Recommendations on a PC Magazine Subscription......

Hello,
Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
the scoop on the latest. Thanks.

Steph
7 answers Last reply
More about recommendations magazine subscription

    Stephan wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
    > subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
    > advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
    > the scoop on the latest. Thanks.

    If he´s truely a hardware enthusiast, then Maximum PC. If he´s just a casual
    user, and doesn´t build his own, then PC World.

    For general all round information PC Pro is quite a good read.
    Editorial columns, news roundups, reviews, group tests, Q&As and more
    in depth how-to's.

    If he is into doing things for himself then a good introduction could
    be through Custom PC. Its alright but sometimes tries to be something
    it aint. It is still a young magazine and hasn't yet decided what it
    wants to be. Still, it is very readable.

    Then you have the new kid on the block Giga Hz. Feature packed and
    looks at a wider range of technology including mobile phones and pdas.
    Not up there yet in terms of how to's and Q&As but I am sure this will
    develop.

    John

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
    <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

    >Hello,
    > Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
    >subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
    >advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
    >the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
    >
    >Steph

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
    <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

    >Hello,
    > Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
    >subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
    >advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
    >the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
    >
    >Steph

    MaximumPC or CPU Magazine if he's a computer hobbyist. Bear in mind
    that you can't get away from advertisements. Both still have a pretty
    high ratio of ads to editorial content. Not quite as ad heavy as PC
    Magazine though. Both take up the mid range between newbie/business
    type magazines like PC Magazine and actual tech journals.

    The writing in MaxPC is a bit less formal than CPU, which has it's
    good and bad points. It's a little more fun to read, but people
    easily offended by even PG profanity might want to avoid it. A few
    people have already written in about that, but removing it would
    change the flavour of the magazine.

    I tend to read both on a semi-regular basis.

    MCheu

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
    <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

    >Hello,
    > Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
    >subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
    >advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
    >the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
    >
    >Steph

    Hi Steph:

    The only PC mag I read anymore (and I read every issue) is
    MaximumPC.
    Many times I've seen them review a product, give it a bad rating
    and see an ad for the same item in the same issue.
    They will bite the hand that feeds them to give you truthful
    information and not avoid doing so.

    Happy trails,

    "Fleabus" <Xrflynn@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
    > <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >> Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
    >>subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
    >>advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
    >>the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
    >>
    >>Steph
    >>

    > Hi Steph:
    >
    > The only PC mag I read anymore (and I read every issue) is
    > MaximumPC.
    > Many times I've seen them review a product, give it a bad rating
    > and see an ad for the same item in the same issue.
    > They will bite the hand that feeds them to give you truthful
    > information and not avoid doing so.

    I'll second this. MaximumPC virtually destroyed an Ultra power supply with a
    bad review and a rating of 3 (out of 10)... and there was a full-page
    outside-cover for it ad on the back of the magazine! Ouch. That really takes
    balls. (I notice that the ad wasn't there on the following month's
    issue....)

    I don't subscribe to magazines unless they are free. Of those I like
    Computerworld, a weekly publication. For building PCs, I look at
    Computer Shopper for parts and advertisements. There are many online
    magazines too.

    "Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
    >I don't subscribe to magazines unless they are free. Of those I like
    > Computerworld, a weekly publication. For building PCs, I look at
    > Computer Shopper for parts and advertisements. There are many online
    > magazines too.

    Phish... normally, I would agree with your magazine subscription philosophy,
    but MaximumPC is only $12/yr. (a buck an issue). I couldn't resist!

    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:51:41 -0500, "Hackworth"
    > <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Fleabus" <Xrflynn@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    >>> Hi Steph:
    >>>
    >>> The only PC mag I read anymore (and I read every issue) is
    >>> MaximumPC.
    >>> Many times I've seen them review a product, give it a bad rating
    >>> and see an ad for the same item in the same issue.
    >>> They will bite the hand that feeds them to give you truthful
    >>> information and not avoid doing so.
    >>

    >>I'll second this. MaximumPC virtually destroyed an Ultra power supply with
    >>bad review and a rating of 3 (out of 10)... and there was a full-page
    >>outside-cover for it ad on the back of the magazine! Ouch. That really
    >>takes
    >>balls. (I notice that the ad wasn't there on the following month's
    >>issue....)

Homebuilt Hardware Systems