Best Option

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 8, 2005 3:02:27 AM

My current capacity is 40G's, divided into 2G's for 'C', containing WinME
and 38G's for 'D' with all remaining
installations, including programs. 40G's are hidden somewhere, but of no
immediate consequence to me.
If I were to install WinXP, which option would be optimal for my existing
system:
1. An upgrade seems to be out of the question.
2. WinXP Home Edition (with SP1 or 2 if possible) or
3. WinXP Professional with SP1 or 2 and
installed on drive 'D' with dual boot option?
I am open for suggestions.

Harry, < 0 >.

More about : option

April 8, 2005 6:49:55 AM

In news:uIITAd%23OFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> had this to say:

> My current capacity is 40G's, divided into 2G's for 'C', containing
> WinME and 38G's for 'D' with all remaining
> installations, including programs. 40G's are hidden somewhere, but of
> no immediate consequence to me.
> If I were to install WinXP, which option would be optimal for my
> existing system:
> 1. An upgrade seems to be out of the question.
> 2. WinXP Home Edition (with SP1 or 2 if possible) or
> 3. WinXP Professional with SP1 or 2 and
> installed on drive 'D' with dual boot option?
> I am open for suggestions.
>
> Harry, < 0 >.

XP Pro SP2 dual boot... Format the partition you use as NTFS so that you
can't access it from the ME OS. Leave your ME installed as is already,
install XP Pro, it will find and automatically configure the dual boot
options for you.

Galen
April 8, 2005 3:40:23 PM

Galen:

That is an option I like very much.
Only it requires me to format 'D', because that's all I have at the moment,
unless I recover those hidden 40G's.
That definitely is the general route I am going to persue.
Thank you very much.

Harry < 0 > .

news:o qbkucAPFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> In news:uIITAd%23OFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> had this to say:

> > My current capacity is 40G's, divided into 2G's for 'C', containing
> > WinME and 38G's for 'D' with all remaining
> > installations, including programs. 40G's are hidden somewhere, but of
> > no immediate consequence to me.
> > If I were to install WinXP, which option would be optimal for my
> > existing system:
> > 1. An upgrade seems to be out of the question.
> > 2. WinXP Home Edition (with SP1 or 2 if possible) or
> > 3. WinXP Professional with SP1 or 2 and
> > installed on drive 'D' with dual boot option?
> > I am open for suggestions.
> >
> > Harry, < 0 >.
>
> XP Pro SP2 dual boot... Format the partition you use as NTFS so that you
> can't access it from the ME OS. Leave your ME installed as is already,
> install XP Pro, it will find and automatically configure the dual boot
> options for you.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

April 13, 2005 5:36:03 PM

Harry, the "hidden 40 G's" are almost certainly unallocated space on the HD.
You can use a third-party partition manager to partition and format this
space (preferably to NTFS) , in one or more partitions, or just run the XP
install which will detect the space and offer to format it for XP.

Any Win9X EBD containing fdisk will confirm the existence of the unallocated
space, by executing "fdisk /status".

http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

Clean Install Windows XP
[Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol

> Galen:
>
> That is an option I like very much.
> Only it requires me to format 'D', because that's all I have at the
moment,
> unless I recover those hidden 40G's.
> That definitely is the general route I am going to persue.
> Thank you very much.
>
> Harry < 0 > .
>

> "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o qbkucAPFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > In news:uIITAd%23OFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> > > My current capacity is 40G's, divided into 2G's for 'C', containing
> > > WinME and 38G's for 'D' with all remaining
> > > installations, including programs. 40G's are hidden somewhere, but of
> > > no immediate consequence to me.
> > > If I were to install WinXP, which option would be optimal for my
> > > existing system:
> > > 1. An upgrade seems to be out of the question.
> > > 2. WinXP Home Edition (with SP1 or 2 if possible) or
> > > 3. WinXP Professional with SP1 or 2 and
> > > installed on drive 'D' with dual boot option?
> > > I am open for suggestions.
> > >
> > > Harry, < 0 >.
> >
> > XP Pro SP2 dual boot... Format the partition you use as NTFS so that
you
> > can't access it from the ME OS. Leave your ME installed as is already,
> > install XP Pro, it will find and automatically configure the dual boot
> > options for you.
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:54:34 PM

Jack:

Your are like a gift from heaven, offering me this kind of extremely helpful
advice in my particular situation.
I am so glad to have pursued this long and extensively enough to end up with
this perfect solution.
Thank you so very much for it.

