Partitionate a 60Gb hard disk

Hello, newsgroup

I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.

I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on disk.

How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?

TIA,
--
Gabriel Menini

||| replace domain spamhole.com with sg-guarani.org |||

IT Support
Guarani Aquifer System Project

RTFM - or....
on the Win ME CD (this is a Win ME group after all!) - open the file
CLEANHD.TXT using Edit from the floppy boot.
or
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

"Gabriel Menini" <gmenini@spamhole.com> wrote in message
> Hello, newsgroup
>
> I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
> format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.
>
> I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on disk.
>
> How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?
>
> TIA,
> --
> Gabriel Menini
>
> ||| replace domain spamhole.com with sg-guarani.org |||
>
> IT Support
> Guarani Aquifer System Project

See KB255867 - "How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition
or Repartition a Hard Disk" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255867).
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Gabriel Menini wrote:
> Hello, newsgroup
>
> I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
> format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.
>
> I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on disk.
>
> How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?
>
> TIA,

With MS FDISK you get a maximum of 5 data partitions (1 primary and 4
logical in an extended partition). If you want more you're gonna have
to read up on linux fdisk a little deeper.

Rick

Wrong way around, Rick!!
To save me making a total fool of myself....
http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

--

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Noel Paton wrote:
> Wrong way around, Rick!!
> To save me making a total fool of myself....
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

the URL doesn't mention how to use FDISK.

umm....aha... a little editing is in order...

Make your first partition Primary
Make your second partition Extended to the end of the disk
Make Logical partitions to fill in the Extended partition to your
heart's content.

there we go.

Rick

Yes!! that's what you should use, or actually use Fdisk on the WinME
installation CD....

"Gabriel Menini" <gmenini@spamhole.com> wrote in message
> Hello, newsgroup
>
> I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
> format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.
>
> I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on disk.
>
> How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?
>
> TIA,
> --
> Gabriel Menini
>
> ||| replace domain spamhole.com with sg-guarani.org |||
>
> IT Support
> Guarani Aquifer System Project

> the URL doesn't mention how to use FDISK.

Unlike KB255867, details of which I posted to this thread nearly two weeks
ago. :)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com