Windows Me Configuration Fault

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 8, 2005 4:41:06 PM

20:30 08/04/2005

I am a relatively novice computer user and require some urgent help. The
answer may be in Microsoft documentation but I have not the experience to
find may way round it and understand the technical matters.

When downloading a Microsoft Explorer update approximately four weeks ago
the download appeared ok but when I re-booted the computer I got the
following:

"Could not upgrade the configuration from %1 to %2.
%1 %2."

This was repeated a number of times and then the computer continued
configuring the rest of the files.

The same thing happened when re-booting after other changes.

On trying to install Norton Internet Security the first message I get was
that on installation had been made but was not complete and I was asked to
re-boot the computer.

Again got similar configuration message and when the computer finally
re-booted cleanly on trying to load Norton I received the same error message.

1. What action should I take?

2. If Windows Me has to be re-installed I have a Dell supplied restoration
disk but there is no mention of Outlook Express or Internet Explorer. Is
this included inside Windows Me?

3. Restoration disk is over 2 years old. If I re-install will Explorer and
Outlook Express get automatically upgraded to latest modifications?

4. Will my Favorites be remembered? If not, how can I save them?

I have one other "fault" on my computer which has obviously been
self-inflicted in error but I am unable to remove it.

Somehow I have ended up with a "taskbar" for My Computer which on startup
appears across the top of my desktop.

The desktop appears first with a gap at the top of the screen which then
gets filled by the My Computers taskbar.

5. How do I remove this "taskbar"?

Please advise urgently.

Thanks

Martin Palmer
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 12:44:30 AM

Your %1/%2 error is caused usually by Norton LiveUpdate, corrupting the
System Restore archive - although there are other possible causes.

Do a Search for the file WININIT.INI - if you find it, then rename it to
WININIT.JNK, and reboot - your problem should be gone.

If you don't find it, then try this - Start|Run - enter SCANREG /FIX into
the dialog box, and click OK - windows will reboot - see if that fixes it.

If not, then open Windows Explorer - check in Folder Properties that you are
able to view Hidden and System files (two settings), then Search on your PC
for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to completely
remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to be
the easiest at present.

Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at the
A:\> prompt.

ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST

remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to Windows
Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder

HTH

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

"Tree View House" <Tree View House@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BEA44452-D27E-45E9-98D5-4E2C2877BEEF@microsoft.com...
> 20:30 08/04/2005
>
> I am a relatively novice computer user and require some urgent help. The
> answer may be in Microsoft documentation but I have not the experience to
> find may way round it and understand the technical matters.
>

> When downloading a Microsoft Explorer update approximately four weeks ago
> the download appeared ok but when I re-booted the computer I got the
> following:
>
> "Could not upgrade the configuration from %1 to %2.
> %1 %2."
>
> This was repeated a number of times and then the computer continued
> configuring the rest of the files.
>
> The same thing happened when re-booting after other changes.
>
> On trying to install Norton Internet Security the first message I get was
> that on installation had been made but was not complete and I was asked to
> re-boot the computer.
>
> Again got similar configuration message and when the computer finally
> re-booted cleanly on trying to load Norton I received the same error
> message.
>
> 1. What action should I take?
>
> 2. If Windows Me has to be re-installed I have a Dell supplied
> restoration
> disk but there is no mention of Outlook Express or Internet Explorer. Is
> this included inside Windows Me?
>
> 3. Restoration disk is over 2 years old. If I re-install will Explorer
> and
> Outlook Express get automatically upgraded to latest modifications?
>
> 4. Will my Favorites be remembered? If not, how can I save them?
>
> I have one other "fault" on my computer which has obviously been
> self-inflicted in error but I am unable to remove it.
>
> Somehow I have ended up with a "taskbar" for My Computer which on startup
> appears across the top of my desktop.
>
> The desktop appears first with a gap at the top of the screen which then
> gets filled by the My Computers taskbar.
>
> 5. How do I remove this "taskbar"?
>

> Please advise urgently.
>
> Thanks
>
> Martin Palmer
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 12:44:31 AM

Very many thanks for your reply which exremely informative and helpful.
Will advise you of outcome when I have given all this a try.

