unable to reinstall windows me

I have tried everything possible short of throwing the computer out the
window! I am unable to reinstall my windows ME program as I have apparantly
have many key components that were removed with virus clean ups nothing seems
to work when I reboot with my disc #2 to reinstall windows it does not load
up to the window for the option to reinstall windows? Ihave been trying
everything and just cant do it! Anyone out there can you help me??
--
Laurie

You appear to be using OEM recovery CDs rather than a Microsoft Win Me CD.
Recovery CDs are produced by the various computer manufacturers rather
than Microsoft and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It would
therefore help if you were to give some indication of the problems you
were experiencing that mean you feel the need to reinstall Win Me together
with the make and model of the PC. Hopefully this will then enable
someone with a similar PC/recovery CD to provide you with help.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

slipknot <mipoohbear66@juno.com> wrote:

> I have tried everything possible short of throwing the computer out
> the window! I am unable to reinstall my windows ME program as I have
> apparantly have many key components that were removed with virus
> clean ups nothing seems to work when I reboot with my disc #2 to
> reinstall windows it does not load up to the window for the option to
> reinstall windows? Ihave been trying everything and just cant do it!
> Anyone out there can you help me??

I am told by the computer itself, I am missing many dll files that I am sure
I do not know them all! Spool 32 errors also show up causing me not to be
able to go online, It is a critical problem as nothing works on my computer
from restore function to the restoration disks that were provided by the
company, when purchased this computer, so in all I need to reboot the whole
system when I reboot with the restoration disk #2 as told to it does not go
to the window that gives you the option to click on "reinstall windows" I
have a intel celeron processor 633mhz, hard drive of 7.5gb ultra ata hard
drive, basically it is not functioning in many areas!

"Mike M" wrote:

> You appear to be using OEM recovery CDs rather than a Microsoft Win Me CD.
> Recovery CDs are produced by the various computer manufacturers rather
> than Microsoft and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It would
> therefore help if you were to give some indication of the problems you
> were experiencing that mean you feel the need to reinstall Win Me together
> with the make and model of the PC. Hopefully this will then enable
> someone with a similar PC/recovery CD to provide you with help.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> slipknot <mipoohbear66@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > I have tried everything possible short of throwing the computer out
> > the window! I am unable to reinstall my windows ME program as I have
> > apparantly have many key components that were removed with virus
> > clean ups nothing seems to work when I reboot with my disc #2 to
> > reinstall windows it does not load up to the window for the option to
> > reinstall windows? Ihave been trying everything and just cant do it!
> > Anyone out there can you help me??

Once again, you are going to have to provide details of the make and model
of your computer in the hope that someone with a similar PC is able to
help you with your recovery CD problem. Using these CDs has nothing to do
with the Win Me operating system and a lot to do with the manufacturer of
the disks. Just FYI although it doesn't help, Win Me's setup files on a
Microsoft Win Me CD take up not much more than 100MB so your recovery CDs
obviously have much more on them than just the operating system which is
probably why you have two of them.

Your problem though could be as simple as the CD drive being defective.
Could you read other CDs before you have your problems that require the
reinstall? If yes, have you thoroughly cleaned your recovery CDs?

What actually happens when you reboot with the recovery CD inserted? If
you are booting in to windows then your problem is most likely that you
need to alter the boot order in the motherboard bios so that the system
attempts to boot from your CD drive before booting from your hard disk.
You can change the boot order by entering the bios setup when the PC first
boots.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

slipknot <mipoohbear66@juno.com> wrote:

> I am told by the computer itself, I am missing many dll files that I
> am sure I do not know them all! Spool 32 errors also show up causing
> me not to be able to go online, It is a critical problem as nothing
> works on my computer from restore function to the restoration disks
> that were provided by the company, when purchased this computer, so
> in all I need to reboot the whole system when I reboot with the
> restoration disk #2 as told to it does not go to the window that
> gives you the option to click on "reinstall windows" I have a intel
> celeron processor 633mhz, hard drive of 7.5gb ultra ata hard drive,
> basically it is not functioning in many areas!

its a gateway ? where to find model name or number?
has three cd's for recovery
how would i be able to change reboot to read cd drive?

"Mike M" wrote:

> Once again, you are going to have to provide details of the make and model
> of your computer in the hope that someone with a similar PC is able to
> help you with your recovery CD problem. Using these CDs has nothing to do
> with the Win Me operating system and a lot to do with the manufacturer of
> the disks. Just FYI although it doesn't help, Win Me's setup files on a
> Microsoft Win Me CD take up not much more than 100MB so your recovery CDs
> obviously have much more on them than just the operating system which is
> probably why you have two of them.
>
> Your problem though could be as simple as the CD drive being defective.
> Could you read other CDs before you have your problems that require the
> reinstall? If yes, have you thoroughly cleaned your recovery CDs?
>
> What actually happens when you reboot with the recovery CD inserted? If
> you are booting in to windows then your problem is most likely that you
> need to alter the boot order in the motherboard bios so that the system
> attempts to boot from your CD drive before booting from your hard disk.
> You can change the boot order by entering the bios setup when the PC first
> boots.
> --
> Mike Maltby MS-MVP
> mike.maltby@gmail.com
>

> slipknot <mipoohbear66@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > I am told by the computer itself, I am missing many dll files that I
> > am sure I do not know them all! Spool 32 errors also show up causing
> > me not to be able to go online, It is a critical problem as nothing
> > works on my computer from restore function to the restoration disks
> > that were provided by the company, when purchased this computer, so
> > in all I need to reboot the whole system when I reboot with the
> > restoration disk #2 as told to it does not go to the window that
> > gives you the option to click on "reinstall windows" I have a intel
> > celeron processor 633mhz, hard drive of 7.5gb ultra ata hard drive,
> > basically it is not functioning in many areas!

