprit. You should be able to see the
startup
> entry in MSCONFIG, as well.
>
> Do an 'End Task' on the running process, uncheck it in MSCONFIG/Startup
and
> you should be able to remove it through Add/Remove Programs in Control
> Panel.
> And, yes, if you do a System Restore, you will have to uninstall and
> reinstall Norton AV.....it's just the nature of the beast and the way it
> stores info in the registry.
> Heirloom, old and full of BBQ
>

> <theresajwendt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I'm hoping someone can help me. I just recently had my
> > computer fixed, about two weeks ago, new harddrive and
> > all. Yesterday morning when I got up I began having
> > problems. Every time I opened internet explorer it would
> > let me use it for a few minutes and then I would get an
> > error message (received various error messages) and would
> > eventually have to restart my computer. The last thing
> > that I downloaded was some update for Windows, but I'm not
> > really sure what it was. I tried to restore my computer to
> > another date but that didn't work, it only caused problems
> > with my Norton Anti-virus. Then I uninstalled Norton and a
> > spyware program that I had. Before this I ran a virus scan
> > and didn't find anything. I also have another virus
> > scanner on my computer, ran a scan with that one as well
> > and found nothing. Now my computer either freezes in the
> > middle of doing something, the screen goes blank, or I get
> > a blue screen with the message "Windows Protection Error.
> > You must restart your computer. System halted" and then I
> > have to restart. I am not sure what is causing this or
> > what to do to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas? Would
> > it help to just reinstall ME and if so how would I do
> > that? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Too much chilli sauce perhaps <vbg>
Joan

heirloom wrote:

> Heirloom, old and the BBQ ain't settin' well

'tweren't MY BBQ........ate out.......big mistake.
Heirloom, old and this could be projectile

"Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Too much chilli sauce perhaps <vbg>
> Joan
>
> heirloom wrote:
>
> > Heirloom, old and the BBQ ain't settin' well

ROFL
Joan