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> [...]
> > message.
> >
> > 1. What action should I take?
> >
> > 2. If Windows Me has to be re-installed I have a Dell supplied
> > restoration
> > disk but there is no mention of Outlook Express or Internet Explorer. Is
> > this included inside Windows Me?
> >
> > 3. Restoration disk is over 2 years old. If I re-install will Explorer
> > and
> > Outlook Express get automatically upgraded to latest modifications?
> >
> > 4. Will my Favorites be remembered? If not, how can I save them?
> >
> > I have one other "fault" on my computer which has obviously been
> > self-inflicted in error but I am unable to remove it.
> >
> > Somehow I have ended up with a "taskbar" for My Computer which on startup
> > appears across the top of my desktop.
> >
> > The desktop appears first with a gap at the top of the screen which then
> > gets filled by the My Computers taskbar.

April 9, 2005 8:03:02 PM

23:53 09/04/2005

I have now followed your instructions.

As you suspected the cause of the configuration problem was almost certainly
due to Live Update with 65,000 files in C:\_RESTORE which were removed by DOS
with now 3 files and 1 folder.

On trying to install Norton Internet Security the installation is now
blocked due to Norton Antivirus not being uninstalled.

I am unable to do this due to C:\PROGRAM\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAV95.ini not
being found in a search on my hard disk.
The problem was that the Norton Antivirus was installed as a freebie from
AOL and the activate/deactivate switch was on the AOL Home page. Possibly I
could have uninstalled the program correctly if I had done so before
uninstalling AOL.

Please advise how I can successfully uninstall Norton Antivirus.

Apart from GIF images and Shortcuts I have the following coming up for
Search for Norton:

Norton Antivirus folder in C:\WINDOWS\Start Menus\Progams
Norton Antivirus folder in C:\Programmes (with fairly large content)
Norton Rescue folder in C:\Programmes (with fairly large content)

Please advise if can safely uninstall all of programme by deleting all above.

thanks very much.

Martin Palmer
"Tree View House" wrote:

> [...]
> > > message.
> > >
> > > 1. What action should I take?
> > >
> > > 2. If Windows Me has to be re-installed I have a Dell supplied
> > > restoration
> > > disk but there is no mention of Outlook Express or Internet Explorer. Is
> > > this included inside Windows Me?
> > >
> > > 3. Restoration disk is over 2 years old. If I re-install will Explorer
> > > and
> > > Outlook Express get automatically upgraded to latest modifications?
> > >
> > > 4. Will my Favorites be remembered? If not, how can I save them?
> > >
> > > I have one other "fault" on my computer which has obviously been
> > > self-inflicted in error but I am unable to remove it.
> > >
> > > Somehow I have ended up with a "taskbar" for My Computer which on startup
> > > appears across the top of my desktop.
> > >
> > > The desktop appears first with a gap at the top of the screen which then
> > > gets filled by the My Computers taskbar.

Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:08:12 PM

NAV is a PITA to remove - try running RNAV2003 from here

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001...

--

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> [...]
>> > for files named '_RESTORE' (without the quotes) - you should find the
>> > C:\_RESTORE folder - r-click on it, and select Properties.
>> > How many files/folders are there? If it's around 64 thousand, then
>> > LiveUpdate has been up to its tricks again, and you'll have to
>> > completely
>> > remove the folder from DOS - use the following method, which seems to
>> > be
>> > the easiest at present.
>> >
>> > Reboot to DOS using your Startup disk enter the following commands at
>> > the
>> > A:\> prompt.
>> >
>> > ATTRIB -R -H -S C:\_RESTORE
>> > REN C:\_RESTORE OLDREST
>> >
>> > remove the floppy, and reboot to normal windows. - your error should be
>> > gone, and you should now have a new, single restore point. Go to
>> > Windows
>> > Explorer, and delete the C:\OLDREST folder

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:39:01 PM

Many thanks this sorted problem and got rid of NAV.

Please answer questions 2 to 5 of my original query just for my information.
Have a new problem with USB driver which will be posting tomorrow.

Your help has been much appreciated

Martin

"Noel Paton" wrote:

> NAV is a PITA to remove - try running RNAV2003 from here
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001...
>

> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "Tree View House" <TreeViewHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > 23:53 09/04/2005
> >
> > I have now followed your instructions.
> >
> > As you suspected the cause of the configuration problem was almost
> > certainly
> > due to Live Update with 65,000 files in C:\_RESTORE which were removed by
> > DOS
> > with now 3 files and 1 folder.
> >
> > On trying to install Norton Internet Security the installation is now
> > blocked due to Norton Antivirus not being uninstalled.
> >
> > I am unable to do this due to C:\PROGRAM\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAV95.ini not
> > being found in a search on my hard disk.
> > The problem was that the Norton Antivirus was installed as a freebie from
> > AOL and the activate/deactivate switch was on the AOL Home page. Possibly
> > could have uninstalled the program correctly if I had done so before
> > uninstalling AOL.
> >
> > Please advise how I can successfully uninstall Norton Antivirus.
> >
> > Apart from GIF images and Shortcuts I have the following coming up for
> > Search for Norton:
> >
> > Norton Antivirus folder in C:\WINDOWS\Start Menus\Progams
> > Norton Antivirus folder in C:\Programmes (with fairly large content)
> > Norton Rescue folder in C:\Programmes (with fairly large content)
> >

> > Please advise if can safely uninstall all of programme by deleting all
> > above.
> >

> > thanks very much.
> >
> > Martin Palmer
> > "Tree View House" wrote:
> >
> >> Very many thanks for your reply which exremely informative and helpful.
> >> Will advise you of outcome when I have given all this a try.

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:05:23 PM

2. It's probably on your Restore Disk

3. <shrug> maybe, doubt it; if it doesn't, go to Windows Update. Maybe
somebody will tell you how to save the updates folder you have now (I'm
not sure)

4. Look for a folder called "Favorites", copy it somewhere. When you've
reinstalled copy it back.

5. Right-click on the toolbars, select "Toolbars" and uncheck the
"MyComputer" toolbar.

Rick T

Tree View House wrote:
> Many thanks this sorted problem and got rid of NAV.
>
> Please answer questions 2 to 5 of my original query just for my information.
> Have a new problem with USB driver which will be posting tomorrow.
>
> Your help has been much appreciated
>
> Martin
>
> "Noel Paton" wrote:
>

>>NAV is a PITA to remove - try running RNAV2003 from here
>>
>>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001...
>>

>>--
>>Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>>
>>Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
>>http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
>>
>>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
>>
>>"Tree View House" <TreeViewHouse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>23:53 09/04/2005
>>>
>>>I have now followed your instructions.
>>>
>>>As you suspected the cause of the configuration problem was almost
>>>certainly
>>>due to Live Update with 65,000 files in C:\_RESTORE which were removed by
>>>DOS
>>>with now 3 files and 1 folder.
>>>
>>>On trying to install Norton Internet Security the installation is now
>>>blocked due to Norton Antivirus not being uninstalled.
>>>
>>>I am unable to do this due to C:\PROGRAM\NORTON ANTIVIRUS\NAV95.ini not
>>>being found in a search on my hard disk.
>>>The problem was that the Norton Antivirus was installed as a freebie from
>>>AOL and the activate/deactivate switch was on the AOL Home page. Possibly
>>>could have uninstalled the program correctly if I had done so before
>>>uninstalling AOL.
>>>
>>>Please advise how I can successfully uninstall Norton Antivirus.
>>>
>>>Apart from GIF images and Shortcuts I have the following coming up for
>>>Search for Norton:
>>>
>>>Norton Antivirus folder in C:\WINDOWS\Start Menus\Progams
>>>Norton Antivirus folder in C:\Programmes (with fairly large content)
>>>Norton Rescue folder in C:\Programmes (with fairly large content)
>>>

>>>Please advise if can safely uninstall all of programme by deleting all
>>>above.
>>>

>>>thanks very much.
>>>
>>>Martin Palmer

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:08:41 AM

Martin,

> 2. If Windows Me has to be re-installed I have a Dell supplied
> restoration disk but there is no mention of Outlook Express or
> Internet Explorer. Is this included inside Windows Me?

Internet Explorer and Outlook Express are integral part of the Win Me
operating system.

> 3. Restoration disk is over 2 years old. If I re-install will
> Explorer and Outlook Express get automatically upgraded to latest
> modifications?

Yes. These, together with many other updates including the all essential
290700 update for system restore, will be offered to you when you visit
the Windows Update site.

> 4. Will my Favorites be remembered?

No, since most but not necessarily all recovery CDs restore the system to
the state it was in when first delivered with the loss of all later files
including Outlook Express message store, your documents, pictures, music
etc. These will all need to be backed up.

> If not, how can I save them?

You can save your Favourites either by backing up the folder (by default
C:\Windows\Favorites) or by using File | Import & Export | Export
Favorites whilst in Internet Explorer.

> 5. How do I remove this "taskbar"?

Right click on a blank space on the Task bar, then put your cursor on
Toolbars from the menu that pops up and uncheck My Computer on the
fly-out..
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com