Using old CPU in new motherboard

I'm putting a system together for my brother to replace his old
Pentium III system. All he uses the machine for is Internet and things
like Word, Excel, etc.

I have an old 1.0GHZ 266FSB Athlon and 512M of memory that is running
on an old MSI K7T266 PRO (MS-6380). I'd like to install the CPU and
memory into a MSI K7N2GM2-LSR.

Does anyone know if this processor will work with this MB or is it to
old?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about using motherboard

    Here's the CPU support list for the K7N2GM2-LSR:

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=619&kind=1

    I see no 1.0 GHz/266 MHz CPUs (really 7.5X133) on the list, but I know
    little about Socket A Athlons.

    Good luck.

    Bob Knowlden

    <leeleduc@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > I'm putting a system together for my brother to replace his old
    > Pentium III system. All he uses the machine for is Internet and things
    > like Word, Excel, etc.
    >
    > I have an old 1.0GHZ 266FSB Athlon and 512M of memory that is running
    > on an old MSI K7T266 PRO (MS-6380). I'd like to install the CPU and
    > memory into a MSI K7N2GM2-LSR.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this processor will work with this MB or is it to
    > old?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi
    The new motheboard support AMD socket A Athlon
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-130-477&DEPA=0
    so you should not have any problem installing that CPU in the new
    motherboard
    However, you did not tell us what type of memory you got?? is it DDR or not
    If yes then the new motherboard supports it too.. It sipports DDR300/266 Max
    2G

    Hope that helps

    <leeleduc@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > I'm putting a system together for my brother to replace his old
    > Pentium III system. All he uses the machine for is Internet and things
    > like Word, Excel, etc.
    >
    > I have an old 1.0GHZ 266FSB Athlon and 512M of memory that is running
    > on an old MSI K7T266 PRO (MS-6380). I'd like to install the CPU and
    > memory into a MSI K7N2GM2-LSR.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this processor will work with this MB or is it to
    > old?
    >
    > Thanks

    I have 512M (2X256) DDR PC2100.

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:33:55 -0500, "userme" <userme@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >The new motheboard support AMD socket A Athlon
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-130-477&DEPA=0
    > so you should not have any problem installing that CPU in the new
    >motherboard
    >However, you did not tell us what type of memory you got?? is it DDR or not
    >If yes then the new motherboard supports it too.. It sipports DDR300/266 Max
    >2G
    >
    >Hope that helps
    >
    ><leeleduc@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm putting a system together for my brother to replace his old
    >> Pentium III system. All he uses the machine for is Internet and things
    >> like Word, Excel, etc.
    >>
    >> I have an old 1.0GHZ 266FSB Athlon and 512M of memory that is running
    >> on an old MSI K7T266 PRO (MS-6380). I'd like to install the CPU and
    >> memory into a MSI K7N2GM2-LSR.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if this processor will work with this MB or is it to
    >> old?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Yes you can use that memory.. go a head and install both the old cpu in the
    new motherboard and the memory as well
    In the BIOS set the FSB to 133Mhz, but i think that would be done
    automatically..good luck

    >I have 512M (2X256) DDR PC2100.
    >
    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 13:33:55 -0500, "userme" <userme@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>The new motheboard support AMD socket A Athlon
    >>http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-130-477&DEPA=0
    >> so you should not have any problem installing that CPU in the new
    >>motherboard
    >>However, you did not tell us what type of memory you got?? is it DDR or
    >>not
    >>If yes then the new motherboard supports it too.. It sipports DDR300/266
    >>Max
    >>2G
    >>
    >>Hope that helps
    >>
    >><leeleduc@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >>> I'm putting a system together for my brother to replace his old
    >>> Pentium III system. All he uses the machine for is Internet and things
    >>> like Word, Excel, etc.
    >>>
    >>> I have an old 1.0GHZ 266FSB Athlon and 512M of memory that is running
    >>> on an old MSI K7T266 PRO (MS-6380). I'd like to install the CPU and
    >>> memory into a MSI K7N2GM2-LSR.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know if this processor will work with this MB or is it to
    >>> old?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

Homebuilt Motherboards Systems