Bart

So, if a recovery CD isn't a ME OS disk, what exactly does a recovery CD do
and what does it have on it generally? Why bother providing these disks if
you can't reformat and re-install your ME OS?

Bart wrote:
> So, if a recovery CD isn't a ME OS disk, what exactly does a recovery CD do
> and what does it have on it generally? Why bother providing these disks if
> you can't reformat and re-install your ME OS?

you *can* reformat and re-install, but since the setup of the recovery
CDs are proprietary it's different with each manufacturer.

Rick

> "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in message
>
>>Once again, you are going to have to provide details of the make and model
>>of your computer in the hope that someone with a similar PC is able to
>>help you with your recovery CD problem. Using these CDs has nothing to do
>>with the Win Me operating system and a lot to do with the manufacturer of
>>the disks. Just FYI although it doesn't help, Win Me's setup files on a
>>Microsoft Win Me CD take up not much more than 100MB so your recovery CDs
>>obviously have much more on them than just the operating system which is
>>probably why you have two of them.
>>
>>Your problem though could be as simple as the CD drive being defective.
>>Could you read other CDs before you have your problems that require the
>>reinstall? If yes, have you thoroughly cleaned your recovery CDs?
>>
>>What actually happens when you reboot with the recovery CD inserted? If
>>you are booting in to windows then your problem is most likely that you
>>need to alter the boot order in the motherboard bios so that the system
>>attempts to boot from your CD drive before booting from your hard disk.
>>You can change the boot order by entering the bios setup when the PC first
>>boots.
>>--
>>Mike Maltby MS-MVP
>>mike.maltby@gmail.com
>>

>>slipknot <mipoohbear66@juno.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I am told by the computer itself, I am missing many dll files that I
>>>am sure I do not know them all! Spool 32 errors also show up causing
>>>me not to be able to go online, It is a critical problem as nothing
>>>works on my computer from restore function to the restoration disks
>>>that were provided by the company, when purchased this computer, so
>>>in all I need to reboot the whole system when I reboot with the
>>>restoration disk #2 as told to it does not go to the window that
>>>gives you the option to click on "reinstall windows" I have a intel
>>>celeron processor 633mhz, hard drive of 7.5gb ultra ata hard drive,
>>>basically it is not functioning in many areas!

> how would i be able to change reboot to read cd drive?

From my previous post.:

>> You can change the boot order by entering the bios setup when the PC
>> first boots

I can't help you more as I don't have a Gateway PC. The instructions on
how to enter the bios setup are usually displayed when the system is first
switched on. Pressing the DEL key as the system is switched on is often
all that is required.

> where to find model name or number?

Don't ask me, it's your PC. :) Try reading the badge or label on the
front and if not there look at the back.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

slipknot <mipoohbear66@juno.com> wrote:

> its a gateway ? where to find model name or number?
> has three cd's for recovery
> how would i be able to change reboot to read cd drive?

thanks for your help
I have a Dell this is my friends computer we are working on at my home!
I always told her to get a DELL!

Bart <bfisher@ndsupernet.com> wrote:

> So, if a recovery CD isn't a ME OS disk, what exactly does a recovery
> CD do and what does it have on it generally?

To start with an image of the Win Me operating system together with
whatever else the computer manufacturer chose to include.

> Why bother providing
> these disks if you can't reformat and re-install your ME OS?

That is the purpose of the image. It is copied to your hard drive
replacing what was there before.

This is not the same as installing the operating system and applications.
An image is a copy of the system as delivered to the user by the
manufacturer. The customer can then restore their PC to an "as delivered"
condition by using the recovery CD or CDs.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Bart

I think I see now, essentially the computer manufacturer's take the image,
add their 'advertisements" and bundle it all up with some promos. What
happens if the HHD is toasted or is accidentally partitioned and formatted
(I know, I know, that shouldn't happen, but...) and the HHD is a clean
slate?

Bart

Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.com> wrote:

> I think I see now, essentially the computer manufacturer's take the
> image, add their 'advertisements" and bundle it all up with some
> promos. What happens if the HHD is toasted or is accidentally
> partitioned and formatted (I know, I know, that shouldn't happen,
> but...) and the HHD is a clean slate?

The current contents of the hard drive is irrelevant when using a recovery
CD as its contents is replaced by the image stored on the CD(s). If
however the hard drive is toast it would of course first have to be
replaced regardless of how the system was then going to be loaded, whether
by formatting and installing from a Win Me CD or by restoring an image
from a recovery set.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com