Anti-Virus recommendations

I use a free antivirus called BitDefender. I'm looking for opinions on this
software. Download.com recommended it fairly highly.

Wouldn't be my first choice, but it has regularly received the monthly VB100%
award, which is recognised as the benchmanrk for most AV apps, and for a free
version, stands alongside the other excellent freeware AV programs, AVG and
Avast.

"J. Ascher" wrote:

> I use a free antivirus called BitDefender. I'm looking for opinions on this
> software. Download.com recommended it fairly highly.

Thanks for your comments. I tried Avast, but found out a lot of people
recommending it on download.com were Avast employees and the software itself
wasn't very cutomizable.

James

"putasolutions" wrote:

> Wouldn't be my first choice, but it has regularly received the monthly VB100%
> award, which is recognised as the benchmanrk for most AV apps, and for a free
> version, stands alongside the other excellent freeware AV programs, AVG and
> Avast.
>
> "J. Ascher" wrote:
>
> > I use a free antivirus called BitDefender. I'm looking for opinions on this
> > software. Download.com recommended it fairly highly.

James:

Try it again and this time take a closer look:
How can you possibly ask for a more comprehensive and
effective AV program that is free of cost to you?

Harry <0>.

"J. Ascher" <JAscher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your comments. I tried Avast, but found out a lot of people
> recommending it on download.com were Avast employees and the software
itself
> wasn't very cutomizable.
>
> James
>
> "putasolutions" wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't be my first choice, but it has regularly received the monthly
VB100%
> > award, which is recognised as the benchmanrk for most AV apps, and for a
free
> > version, stands alongside the other excellent freeware AV programs, AVG
and
> > Avast.
> >
> > "J. Ascher" wrote:
> >
> > > I use a free antivirus called BitDefender. I'm looking for opinions on
this
> > > software. Download.com recommended it fairly highly.

Thanks for the recommendation. I reinstalled Avast and it found *and
eliminated* viruses that BitDefender didn't! It seems BD is a buggy program.

James

"webster72n" wrote:

> James:
>
> Try it again and this time take a closer look:
> How can you possibly ask for a more comprehensive and
> effective AV program that is free of cost to you?
>
> Harry <0>.
>

> "J. Ascher" <JAscher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for your comments. I tried Avast, but found out a lot of people
> > recommending it on download.com were Avast employees and the software
> itself
> > wasn't very cutomizable.
> >
> > James
> >
> > "putasolutions" wrote:
> >
> > > Wouldn't be my first choice, but it has regularly received the monthly
> VB100%
> > > award, which is recognised as the benchmanrk for most AV apps, and for a
> free
> > > version, stands alongside the other excellent freeware AV programs, AVG
> and
> > > Avast.

> this

The Virus Bulletin
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/

ICSA Labs - TrueSecure Corp.
http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certifiedproducts.shtml

AV-Test
http://www.av-test.org/

University of Hamburg Computer Science Dept.
http://agn-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/vtc

--
Jack E Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP Shell/User /DTS
In Memorium: Alex Nichol
> Thanks for the recommendation. I reinstalled Avast and it found *and
> eliminated* viruses that BitDefender didn't! It seems BD is a buggy
program.

> James
>
> "webster72n" wrote:
>

> > James:
> >
> > Try it again and this time take a closer look:
> > How can you possibly ask for a more comprehensive and
> > effective AV program that is free of cost to you?
> >
> > Harry <0>.
> >

> > "J. Ascher" <JAscher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for your comments. I tried Avast, but found out a lot of people
> > > recommending it on download.com were Avast employees and the software
> > itself
> > > wasn't very cutomizable.
> > >
> > > James

> > VB100%
> > free
AVG
> > and

> > this

That is very informative, Jack and should give James
enough clues to make up his own mind.
This computer business is in reality a science in its own right, when one
considers how complicated and intriguing it can be.
Thanks for the guidance.

Harry.