Scheduled Tasks

In the Scheduled Tasks window (of my Windows Millenium operating system) I
have two tasks whose performance I am in doubt about:

1. PCHealth Scheduled for Data Collection. It is presently scheduled to
run every 10 minutes.

2. Tune-up Application. It is scheduled to run at multiple schedule times.

These tasks appear to miss running sometimes when they're supposed to. They
have always been a part of the Scheduled Tasks (believe they were factory
set) and I have never, to my knowledge, ever adjusted their schedule, if such
a thing is possible.

Can you advise me if something is possibly amiss here and how to correct;
also, should I be connected to the internet for them to function? I have
attempted to research this problem without success.

Thanks very much.
--
Stewart Fluney
5 answers Last reply

    Stewart:

    I am glad you asked. Thank you.
    I was under the impression, this was an indispensible part of Windows.

    Harry < 0 >.

    "Stewart Fluney" <StewartFluney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In the Scheduled Tasks window (of my Windows Millenium operating system) I
    > have two tasks whose performance I am in doubt about:
    >
    > 1. PCHealth Scheduled for Data Collection. It is presently scheduled to
    > run every 10 minutes.
    >
    > 2. Tune-up Application. It is scheduled to run at multiple schedule
    times.

    > These tasks appear to miss running sometimes when they're supposed to.
    They
    > have always been a part of the Scheduled Tasks (believe they were factory
    > set) and I have never, to my knowledge, ever adjusted their schedule, if
    such
    > a thing is possible.
    >
    > Can you advise me if something is possibly amiss here and how to correct;
    > also, should I be connected to the internet for them to function? I have
    > attempted to research this problem without success.
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    > --
    > Stewart Fluney

    Tune-up Application.

    You can safely remove this task since once run there is little more for it
    to do.

    PCHealth Scheduled for Data Collection

    This obe you quite definielty want to remove as you should also remove the
    similarly named entry in MSConfig Startup. What follows tries to explain
    the reasoning for this comment.

    The PCHealth entry in MSConfig | Startup and also in the Task Scheduler,
    refers to the PCHealth Scheduler for Data Collection routine (pchschd.exe)
    which launches winmgmt.exe to collect software and hardware configuration
    data that can be accessed using Help & Support's System Information's
    History view. In other words it allows you to see changes over a period of
    time to your system such as drivers. The details collected are contained
    in the files CollectedData???.xml files in the folder
    ...\windows\pchealth\helpctr\DataColl.

    Note that all that pchschd.exe is doing every ten minutes is checking if
    the system is idle or not. If idle it launches winmgmt.exe to collect the
    information and sets itself to run again in 6 hours, if not it continues
    to run at ten minute intervals until it finds the system is idle.

    As to whether you need this historic data or not, only you can decide. A
    number of us have long since decided to disable pchschd.exe having no use
    for the collected data. It should be noted that if you contact MS or an
    OEM for help that it is possible that they might request you send them
    these files. If you do choose to disable pchschd.exe it is ESSENTIAL to
    delete/disable it from both MSConfig | Startup and the Task Scheduler as
    otherwise the startup entry will recreate the Task Scheduler entry when
    the system is rebooted.

    One advantage of disabling the PCHealth Scheduler is that it minimizes the
    chances of winmgmt.exe causing problems. What happens is that quite often
    winmgmt.exe doesn't exit correctly when it has finished but instead
    remains resident and using cpu cycles.

    Note also that disabling these entries does NOT affect either System
    Restore or System File Protect, nor AutoUpdate or your ability to use Help
    & Support, all part of what Microsoft call "PCHealth".
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Stewart Fluney <StewartFluney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > In the Scheduled Tasks window (of my Windows Millenium operating
    > system) I have two tasks whose performance I am in doubt about:
    >
    > 1. PCHealth Scheduled for Data Collection. It is presently
    > scheduled to run every 10 minutes.
    >
    > 2. Tune-up Application. It is scheduled to run at multiple schedule
    > times.
    >
    > These tasks appear to miss running sometimes when they're supposed
    > to. They have always been a part of the Scheduled Tasks (believe
    > they were factory set) and I have never, to my knowledge, ever
    > adjusted their schedule, if such a thing is possible.
    >
    > Can you advise me if something is possibly amiss here and how to
    > correct; also, should I be connected to the internet for them to
    > function? I have attempted to research this problem without success.
    >
    > Thanks very much.

    Thank you for the clarification, Mike.
    It was an eye opener to me.

    Harry < 0 >.

> [...]
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Stewart Fluney <StewartFluney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In the Scheduled Tasks window (of my Windows Millenium operating
    > > system) I have two tasks whose performance I am in doubt about:
    > >
    > > 1. PCHealth Scheduled for Data Collection. It is presently
    > > scheduled to run every 10 minutes.
    > >
    > > 2. Tune-up Application. It is scheduled to run at multiple schedule
    > > times.
    > >
    > > These tasks appear to miss running sometimes when they're supposed
    > > to. They have always been a part of the Scheduled Tasks (believe
    > > they were factory set) and I have never, to my knowledge, ever
    > > adjusted their schedule, if such a thing is possible.
    > >
    > > Can you advise me if something is possibly amiss here and how to
    > > correct; also, should I be connected to the internet for them to
    > > function? I have attempted to research this problem without success.

    Mike Maltby:

    Many thanks for the information regarding the two Scheduled Tasks I enquired
    about. It has been very helpful and is much appreciated.

    Stewart Fluney

    Stewart,

    Pleased to have been able to help.

    Regards,
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Stewart Fluney <StewartFluney@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Many thanks for the information regarding the two Scheduled Tasks I
    > enquired about. It has been very helpful and is much appreciated.

Microsoft Windows