Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recommendations on a PC Magazine Subscription......

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 10, 2005 4:14:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hello,
Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
the scoop on the latest. Thanks.

Steph
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 12:33:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Stephan wrote:

> Hello,
> Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
> subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
> advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
> the scoop on the latest. Thanks.

If he´s truely a hardware enthusiast, then Maximum PC. If he´s just a casual
user, and doesn´t build his own, then PC World.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 12:32:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

For general all round information PC Pro is quite a good read.
Editorial columns, news roundups, reviews, group tests, Q&As and more
in depth how-to's.

If he is into doing things for himself then a good introduction could
be through Custom PC. Its alright but sometimes tries to be something
it aint. It is still a young magazine and hasn't yet decided what it
wants to be. Still, it is very readable.

Then you have the new kid on the block Giga Hz. Feature packed and
looks at a wider range of technology including mobile phones and pdas.
Not up there yet in terms of how to's and Q&As but I am sure this will
develop.

John

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
<xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hello,
> Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
>subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
>advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
>the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
>
>Steph
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 11, 2005 4:08:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
<xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hello,
> Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
>subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
>advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
>the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
>
>Steph
>

MaximumPC or CPU Magazine if he's a computer hobbyist. Bear in mind
that you can't get away from advertisements. Both still have a pretty
high ratio of ads to editorial content. Not quite as ad heavy as PC
Magazine though. Both take up the mid range between newbie/business
type magazines like PC Magazine and actual tech journals.

The writing in MaxPC is a bit less formal than CPU, which has it's
good and bad points. It's a little more fun to read, but people
easily offended by even PG profanity might want to avoid it. A few
people have already written in about that, but removing it would
change the flavour of the magazine.

I tend to read both on a semi-regular basis.
---------------------------------------------

MCheu
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
January 21, 2005 4:49:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
<xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hello,
> Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
>subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
>advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
>the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
>
>Steph
>

Hi Steph:

The only PC mag I read anymore (and I read every issue) is
MaximumPC.
Many times I've seen them review a product, give it a bad rating
and see an ad for the same item in the same issue.
They will bite the hand that feeds them to give you truthful
information and not avoid doing so.

Happy trails,
January 22, 2005 1:51:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Fleabus" <Xrflynn@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:h491v0101g7ltssqlbao1pocd7bap6c5v7@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
> <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>> Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
>>subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
>>advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
>>the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
>>
>>Steph
>>
>
> Hi Steph:
>
> The only PC mag I read anymore (and I read every issue) is
> MaximumPC.
> Many times I've seen them review a product, give it a bad rating
> and see an ad for the same item in the same issue.
> They will bite the hand that feeds them to give you truthful
> information and not avoid doing so.


I'll second this. MaximumPC virtually destroyed an Ultra power supply with a
bad review and a rating of 3 (out of 10)... and there was a full-page
outside-cover for it ad on the back of the magazine! Ouch. That really takes
balls. (I notice that the ad wasn't there on the following month's
issue....)
January 23, 2005 12:36:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I don't subscribe to magazines unless they are free. Of those I like
Computerworld, a weekly publication. For building PCs, I look at
Computer Shopper for parts and advertisements. There are many online
magazines too.


On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:51:41 -0500, "Hackworth"
<NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote:

>
>"Fleabus" <Xrflynn@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>news:h491v0101g7ltssqlbao1pocd7bap6c5v7@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
>> <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>> Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
>>>subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
>>>advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to know
>>>the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
>>>
>>>Steph
>>>
>>
>> Hi Steph:
>>
>> The only PC mag I read anymore (and I read every issue) is
>> MaximumPC.
>> Many times I've seen them review a product, give it a bad rating
>> and see an ad for the same item in the same issue.
>> They will bite the hand that feeds them to give you truthful
>> information and not avoid doing so.
>
>
>I'll second this. MaximumPC virtually destroyed an Ultra power supply with a
>bad review and a rating of 3 (out of 10)... and there was a full-page
>outside-cover for it ad on the back of the magazine! Ouch. That really takes
>balls. (I notice that the ad wasn't there on the following month's
>issue....)
>
>
January 23, 2005 1:49:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"Phisherman" <nobody@noone.com> wrote in message
news:gih5v0ll15koql1pc62k6ft65h0qq4tttk@4ax.com...
>I don't subscribe to magazines unless they are free. Of those I like
> Computerworld, a weekly publication. For building PCs, I look at
> Computer Shopper for parts and advertisements. There are many online
> magazines too.

Phish... normally, I would agree with your magazine subscription philosophy,
but MaximumPC is only $12/yr. (a buck an issue). I couldn't resist!


> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 22:51:41 -0500, "Hackworth"
> <NoSpam4Me@spamless.net> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Fleabus" <Xrflynn@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>news:h491v0101g7ltssqlbao1pocd7bap6c5v7@4ax.com...
>>> On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:14:32 -0600, "Stephan"
>>> <xxxAmadorFamilyxxx@t-online.de> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Hello,
>>>> Just wondering on a PC magazine. What is the best PC magazine to
>>>>subscribe to? They say that most of them are junk and have allot
>>>>advertisements. This magazine is for my husband who really likes to
>>>>know
>>>>the scoop on the latest. Thanks.
>>>>
>>>>Steph
>>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Steph:
>>>
>>> The only PC mag I read anymore (and I read every issue) is
>>> MaximumPC.
>>> Many times I've seen them review a product, give it a bad rating
>>> and see an ad for the same item in the same issue.
>>> They will bite the hand that feeds them to give you truthful
>>> information and not avoid doing so.
>>
>>
>>I'll second this. MaximumPC virtually destroyed an Ultra power supply with
>>a
>>bad review and a rating of 3 (out of 10)... and there was a full-page
>>outside-cover for it ad on the back of the magazine! Ouch. That really
>>takes
>>balls. (I notice that the ad wasn't there on the following month's
>>issue....)
>>
>>
>
!