Explorer(?) problem. Computer keeps freezing

I almost got everything fixed on my computer. The only thing that is still
bugging me is that after a little while, the computer just freezes up.
Sometimes it happens when I try to close a window, or open an application.
Once it happens, I try to do an Ctrl Alt Del, and close any programs that are
not answering but it still stays frozen until I Ctrl Alt Del and close
"Explorer". I have to do it twice. First time, nothing happens. Second time,
I get the "program is busy" window, click on "end task" and then the screen
goes blank and my desktop pops back up again with whatever I was working on
back on track. This time however, not all the program icons on the right side
of the tool bar(Zone alarm, pest patrol, avgvirus, etc) come up, just two or
three. All the other ones dissapear. I tried scanning with ad-aware,
avgvirus, and spybot, and everything came up ok. Is there a good freeware
anti trojan program out there? I need to scan for a trojan program just to be
sure. Is there anything else for me to do? Am I going the right way or could
something else be wrong?
Thanks in advance for your help...And my computer thanks you too...'cause it
doesn't want to be thrown out the window....;-)

Another thing...A few times (not always), when I re-start the computer I get
the following message:
"windows could not update the file %1 from %2
%1: %2
windows could not upgrade one or more system files
before starting.
Windows may not start or run properly.
If windows fails to start, run Setup again.
Press any key to continue."
Then, when I press any key, the following message appears:
"Completed updating files, continuing to load windows"

and last but not least, there is this program "tgcmd.exe" that keeps asking
Zone Alarm for access to the internet. Does anyone have any idea what it
is/does? I've been denying it access because I have no clue what it is.

Again, thanks for all your help.

"TheDacian" wrote:

> I almost got everything fixed on my computer. The only thing that is still
> bugging me is that after a little while, the computer just freezes up.
> Sometimes it happens when I try to close a window, or open an application.
> Once it happens, I try to do an Ctrl Alt Del, and close any programs that are
> not answering but it still stays frozen until I Ctrl Alt Del and close
> "Explorer". I have to do it twice. First time, nothing happens. Second time,
> I get the "program is busy" window, click on "end task" and then the screen
> goes blank and my desktop pops back up again with whatever I was working on
> back on track. This time however, not all the program icons on the right side
> of the tool bar(Zone alarm, pest patrol, avgvirus, etc) come up, just two or
> three. All the other ones dissapear. I tried scanning with ad-aware,
> avgvirus, and spybot, and everything came up ok. Is there a good freeware
> anti trojan program out there? I need to scan for a trojan program just to be
> sure. Is there anything else for me to do? Am I going the right way or could
> something else be wrong?
> Thanks in advance for your help...And my computer thanks you too...'cause it
> doesn't want to be thrown out the window....;-)

The solution to the %1 %2 problem you saw is easy to fix and is often the
result of having Symantec's LiveUpdate installed. However I note that you
have tgcmd.exe installed which generates a new wininit.ini file each time
your PC is booted. Tgcmd.exe is a program, often installed as part of an
ISP package that can allow them to offer on-line support. If you don't
want to have this application running each time you boot your PC use
MSConfig (Start, Run, enter MSConfig in the box and click OK), open the
startup tab and uncheck the entry for tgcmd.exe.

First boot to DOS using a floppy and check whether you have a WININIT.INI
file in your C:\WINDOWS folder. If present rename it to something like
wininit.old and try booting again. It is also probable that you will have
to repeat the last software install or update that you made. See MS
KB283069 - "Error Message: Windows Could Not Upgrade the File %1 from %2
%1: %2 (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=283069).

If you can't find a wininit.ini file then I suspect your problem is due to
the C:\_RESTORE\TEMP folder having around 64K files in it which is the
limit (2**16) for the number of files that can be located in a folder
using the FAT32 filing system. This then results in the "Cannot upgrade
file %1 from %2.." message when booting. I suggest you try deleting the
_RESTORE folder with the loss of any system restore checkpoints you might
have (not that I think they are now usable) and see if that solves the
problem. Delete the folder as follows:
a) Boot to DOS using a floppy. Do NOT choose "Minimal Boot" from the menu
when booting from a floppy but rather choose "Start computer with (or
without) CD-ROM support" otherwise the ATTRIB command will not be
available.
b) At the DOS A:\> prompt, type:

ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\_RESTORE
and then
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

c) Remove the floppy
d) Reboot your PC

Another problem is that the install/update you were doing will not have
been completely installed so your system may still be unusable and the
install/update will need to be repeated.

e) Delete the folder C:\OLDREST
f) Check that an automatic system restore checkpoint was created.
g) Finally adjust the space allocated to the restore folder: System |
Performance | File System | Hard Disk and adjust the restore slider to
your preferred setting. A figure of 200MB is normally more than adequate
for day to day use allowing perhaps a week of checkpoints to be available
although increasing this to perhaps 400MB for a few days during periods of
large installs such Microsoft Office is advisable.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com