Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Partitionate a 60Gb hard disk

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:00:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Hello, newsgroup

I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.

I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on disk.

How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?

TIA,
--
Gabriel Menini

||| replace domain spamhole.com with sg-guarani.org |||

IT Support
Guarani Aquifer System Project
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:16:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

RTFM - or....
on the Win ME CD (this is a Win ME group after all!) - open the file
CLEANHD.TXT using Edit from the floppy boot.
or
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/clean.htm

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Gabriel Menini" <gmenini@spamhole.com> wrote in message
news:e8HVoWHPFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hello, newsgroup
>
> I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
> format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.
>
> I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on disk.
>
> How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?
>
> TIA,
> --
> Gabriel Menini
>
> ||| replace domain spamhole.com with sg-guarani.org |||
>
> IT Support
> Guarani Aquifer System Project
>
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:34:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

See KB255867 - "How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition
or Repartition a Hard Disk" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=255867).
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Gabriel Menini <gmenini@spamhole.com> wrote:

> Hello, newsgroup
>
> I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
> format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.
>
> I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on
> disk.
>
> How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?
Related resources
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 6:03:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Gabriel Menini wrote:
> Hello, newsgroup
>
> I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
> format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.
>
> I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on disk.
>
> How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?
>
> TIA,

With MS FDISK you get a maximum of 5 data partitions (1 primary and 4
logical in an extended partition). If you want more you're gonna have
to read up on linux fdisk a little deeper.


Rick
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 12:52:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Wrong way around, Rick!!
To save me making a total fool of myself....
http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's

"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23NHMWMdRFHA.3788@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Gabriel Menini wrote:
>> Hello, newsgroup
>>
>> I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
>> format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.
>>
>> I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on disk.
>>
>> How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?
>>
>> TIA,
>
> With MS FDISK you get a maximum of 5 data partitions (1 primary and 4
> logical in an extended partition). If you want more you're gonna have to
> read up on linux fdisk a little deeper.
>
>
> Rick
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 12:52:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Noel Paton wrote:
> Wrong way around, Rick!!
> To save me making a total fool of myself....
> http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm
>

the URL doesn't mention how to use FDISK.

umm....aha... a little editing is in order...

Make your first partition Primary
Make your second partition Extended to the end of the disk
Make Logical partitions to fill in the Extended partition to your
heart's content.


there we go.


Rick
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 2:13:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Yes!! that's what you should use, or actually use Fdisk on the WinME
installation CD....

"Gabriel Menini" <gmenini@spamhole.com> wrote in message
news:e8HVoWHPFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hello, newsgroup
>
> I'm about to partion a 60Gb hard disk in six 10Gb partitions and then
> format them in FAT32 system in order to install MS-Windows98SE.
>
> I've tried GNU/Linux fdisk on it, but it takes the whole space on disk.
>
> How can I get it done using fdisk for MS-DOS?
>
> TIA,
> --
> Gabriel Menini
>
> ||| replace domain spamhole.com with sg-guarani.org |||
>
> IT Support
> Guarani Aquifer System Project
>
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 5:39:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

> the URL doesn't mention how to use FDISK.

Unlike KB255867, details of which I posted to this thread nearly two weeks
ago. :-)
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> the URL doesn't mention how to use FDISK.
>
> umm....aha... a little editing is in order...
>
> Make your first partition Primary
> Make your second partition Extended to the end of the disk
> Make Logical partitions to fill in the Extended partition to your
> heart's content.
>
>
> there we go.
!