Max number of files under a folder

Is there any max number of files under a folder in NTFS system?

Thanks,

Ray
10 answers Last reply
More about number files folder

    In news:%23skJ70$OFHA.164@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Ray <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> had this to say:

    > Is there any max number of files under a folder in NTFS system?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    This one took a bit of looking about...

    There is no limit to the number of files in a folder on an NTFS formatted
    drive. The maximum file size is 16 TB - 64 kb for some odd reason...

    Here:

    Reviewing File Server Limits; Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/sdccc_fsv_duel.asp

    Galen

    Hmmm - I have to ask why this question is being put in a newsgroup devoted
    to an OS that doesn't natively support NTFS??

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

    In news:u63Z$HCPFHA.2384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Noel Paton <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> had this to say:

    > Hmmm - I have to ask why this question is being put in a newsgroup
    > devoted to an OS that doesn't natively support NTFS??

    Buggered if I know but I did have a good time looking that one up. Maybe
    they're thinking about upgrading to XP? I didn't bother to ask myself why.
    Somethings I just don't want to know. <g>

    Galen

    Why ask 'why' ... when 'how' is so much more fun?

    ;-)

    * In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
    * http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

    > Hmmm - I have to ask why this question is being put in a newsgroup devoted
    > to an OS that doesn't natively support NTFS??

    ....trouble is, that "How" frequently ends up as "Ow!"
    :)

    --

    > Why ask 'why' ... when 'how' is so much more fun?
    >
    > ;-)

    > * In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
    > * http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Hmmm - I have to ask why this question is being put in a newsgroup
    >> devoted to an OS that doesn't natively support NTFS??

    <lol> Tried it have you then Richard <vbg>
    Joan

    Richard G. Harper wrote:
    > Why ask 'why' ... when 'how' is so much more fun?
    >
    > ;-)

    <lol> And we all know that feeling <g>
    Joan

    Noel Paton wrote:
    > ....trouble is, that "How" frequently ends up as "Ow!"
    > :)

    I rarely recommend something that I haven't tried myself first. :-)

    "Joan Archer" <joanarcher@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > <lol> Tried it have you then Richard <vbg>
    > Joan
    >
    > Richard G. Harper wrote:
    >> Why ask 'why' ... when 'how' is so much more fun?

    Please accept my apology of putting a question in a wrong newsgroup. I
    should put it in Windows XP one.

    Ray

    "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any max number of files under a folder in NTFS system?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    No problem, Ray - I hope you got some enlightenment from the ensuing
    discussion!<g>

    --

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > Please accept my apology of putting a question in a wrong newsgroup. I
    > should put it in Windows XP one.
    >
    > Ray
    >
    > "Ray" <NoSpam-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there any max number of files under a folder in NTFS system?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Ray

NTFS Microsoft Windows