Harry.

"Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> Harry, the "hidden 40 G's" are almost certainly unallocated space on the
HD.
> You can use a third-party partition manager to partition and format this
> space (preferably to NTFS) , in one or more partitions, or just run the XP
> install which will detect the space and offer to format it for XP.
>
> Any Win9X EBD containing fdisk will confirm the existence of the
unallocated
> space, by executing "fdisk /status".
>
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
> [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
>
> --
> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ----------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Galen:
> >
> > That is an option I like very much.
> > Only it requires me to format 'D', because that's all I have at the
> moment,
> > unless I recover those hidden 40G's.
> > That definitely is the general route I am going to persue.
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Harry < 0 > .
> >

> > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o qbkucAPFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > In news:uIITAd%23OFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> > > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> had this to say:
> > >
> > > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> > > XP Pro SP2 dual boot... Format the partition you use as NTFS so that
> you
> > > can't access it from the ME OS. Leave your ME installed as is already,
> > > install XP Pro, it will find and automatically configure the dual boot
> > > options for you.
> > >
> > > Galen
> > > --
> > > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:41:26 PM

Jack:

My "Fixed Disk Drive Status":

Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
1 76317 29997 61%
C: 2047
D: 44273.

Apparently those 'free' 29997 MB's are the ones I am looking for and WinXP
will find, when doing the install.
I definitely will format this space to NTFS, once I get to this point.
Who would have thought that it could be this simple.
Thanks again and again.

Harry.

"Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> Harry, the "hidden 40 G's" are almost certainly unallocated space on the
HD.
> You can use a third-party partition manager to partition and format this
> space (preferably to NTFS) , in one or more partitions, or just run the XP
> install which will detect the space and offer to format it for XP.
>
> Any Win9X EBD containing fdisk will confirm the existence of the
unallocated
> space, by executing "fdisk /status".
>
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
>
> Clean Install Windows XP
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
> [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
>
> --
> Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
> In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ----------
> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Galen:
> >
> > That is an option I like very much.
> > Only it requires me to format 'D', because that's all I have at the
> moment,
> > unless I recover those hidden 40G's.
> > That definitely is the general route I am going to persue.
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Harry < 0 > .
> >

> > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o qbkucAPFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> > > In news:uIITAd%23OFHA.3156@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> > > webster72n <hbethke@copper.net> had this to say:
> > >
> > > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> > > XP Pro SP2 dual boot... Format the partition you use as NTFS so that
> you
> > > can't access it from the ME OS. Leave your ME installed as is already,
> > > install XP Pro, it will find and automatically configure the dual boot
> > > options for you.
> > >
> > > Galen
> > > --
> > > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:53:43 PM

Looks like the Easter bunny made a late visit at your house ...

news:o kjUiIIQFHA.4020@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> Jack:
>
> My "Fixed Disk Drive Status":
>
> Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
> 1 76317 29997 61%
> C: 2047
> D: 44273.
>
> Apparently those 'free' 29997 MB's are the ones I am looking for and WinXP
> will find, when doing the install.
> I definitely will format this space to NTFS, once I get to this point.
> Who would have thought that it could be this simple.
> Thanks again and again.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Jack Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > Harry, the "hidden 40 G's" are almost certainly unallocated space on the
> HD.
> > You can use a third-party partition manager to partition and format
this
> > space (preferably to NTFS) , in one or more partitions, or just run the
XP
> > install which will detect the space and offer to format it for XP.
> >
> > Any Win9X EBD containing fdisk will confirm the existence of the
> unallocated
> > space, by executing "fdisk /status".
> >
> > http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
> >
> > Clean Install Windows XP
> > http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
> > [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]
> >
> > --
> > Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> > In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ----------
> > "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Galen:
> > >
> > > That is an option I like very much.
> > > Only it requires me to format 'D', because that's all I have at the
> > moment,
> > > unless I recover those hidden 40G's.
> > > That definitely is the general route I am going to persue.
> > > Thank you very much.
> > >
> > > Harry < 0 > .
> > >

> > > "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o qbkucAPFHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> of

> > you

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:06:22 PM

Jack:

The Easter Bunny was extremely kind to me this year.
And I am aextremely greatful.

news:o T24JNSQFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!